Update on the Release of the Bronx Bus Network Redesign Final Plan

Mpn4179

20 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You have no idea how furious I am. I haven't even finished going through everything, but I am looking at the spans now. My consensus is that some of this might be replaced with funding from the Outer Borough Transit Fund, but we can't wait for that, as that won't be available until after congestion pricing is sorted out. This is exactly why the new express bus order took so long because they wanted to sort out how much service they planned on cutting.

They snuck that shit in! They only kept the BxM10 as a 2-way route! The rest are gonna run one way only.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

My thoughts:

-The old BxM4B is now the old BxM4A. Rush hour only but better than nothing at all, I guess.

-The Bx25 is back! The headways between the two might be a bit concerning tho, especially if the buses don't stay on schedule (highly likely)

-The BxM2 cuts in the midday (and also the others to a lesser extent) is literally like prodding a sleeping bear. Oh boy...

-I like that they reversed course on the Co-op City changes. The Bx29 is still gone from Co-op but the Bx23 got bumped up frequency wise to cover for that at least.

-We were warned a year ago that they were gonna trim some fat on the (MTA) Bus express network, and here we are.

edit: Yo. Why the hell are the express buses peak direction only now?!?! Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky! The only route they kept as a two-way route was the BxM10!

They are doing that to appease Parkchester and the Albert Einstein/Montefiore crowd, because I'm sure they would go crazy. Meanwhile they are GUTTING the BxM7 to Co-Op City. I can't see Co-Op City standing for this at all. It has taken me a good hour for my blood pressure to subside, but we're hitting the ground running starting this weekend. This cannot be accepted.

1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

They snuck that shit in! They only kept the BxM10 as a 2-way route! The rest are gonna run one way only.

They most certainly did, and it's not a coincidence that the express bus order was now approved for 257 express buses for (MTA) Bus because this was likely the plan all along.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are doing that to appease Parkchester and the Albert Einstein/Montefiore crowd, because I'm sure they would go crazy.

They're probably waiting for Metro-North to start up service over there before cutting the BxM10.

Meanwhile they are GUTTING the BxM7 to Co-Op City. I can't see Co-Op City standing for this at all. It has taken me a good hour for my blood pressure to subside, but we're hitting the ground running starting this weekend. This cannot be accepted.

"You don't want the BxM17? You want the local buses in every corner of Co-op City? Mk fine, but remember, cost neutral" - (MTA), probably

They are doing that to appease Parkchester and the Albert Einstein/Montefiore crowd, because I'm sure they would go crazy. Meanwhile they are GUTTING the BxM7 to Co-Op City. I can't see Co-Op City standing for this at all. It has taken me a good hour for my blood pressure to subside, but we're hitting the ground running starting this weekend. This cannot be accepted.

I had to look at the breakdowns A few times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Where are these buses going? There cutting service and taking the extra buses where? Ive taken the BMX7 late night to standing room. 

Just now, RailRunRob said:

I had to look at the breakdowns A few times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Where are these buses going? There cutting service and taking the extra buses where? Ive taken the BMX7 late night to standing room. 

They're just going to cut it and I guess we're supposed to walk to Manhattan or we're supposed to take three subways and a bus just to get to and from.  The people in Co-Op City esp. will be screwed over. So many people work late nights that under this proposal would have no service at the time when they need it.

Just now, paulrivera said:

They're probably waiting for Metro-North to start up service over there before cutting the BxM10.

"You don't want the BxM17? You want the local buses in every corner of Co-op City? Mk fine, but remember, cost neutral" - (MTA), probably

So why not wait until the Metro-North hit's Co-Op City as well.. 

Shouldn't cost neutral be leave as is? It's not like the local express buses are interchangeable.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They're just going to cut it and I guess we're supposed to walk to Manhattan or we're supposed to take three subways and a bus just to get to and from.  The people in Co-Op City esp. will be screwed over. So many people work late nights that under this proposal would have no service at the time when they need it.

Very true. I remember one time hearing the X1/SIM1 & BXM7 should Possibly warrant 24 hour service.

