MTA Release: Subway Performance Continues Year Over Year Improvement – On-Time Performance Remains Over 80%, Up from 66% in July 2018

http://www.mta.info/news/2019/08/19/subway-performance-continues-year-over-year-improvement-–-time-performance-remains

Overall Subway Performance Remains Strong Despite Three Separate Major Instances in July that Impacted Service

Weekday Trains Delayed Decreased by 41.4% in July 2019 Compared to July 2018

Weekday Major Incidents Decreased 20.3% in July 2019 Compared to July 2018

july_performance.jpg?itok=q5l_YXAh july2019_0.jpg?itok=q-WHo3f-

MTA New York City Transit has announced new statistics showing the continued improvement in subway performance that have been achieved since the launch of the Subway Action Plan (SAP) and the Save Safe Seconds campaign. Year-over-year subway performance improvements continued in July, consistent with a months-long recent trend.

Performance statistics remained strong despite the three challenging incidents that severely impacted service in the month of July, notably the power failure that impacted the west side of Manhattan, a failure of the Automatic Train Supervision (ATS) system on the numbered lines, and switch issues that occurred in Brooklyn. If these issues had not occurred, on-time performance would have been 82.6%, the highest in more than 6 years. 

Overall subway performance continued its steady improvement in June 2019, with every weekday metric better than both June 2018 and the average of the past 12 months. On-time performance has continued to improve, and major incidents have declined over July 2018, while all other customer-centric performance numbers are also pointing higher. 

Weekday on-time performance (OTP) for July was 81.1%, up from 66% in July 2018. Weekday major incidents decreased 20.3% from June 2018, dropping from 69 to 55 in July 2019. Furthermore, weekday train delays decreased 41.4% from last June, from 58,294 to 34,173.

Positive numbers were also realized in many of NYC Transit’s customer-focused metrics, including Service Delivered, Additional Platform Time, Additional Train Time, and Customer Journey Time Performance, as all metrics were better than one year ago and better than their average performance over the past 12 months. Specifically, Additional Train Time decreased to 51 seconds, a drop of 32.9% from July last year, while Customer Journey Time Performance improved to 83.8%, up 4.2% from July 2018.

A contributing factor to the reduction in delays has been the significant progress made in reducing track debris fires, which are significantly down since NYCT started attacking this problem with new equipment in 2017. This has included clearing debris at an unprecedented rate using new platform-based mobile vacs, and vacuum trains that move around the system picking up trash. Year to date, track debris fires are down 74, from 215 to 141, and they are down 135 for the previous 12 months, from 402 to 267. 

I seriously question this “80%” figure with all the yellow holding lights, delays to get into the terminal, and what-not. Their very definition of “on-time” is suspect. The (N) has improved dramatically after the construction on Sea Beach finished up though. I can hop on a 7:18 train at Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue and still get to Canal Street by 8:00 (sometimes). Even pre-construction when the (N) was full-express, it had problems covering the same distance in a timely manner, with trains leaving the terminal at 7:12 often getting to Canal Street later than 8:00; if I didn’t catch the 7:05 train, getting to work on-time would be a crapshoot.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I saw an increase of 127.4% on weekend terminal OTP and was sightly surprised until I realized it was the (R) ...

I guess that's a small start. Too bad the damn train is still unreliable at all points in between.

14 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I saw an increase of 127.4% on weekend terminal OTP and was sightly surprised until I realized it was the (R) ...

I guess that's a small start. Too bad the damn train is still unreliable at all points in between.

I wonder how much of that is because they make the late trains skip stops. Then the trains are counted as on-time according to their generous definitions?

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

I wonder how much of that is because they make the late trains skip stops. Then the trains are counted as on-time according to their generous definitions?

Last I checked, trains that skip stops because they're late are counted as such.

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

If you skip any stop not skipped per schedule, you're counted as late regardless of whether you are or are not at the terminal. 

18 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

86.4% for the (R) is complete nonsense...

You may not be stuck waiting 30 minutes anymore but you're still waiting 15-20 on the regular...

Agreed, I take the (R) Monday-Friday and I see trains running between every 6-20 mins during Rush Hour. Horrendously inconsistent. Additionally there's always considerable bunching on the (R), DAILY.

Edited by R32s

5 hours ago, R32s said:

Agreed, I take the (R) Monday-Friday and I see trains running between every 6-20 mins during Rush Hour. Horrendously inconsistent. Additionally there's always considerable bunching on the (R), DAILY.

Just this evening there was a 17 minute gap with 4 trains bunched right behind each other because of the first (R) being held at Cortlandt behind a (W) at Rector held waiting for the middle track at Whitehall to clear... Pure madness...

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Just this evening there was a 17 minute gap with 4 trains bunched right behind each other because of the first (R) being held at Cortlandt behind a (W) at Rector held waiting for the middle track at Whitehall to clear... Pure madness...

I second this, there was a 24 minute gap between the (R) I was on and the next one so I have a hard time believing that the one time performance improved that greatly. Plus there was an (R) in front of the one I was on at Forest Hills so of course we were delayed.