Queens Existing Conditions Report Released

Mpn4179

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/17/2019 at 11:53 PM, paulrivera said:

They finally caught on that the Q10 carries air inside JFK airport 🤦‍♂️

Damn it man, Airtrain’s too crowded with its shit headways, and now the Q10’s on it’s way out?

Maybe the Port Authority doesn't want public buses in the Central Terminal Area. 

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's not on the map at all 

I was going to say that I found the map in this thread and looked at it. Hewlett at Grant Park is the only location that I can think of that would be used as a layover spot for buses since it's right in near a Police Station. Hewlett Broadway is also used as a transfer point between the n1 and n31/32. 

Also noticed the Q85 running down Guy R Brewer and Baisley to reach Bedell Street, then ending at Rosedale LIRR.

Still trying to figure out why the map shows the Q88 going to Great Neck Plaza to serve North Shore University Hospital.

Edited by NY1635

14 minutes ago, NY1635 said:

I was going to say that I found the map in this thread and looked at it. Hewlett at Grant Park is the only location that I can think of that would be used as a layover spot for buses since it's right in near a Police Station. Hewlett Broadway is also used as a transfer point between the n1 and n31/32. 

Also noticed the Q85 running down Guy R Brewer and Baisley to reach Bedell Street, then ending at Rosedale LIRR.

Still trying to figure out why the map shows the Q88 going to Great Neck Plaza to serve North Shore University Hospital.

The map looks like it has the Q111 terminating in Rosedale, maybe by Hook Creek Blvd and 149 Rd, just south of its full time terminal today. 

The bus to North Shore University Hospital isn’t the Q88. It comes up Winchester Blvd from Hillside Ave.

14 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I believe there is too much of a coverage gap around the 80th Street corridor in Middle Village. Basically the entire southern portion of the Q47 has been eliminated. I think a route on coverage headways between the Middle Village (M) train station and the Woodside (7) train station via 69th Street - Juniper Blvd South - 80th Street - Grand Avenue - 79th Street - Calamus Avenue/51st Avenue - 65th Place - Woodside Avenue would provide adequate coverage while avoiding some of the narrow streets and turns along the present-day Q38.

This would be great, especially if they are planning to get rid of the Q38 as is.  It would provide much needed coverage for a large portion of the area around Juniper Valley Park, even on the North side, to get to either the 7 train or the M train. 

Edited by ViaWaterViaChurch

1 minute ago, limitednyc said:

has any noticed any changes on the q17.

It is gone essentially. The Q25 serves Kissena, the Q88 Horace Harding. Service now starts at the Queens Center Mall, runs along the Horace Harding, 188th Street and takes over the Q83 to 227th Street.

14 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Even better (just click to enlarge😞

EN1Hzj8.jpg

So is that really the map of proposals?

Looks like they've even straightening the Q39, including taking it off of Fresh Pond and cutting across the little streets between Metropolitan and Flushing, which I had suggested, but didn't think they would ever do! (so now something else picks up the 58 St. route, which is part of what made the line unbearably long).

Someone also said the new Eliot route would come into Ridgewood, and the the Q58 would have a more direct alternate route tot he main one? (Is that the Eliot route, as I've also suggested?)

Hope they also extend the Q58 closer to Roosevelt/Main, and the Q55 at least to Jamaica-Van Wyck!

Is there a written out list of what's on this map?

2 minutes ago, Eric B said:

So is that really the map of proposals?

Looks like they've even straightening the Q39, including taking it off of Fresh Pond and cutting across the little streets between Metropolitan and Flushing, which I had suggested, but didn't think they would ever do! (so now something else picks up the 58 St. route, which is part of what made the line unbearably long).

Someone also said the new Eliot route would come into Ridgewood, and the the Q58 would have a more direct alternate route tot he main one? (Is that the Eliot route, as I've also suggested?)

Hope they also extend the Q58 closer to Roosevelt/Main, and the Q55 at least to Jamaica-Van Wyck!

Is there a written out list of what's on this map?

There is no list, but me and other forum members have been working on a Google My Maps map based on the unclear map. The hardest areas are Downtown Flushing and Jamaica.

Any ideas of what is going on in Forest Hills? There looks to be a Yellowstone route and a route on Ascan.

If I had to guess, the 73 Ave route heads up Jewel, serves the subway and head over to one of the two. Not sure which one.

Also the fact that the Q64 and 108 St routes are both orange, but not all the way to the subway make me feel that the MTA combined the Q64 and Q23. Notice how there is no line on Jewel between 108 St and Queens Blvd, where the Q64 turns back towards 164 St.

If you look closely, there is also a little orange line under the green on Queens Blvd between Kew Gardens and 71 Ave.

Edited by jaf0519

14 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Here are the comments I submitted online: 

I have viewed the map from Queens Borough Hall that was presented online, and while there are a lot of things I like, there are some that I so not like.

