Museum of Sex Ads are Front and Center on MTA Buses Again

WestFarms36

Link to Article: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2019/08/03/museum-of-sex-ads-front-and-center-on-buses-again-new-york-city-mta

BY DAN RIVOLI NEW YORK CITY 
PUBLISHED 9:37 PM ET AUG. 02, 2019

What goes on behind closed doors is again front and center on New York City buses.

Advertisements for the Museum of Sex on buses, which drew complaints last year, are causing a new stir.

To Joann Marrone, a mother of two in Middle Village, Queens, the ads, plastered on bus after bus rolling down Metropolitan Avenue, are inappropriate for a neighborhood with many families.

"I was just shocked. I couldn't believe that the MTA actually agreed to this to make money. Honestly," she said. "I'm a mom and I have kids to worry about."

"Tired of my 9 year old and her friends pointing it out and asking me what kind of 'museum' is this exactly."She wrote on Facebook, "Tired of my 9 year old and her friends pointing it out and asking me what kind of 'museum' is this exactly."

"Most moms agreed with me, that the MTA can find better things to advertise on their buses, and the museum could actually find better places to put it," Marrone said.

This mother agrees: "It is a family-orientated neighborhood. And some things are a little too expressive," she said. "I agree with those that say they shouldn't be on the bus."

Last year, some women bus drivers for the MTA complained that passengers were making lewd comments to them because of ads promoting the Museum of Sex. The MTA said it was sympathetic to the drivers and would move the museum's ads to the back of buses.

But the museum's latest round of ads is sitting in the front again, though MTA officials say there is a key difference: the new ads contain an address for the museum, so riders know it's a real place to visit.

MTA officials said they haven't received any complaints about the new ads.

One city councilman from south Brooklyn, Chaim Deutsch, wants them gone, tweeting on Thursday, "MTA — these ads must be removed immediately. Any ad that provokes harassment should be denied."

A spokesperson from the Museum of Sex did not return a request for comment.

We found many New Yorkers happy to ride along with the Museum of Sex's ads.

"The MTA has a source of revenue," a dad said. "I mean, it's just a museum. You have a choice to either go, or not to go."

"I don't think the word 'sex' is a danger for my kids," one mother said. "I'm rather afraid of people who are around me, not about the word 'sex.'""I don't think the word 'sex' is a danger for my kids," one mother said. "I'm rather afraid of people who are around me, not about the word 'sex.'"

The MTA has the right to censor ads that are indecent, but officials we spoke to said it would be difficult to consider these ads that way.

Oh my god! My children saw the word “sex”! Oh the horrors...

I can understand why the ads shouldn’t be on the front due to the harassment issues, but it’s not like they are doing some serious damage to children since they won’t care if the parents lie... 

Middle Village has always been one of the more conservative parts of the borough, so I'm not really surprised by those comments. Any talking point (moreso) nowadays including some phrase with the family ("traditional family" , "family oriented") has become codeword for conservatism, which is why I can't take some seriously when it gets brought up, especially since the word 'sex' gets thrown by that age anyways (or maybe even younger). 

The same parents who state that they follow "familial values" tend to have kids who end up doing that exact opposite of what they've been instilled to follow, when no one is looking, because they want to do what mommy and daddy told them not to do.

OTOH, I can understand the councilmember's objection, which appears to be a more rational response.

5 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Last year, some women bus drivers for the MTA complained that passengers were making lewd comments to them because of ads promoting the Museum of Sex. The MTA said it was sympathetic to the drivers and would move the museum's ads to the back of buses.

This is actually a legitimate complaint. The rest of the article is just pearl clutching.

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

This is actually a legitimate complaint. The rest of the article is just pearl clutching.

Honestly, people making lewd comments to the drivers over ads for that museum says more about the maturity of those people than anything else...

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Agreed. People these days want to be so censored over everything, I don't mind the Ads, and there is no reason for (MTA) to prohibit The Museum of Sex to advertise on a spot they've paid for 5800+ Buses, the problem is people these days forget about Freedom of Speech, and if they are so triggered over those Ads, why don't they also do something about their passports too? Cuz if you look at your Passport it says "Sex" not Gender. Just these entitled snowflakes complaining over free speech.

6 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Agreed. People these days want to be so censored over everything, I don't mind the Ads, and there is no reason for (MTA) to prohibit The Museum of Sex to advertise on a spot they've paid for 5800+ Buses, the problem is people these days forget about Freedom of Speech, and if they are so triggered over those Ads, why don't they also do something about their passports too? Cuz if you look at your Passport it says "Sex" not Gender. Just these entitled snowflakes complaining over free speech.

As a normal passenger, of course YOU don’t mind. I don’t mind them either TBH. But you don’t know what female drivers were going through last year.

4 hours ago, Snorunts said:

As a normal passenger, of course YOU don’t mind. I don’t mind them either TBH. But you don’t know what female drivers were going through last year.

The problem with those Ads extend far beyond context, and it has turned into more of a societal issue where you have immature people, perverts, sexual predators, or some areas of the city where the population in General uses things like these with the intention of trying to Sexually Harass Operators, or make them extremely uncomfortable, as the Female Operators are concerned, (MTA) should've learned from the last time they advertised those ads, and should have had them Advertised on the rear of Buses, or consult with the Female workforce, etc over these Ads.

Edited by WestFarms36

19 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Then we disagree because that's not what I was saying at all...

On 8/10/2019 at 3:29 AM, WestFarms36 said:

....and if they are so triggered over those Ads, why don't they also do something about their passports too? Cuz if you look at your Passport it says "Sex" not Gender. Just these entitled snowflakes complaining over free speech.

Then you get into this issue.

20 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

The problem with those Ads extend far beyond context, and it has turned into more of a societal issue where you have immature people, perverts, sexual predators, or some areas of the city where the population in General uses things like these with the intention of trying to Sexually Harass Operators, or make them extremely uncomfortable, as the Female Operators are concerned, (MTA) should've learned from the last time they advertised those ads, and should have had them Advertised on the rear of Buses, or consult with the Female workforce, etc over these Ads.

Besides did the (MTA) restructure those ads last year and put them in the rear of buses only in the Manhattan Division and express bus depots?...

On 8/9/2019 at 10:06 PM, Around the Horn said:

Is the problem shitty ads or shitty people?

Anyone dumb enough to wisecrack because there's an ad with the word "sex" is probably not otherwise a church-going Good Samaritan.