Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
GojiMet86

LIRR overcharging New Yorkers

Posted (edited)

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-edit-great-train-robbery-20190809-7hjxhiy72vd3nnklqkqsjz6tku-story.html

Great train robbery: The LIRR is overcharging New Yorkers for thousands of trips

By DAILY NEWS EDITORIAL BOARD

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |AUG 09, 2019 | 4:05 AM

Take the Long Island Rail Road between Queens and Brooklyn? You may well be overpaying.

Last summer, the good people at the MTA slashed prices for a subset of LIRR riders. With the debut of something called Atlantic Ticket, anyone traveling between any combination of three Brooklyn stations (Atlantic Terminal, Nostrand Ave. and East New York) and seven Queens stations (Jamaica, Hollis, Queens Village, Locust Manor, St. Albans, Laurelton and Rosedale)— would pay just $5 each way.

It was designed to encourage people to avoid the hellish overcrowded mess of Penn in Manhattan. A couple of months ago, they kept the pilot program going. Nice.

Trouble is, they’ve been collecting full fare from thousands of people all along, extracting a few extra bucks a pop from riders who fail to press a special button on ticket machines.

The smart, fair thing to do would be to just program the machines to charge anyone asking for any eligible trip $5. Instead, only those clued in to ignore the “one-way” and “round-trip” buttons and press "Atlantic Tickets” unlock the special deal.

It adds up. A one-way peak trip between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica or anywhere in Queens costs $10.75 ($7.75 off-peak). A one-way for seniors is $5.25. Trips just within Brooklyn are $9 one-way peak, $6.50 off-peak.

If the month of May, when the MTA sold 23,000 overpriced tickets between these 10 stations, is representative, people have paid too much for more than 300,000 trips over the last year. Fix it now.

Edited by GojiMet86

Lovely. The MTA has little incentive to save everyone money by making the Atlantic Ticket automatic, so I doubt they will start doing so now. 

The Atlantic Ticket is valid only on the day of purchase; the regular one-way and round-trip tickets (peak or off-peak) are valid for 60 days. Regular tickets can also be extended to other zones (by paying the difference in price); Atlantic Tickets cannot be extended and their dollar value cannot be extended to a different ticket, nor can they be used for trips to/from Penn Station. 

It's sort of like how the airlines sell more expensive tickets with very flexible fare rules (fully refundable, changeable, etc) and cheaper tickets that have huge penalties for canceling or making changes.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Two2Go said:

The Atlantic Ticket is valid only on the day of purchase; the regular one-way and round-trip tickets (peak or off-peak) are valid for 60 days. Regular tickets can also be extended to other zones (by paying the difference in price); Atlantic Tickets cannot be extended and their dollar value cannot be extended to a different ticket, nor can they be used for trips to/from Penn Station. 

It's sort of like how the airlines sell more expensive tickets with very flexible fare rules (fully refundable, changeable, etc) and cheaper tickets that have huge penalties for canceling or making changes.

I mean, those are stupid restrictions. It's not as if any of them are the point.

Now that the LIRR is (allegedly) looking at getting rid of cash-on-board, extending regular tickets is going to be a thing of the past.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, bobtehpanda said:

I mean, those are stupid restrictions. It's not as if any of them are the point.

Now that the LIRR is (allegedly) looking at getting rid of cash-on-board, extending regular tickets is going to be a thing of the past.

Those restrictions are exactly the point. It's why they don't automatically sell everyone an Atlantic Ticket. If you were buying a one-way ticket from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal and were planning on using it tomorrow, or two weeks from now, and found out they sold you a cheaper ticket that expired on the day of purchase, you'd be beyond furious. It's better to give people a choice between the two options than force them into an option that doesn't work for them.

If you're arguing to get rid of the Atlantic Ticket and just lower the price of peak and off-peak tickets to $5, then that's an entirely different conversation.

If and when they get rid of cash, we will still be able to accept credit cards to pay step ups, extend tickets, etc.

• Upvote 2

On 8/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, bobtehpanda said:

With most of the tickets that I extend, passengers use a card.  However I do agree getting rid of cash transactions is stupid.

