Update on the Release of the Bronx Bus Network Redesign Final Plan

Mpn4179

19 hours ago, engineerboy6561 said:

If you mean express buses, then I suggested what I did because the BxM6 makes exactly three stops and is always at least partially on the chopping block as a result. If you meant that the towers on Lafayette west of WPR need express bus, rolling it into the BxM6 makes more sense than creating a new route; instead of having a low-performing route and an experimental route we'd have a single higher-performing route. The BxM10 is generally pretty solid, but that route already ends three blocks away from 222 St, so the extension would add maybe 5-10 minutes of runtime. If you meant local bus service, then you're right, but I'd rather rearrange the BxM6 and tweak the BxM10 in a way that improves ridership than add two routes that parallel existing stuff or are short (a 222 St express bus is walking distance from the BxM10 and BxM11, and the new route by Lafayette would be too short).

If you mean local buses, then you're right about adding new routes.

I agree on you on flipping the BxM6. The express version of the 222nd wasn’t mentioned by me but I think you just gave me a good idea

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

What are the current options for Soundview patrons and besides I think the Bx39 has overnight service. 

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

It only runs overnight between Wakefield and Gun Hill Road to interlink with the Bx41.

Correct. That's why he specified "full" Bx39 (personally I think if any portion should hsve overnight service it should be the southern end not the northern end)

While they're at it I think they should give the Bx3 and Bx13 overnight service.

• 2 weeks later...

This is new:

Plan Your Trip in the New Network

Use this tool to get a hypothetical preview of Bronx bus service in the proposed network. This future trip planning tool includes all the proposed stop changes, routing changes, and new schedules proposed in our Final Plan. It covers one of week of service, from October 4, 2020, to October 10, 2020, so that you can test out both weekday and weekend trips.

A few things to keep in mind:

This planning tool represents what Bronx bus service would be like in the future and is not meant to be used as a trip planner for the current bus network.
Routes that travel to boroughs that have not been redesigned yet will use existing stops, routes, and schedules for the portion of the route in the non-redesigned borough. For example, the portion of the Q50 LTD that runs in the Bronx will use the new stop lists, routes, and schedules. The portion of the Q50 LTD that runs in Queens will use existing data from the current Queens Bus Network.
As additional borough bus networks are redesigned and stop lists, routes, and schedules are reconfigured, we will add them to this planning tool.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, SubBus said:

What is the difference between the new version of the (Bx25) and the one that was discontinued a few years ago?

This one serves Sections 1-3 and Bay Plaza, whereas the previous one became the current Bx26 (which served all sections prior to June 2010). The previous iteration was a rush-hour variant, whereas this is a daily, all-day variant.

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

This one serves Sections 1-3 and Bay Plaza, whereas the previous one became the current Bx26 (which served all sections prior to June 2010). The previous iteration was a rush-hour variant, whereas this is a daily, all-day variant.

Thanks  for the information....

On 10/30/2019 at 1:40 PM, Future ENY OP said:

My only rationale about is that the bus shouldn’t be making too many stops in Manhattan. I get the current BxM2 makes the 79th Street stop across from the Historical Society. However, from my past experiences taking the 2 that stop carries air. 

I get your reasoning on this and no argue meant here.

AMNH should only be an off peak stop and not on peak. After Lincoln Center, make Mount Sinai stop than Bronx Express. 

I'm a regular rider of the BxM2. It does not carry air.  Many people use the stop especially going back to Riverdale, myself included.  Not only that but many people in Riverdale work at the museums or are members at the museums, including the AMNH.  I take the BxM2 with someone who works at one of the museums along Central Park West, and she pulled the numbers for customers that have a 10463 or 10471 zip code.  It is quite high.

9 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I always wondered why the Bx23 was the only local Bronx route than by MTA Bus, now I know because it was split from the QBx1 (or Q50). Are runs interlined with the Q50 or are they separate runs?

Separate.

Interlining trips would defeat the purpose of having split the QBx1...

----------------------------------------

More I think about it, the more I say they should've just turned the Q50 off on Bartow (en route to terminating in Section 5), instead of operating it along the outer edge of the neighborhood w/o directly serving Dreiser.... Either that, or serve the stops inside the Bay Plaza shopping center before going on to terminating in Section 5....

