Queens Existing Conditions Report Released

Mpn4179

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

No prollem.

Yeah, I'm just ecstatic to see how they're gonna f*** up Brooklyn..... Particularly waiting for the B35 to JFK BS..... *smirks*

Clean up in aisle (5)

to MTAtransit: Q49 is one of the most efficient routes in the entire city.... Of course, it goes against the grid, so there goes that....

to the both of you: IDK the history of the Q32 as to why it particularly swung over to the 80's to get to Northern, but in today's time, it is rather redundant.... Looking at this map though, I can't tell what's going on with the Q32... One thing I will say is that they have *something* continuing straight along Thomson from Queens Blvd....

There's redundancy, but it was still useful. However, if the Q33 would no longer serve 74th Street, it doesn't make sense to also truncate the Q32, but I digress.

I think that bus route along Thomson might be the Q101. When the route joins Queens Boulevard, the line gets slightly darker to the left. I would assume the Q32 remains the same into Manhattan, since the same pattern within Manhattan appears to exist. 

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

to the both of you: IDK the history of the Q32 as to why it particularly swung over to the 80's to get to Northern, but in today's time, it is rather redundant.... Looking at this map though, I can't tell what's going on with the Q32... One thing I will say is that they have *something* continuing straight along Thomson from Queens Blvd....

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There's redundancy, but it was still useful. However, if the Q33 would no longer serve 74th Street, it doesn't make sense to also truncate the Q32, but I digress.

I think that bus route along Thomson might be the Q101. When the route joins Queens Boulevard, the line gets slightly darker to the left. I would assume the Q32 remains the same into Manhattan, since the same pattern within Manhattan appears to exist. 

I think that might be the Q39 (which I'm not sure what they will do with the 48th Avenue portion. Are they making it a LIC/Sunnyside shuttle? Because it doesn't seem to connect anywhere going east)

28 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I think that might be the Q39 (which I'm not sure what they will do with the 48th Avenue portion. Are they making it a LIC/Sunnyside shuttle? Because it doesn't seem to connect anywhere going east)

The Q39 and Q67 are being merged into one based on the map, so i don't think it can be that. If it isn't the Q101, that may be a new coverage route or something.

Seems like I missed out a lot on this thread. I wasn’t able to read everything so here’s what I can breakdown based on what I read:

Q103 Elimination  - no. 

Q41 Elimination 

Don’t know what’s happening in Flushing. 

Multiple Buses extended/truncated to the Federal Circle. 

Q60 extension to Columbus Circle. I disagree with it being truncated to Jamaica Van Wyck. 

Q38 Cut to run just to Eliot and the Q29 via 63rd Drive. I disagree with that.

Q47 extension down 69th. 

Q39/Q67 Merge. 

Geez. This is a lot. I can’t even see what happened with the Q23, Q65, Q18 or anything else. 

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I don't doubt the usefulness, but my problem with the Q32 running north of Roosevelt is & has always been that it only runs as far as Northern... Remember the old Q32/Q33 combination ideas around these parts? To me, what made it ridiculous was 1] (failing to consider) the amount of time the Q32 spends in Manhattan & 2] the need for a route running from Penn Station to have to put up with LGA (of course, that was all before the advent of the Q70).....

I'm not going to lie, if the Q32 served less of Manhattan & were to be combined with today's Q33 (to end w/ the Q69 or something), I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it....

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Are they making it a LIC/Sunnyside shuttle? Because it doesn't seem to connect anywhere going east)

This is funny to me - considering that there are already a bunch of private shuttles transporting workers & college kids from Court Sq. & Hunterspoint (7) to that general area around LGA Comm. College.... Don't miss going to school in that area at all.

1 hour ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Seems like I missed out a lot on this thread. I wasn’t able to read everything so here’s what I can breakdown based on what I read:

Q103 Elimination  - no. 

Q41 Elimination 

Don’t know what’s happening in Flushing. 

Multiple Buses extended/truncated to the Federal Circle. 

