LIRR Conductor Flips Off Person Filming New M9 Train

Via Garibaldi 8

Traffic & Transit

LIRR Conductor Flips Off Person Filming New M9 Train

A train enthusiast posted video of the incident soon after the LIRR asked people to share photos of the M9 on social media Friday.

By Ryan Bonner, Patch Staff

Sep 13, 2019 1:56 pm ET | Updated Sep 13, 2019 2:21 pm ET

cond___13130854896.png?width=705

(YouTube/Fan Railer)

The Long Island Rail Road's new M9 train has attracted plenty of attention since its long-awaited debut on Wednesday and on Friday morning the railroad asked people to share photos of the new train on social media.

Less than an hour later, a video was posted on YouTube that shows a conductor on the M9 giving the middle finger to a person filming.

"I told you twice already stop filming. The cops are on their way," the conductor says in the video posted on YouTube by Fan Railer, a train enthusiast with 336,000 subscribers.

"Definitely not good for publicity, considering the LIRR literally just tweeted asking for people to take pictures of the M9 train LOL," the caption on the video reads. "Thanks for keeping me entertained though."

The video was shared numerous times in response to the LIRR's solicitation of M9 photos on Twitter.

"We expect our conductors and all employees to behave professionally at all times," an LIRR employee wrote on Twitter. "This incident has been reported directly to supervisors and will be investigated."

Fan Railer, who asked Patch not to use his real name, said the video was filmed Friday morning at Nostrand Avenue Station in Brooklyn.

"I've had plenty of pushback before," he said of filming trains, which is legal as long as it's done in a safe manner and doesn't involve trespassing or hindering railroad operations. "But the train crews are usually professional about it. They'll threaten to call the cops, etc, but this is the first time someone's openly flipped me off."

Source: https://patch.com/new-york/gardencity/lirr-conductor-flips-person-filming-new-m9-train?utm_content=longisland&utm_campaign=blasts&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR0e-TtNUayXAdQAmFCDjib7zRLHbPmf2Hnnskgh4xMw9bxI50PQSmhKjKQ

--------

@Fan Railer You made the papers! :lol:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I've gotten a LOT of flak from guys, RR employees and non-RR employees about posting this. The only things I feel the need to say in response are the following:

1. I always mind my own business when I'm out there fanning. I don't bother crews, I don't ask for horn shows, I don't jump around and scream like an idiot, and I certainly don't stand out by doing anything like wearing a damn furry suit. I don't even focus my camera on the crews unless they do something to catch my attention, like wave, or yell at me like this guy, which brings me to my second point.

2. This conductor asked for the attention. If you watch through the full video that I am going to post below, you will see clearly that on the first train where he is on-duty, I don't actually pan the camera around until he yells at me. When the M9s come through, (mind you, he is off duty now and deadheading) you can clearly see him pushing his way past the on-duty crew members in the cab to open the window just to yell at me and give me the finger. Again, I didn't even focus the pan of my camera on him until I realized he was yelling at me, and had I not changed the focus of the pan, I would never have caught him flipping me the bird.

So with these two facts in mind, I can only conclude that the people defending him, giving him excuses (having a bad day), or just simply ragging on me for exposing him are stuck in a mindset where people shouldn't be held broadly accountable for their actions. This is typically sheep mentality, comparable to cops that side with Pantaleo even though he killed a non-violent guy using a banned technique. Remember that being a conductor on a passenger railroad requires you to be courteous and professional, NO MATTER how sour your mood is. If you are in uniform, you represent the company and what the company stands for. The actions of this conductor qualify as "conduct unbecoming" in the eyes of the company, and rightfully so. I happen to also work in a customer service position, and if anything like this happened at my workplace, you can bet that the guilty party would be shown the door the very same day.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that I've been asked to stop filming dozens of times by railroad employees who don't know better, but they have for the most part always maintained decorum and professionalism, and we both go our separate ways, no incident. A couple of those encounters I have on camera, therefore on YouTube, but you've never heard about them because like I said, they remained professional.

Everything I record, I post. I don't go out of my way to film people breaking rules or acting like jerks, but if it just so happens that this kind of behavior makes its way into my frame, I am also not going to go out of my way to delete the footage to protect the idiot. They should know better. If that makes me a rat/snitch, etc, then so be it. This is me being fair.

I know I've made a lot of enemies because of this incident. I don't really care. I have a lot of other people, particularly people who are also railroaders or work in the transit sector who are agreeing with me on this. If you are in the business of being an apologist for this kind of person and behavior, I don't care to know you or take advice from you. We live in the digital age now. Things you probably could have gotten away with 20-30 years ago aren't going to fly today. Better catch up to the times. As one of my RTO friends states, wrong is wrong, no matter who does it.