Edited by RailRunRob

It’s funny how they are making most of the express buses one directional, it doesn’t make sense at first, BUT (you may disagree with me on this), I could see why they did this, cause most buses, except for the BxM1 and BxM7, carry air during off peak hours. 

Contradicting my own statement here, recently however, I’ve been seeing a lot more midday passengers heading down or up from Manhattan on express bus lines, specifically the BxM1/7/8, so, this cute little cut in service, could be very costly in the long run.

1 minute ago, NBTA said:

It’s funny how they are making most of the express buses one directional, it doesn’t make sense at first, BUT (you may disagree with me on this), I could see why they did this, cause most buses, except for the BxM1 and BxM7, carry air during off peak hours. 

Contradicting my own statement here, recently however, I’ve been seeing a lot more midday passengers heading down or up from Manhattan on express bus lines, specifically the BxM1/7/8, so, this cute little cut in service, could be very costly in the long run.

They don't carry air. There are a lot of people that go to work or have doctor's appointments or other important matters during midday and those people need service just like those of us that take the bus during peak periods.  Unless you ride the express bus with any regularity, your comments are not accurate.  This plan literally will people stranded or forced to drive to and from. This is a serious situation. I moved to where I live now because of the transit options and under this plan, I would have to reconsider my commute entirely, as I take these buses at various hours for work purposes. Not all of us work 9-5 jobs.  

It's as if they've succumbed more to whatever backlash they received regarding the original proposals for the local buses, to go full retard with that for the express buses (the not considering the implementation of that troll-worthy suggestion of a route [BxM17] is by no means any victory here)..... They're adopting the peak direction model for the Bronx expresses (akin to most of SI's exp. routes), with a minimal amount of overlap.... Brooklynites & Queens patrons (Queens-ites sounds stupid) may as well prepare themselves for the same ordeal.....

I still feel some type of way about the Henry Hudson BS.... I would say I can't wait for that shit to blow up in the MTA's face, but this primarily affects the riders, not the entity themselves....

2 minutes ago, NBTA said:

The problem is they cut way too much. I can see if they wanted to run a bus every hour to Manhattan between 10am and 10pm and start Bronx bound service at like 8am instead of 6am, but running Manhattan bound from 6am to noon and Bronx bound from 1pm to midnight is straight up insulting to people who are willing to pay a premium to avoid a delay-prone subway at those hours, let alone the people that can't easily reach those subway lines (the 65+ age group comes to mind.)

2 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Gotta pay for the BxM4 on the Concourse and the Q50 to Co-op City somehow.... /s

But there no Additional service in the Co-Op City Area? Your only running the Q50 at peak that savings from current ops and that extra bus or two is pushed to the Bx23 that's savings. What does that have to do with the slots for the BMX7 @ ECH I dont see how that's Cost neutral wouldn't cost you anything more to leave it as is.

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

It's as if they've succumbed more to whatever backlash they received regarding the original proposals for the local buses, to go full retard with that for the express buses (the not considering the implementation of that troll-worthy suggestion of a route [BxM17] is by no means any victory here)..... They're adopting the peak direction model for the Bronx expresses (akin to most of SI's exp. routes), with a minimal amount of overlap.... Brooklynites & Queens patrons (Queens-ites sounds stupid) may as well prepare themselves for the same ordeal.....

I still feel some type of way about the Henry Hudson BS.... I would say I can't wait for that shit to blow up in the MTA's face, but this primarily affects the riders, not the entity themselves....

What I'm annoyed by and what I mentioned in our comments to them is if they're going to move the BxM2 and BxM18 to the West Side, where's the HOV lane for these buses? Not a single thing about that in this revised draft. The whole this is just pathetic. We threatened a lawsuit regarding the BxM4 situation, which is the only reason I think they're keeping it running on the Concourse peak hours, and we also pushed back on the BxM11 up in Wakefield, so they extended the BxM11 up into Mount Vernon, but most of everything else is a failure, especially the spans and frequencies.

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They don't carry air. There are a lot of people that go to work or have doctor's appointments or other important matters during midday and those people need service just like those of us that take the bus during peak periods.  Unless you ride the express bus with any regularity, your comments are not accurate.  This plan literally will people stranded or forced to drive to and from. This is a serious situation. I moved to where I live now because of the transit options and under this plan, I would have to reconsider my commute entirely, as I take these buses at various hours for work purposes. Not all of us work 9-5 jobs.  