Q60 extension to Columbus Circle. I disagree with it being truncated to Jamaica Van Wyck. 

Q38 Cut to run just to Eliot and the Q29 via 63rd Drive. I disagree with that.

Q47 extension down 69th. 

Q39/Q67 Merge. 

Geez. This is a lot. I can’t even see what happened with the Q23, Q65, Q18 or anything else.

FWIW, not really....

We're all just speculating until the official draft releases.... Something to discuss to pass the time....

With a little over 2 weeks away from this draft release. I know we are all passing time talk with possible eliminations and or severe reductions. However, my guess is the people who will suffer the most is Northeast Queens, and Southeast Queens. I would hope that the (MTA) really address those locations ASAP with adequate transportation options or people are really going to be at arms. 

3 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

With a little over 2 weeks away from this draft release. I know we are all passing time talk with possible eliminations and or severe reductions. However, my guess is the people who will suffer the most is Northeast Queens, and Southeast Queens. I would hope that the (MTA) really address those locations ASAP with adequate transportation options or people are really going to be at arms. 

With the way the map is looking, I don't even want to play that game of who has it the worst....

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Q39 and Q67 are being merged into one based on the map, so i don't think it can be that. If it isn't the Q101, that may be a new coverage route or something.

That's why I said it looks like it could be a LIC-Sunnyside shuttle, but taking a second look, it looks like it continues up Greenpoint Avenue/Roosevelt Avenue to Victor Moore Terminal (Broadway/Roosevelt). It also looks like the Greenpoint Avenue (Brooklyn) portion of the B24 runs up Van Dam Street and into Manhattan (which doesn't make any sense).

The 48th Avenue portion of the Q39 looks like it continues along 30th Street/30th Place to Thomson, while the route coming from the eastern part of Thomson could be the Q101 like you said.

30 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

A little over 1 week at this point.

I will say this, even with some more controversial aspects of the plan (it looks like they're creating some more north-south "crosstown" routes by taking some routes out of Flushing & Jamaica), there are some aspects that I do think are great right from the start. The Q9/Q40 restructuring and Linden Blvd route in SE Queens will help people travel more easily between both sides of the Van Wyck Expressway.

@Union Tpke According to this slide, the Q28 will take over a portion of the Q13 and run straight across Crocheron Avenue/35th Avenue and up Bell Blvd to terminate at 26th Avenue.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

@B35 via Church What do you think about the B57 being extended to Flushing to cover the College Point Blvd portion of the Q58? (Assuming that is the case. I originally thought they were two separate routes ending at the QCM) Talk about a super-route. I guess someone thought they were being clever by sending the Flushing Avenue route to Flushing. 

On a side note, I think the Q58 Corona Avenue portion will end at 111th Street on the (7) (I see two orange routes making a little loop around that area, likely the 108th Street portion of the Q23 and the Corona Avenue portion of the Q58).

Also @Union Tpke I'm not sure the 108th Street portion of the Q23 is being combined with the Q64. I see a little streak of orange on Queens Blvd heading west of Kew Gardens. It almost looks like they're extending the Q10 to Corona via 108th Street. (I also don't see the little terminal loop around Kew Gardens on the Q10).

Edited by checkmatechamp13

42 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The Q72 only goes to the Marine Terminal dont it?

No the Q72 serves terminals B-C and D. Only the M60 and Q47 go to terminal A. However I suspect the Q70 will go to Terminal A as well in the future because it is after all the “La Guardia link”. No one wants to ride via a local to the airport which is ultimately why the Q33 was taken out the airport.

2 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

@B35 via Church What do you think about the B57 being extended to Flushing to cover the College Point Blvd portion of the Q58? (Assuming that is the case. I originally thought they were two separate routes ending at the QCM) Talk about a super-route. I guess someone thought they were being clever by sending the Flushing Avenue route to Flushing. 

