Why do MetroCards expire?

Deucey

They should just charge more and provide better quality cards. They are part of the environmental problem when they make cheap disposable sheets of plastic available at nearly no cost. What I’d like is an aluminum card built to last a decade or more. Give the cards a premium feel and people will be less inclined to leave their cards everywhere.

I've had my reduced fare card since 2017 and it doesn't expire anytime soon. However my picture on the card is Fading away, I use my card a lot and I mean A LOT and the stripe is still holding up strong.

I do get nervous when I use the SBS machines though since those machines sometimes eat Metrocards and don't spit them back out.

1 hour ago, Lance said:

Why bother when they'll be gone in a year or two? The OMNY cards however should be much more durable (and expire less frequently). Hopefully.

Of course they will... It's tap and go versus swiping or dipping... 

-----------------------------------------------------

To answer the question, it's basically what others have said... Wear and tear on the card makes it difficult to read over time.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, B35 via Church said:

Supposedly, due to eventual wear & tear, the MTA claims that it can't access data on the card after 3 years....

Personally, I think it's nothing more than a money grab.....

I can see that, but why have an expiration date of one year after sale basically?

The cards had expiration dates before they started charging a dollar for them.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, N6 Limited said:

I can see that, but why have an expiration date of one year after sale basically?

The cards had expiration dates before they started charging a dollar for them.

https://www.amny.com/transit/metrocards-shouldn-t-expire-city-councilman-paul-vallone-1.11839056

The point of charging a dollar  was to try to cut down on the piles of metrocards by readers which were out of cash and discarded haphazardly then people would just buy a new one. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you refill an expiring metrocard aren't you given one free of charge or given one free when exchanged at the booth?

4 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

The point of charging a dollar  was to try to cut down on the piles of metrocards by readers which were out of cash and discarded haphazardly then people would just buy a new one. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you refill an expiring metrocard aren't you given one free of charge or given one free when exchanged at the booth?

Exchanges are free. Buying a new one carries the surcharge.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:25 PM, Lance said:

Why bother when they'll be gone in a year or two? The OMNY cards however should be much more durable (and expire less frequently). Hopefully.

The only reason that a tap card would expire is if it has debit card feature on it like SEPTA Key has and Ventra had. In those cases MasterCard's security rules apply

If you want to tack this onto your list of reasons to hate SEPTA, know that the three-year expiration is a security rule set by MasterCard, the partner agency that helps produce the cards.

“As part of the agreement with them, that’s a standard,” Busch said.

from: https://billypenn.com/2019/05/31/what-to-do-when-your-septa-key-expires-and-why-thats-a-thing/

On 8/12/2019 at 7:25 PM, Lance said:

Alot of contactless cards I believe don't expire. the ones that have a prepaid card in the back usually do (Ventra, Key). I'm not sure if thats the path MTA is heading towards.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:27 PM, B35 via Church said:

Personally, I think it's nothing more than a money grab.....

Especially at commuter rail vending machines, they charge you $1 to buy a Metrocard and now require you to buy a R/T ticket, completely ignoring the needs of NICE Bus/Bee Line commuters. 

Edited by Mtatransit