Edited by Fan Railer

3 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

I've gotten a LOT of flak from guys, RR employees and non-RR employees about posting this. The only things I feel the need to say in response are the following:

1. I always mind my own business when I'm out there fanning. I don't bother crews, I don't ask for horn shows, I don't jump around and scream like an idiot, and I certainly don't stand out by doing anything like wearing a damn furry suit. I don't even focus my camera on the crews unless they do something to catch my attention, like wave, or yell at me like this guy, which brings me to my second point.

2. This conductor asked for the attention. If you watch through the full video that I am going to post below, you will see clearly that on the first train where he is on-duty, I don't actually pan the camera around until he yells at me. When the M9s come through, (mind you, he is off duty now and deadheading) you can clearly see him pushing his way past the on-duty crew members in the cab to open the window just to yell at me and give me the finger. Again, I didn't even focus the pan of my camera on him until I realized he was yelling at me, and had I not changed the focus of the pan, I would never have caught him flipping me the bird.

So with these two facts in mind, I can only conclude that the people defending him, giving him excuses (having a bad day), or just simply ragging on me for exposing him are stuck in a mindset where people shouldn't be held broadly accountable for their actions. This is typically sheep mentality, comparable to cops that side with Pantaleo even though he killed a non-violent guy using a banned technique. Remember that being a conductor on a passenger railroad requires you to be courteous and professional, NO MATTER how sour your mood is. If you are in uniform, you represent the company and what the company stands for. The actions of this conductor qualify as "conduct unbecoming" in the eyes of the company, and rightfully so. I happen to also work in a customer service position, and if anything like this happened at my workplace, you can bet that the guilty party would be shown the door the very same day.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that I've been asked to stop filming dozens of times by railroad employees who don't know better, but they have for the most part always maintained decorum and professionalism, and we both go our separate ways, no incident. A couple of those encounters I have on camera, therefore on YouTube, but you've never heard about them because like I said, they remained professional.

Everything I record, I post. I don't go out of my way to film people breaking rules or acting like jerks, but if it just so happens that this kind of behavior makes its way into my frame, I am also not going to go out of my way to delete the footage to protect the idiot. They should know better. If that makes me a rat/snitch, etc, then so be it. This is me being fair.

I know I've made a lot of enemies because of this incident. I don't really care. I have a lot of other people, particularly people who are also railroaders or work in the transit sector who are agreeing with me on this. If you are in the business of being an apologist for this kind of person and behavior, I don't care to know you or take advice from you. We live in the digital age now. Things you probably could have gotten away with 20-30 years ago aren't going to fly today. Better catch up to the times. As one of my RTO friends states, wrong is wrong, no matter who does it.

I can't believe you are getting flack for this. This guy should a Darwin award. How dumb do you have to be to flip off someone filming you in a brand new train, when you can fully expect it to get posted online 2 minutes later?! Geez, at least he should have tried to cover his face or something LOL.

C'mon, of course people are going to film a brand new train! It's like if a T/O on the Holiday shopper train or TOMC got angry and flipped off someone filming them. 

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

.....why this motorman...

🙊

Conductor

Kidding aside, the M9s are ridden by management as they're still in a test phase. So needless to say the guy got it pretty quick. I don't understand why people get bent out of shape over people taking pics, there's literally a camera to 204 at every station and one in the cab pointed right at you. 🤷‍♂️

Onto a completely unrelated note there are like 2 couples I see everyday, including the one at 9:04 in the video who make out like the apocalypse is coming...I just want to know how its possible to be that enthusiastic about commuting that they need to express themselves so rigorously. 

45 minutes ago, Jsunflyguy said:

🙊

Conductor

Kidding aside, the M9s are ridden by management as they're still in a test phase. So needless to say the guy got it pretty quick. I don't understand why people get bent out of shape over people taking pics, there's literally a camera to 204 at every station and one in the cab pointed right at you. 🤷‍♂️

Onto a completely unrelated note there are like 2 couples I see everyday, including the one at 9:04 in the video who make out like the apocalypse is coming...I just want to know how its possible to be that enthusiastic about commuting that they need to express themselves so rigorously. 

HAHA! If you ever see the couples making out with each other's partner, that's probably worth a free ticket or something ;) 

On 9/15/2019 at 11:30 AM, Fan Railer said:

Did that conductor give hard time to press taking photos/film too?

Edited by FamousNYLover

15 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

likely never encountered the press, or it would have been an even bigger story.

That's awful.

I still remember about (MTA) employee that got arrested for taking picture of trains, well as NICE Bus driver taking picture of buses got harassed by security for taking picture of buses.

I seen youtube videos of news reporters being arrested for taking pictures of incidents, when media is doing their job for story.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this recently.  

You shouldn't of posted it.  

You'll learn later on in life as a adult, taking the high road is more rewarding when the outcome is the same.  

This disgruntled conductor for whatever reason might of gotten a reprimand for foolish act.  So what if he's a jackass?  Nothing good came out of you posting it.  Nothing good will ever come out of it. 

You're still rail fanning.  He still works there.  The world goes on.  Just as if you wouldn't of posted it.  

