MTA Does an About Face on Bronx Redesign Proposals

Via Garibaldi 8

8 hours ago, Dan1 said:

Is the MTA intentionally trying to use residential streets for bus routes now? I'm not a Bronx resident but I've been following the Bronx redesign just to see what may be in store for the SI local route re-design in two years.

7 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

The MTA want to streamline service down Stadium Av there to reduce turns down there, to save money

That's precisely it. Instead of having the Bx24 loop around in Country Club, they would rather have it run through the heart of the area and the only main street is Stadium Avenue. However Stadium Avenue lacks sidewalks in certain parts (Country Club is one area in the Bronx that resembles more of a suburban area as it is very low density, similar to what you see on Staten Island with all houses and few commercial areas), and it is narrow in parts, so having a bus run through there is not ideal from the community's standpoint.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

However Stadium Avenue lacks sidewalks in certain parts (Country Club is one area in the Bronx that resembles more of a suburban area as it is very low density, similar to what you see on Staten Island with all houses and few commercial areas), and it is narrow in parts, so having a bus run through there is not ideal from the community's standpoint.

Oh, really... funny, that's not what I see on google street view. the only section of Stadium without a sidewalk is the short section at the south end, where the bus would have transition to Dean Ave

As a matter of fact, the area feels kind of familiar. Reminds me of the back sections of Maspeth and Middle Village, near Juniper Valley Park.

know what they have?

Buses running through even narrower streets at much higher frequencies. Ever ride the Q38 along Penelope Ave? ho boy...

27 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Oh, really... funny, that's not what I see on google street view. the only section of Stadium without a sidewalk is the short section at the south end, where the bus would have transition to Dean Ave

As a matter of fact, the area feels kind of familiar. Reminds me of the back sections of Maspeth and Middle Village, near Juniper Valley Park.

know what they have?

Buses running through even narrower streets at much higher frequencies. Ever ride the Q38 along Penelope Ave? ho boy...

Yeah and how well are those buses doing running down those narrow streets? Not too hot... You can walk faster... In fact, Ridgewood and Glendale are esp. bad in that regard.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

11 hours ago, paulrivera said:

The MTA wants people to choose either coverage or frequency, but not both. I think a MTA quote supporting this statement was buried somewhere in the SI redesign materials.

As stated in the report I wrote, https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AECZ9f76b9ClYys&cid=27B4793AC6019868&id=27B4793AC6019868!185&parId=27B4793AC6019868!105&o=OneUp asking someone to choose either frequency or coverage is like asking a prisoner who has not been given anything to eat or drink in a week if he would prefer food or water. 

8 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

....As a matter of fact, the area feels kind of familiar. Reminds me of the back sections of Maspeth and Middle Village, near Juniper Valley Park.

know what they have?

That "hug-the-curbside-so-that-the-bus-in-the-other-direction-can-proceed" bit is highly annoying... Also happens with the Q40 & the Q41.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:
11 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

parking deprived?

looks to me like almost every house ether has a driveway or room for one.

blocks upon blocks of standalone houses.

7 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

and looking at Stadium Ave, it's actually quite wide. Wider than some of the main roads by me....

so that's two things the community have said about it that are false...

I knew about the width of Stadium & that Country Club is rife with SFR's.... Exactly why I didn't put any stock with most of the things stated in that letter.

In any case, they got their wish with their complaint... Who cares about merit when you have political pull.

9 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

whats going to happen yo the bx11/35/36 and the western part of the bx20/42  proposals?

For the crosstown lines, I don’t see any reason why any of them should be dropped. For the Bx11, the new routing along 174th Street means that not only do customers along 174 have more direct service, but Morrisania now has a direct East-west connection to the (6) train. This connection presently does not exist.

For the Bx36, it’s direct routing straight on Tremont Avenue means that for those going between Soundview and Manhattan, service is much faster, direct and reliable. It would still serve West Farms Square, which is a good thing, but without the slow meandering under elevated tracks.

Finally, for the Bx40, the East 180th Street routing means that service would be more reliable since the route would bypass some of the West Farms Sq congestion. This area is within a short and easy three block walk from East 180th Street, so nothing is lost there. In addition, there is also an East-west connection to the express East 180th Street (2)(5) station for the first time.