The northern portion of the Q103 is being eliminated despite the Q103 being one of the quickest-growing routes in the city. Also the northern end is busier than the southern end but yet the northern end is the portion that doesn't get a replacement. This also cuts off access to the F line from the LIC/Astoria waterfront and forces everyone onto the N/W lines.

In the meantime, a bus is traveling the full length of 31st Street when the elevated train is right over it. I don't even think the portion of 31st Street that currently has Q102 service should be served, let alone duplicate the subway for an even longer distance. The two block portion at the northern end of the corridor isn't enough to justify a whole new route, especially not at the expense of Vernon Blvd.

I also think the Q85 should be extended from the Rosedale LIRR station to end with the Q111 and provide access to the LIRR from the southern end of Rosedale (remember that the Atlantic Branch has a program where riders get a discounted weekly pass that is also valid on the local bus)

I can understand a Q7 extension to Far Rockaway but anything further is overkill. You basically have it taking over the entire Q22 which will make that route extremely unreliable. Also I still believe the neighborhood of Bayswater could use a route. Having the present-day Q22 operate via Beach Channel Drive - Beach 32nd Street/Norton Drive - Bayswater Avenue/Mott Avenue would provide coverage to Bayswater, as well as the portion of Far Rockaway around the Rachel Arms Apartments. The Q113 should be extended to Beach 36th Street to maintain network coverage on the portion currently served by the Q22 (perhaps alternate buses could be truncated at the Far Rockaway station in the interest of cost-neutrality)

I also think the Q8 extension to Brookdale Hospital is overkill. Riders heading towards Ozone Park or Jamaica can take the B15 to Federal Circle (or Lefferts Blvd for the Q10 to Ozone Park). Unless something is being planned for the B15, but then that needs to be shown on the map too. (In the Existing Conditions Report it said the scope of the study is every route that touches Queens, which indicates that the B13 & B15 and any associated changes should be shown in this map as well)

The Q8 extension to Brookdale Hospital are for the workers, many of whom are doing double shifts to make the rent money. The Q8 will provide them a direct one seat ride into Jamaica since many of them don't have a car. 

I agree eliminating the Q103 makes no sense, I think it should be short turned at Court Square or rerouted over Court Square instead of 21st-Queensbridge, but the agency wants to eliminate turns. A full length bus route under the elevated line in 31st Street is ideal because the (7) at Queensboro Plaza is either crowded or delayed and it can't keep doing all that work because the (N) and (W) are out of service. 

I think they're trying to do away with the 243rd Street branch and the Green Acres of the Q85 because the street is too narrow. Only Francis Lewis is wide enough for the bus, though I still stand by the decision to make it end at Huxley and 149th Ave rather than that empty lot at Hook Creek/F.Lewis and 148th. It's a short walk from the LIRR station to the south part of Rosedale and the Far Rock and Long Beach Branch serve that station before they split at Valley Stream Railroad. So the new Q85 is going to be Rochdale-Farmers, Rosedale LIRR-Jamaica. They want the Q5 as the only bus heading to Green Acres. I still think those mall patrons waiting at the stand by Macys really want the n1 because they're trying to enter Queens while avoiding Sunrise Highway. The only way to do that is to continue on Merrick and enter the mall at Central/Mill Road, but I don't think Nassau residents want that from the city bus.

It's also why I don't hold out hope for the Q36. Floral Park is waiting on NICE to do stop rebalancing on the n24 to eliminate those stops on Jericho between the border and Tyson Avenue.

3 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

Any ideas of what is going on in Forest Hills? There looks to be a Yellowstone route and a route on Ascan.

If I had to guess, the 73 Ave route heads up Jewel, serves the subway and head over to one of the two. Not sure which one.

Also the fact that the Q64 and 108 St routes are both orange, but not all the way to the subway make me feel that the MTA combined the Q64 and Q23. Notice how there is no line on Jewel between 108 St and Queens Blvd, where the Q64 turns back towards 164 St.

If you look closely, there is also a little orange line under the green on Queens Blvd between Kew Gardens and 71 Ave.

They did something on Jewel Avenue. One thing for sure is that the Q64 corridor will be greatly "expanded".

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

They did something on Jewel Avenue. One thing for sure is that the Q64 corridor will be greatly "expanded".

The Q64 is my home route. Its either perfect or something causes massive delays that utterly destroy all resemblance of a schedule. I remember last winter heading home from work, the line at Queens Blvd was around the block and bus time was showing one bus in total for either direction. Walked to Kissena before a bus drove by.  

They also have to do something about the stop spacing. I know the blocks aren’t the generic short city blocks, but they aren’t long ones either. To have a stop at every intersection from 164 St to Park Drive East except for 137 St is ridiculous.