Seniority, anyone?

RokuSix

I do look at the board and I don't know what your looking at? I got more Option open to pick on the (L) Line then the (V). The (V) jobs with the Lay Ups are low but still JR guys and Rookies picking it RDO REL. Hell the (E)(F) Lines had Regular jobs open while all (V) jobs were closed Exept RDO REL. It not the most SR line but not too much of a rookie Line. The (V) isn't my favorite line but I kind of like Not going to Brooklyn.

Hey its a lot shorter turning at 2 AV instead of going to 95 St or Stillwell and less cab time 40 Minutes each way instead of 1 HR amd 30Min the running time may be more or less.

I will be on the (R) on Sundays.

That's a valid enough reason right there. I don't blame ya Dave. Maybe in the begining of your career you wouldn't have mind taking the longer route into Brooklyn.

Looking for money in the IRT means you need seniority/ and/or, are a glutton for punishment. That being the case the money jobs right now are on the(2)(3)(4)(5)<5>. Next pick that may change as we start picking on 11/10. No one knows what the new jobs pay except the line supers, pick section, and maybe the union.

I would've thought that the 7 is a high seniority line since it's relatively short and has a nice express run

I would've thought that the 7 is a high seniority line since it's relatively short and has a nice express run

The 7 used to be a very high seniority line. Then they changed the jobs and added alot of trips. It used to be almost all 3 trippers.

The 7 used to be a very high seniority line. Then they changed the jobs and added alot of trips. It used to be almost all 3 trippers.

The (7) was a high seniority line 20 or 25 years ago. When I broke in the guy I trained with told me that I might be lucky enough to pick a job on the line in 15 years or so. They had decent equipment back then and not too much cab time. The (2) was the Beast in those days, two trips from 241 st to New Lots. Now two trips on the deuce pays more than the three or more trips on the (7) and the equipment is more modern. Heck, I could go to the (7) and pick out over 95 % of the guys today but cab time is more important to me than $$$. A motorman instructor told us years ago that the more trips you make the greater chance of encountering trouble in your career.

cab time is more important to me than $$$. A motorman instructor told us years ago that the more trips you make the greater chance of encountering trouble in your career.

I completely agree. That's why I haven't been down the road since early Dec. 2005

I don't get the cab time thing. Aren't all employees paid by the hour? or per trip they do? Also if you like the job wouldn't you want to spend MORE time in the cab? I know I would.

All T/O's are paid by the hour. The more time spent in the cab the more possiblility of losing your job. You must remember that this is a company that HATES its employees and has zero respect for the job that they do.

The TA expects you to be 100% perfect for your entire 25+ year career like a machine. Any mistake or bad day and they try and fire you, or at the least make you a cleaner.

So when you put in a bid for a job, you only do that line for the number of trips listed on the job and that's it? or you have to fill your 40 hour week with jobs?

This job is incredibly tiring you must have what is called recovery time in between trips. This is getting shorter and shorter as the TA does more work with less employees.

Each line has a different number of trips per job depending on the running time. For example the most trips you can do on the A is 2 while the most you can do on the G is 6. It's not easy going up and down the road giving your full concentration, dealing with the public, not being able to use the bathroom. People don't realize the stress of the job until you do it for a few years.

I second that, and that's from working on both sides of the TA people moving departments.......

I agree with you , Jah , and Dave 100%. For the poster who seems to like cab time believe me this train ( or bus ) operation is not fun by any means. Even the newest, most eager train or bus operator becomes jaded rather quickly. This is a J-O-B , not fun, not even for the biggest train or bus buffs out there. Lives are at stake on every trip you make from the terminal or depot. One mistake by you or the supervisors above you can lead to demotion or dismissal no matter how many years the operator has been operating safely. All responsibility ultimately falls on the operator. John or Jane Q. Public will wipe the smile off your face rather quickly no matter how much you enjoy doing your job. That's why so many experienced people become train switchmen or bus shifters and stay off the road. What some posters think of as fun, well we have MACs full of train and bus operators being tested for high blood pressure when most of us were perfectly healthy when we were hired. The less cab time or wheel time the healthier you are.

Archived