MTA to consider express bus service to Hudson Yards

Via Garibaldi 8

Today 6:00 AM

ZTMDXRJHUFBDRGUZ7H73OVGS5U.JPG

Jan Somma-Hammel

Commuters board a SIM6 express bus. (Staten Island Advance/Jan Somma-Hammel)

By Erik Bascome | tbascome@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- As more and more companies begin setting up shop in Hudson Yards on the West Side of Manhattan, the MTA will monitor the changing transit demands and consider adding direct express bus service to the area.

In a recent meeting with the Staten Island Advance’s editorial board, when asked about the possibility of direct express bus service from Staten Island to Hudson Yards, MTA New York City Transit President Andy Byford said it was something the agency will consider as demand increases.

“Transit should be demand-led, and obviously, with huge development that’s going on in Hudson Yards and all the new office buildings going up, we’re keeping a very close on eye on that,” Byford said.

“So that is something, absolutely, that we’ll want to keep under tight review, and as and when we believe there is sufficient latent demand there, then we will need to address that with service,” he added.

During the meeting, Borough President Oddo noted that Staten Island’s fast ferry service, scheduled to launch sometime in 2020, will service the West Side of Manhattan, with stops at Battery Park City/Vesey Street and Midtown West at Pier 79/West 39th Street.

“The fast ferry service that will start in the summer of 2020 will provide some options for some folks on the West Side. And let today be the last Aug. 15 that Staten Island does not have fast ferry service,” Oddo said.

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2019/08/mta-to-consider-express-bus-service-to-hudson-yards.html

46 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Today 6:00 AM

ZTMDXRJHUFBDRGUZ7H73OVGS5U.JPG

Jan Somma-Hammel

Commuters board a SIM6 express bus. (Staten Island Advance/Jan Somma-Hammel)

By Erik Bascome | tbascome@siadvance.com

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- As more and more companies begin setting up shop in Hudson Yards on the West Side of Manhattan, the MTA will monitor the changing transit demands and consider adding direct express bus service to the area.

In a recent meeting with the Staten Island Advance’s editorial board, when asked about the possibility of direct express bus service from Staten Island to Hudson Yards, MTA New York City Transit President Andy Byford said it was something the agency will consider as demand increases.

“Transit should be demand-led, and obviously, with huge development that’s going on in Hudson Yards and all the new office buildings going up, we’re keeping a very close on eye on that,” Byford said.

“So that is something, absolutely, that we’ll want to keep under tight review, and as and when we believe there is sufficient latent demand there, then we will need to address that with service,” he added.

During the meeting, Borough President Oddo noted that Staten Island’s fast ferry service, scheduled to launch sometime in 2020, will service the West Side of Manhattan, with stops at Battery Park City/Vesey Street and Midtown West at Pier 79/West 39th Street.

“The fast ferry service that will start in the summer of 2020 will provide some options for some folks on the West Side. And let today be the last Aug. 15 that Staten Island does not have fast ferry service,” Oddo said.

Source: https://www.silive.com/news/2019/08/mta-to-consider-express-bus-service-to-hudson-yards.html

This should of been on the list a long time ago during the express bus revamp. Hopefully this new service can provide direct access to Hudson Yards.

Also, there needs to be a Staten Island, Bay Ridge to Downtown Brooklyn express service. The (R) train is pretty horrendous.  I don’t know how much of a market there is for service between Staten Island and Downtown Brooklyn. (At least peak service 6-10am and 3-8 pm.)  I hope the TA can also monitor the development in Downtown Brooklyn also. 

22 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

This should of been on the list a long time ago during the express bus revamp. Hopefully this new service can provide direct access to Hudson Yards.

Also, there needs to be a Staten Island, Bay Ridge to Downtown Brooklyn express service. The (R) train is pretty horrendous.  I don’t know how much of a market there is for service between Staten Island and Downtown Brooklyn. (At least peak service 6-10am and 3-8 pm.)  I hope the TA can also monitor the development in Downtown Brooklyn also. 

As more employers settle in Downtown Brooklyn / MetroTech / Dumbo an express bus service will become necessary. Maybe even a Bay Ridge-Park Slope-Downtown Bklyn route for Brooklynites too. But with the MTA's new express bus numbering scheme the route may be designated 'SIB-1'. We will then have SIMs and SIBs. Let's say that Long Island City is eventually included. Can you say 'SIBQ-1'? 🙂

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news/office/brooklyn-office-market-97168

Edited by Dan1

14 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

It's been discussed numerous times going back to the redesign. At that time, the (MTA) didn't want to do it.  They've maintained that they want to run the service as a new service to Hudson Yards.  I brought it up earlier this year when I was over at Hudson Yards one morning, and spoke about it with another person who runs one of the Staten Island express bus advocacy groups who interacts daily with the (MTA). One idea thrown around was to extend one or two routes further north that runs Downtown.  Seems the (MTA) doesn't want that, as they are concerned about Manhattan congestion.  They want to focus on more direct, shorter routes. 

