Man dead, 5-year-old daughter hurt after jumping in front of train in Bronx

BM5 via Woodhaven

https://abc7ny.com/traffic/man-jumps-in-front-of-train-while-holding-daughter-police-say/5560911/

Updated 3 hours ago

KINGSBRIDGE, Bronx (WABC) -- A man is dead and his 5-year-old daughter was injured after police say he jumped in front of a moving train in the Bronx while holding onto her.

The incident happened before 8 a.m. Monday at Jerome Avenue and West Kingsbridge Road.

Police say 45-year-old Fernando Balbuena-Flores jumped onto the tracks while holding his daughter and was hit by a southbound 4 train. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Sources say the child was not hit by the train. She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center to be treated for scratches.

The train platform was packed with commuters during the morning rush. People frantically tried to wave down the train operator as he rounded the corner and pulled into the station.

But it was too late and witnesses say the man jumped onto the tracks with his little girl. Amazingly the child found a safe spot and was not seriously hurt.

Cellphone video captured good Samaritans helping the frightened child get back up onto the platform.

The crowd and EMTs comforted the little girl before she was taken to the hospital.

Right before the man jumped, witnesses say he was on the phone and was calm.

"I heard him telling the wife that, 'You look out for the other two kids, I'm gonna take her to school,' and then he said, 'I love you,'" witness Pamela Ivy said.

The little girl's mother, Niurka Caraballo, spoke out later Monday afternoon:

"Please respect my pain. Thank you for being there, thank you for having my back. Thank you to the 52nd precinct - I'm home now and they're still reaching out to make sure that I made it home OK, that I eat, that my daughter eats. Thank you, but please respect my pain. The child is in perfect condition, thank you to God and the angels who took care of her. Everything is fine, except the absence of my husband - thank you."

The train operator who was behind the wheel as 20 years of experience and was treated for trauma.

"This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family members as well as with our employees who responded - this is a traumatic event for everyone involved," said MTA spokesperson Shams Tarek.

10 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

https://abc7ny.com/traffic/man-jumps-in-front-of-train-while-holding-daughter-police-say/5560911/

Updated 3 hours ago

KINGSBRIDGE, Bronx (WABC) -- A man is dead and his 5-year-old daughter was injured after police say he jumped in front of a moving train in the Bronx while holding onto her.

The incident happened before 8 a.m. Monday at Jerome Avenue and West Kingsbridge Road.

Police say 45-year-old Fernando Balbuena-Flores jumped onto the tracks while holding his daughter and was hit by a southbound 4 train. Medics pronounced him dead at the scene.

Sources say the child was not hit by the train. She was taken to Jacobi Medical Center to be treated for scratches.

The train platform was packed with commuters during the morning rush. People frantically tried to wave down the train operator as he rounded the corner and pulled into the station.

But it was too late and witnesses say the man jumped onto the tracks with his little girl. Amazingly the child found a safe spot and was not seriously hurt.

Cellphone video captured good Samaritans helping the frightened child get back up onto the platform.

The crowd and EMTs comforted the little girl before she was taken to the hospital.

Right before the man jumped, witnesses say he was on the phone and was calm.

"I heard him telling the wife that, 'You look out for the other two kids, I'm gonna take her to school,' and then he said, 'I love you,'" witness Pamela Ivy said.

The little girl's mother, Niurka Caraballo, spoke out later Monday afternoon:

"Please respect my pain. Thank you for being there, thank you for having my back. Thank you to the 52nd precinct - I'm home now and they're still reaching out to make sure that I made it home OK, that I eat, that my daughter eats. Thank you, but please respect my pain. The child is in perfect condition, thank you to God and the angels who took care of her. Everything is fine, except the absence of my husband - thank you."

The train operator who was behind the wheel as 20 years of experience and was treated for trauma.

"This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family members as well as with our employees who responded - this is a traumatic event for everyone involved," said MTA spokesperson Shams Tarek.

Wow....Unbelievable

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Very sad.... I saw the video with the girl being rescued...

Yes it is...I mean he tried to kill him and his daughter...I dont want to even imagine what he could have been going thru to end your life like that.... Stress can be a silent killer if that what it was....But dam its just always sad to read or even witness something horrible like that... 

3 minutes ago, biGC323232 said:

Yes it is...I mean he tried to kill him and his daughter...I dont want to even imagine what he could have been going thru to end your life like that.... Stress can be a silent killer if that what it was....But dam its just always sad to read or even witness something horrible like that... 

It gets harder and ever more expensive to live in the City. I suspect that could be part of it.

I'm not so sure. This sounds a bit more serious, like maybe they had an altercation. He jumped onto the the line holding the kid, so I think its clear what his intentions were.

I understand if no one wants to face that, but its obvious to me he tried to kill them both.

Edited by Missabassie

Survival instincts kicked in... Good for her... Hope she turns out alright in life :)

Speaking of which, she should resent that MF-er for the rest of her natural life..... I can't bring myself to feel sympathetic for this f*** - especially when the decision was made to jeopardize the life of a second party (his own flesh & blood, no less) to put a permanent end to his own hardship and/or suffering....

None.

Just talking about this today at work with some co-workers. It’s sad that this occurred because subway related deaths are increasing. Just the other day (Saturday) a person was hit and killed by a train at Forest Hills 71 Ave. All (E) and (F) trains ran local in both directions because of that.

I don’t know what was the motive of the guy who tried to kill himself and his daughter, but the state of his mental health definitely wasn’t in good shape. Mental health is definitely an area that needs to be invested in more, because I feel like a lot more people nowadays are stressed out, depressed, anxious and etc. 

I went up there a little bit ago and there's still blood stains on the track and there's a slight smell of death. My heart aches for the entire family...

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It gets harder and ever more expensive to live in the City. I suspect that could be part of it.

No excuse for him to try to take his 5-year-old out with him. Yea, the guy needed help no doubt, but taking innocent people's lives is even worse than the actual suicide (which is already bad enough.)

Honestly, I wish he coulda lived too just so that he would get his brains beat in by everyone on the platform once they pulled him out.

3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I went up there a little bit ago and there's still blood stains on the track and there's a slight smell of death. My heart aches for the entire family...

No excuse for him to try to take his 5-year-old out with him. Yea, the guy needed help no doubt, but taking innocent people's lives is even worse than the actual suicide (which is already bad enough.)

Honestly, I wish he coulda lived too just so that he would get his brains beat in by everyone on the platform once they pulled him out.

Oh I'm not excusing his actions are all... There's never an excuse, but at the same time, people are feeling the squeeze financially, and sometimes people do crazy things.