Retaining that much of an overlap north of Bartow to where the [Bx23 loops around Co-op whilst serving Dreiser (and Asch)] & the [Q50 loops around Co-op w/o serving Dreiser] to me, is rather wasteful.... For all that, they could've kept the QBx1 around & simply not have any (or select) trips serving Dreiser & Asch..... The QBx1 had short turn trips that ran between PBP & Co-Op anyway....

To sum it up, I have less of a problem with the simple notion of splitting the QBx1 & more of a problem with how it was split.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I think the Q50 could just skip the Loop entirely, or reroute a few of them to head straight to Section 5 via Bartow. The Bx23 is much more frequent than the Q50 during peak times and they bunch up quite a bit with the followers being quite empty and the first bus isn't even close to a seated load. It leads to Bx23's overtaking the Q50's in many instances and the Q50 pulls into PBP 5-10 minutes late. You have two bus routes taking passengers along the same route to the same destination but one goes a lot further so it does seem wasteful, let the Q50 be a true limited and not just skip those measly stops along Bruckner.  

38 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

I think the Q50 could just skip the Loop entirely, or reroute a few of them to head straight to Section 5 via Bartow. The Bx23 is much more frequent than the Q50 during peak times and they bunch up quite a bit with the followers being quite empty and the first bus isn't even close to a seated load. It leads to Bx23's overtaking the Q50's in many instances and the Q50 pulls into PBP 5-10 minutes late. You have two bus routes taking passengers along the same route to the same destination but one goes a lot further so it does seem wasteful, let the Q50 be a true limited and not just skip those measly stops along Bruckner.  

That's pretty much what I'm getting at; there aren't that many people deep in Co-Op doing too much riding past PBP..... It's the PBP - Flushing segment of the route that's seeing more patronage now, than it did back then (including its intra-Queens usage).... They did the right thing by not splitting the QBx1 at PBP - but at the same time, they have the Q50 serving too much of Co-op.....

The thing is good for general network coverage (NE Bronx → Flushing), but at the same time, Co-op patrons themselves are not trying to get to Queens like that... They're either too busy panning westward out of the neighborhood to get/remain somewhere within the Bronx, or trying to catch some train to get to Manhattan or whatever....

Edited by B35 via Church

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 5:53 PM, B35 via Church said:

That's pretty much what I'm getting at; there aren't that many people deep in Co-Op doing too much riding past PBP..... It's the PBP - Flushing segment of the route that's seeing more patronage now, than it did back then (including its intra-Queens usage).... They did the right thing by not splitting the QBx1 at PBP - but at the same time, they have the Q50 serving too much of Co-op.....

The thing is good for general network coverage (NE Bronx → Flushing), but at the same time, Co-op patrons themselves are not trying to get to Queens like that... They're either too busy panning westward out of the neighborhood to get/remain somewhere within the Bronx, or trying to catch some train to get to Manhattan or whatever....

I wouldn't consider the last part entirely true. People there are not only seeking out routes into Manhattan and the Bronx; Queens, specifically the Flushing Terminus, is a major transfer point. The entire run is over an hour (from flushing to earhart lane), and the stops are frequent, so the Q50 LTD, in my opinion, doesn't feel like a real limited service. According to the bus maps, the Q50 stops are just as frequent as the Bx23 in some parts, making the split of the Qbx1 into a local and limited service not literal. It should work more like this: bx23 on 3-4 or so minute intervals, stops at every loop, via 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1 (which is what it already does), then back to pelham bay at all times. The Q50 should be more around 7 minute headways in the peak hour, but run more express, making only around 9 stops around co-op city to make the trip around in 10 minutes or less, so it's a real limited service. Then, eliminate several stops along the route in the bronx and queens and replace it with a local route that only runs between flushing and pelham bay. Then the Q50 should make the trip in 40 minutes (at least, that's how it should be, i haven't done enough research to make it line up with the stops). And make the Q50 run via 5-4-3-2-1 as well, so riders going to and coming from the train have a local or express option both ways-local if they want a more direct route that takes a little longer, or a faster but slightly less frequent route that requires slightly more walking (no more than a couple minutes though, considering the neighborhood layout). Then, for service to Queens and other connecting points there that are frequent, unlike most people think, make it a faster and more express trip with true limited service, by doing the stop-elimination and local replacement with the Bx23 in co-op and other bus between pelham bay and flushing.