Your Eric Gardener/Pantaleo analogy is pathetic and demonstrates your immaturity.  

2 hours ago, Late Clear said:

You'll learn later on in life as a adult, taking the high road is more rewarding when the outcome is the same.  

This disgruntled conductor for whatever reason might of gotten a reprimand for foolish act.  So what if he's a jackass?  Nothing good came out of you posting it.  Nothing good will ever come out of it. 

You're still rail fanning.  He still works there.  The world goes on.  Just as if you wouldn't of posted it.  

Your Eric Gardener/Pantaleo analogy is pathetic and demonstrates your immaturity.  

Way to prove his point...

8 hours ago, Late Clear said:

By that logic, "so what" if he posted it......

Your passive aggressive attempt here to try to vilify @Fan Railer for posting the video is quite pathetic... Nothing that young man did was a] out-of-bounds & b] to remotely provoke that type of a reaction (nevermind the fact that isn't how you handle some railfanner that is believed to be breaking some rule anyway)....

Whatever reprimand said "jackass" received as a result of the posting of the video & the nationwide attention it ended up "Garner"ing, was the result of that conductor's own behavior & serves as a reminder as a professional in his field that you don't get to act out of pocket like that when the "world" doesn't work the way you want it to.... and walk away unscathed.....

.....regardless if he's still employed.

Edited by B35 via Church

10 hours ago, Late Clear said:

1) *shouldn't have

2) Did someone mix insecticide with your milk as a child?

On 10/1/2019 at 3:34 AM, Late Clear said:

You fall right in with that crowd I described earlier; sheep that think bad actors don't deserve to be held accountable and instead should be protected, which is exactly what happened with Pantaleo. Therefore, I don't care to know you, care about your opinion of me or take advice from you. And how do you know he's still working there unless you're on the inside or have sources within? Let's just say that I know there's more going on behind the scenes right now regarding his continued employment down the line. If you were a cash strapped agency that just spent $500K on an advertising campaign for the new railcars only to have some dingus ruin it by being unprofessional in public, you'd probably terminate his employment asap if you had the chance. The union would be shooting themselves in the foot if they choose to fight for him.

Edited by Fan Railer

Woah, way to promote bad behavior. So what if he's a jackass? Bruh, he works for a publicly-funded agency. That's why it matters. Something tells me if this conductor had the confidence to behave this way on a brand-new train, that has high visibility, he's probably done it more than once.

If he was reprimanded for an act that tarnishes the already clouded finish of this transit agency, good. Like the rest of the world, if you screw up at work, and do so blatantly, you will be reprimanded.

@FamousNYLover I'm glad you posted this and in turn disrupting this 'hush-hush' sentiment. I do hope the conductor kept his job; however this behavior is unacceptable, with or without a camera present.

Edited by 40MntVrn

5 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

Woah, way to promote bad behavior. So what if he's a jackass? Bruh, he works for a publicly-funded agency. That's why it matters. Something tells me if this conductor had the confidence to behave this way on a brand-new train, that has high visibility, he's probably done it more than once.

If he was reprimanded for an act that tarnishes the already clouded finish of this transit agency, good. Like the rest of the world, if you screw up at work, and do so blatantly, you will be reprimanded.

@FamousNYLover I'm glad you posted this and in turn disrupting this 'hush-hush' sentiment. I do hope the conductor kept his job; however this behavior is unacceptable, with or without a camera present.

I din't post this. @Fan Railer started this post first.

4 hours ago, Fan Railer said:

Technically, Via Garibaldi 8 started this post lol.

That was awful for you @Fan Railer.

I remember during Belmont Park Horse protect, when I was taking picture of police cars, he said "No photo."

Also I remember one time I was taking trip on Mega Bus to DC with Japanese friend and at pit stop, when we pull over to rest stop, I took picture of my bus, well as Greyhound.

That greyhound bus driver rudefully said, "NO PICTURE! Take picture of your own bus!"

I was tourist on MegaBus that date and I sent email to Greyhound Bus and they said, no photos permitted. Tourists doesn't know photo policy.

Even PIX11 News Reporter Greg Mocker doesn't know photography is illegal on PATH.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Your defense of claiming "nothing good came out of it, so it shouldn't have been posted" has no rooting in the real world. Has every point throughout U.S. History been positive? No. However, did that stop people from publicly discussing it and studying it at universities? No. Do most stories covered on the daily news and media reflect meaningful experiences or ideas? No. Case in point, you learn how not to act, think, work, and live through taking note of others - especially those who choose to deliberately embarrass themselves in public, like the fool in the aforementioned video in question. The fact that you couldn't figure that out for yourself is baffling. At the end of the day, you've been made this thread's example of how people shouldn't strive to conduct themselves in public.

8 hours ago, Late Clear said:

If this was a random passenger flipping you off you would of most likely edited that part out, even if you won't admit it.  

As I stated before, nothing good came out of this, so why bother?

random passenger does not carry the same weight as an employee. Cut the bullshit.