As for a Downtown Brooklyn route, I don't see that happening, at least not now. They are focusing on "latent" demand, and for now latent demand means serving the Central Business Districts of Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, Dan1 said:

As more employers settle in Downtown Brooklyn / MetroTech / Dumbo an express bus service will become necessary. But with the MTA's new express bus numbering scheme the route may be designated 'SIB-1'. We will then have SIMs and SIBs. Let's say that Long Island City is eventually included. Can you say 'SIBQ-1'? 🙂

Yeah, it may happen eventually. I know people who used to work by the World Trade Center. Offices moved after 9/11 to Downtown Brooklyn.  They would take the express bus into to Downtown and transfer to the subway. Not that big of a deal quite frankly.  I'm not even sure what sort of routing you would take.

24 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

If we're talking about (yet another) route between Bay Ridge and (at least the vicinity of) Downtown Brooklyn, it would be better off being structured more like, say, the B103. Trying to put it with routes like the x27 and BM2 would cause it to unravel much sooner.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

If we're talking about (yet another) route between Bay Ridge and (at least the vicinity of) Downtown Brooklyn, it would be better off being structured more like, say, the B103. Trying to put it with routes like the x27 and BM2 would cause it to unravel much sooner.

Outside of the Staten Island NYCT express bus lines, Bay Ridge west of 3rd Avenue has the ridership and $$$ to afford the service.  Bay Ridge along with Dyker Heights as well... That is why they have the express bus along Shore Rd.  It's a schlepp to the subway and it's MUCH quicker via the express bus.  I talked with the (MTA) about the (R) train actually during the first meeting for a bit (it just came up in conversation during discussions about Bay Ridge express bus service) and while the (MTA) is considering some things for the (R) it still remains quite unreliable overall, not to mention the ADA accessibility issues.

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

I was thinking something to that nature. Not necessarily an (X) or (BM) option. I mean a Shore Road-65th Street to Downtown Brooklyn doesn’t seem bad at all during peak hours. But again the TA will tell it’s commuters that train service is avail b/w Bay Ridge and Downtown which needs to be addressed in the most serious way. 

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

6 hours ago, Dan1 said:

As more employers settle in Downtown Brooklyn / MetroTech / Dumbo an express bus service will become necessary. Maybe even a Bay Ridge-Park Slope-Downtown Bklyn route for Brooklynites too. But with the MTA's new express bus numbering scheme the route may be designated 'SIB-1'. We will then have SIMs and SIBs. Let's say that Long Island City is eventually included. Can you say 'SIBQ-1'? 🙂

The problem with a Downtown Brooklyn service is that the HOV lane leads right to the tunnel, whereas drivers would have to get out of the HOV to reach the local streets to get to Downtown Brooklyn (and LIC you'd have to take the BQE all the way up...as someone who lives on Staten Island and works in LIC I would never take an express bus to LIC. I'd stick with the subway to/from a SIM bus)

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's been discussed numerous times going back to the redesign. At that time, the (MTA) didn't want to do it.  They've maintained that they want to run the service as a new service to Hudson Yards.  I brought it up earlier this year when I was over at Hudson Yards one morning, and spoke about it with another person who runs one of the Staten Island express bus advocacy groups who interacts daily with the (MTA). One idea thrown around was to extend one or two routes further north that runs Downtown.  Seems the (MTA) doesn't want that, as they are concerned about Manhattan congestion.  They want to focus on more direct, shorter routes. 

As for a Downtown Brooklyn route, I don't see that happening, at least not now. They are focusing on "latent" demand, and for now latent demand means serving the Central Business Districts of Manhattan.

They can reroute the SIM10 (and hopefully its Father Capodanno equivalent) and SIM31. No need to extend any Downtown route. That woman also agrees with me on that.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

They can reroute the SIM10 (and hopefully its Father Capodanno equivalent) and SIM31. No need to extend any Downtown route. That woman also agrees with me on that.

Sure they can, but I don't see that happening at the moment. They've expressed wanting to run a service directly to Hudson Yards.  Maybe that'll change.  We'll see...

I would've said for them to send the SIM7/9/33 out there honestly.

I'd give it a year or two to see how much demand would actually arise. Express Bus demand from the Far West Side to parts of The Bronx is on the rise, but it's also still early to determine whether it's worthy for service or not to/from The Bronx or Staten Island.

Edited by Cait Sith

Just now, Cait Sith said:

I would said for them to send the SIM7/9/33 out there honestly.

