Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
RR503

Manhattan EL Track Maps

Recommended Posts

In my travels across the wilds of the interwebs, I came across this magnificent set of detailed track maps depicting the IRT elevated system as it existed in 1920. To say the least, it’s a fascinating read. I highly recommend perusing — especially given today’s...issues, understanding system history is really important. I hope you all enjoy. 

https://archive.org/details/tracksofnewyork03kahn

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been using these notes as well as a few other sources to build a simulation of dispatching the Manhattan EL. Complete Madness. The philosophy of throwing up crap at the wall and it'll stick seems to Rule the Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RR503 said:

In my travels across the wilds of the interwebs, I came across this magnificent set of detailed track maps depicting the IRT elevated system as it existed in 1920. To say the least, it’s a fascinating read. I highly recommend perusing — especially given today’s...issues, understanding system history is really important. I hope you all enjoy. 

https://archive.org/details/tracksofnewyork03kahn

Shame it's out of print; would make a nice coffee table book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jsunflyguy said:

I've been using these notes as well as a few other sources to build a simulation of dispatching the Manhattan EL. Complete Madness. The philosophy of throwing up crap at the wall and it'll stick seems to Rule the Day.

Wow, that sounds fascinating! Would love to know more about your results. I’m not at all surprised at the chaos factor, though — just looking at some of those interlockings makes my eyes water. I’m sure the generally lax signaling made things somewhat easier, but still, ugh.

6 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Shame it's out of print; would make a nice coffee table book.

Pretty sure used copies are available on Amazon, if you’re keen on print...there’s also a more recent ERA publication iinm that has a sampling of them in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.