On a side note, I think the Q58 Corona Avenue portion will end at 111th Street on the (7) (I see two orange routes making a little loop around that area, likely the 108th Street portion of the Q23 and the Corona Avenue portion of the Q58).

Hmm... Let me hone in on that area a bit..... What I think is going on with those blue colored routes in question, is:

- One looks to be a Q58 Ridgewood - Flushing route (via Grand, via HHE)...

- One looks to be the B62 that's cutback to terminate with the B32 at 44th dr.....

- The other one looks to be a B57 starting at the Clinton Gate (Navy Yard)....
As for its terminal on the Queens end, well if it's running to Flushing, I'll admit that is an interesting concept.... If it's stopping dead at Grand/QB from the Navy Yard, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with breaking the B57 up like that.... I still say that the (real) B57 should be cut back to Metropolitan (as in, from Red Hook).... So IMO, a route running from the Navy Yard to (at least) Queens Blvd would be a good enough compromise for Queens riders trying to get to the (L), the (J), or just that part of Brooklyn in general..... The current terminal of the (real) B57 in Queens is a stub.

However, needless to say, if all that shit is the B57 running from Red Hook IKEA to Flushing, that's simply plain old ordinary stupid.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

What exactly replaced the Q33's portion between 82nd St & LGA?

Technically, nothing.....

You have to xfer to the M60.

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

(I believe the M60 also stops there heading airport-bound as well)

Yep, that's right.... The M60 has like 3 stops along 23rd before running inside the airport....

58 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The Q72 only goes to the Marine Terminal dont it?

Nah, that's the Q47 that goes to Marine Air... The Q72 is the Junction blvd. route that runs to the other 3 LGA terminals....

41 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Technically, nothing.....

You have to xfer to the M60.

Yep, that's right.... The M60 has like 3 stops along 23rd before running inside the airport....

Nah, that's the Q47 that goes to Marine Air... The Q72 is the Junction blvd. route that runs to the other 3 LGA terminals....

There are so many LGA routes I've lost track lmao.

JFK is much more simple with the Q10 & B15.

11 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Also @Union Tpke I'm not sure the 108th Street portion of the Q23 is being combined with the Q64. I see a little streak of orange on Queens Blvd heading west of Kew Gardens. It almost looks like they're extending the Q10 to Corona via 108th Street. (I also don't see the little terminal loop around Kew Gardens on the Q10).

Something is rotten in Denmark if they want to do that with the Q10.

@Union Tpke I'm looking at your map and I want to point out that there are some depots that aren't listed like JFK and College Point. 

The Q60 in your map would still likely use JFK Depot. 

Also, why not call Line 4 in your map the "Q12" since its covering the Northern portion of Northern Blvd?

Edited by LaGuardia Link N Tra

8 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

@Union Tpke I'm looking at your map and I want to point out that there are some depots that aren't listed like JFK and College Point. 

The Q60 in your map would still likely use JFK Depot. 

Also, why not call Line 4 in your map the "Q12" since its covering the Northern portion of Northern Blvd?

They are there. Maybe I hid the layers. I was not done with that one, and it is a bit unclear from the map.

13 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

What are you going to do with this map, once the draft plan comes out?

I don't know. It's more so that we can understand what is going on before hand. Maybe I will use it to summarize changes, or show streets that will no longer have bus service.

I still have several questions about routes on the map.

• Where does the green route on Northern Boulevard end? I cannot tell what happens after Bell Boulevard.
  • @checkmatechamp13 If the Q80 (Linden Boulevard route) is going to Gateway, where does the Q52 end?
  • What does the Yellowstone Boulevard route connect to?
  • Does the Western Northern Boulevard route connect with the orange route via Parsons Boulevard ending at the CIP Service Road and Francis Lewis?
  • Do the colors seem to mean anything? If not, they did a great job of making it illegible for no reason.

Thoughts:

• Is it me, or does it seem like they are through-running the new Q65 with the Q42?
  • The Q100, with the closing of Rikers might be cut back, or might not, depending on what happens with the island.