6 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Those restrictions are exactly the point. It's why they don't automatically sell everyone an Atlantic Ticket. If you were buying a one-way ticket from Jamaica to Atlantic Terminal and were planning on using it tomorrow, or two weeks from now, and found out they sold you a cheaper ticket that expired on the day of purchase, you'd be beyond furious. It's better to give people a choice between the two options than force them into an option that doesn't work for them.

If you're arguing to get rid of the Atlantic Ticket and just lower the price of peak and off-peak tickets to $5, then that's an entirely different conversation.

If and when they get rid of cash, we will still be able to accept credit cards to pay step ups, extend tickets, etc.

I mean to say that the restriction on using them day-of-purchase is stupid and customer-hostile. The only people that really pleases are the bean counters.

Other than CityTicket, I am unaware of any other tickets any MTA agency sells that are limited to day-of-purchase.

7 hours ago, Two2Go said:

They should at least program the MVMs (and instruct ticket agents, if they don’t already) to give a message along the lines of “if you are planning on using this ticket TODAY to the chosen station, a cheaper option is the Atlantic Ticket” when someone tries to purchase a ticket along the route. But of course, that costs them even more money. And who knows if those old ass machines can even handle that extra step lol. 

I actually believe all commuter rail tickets should expire within two hour of purchase to prevent reuse.

Maybe offer a more flexible version that is double the price

1 hour ago, Mtatransit said:

I actually believe all commuter rail tickets should expire within two hour of purchase to prevent reuse.

I don't even know how to respond...

9 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

I mean to say that the restriction on using them day-of-purchase is stupid and customer-hostile. The only people that really pleases are the bean counters.

Other than CityTicket, I am unaware of any other tickets any MTA agency sells that are limited to day-of-purchase.

Atlantic ticket is technically a study, I wonder if the restrictions are for daily sale/use metrics. Also, I wonder if that's why they only sell weeklies and not monthlies

3 hours ago, Lex said:

"No" would be the correct response, lol

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Lex said:

I don’t see what’s so bad about it. It’s done all over the world. 

Too many times you have people buying a ticket from Forest Hills to Penn Station and using the ticket 5-6 times because usually the conductor already went through

On 8/15/2019 at 10:01 PM, Mtatransit said:

Maybe offer a more flexible version that is double the price

On 8/16/2019 at 3:59 AM, Mtatransit said:

I don’t see what’s so bad about it. It’s done all over the world. 

Too many times you have people buying a ticket from Forest Hills to Penn Station and using the ticket 5-6 times because usually the conductor already went through

The conductor not getting around to punching a ticket is not the passenger's problem & is no reason whatsoever that tickets should have a ridiculous expiration period..... That would subject thousands of people in the morning & during whenever they get out of work to have to rush to a (limited amount of) TVM's to buy a ticket.... This is an agency that's opting to remove paper schedules from bus stops to cut costs & you expect them to come out of nowhere to install a bunch of TVM's all over the place to support this lunacy of 2 hour ticket expiration dates?

Honestly, it doesn't help that they run but so few trains on some branches over others.... Something like that would literally cause fights; pushing & shoving on line to get a ticket so that they won't miss "their train"....

I don't think you realize how many people buy daily tickets on the LIRR/MNRR.....

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

The conductor not getting around to punching a ticket is not the passenger's problem & is no reason whatsoever that tickets should have a ridiculous expiration period..... That would subject thousands of people in the morning & during whenever they get out of work to have to rush to a (limited amount of) TVM's to buy a ticket.... This is an agency that's opting to remove paper schedules from bus stops to cut costs & you expect them to come out of nowhere to install a bunch of TVM's all over the place to support this lunacy of 2 hour ticket expiration dates?

Honestly, it doesn't help that they run but so few trains on some branches over others.... Something like that would literally cause fights; pushing & shoving on line to get a ticket so that they won't miss "their train"....

I don't think you realize how many people buy daily tickets on the LIRR/MNRR.....

My vision for the railroad, is for the railroad to be converted to something similar to Europe, where its proof of purchase is normal. Doing so, will reduce staffing requirement for the LIRR when it comes to collecting fares.

Maybe they should be taking a page from NJT light rail and have ticket validators at all stations. the cost of installation will be outweighted by savings in labor.

Tickets in turn will no longer have an expiration date like NJT.