Seniority, anyone?

RokuSix

I had read that the (1) line is the highest seniority for a train operator. How do the other lines rate in terms of superiority? After training for the position, how is a new operator placed? Does he get to choose?

Thanks for answering. I hope it's not too many questions.

I had read that the (1) line is the highest seniority for a train operator. How do the other lines rate in terms of superiority? After training for the position, how is a new operator placed? Does he get to choose?

From what I've gathered, you can be assigned to any train in your division (either A or ;) on any given day.

From what I've gathered, you can be assigned to any train in your division (either A or ;) on any given day.

When you get the ability to pick you put job bids. Depending on your seniority, you either get it or dont. Depends on the other t/o bidding on the same job have.

Whooooooah, what have YOU been reading?!?:eek: The (1) is in fact one of the LOWEST seniority lines, however, starting in December, it will be gaining status amongst those with seniority, but in no way will have reached high seniority status like the (3)(5)(A) or (V).

After training for the division that you have been placed in, you will go everywhere and anywhere within that division. One day could be the (1) at 242 St, the next could be a (3) at New Lots Av, the following could be a (4) at Woodlawn; you can only work in the division in which you have been assigned to and cannot work say the (2) one day and the (G) the next. You'll eventually get to choose a steady run after about two years as a Train Operator, sooner as a Conductor. As far as seeing part of the weekend off (i.e. Fri/Sat or Sun/Mon off on the PM tour) it'll come after 7-8 years as a T/O in the A Division, but ten years in the B. F/S or S/M off on the AM shift? About twelve years will be required.

Whooooooah, what have YOU been reading?!?:eek: The (1) is in fact one of the LOWEST seniority lines, however, starting in December, it will be gaining status amongst those with seniority, but in no way will have reached high seniority status like the (3)(5)(A) or (V).

Good, cause I love de one ZMon. Equipment great, brakes great. Maybe in 18 months I can pick a 40hr job there, and do at leat one RDO per pay check (one every two weeks). Then I will live on the 1 line.........

Well I certainly hope that you can get a (1), but after having all that money added onto the (1) line for the upcoming December pick, I have a feeling that the next low seniority line on the PM's will definitely be the (2). That isn't to say that you couldn't get rdo relief pieces on the (1), but I have a strong feeling that by the time you come around to picking that you'll be working a boat load of deuces...and I'm rarely wrong about this stuff. After all, poop attracts flies.

Well I certainly hope that you can get a (1), but after having all that money added onto the (1) line for the upcoming December pick, I have a feeling that the next low seniority line on the PM's will definitely be the (2). That isn't to say that you couldn't get rdo relief pieces on the (1), but I have a strong feeling that by the time you come around to picking that you'll be working a boat load of deuces...and I'm rarely wrong about this stuff. After all, poop attracts flies.

I'll take the (2) then, since it seems the new South Ferry will put money back on the (1) line, making it high seniority once again. The (6) I hear is a rookie line too, but I can't stand that line. Too many timers, and too many grades.........

Looking for money in the IRT means you need seniority/ and/or, are a glutton for punishment. That being the case the money jobs right now are on the(2)(3)(4)(5)<5>. Next pick that may change as we start picking on 11/10. No one knows what the new jobs pay except the line supers, pick section, and maybe the union.

No one knows what the new jobs pay except the line supers, pick section, and maybe the union.

Of course the union knows. In fact, the union knows before the pick section AND the line supers. I should know as I am the one who gets the pick books about one month before the pick sequence begins, then I have to write a detailed report on the changes from the current to the proposed pick so that the union can make change requests and lodge objections. This is why I said before that the (1) is getting primo $$$ because I've seen it with my own eyes.

Yea, me too, isn't it the same pay for both divisions?

Yes it is. But some jobs take longer to finish than others, so there is built in mandatory overtime. That's what we call the "money jobs" or "penalties."

Of course the union knows. In fact, the union knows before the pick section AND the line supers. I should know as I am the one who gets the pick books about one month before the pick sequence begins, then I have to write a detailed report on the changes from the current to the proposed pick so that the union can make change requests and lodge objections. This is why I said before that the (1) is getting primo $$$ because I've seen it with my own eyes.

Yes it is. But some jobs take longer to finish than others, so there is built in mandatory overtime. That's what we call the "money jobs" or "penalties."

I have to agree with you there, but some of us talk to the people in Operations and Planning Dept. and we also see those" Not for Distribution" programs and comment on them too. Remember the Lenox Division ((2)(3)(5) ) lines ? I've been scanning those proposals since way back then. Not for money jobs but just to pick up on conflicts in the timetables where you had too many scheduled arrivals, put-ins, and departures scheduled for a given location in too tight a time frame.

I've looked at the (1) line work program and don't see many big $$$ jobs. I did notice some jobs starting at South Ferry terminal so they must plan on opening up by 12/21 when the pick goes in effect. Still more $$$ on the (2),(4), and (5) lines.

No the (V) is not a rookie Line its a very SR Line line on AM's and PM's its a JR Line. The (L) is a very rookie line now.

Just look at the board!!! The V has a few senior guys but not many. Senior to me is 3 digits or less. The L isn't a rookie line either it's the same people that have always picked the L nothings changed. It has a very loyal group that picks it, they must live close to canarsie.

Archived