Some more observations:

• The Q55 will be through run with the Q110, like @B35 via Church feared. I looked at the Existing Conditions Report (P.70) and this journey was one of the difficult trips to make with the most riders.
  • The Q54 does not run via Cooper anymore, it runs straight on Metropolitan. It also goes from Metropolitan to Hillside, not to Jamaica Avenue.
  • Q30/Q31 service via 169th/170th south of Hillside is discontinued.
  • Roosevelt Island Q102 service is being cut entirely at the north and south ends of the island in favor of the RIOC bus service, and a shorter and more direct Q66.
  • A street redesign will be needed at the Horace Harding and Hollis Court Boulevard to allow for the new Q26 routing. Anyone notice any other necessary redesigns to accommodate the new layout?

Bus lane guesses:

• Hillside Avenue
  • Northern Boulevard
  • Merrick Boulevard
  • Guy R Brewer Boulevard
  • Union Turnpike
  • Downtown Flushing
  • Short segment on Parsons?

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

I still have several questions about routes on the map.

• Where does the green route on Northern Boulevard end? I cannot tell what happens after Bell Boulevard.
  • @checkmatechamp13 If the Q80 (Linden Boulevard route) is going to Gateway, where does the Q52 end?
  • What does the Yellowstone Boulevard route connect to?
  • Does the Western Northern Boulevard route connect with the orange route via Parsons Boulevard ending at the CIP Service Road and Francis Lewis?
  • Do the colors seem to mean anything? If not, they did a great job of making it illegible for no reason.

Thoughts:

• Is it me, or does it seem like they are through-running the new Q65 with the Q42?
  • The Q100, with the closing of Rikers might be cut back, or might not, depending on what happens with the island.

Some more observations:

• The Q55 will be through run with the Q110, like @B35 via Church feared. I looked at the Existing Conditions Report (P.70) and this journey was one of the difficult trips to make with the most riders.
  • The Q54 does not run via Cooper anymore, it runs straight on Metropolitan. It also goes from Metropolitan to Hillside, not to Jamaica Avenue.
  • Q30/Q31 service via 169th/170th south of Hillside is discontinued.
  • Roosevelt Island Q102 service is being cut entirely at the north and south ends of the island in favor of the RIOC bus service, and a shorter and more direct Q66.
  • A street redesign will be needed at the Horace Harding and Hollis Court Boulevard to allow for the new Q26 routing. Anyone notice any other necessary redesigns to accommodate the new layout?

Bus lane guesses:

• Hillside Avenue
  • Northern Boulevard
  • Merrick Boulevard
  • Guy R Brewer Boulevard
  • Union Turnpike
  • Downtown Flushing
  • Short segment on Parsons?

I would assume that it would head up to Bay Terrace, but wouldn’t be surprised if it heads down to QCC, since the MTA looks to be trying to make it the local hub of sorts, or if it just ends right at Bell/Northern Blvds, since some of these ideas aren’t the most obvious.

I would assume that the Q52 ends in Elmhurst, as at the area of the Belt and Cross Bay, there looks to be a little blue heading straight, underneath the green line.

Would have assumed the Yellowstone bus was the Q73 (73 Ave) and the Ascan Ave bus would have been the new Q20.

If the Q66 does that it would miss the connection in Flushing, so I don’t think so. If I had to guess it would be similar to the pre-1990s service pattern from Flushing to Woodside-51 St.

Originally I figured the colors might have to do with level of service, like how the MTA had divided service into frequent, semi-frequent, local, and coverage categories. But in the Existing Conditions report, coverage wasn’t colored. Also the routes in blue seem to be random, as they look to be Select Bus Service, but also the Linden Blvd route has it, which I would say local service would be enough.

To me the Q42 looks to head up to 165 St Terminal, so I don’t think the would, as the only turns southbound at Hillside from 164 St are to Parsons. 

The Q26 near Horace Harding isn’t bad, just a right on Francis Lewis and a left on 58 Ave to get back to Hollis Court heading north.