8 minutes ago, NBTA said:

@NBTA I read what you wrote. It isn't "recently" though...  Ridership has been up in general in part because of efforts to push the (MTA) to provide better service in general after YEARS of HORRENDOUS service.   Many of us don't have subways in our neighborhood and live in two fare zones (what was two fare zones prior to the Metrocard), so these cuts will create serious hardship for people that need to go to Manhattan for doctor's appointments for work and otherwise. I have quite a few people in our advocacy group that work overnight or at times where may no longer have any express bus service.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

They eliminated Sunday BxM3 service!?! Do they not know that theres ridership on the BxM3 on Sunday!? This is ridiculous!!

I spoke with one of the planners up in Pelham Bay, and his response was that they're "all low performing". Like what an arrogant prick.  They will say anything to justify these ridiculous service cuts.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I spoke with one of the planners up in Pelham Bay, and his response was that they're "all low performing". Like what an arrogant prick.  They will say anything to justify these ridiculous service cuts.

Clearly they do not ride these buses. Where can I fight this change? There is no way I am letting them discontinue BxM3 service on sunday. 

3 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

But there no Additional service in the Co-Op City Area? Your only running the Q50 at peak that savings from current ops and that extra bus or two is pushed to the Bx23 that's savings. What does that have to do with the slots for the BMX7 @ ECH I dont see how that's Cost neutral wouldn't cost you anything more to leave it as is.

This was all a ploy for them to cut service. That's it. This is by far the worst that I have seen from this agency.

5 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

/s = sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I'm annoyed by and what I mentioned in our comments to them is if they're going to move the BxM2 and BxM18 to the West Side, where's the HOV lane for these buses? Not a single thing about that in this revised draft. The whole this is just pathetic. We threatened a lawsuit regarding the BxM4 situation, which is the only reason I think they're keeping it running on the Concourse peak hours, and we also pushed back on the BxM11 up in Wakefield, so they extended the BxM11 up into Mount Vernon, but most of everything else is a failure, especially the spans and frequencies.

I haven't gotten around to checking out the whole PDF, but now that I take a glimpse at the map for the impending alterations to the BxM4, they've essentially brought back the old BxM4a.... Matter fact, this route is worse than the old 4a, because at least that served Bainbridge on up to the hospital, before it turned off on Gun Hill to transport much of no one in the outbound direction..... This isn't aimed at you, but honestly, what in the f*** is the point of this bastardized reversion (intentional or unintentional), when they got rid of the 4a to eventually make the old BxM4b the current BxM4?!

I'm quite certain that threat of a lawsuit you bring up here sparked up some petrification; Grand Concourse north of Bedford Park blvd. warrants just about as much service as the old BxM4a did past Montefiore (towards Paul/205th).....

IDK man, I don't even live in the Bronx & I'm sitting here miffed at this crap....

11 minutes ago, NBTA said:

It is as plain as cheerios as to why they're circumcising off peak service on these routes...... Still doesn't make it warranted.

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

/s = sarcasm.

I haven't gotten around to checking out the whole PDF, but now that I take a glimpse at the map for the impending alterations to the BxM4, they've essentially brought back the old BxM4a.... Matter fact, this route is worse than the old 4a, because at least that served Bainbridge on up to the hospital, before it turned off on Gun Hill to transport much of no one in the outbound direction..... This isn't aimed at you, but honestly, what in the f*** is the point of this bastardized reversion (intentional or unintentional), when they got rid of the 4a to eventually make the old BxM4b the current BxM4?!

I'm quite certain that threat of a lawsuit you bring up here sparked up some petrification; Grand Concourse north of Bedford Park blvd. warrants just about as much service as the old BxM4a did past Montefiore (towards Paul/205th).....

IDK man, I don't even live in the Bronx & I'm sitting here miffed at this crap....

It gets BETTER. Go down further... They are CUTTING the service spans on just about EVERY BxM line weekdays AND weekends!! That sent me over the edge!!