I'd give it a year or two to see how much demand would actually arise. Express Bus demand from the Far West Side to parts of The Bronx is on the rise, but it's also still early to determine whether it's worthy for service or not to/from The Bronx or Staten Island.

Yeah, I spoke with a planner about the BxM18 proposal to Hudson Yards. He could only say that it was a new service they were trying.  What I haven't seen is any data showing the need for such a service, and our comments reflect that in our review of the BxM proposals.  As for Staten Island service, I think it will happen eventually, which is why that private vendor was run out that wanted to start the service.

4 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The problem with a Downtown Brooklyn service is that the HOV lane leads right to the tunnel, whereas drivers would have to get out of the HOV to reach the local streets to get to Downtown Brooklyn (and LIC you'd have to take the BQE all the way up...as someone who lives on Staten Island and works in LIC I would never take an express bus to LIC. I'd stick with the subway to/from a SIM bus)

@checkmatechamp13: I agree with you. No SI to LIC express bus service.

However, for the Downtown Brooklyn portion of the route buses won’t need to use the HOV. I’d say create a bus only lane on 3rd Avenue underpass to Hamilton Ave. Both intersections have 4 lane traffic. The bigger question is enforcement of those bus lanes. 

Depending on the market. I’d do a few stops in Staten Island, 1 stop on 92nd off the highway, 86th and 4th, and 1 stop along Shore Road to 3rd Avenue underpass non stop to Downtown Brooklyn // Brooklyn Bridge Park Pier 6 or Cadman Plaza. 

On 8/21/2019 at 10:21 AM, Future ENY OP said:

@Future ENY OP, there was the R8X from Pt Richmond to Downtown Bklyn — discontinued in 1990 due to low ridership. They should either make the (W) have more service in Brooklyn during the rush hours (and run it express to 59 St) or have a diamond (R) train doing the same thing in Brooklyn.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, Jova42R said:

@Future ENY OP, there was the R8X from Pt Richmond to Downtown Bklyn — discontinued in 1990 due to low ridership. They should either make the (W) have more service in Brooklyn during the rush hours (and run it express to 59 St) or have a diamond (R) train doing the same thing in Brooklyn.

I’m just now seeing this. However, right now the sea beach line is in a complete disarray. They are repairing the express tracks at 59th and 4th. Honestly, a Port Richmond and or Mariners Harbor to Cadman Plaza-Brooklyn Bridge Park (Pier 1 or 6) with a Bay Ridge stop could work if marketed correctly. 

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’m just now seeing this. However, right now the sea beach line is in a complete disarray. They are repairing the express tracks at 59th and 4th. Honestly, a Port Richmond and or Mariners Harbor to Cadman Plaza-Brooklyn Bridge Park (Pier 1 or 6) with a Bay Ridge stop could work if marketed correctly. 

You can market it any which way you want, it honestly won't work. The demand simply isn't there.

22 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’m just now seeing this. However, right now the sea beach line is in a complete disarray. They are repairing the express tracks at 59th and 4th.

Honestly, a Port Richmond and or Mariners Harbor to Cadman Plaza-Brooklyn Bridge Park (Pier 1 or 6) with a Bay Ridge stop could work if marketed correctly. 

Not for nothing, but throughout life, growing up & what not, I've always wondered how many people from the other outerboroughs worked in Downtown Brooklyn....

There's nothing to suggest that that number hasn't increased since the pre-MetroTech days, but I can't picture Downtown Brooklyn being an area where people are being catered via an express bus to get to/from it.... Maybe I'm biased as a life-long Brooklynite, IDK.....

My suggestion would be to revamp the SIM9 to provide the service, extended to Columbus Circle. The route will make limited stops to keep it reliable and operate in the peak period only. To compensate for the loss of service on 6th Ave to Union Square, additional SIM7 service would be added.

Again, this is my personal proposal from a guy who does not even drive express (this pick) and absolutely nothing below, nada, is being considered by NYCT/Operations Planning to which I have ZERO involvement with:

On Staten Island, the route would start at the Eltingville Transit Center and parallel the s79-SBS to Midland Ave making similar stops followed by a limited amount of stops on Midland and FR Cap including the South Beach P&R.

In Manhattan it would make the following Columbus Circle-bound stops:

1) West/Carlisle (High Demand)
2) West/Warren (High Demand)
3) West/N. Moore (High Demand)

The route would follow our existing Central Park South/6th Ave deadhead route up West St to 14th to 10th Ave and make the following stops:

4) 10th Ave / W. 16 St
5) 10th Ave / W. 23 St
6) 10th Ave / W. 34 St (High Demand)
7) 10th Ave / W. 42 St

The route will continue to W. 50 St to 8th Avenue and make the following stops:

8.) 8th Ave / W. 52 St

The route will take 8th Ave to the end terminate at Central Park South and Columbus Circle

9) Central Park South and Columbus Circle

AM Peak service in Manhattan should be relatively reliable on this route and would satisfy anyone needing a one-seat ride from ETC/Hylan corridor to the far West side. Anyone needing Upper West Side/Washington Heights can get off at Columbus Circle and use the subway.

