Subway ridership is steady

Union Tpke

Never really paid any attention to it (weekend subway usage having been higher than weekday usage), but the first thing that jumps out at me in this graph isn't even that weekend declination - it's that weekend usage is virtually on par with weekday usage...

More power to those that do (and/or have to) use the subway on the weekend, because I flat out refuse......

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

More power to those that do (and/or have to) use the subway on the weekend, because I flat out refuse

Also to note is how weekend ridership fell much more than weekday ridership – but appears to be rising faster than weekday ridership! I wonder if this is just simply a baseline of subway ridership at this point in time (as in, unless things were to suddenly get much worse, those who chose to leave the subway already left, and more aren't leaving), or if the MTA's improvements over the last year (especially Save Safe Seconds and the like) have actually begun to draw people back into the system.

8 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Also to note is how weekend ridership fell much more than weekday ridership – but appears to be rising faster than weekday ridership! I wonder if this is just simply a baseline of subway ridership at this point in time (as in, unless things were to suddenly get much worse, those who chose to leave the subway already left, and more aren't leaving), or if the MTA's improvements over the last year (especially Save Safe Seconds and the like) have actually begun to draw people back into the system.

I would mainly attribute that to the weekend headways. Most trains run less frequently on weekends compared to several years ago.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

I would mainly attribute that to the weekend headways. Most trains run less frequently on weekends compared to several years ago.

I thought that was attributed to the large amount of service disruptions on weekends – if it was a pain to get somewhere, people chose to use a different transit method, or simply stay home.