PM service would have some issues that are inherent with the existing Midtown buses. The first stop would be the same AM-drop off. The route would go along Central Park South to 7th Avenue and make its way to 11th Ave via W. 49 St. and continue to West St where it would continue the existing SIM9 route:

1) Central Park South and Columbus Circle
2) 7th Ave and W. 53 St.  (former x1 stop) (Possibly High Demand)
3) W. 49 St / 9th Ave
4) 11th Ave / W. 42 St
5) 11th Ave / W. 34 St (High Demand)
6) 11th Ave/ W. 23 St
7) West N. Moore St
8.) Vesey St/West St (WFC) (High Demand)

The bike lane S/B on West Street prevents a bus stop near 14th St.

Regular existing SIM9 route to Staten Island and extended to the Eltingville Transit Center making limited stops on FR Cap/Midland and similar s79-SBS stops to ETC.

Edited by 161 New York

• 1 year later...

If talks about Staten Island Express service directly to Hudson Yards, Leave all them routes the way they are right now and create a direct route to HY vía far West side: name it SIM12: run it out of Meredith from ETC, shoot it up on Richmond Ave make all stops on the Ave, turn left on SIX via NJT and Lincoln Tunnel. It’s first stop in Manhattan will be 23rd St & 8th Ave, follow by 23/9, 23/10, 27/10, 31/10, 34/10, 34/11, 33/11 and last stop being 31st St & 11th Ave. 

to Staten Island, the SIM12’s first stop is 31st & 11th Ave, then 27/11, 23/11, 23/10, 24/10, 27/10 & 30/10 before hitting the Linc & the NJT on the way back. First stop on SI will be SIX & Richmond Ave, all drop offs on same Ave to ETC. 

peak service: 5:30-8:35a every 20 min & 3:30-7:30 every 20 min

Edited by FLX9304

Maybe the Downtown-only or Greenwich Village routes can be extended north to HY.

Maybe the Lincoln Tunnel routes can exit to 34th, loop over to 10th Avenue to drop off, then go up to 42nd and resume the regular route. Return across 42nd, down 11th to HY, then into the tunnel.

Or maybe people can transfer to the M34 or the (7).

On 8/8/2021 at 3:19 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe the Downtown-only or Greenwich Village routes can be extended north to HY.

Hudson Yards is not remotely that important/sought after to increase the number of expresses that don't serve Midtown in general, to have them serving Midtown.... That's tantamount to over-serving Midtown.... There are a need for Downtown only expresses & runtime (and DH time) has a lot to do with it.... Hell, it's crazy enough where some b/o's would park at (rest at) in Manhattan before they started their outbound trips... There's always the practice of having buses DH straight to the first pickup stop w/ no rest period, but I can't imagine an increasing of that going over all that well from b/o's....

Maybe the Lincoln Tunnel routes can exit to 34th, loop over to 10th Avenue to drop off, then go up to 42nd and resume the regular route. Return across 42nd, down 11th to HY, then into the tunnel.

Ouch....

Instant waste of at least 10 minutes to the AM trips for not much of a benefit... PM trips doing the equivalent would be worse.... You really don't want all (or even some) buses doing this.

Or maybe people can transfer to the M34 or the (7).

Midtown residents are one thing, but the express bus commuter that actually decides to consider the M34 as part of their commute, I would say has other issues.... Serious ones :lol:

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Hudson Yards is not remotely that important/sought after to increase the number of expresses that don't serve Midtown in general, to have them serving Midtown.... 

Maybe not, but if some of the Downtown-only or Greenwich Village runs pull in to Quill for midday parking, then those trips could be extended to Hudson Yards for little or no cost.

19 minutes ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Maybe not, but if some of the Downtown-only or Greenwich Village runs pull in to Quill for midday parking, then those trips could be extended to Hudson Yards for little or no cost.

You want to make it sound like Hudson Yards is an insignificant distance away from either of those parts of Manhattan... The SIM7/9/33 (the, via Greenwich Village routes) end over there at 14th/6th, with the outbound trips beginning around Union Square.... Having some of the Downtown only routes or the via Greenwich Village routes run in service to Hudson Yards would be a significant enough an extension to those routes - regardless if Quill is in the general vicinity.... No way it would not be no cost.... Whatever "little" cost that would be expended to have some of those routes run in service to Hudson Yards before pulling into Quill should (or could, as you put it) be better suited to be expended elsewhere within the bus system....