Update on the Release of the Bronx Bus Network Redesign Final Plan

Mpn4179

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It gets BETTER. Go down further... They are CUTTING the service spans on just about EVERY BxM line weekdays AND weekends!! That sent me over the edge!!

It should.

Its insanity..... Like I said earlier, it will be the blueprint for express service in the whole city.

Need off peak service to get to Manhattan as an outerborough patron? Prepare for a (longer walk to a) bus, to a (more, increasingly crowded) train..... The highlight lowlight of these Bronx changes are the axing of express bus service & the "consolidation" of local bus stops.....

The same express bus hating jesters back in the day that made such a sticking point about CPR (cost per rider) being too high, in their support of their ousting of the things, I'm quite sure are jubilant over their faster, emptier, timelier subways <_<.... Add to that mix, local buses that'll make even less stops now.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Sure, (the implication behind) increasing the distance/stop may sound nice on paper, but it is directly proportional to something IMO that's highly underrated - an increase of (pissed off) riders/stop.... Some may quantify this as a slippery slope, but I see more altercations between passengers arising... It's bad enough people push & shove their way onto the local buses as it is.... It isn't as prevalent a problem in Queens, but let this stop consolidation shit happen out there & that courtesy/nicety will fly right out the window.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They are doing that to appease Parkchester and the Albert Einstein/Montefiore crowd, because I'm sure they would go crazy. Meanwhile they are GUTTING the BxM7 to Co-Op City. I can't see Co-Op City standing for this at all. It has taken me a good hour for my blood pressure to subside, but we're hitting the ground running starting this weekend. This cannot be accepted.

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

I had to look at the breakdowns A few times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Where are these buses going? There cutting service and taking the extra buses where? Ive taken the BMX7 late night to standing room. 

1 hour ago, RailRunRob said:

But there no Additional service in the Co-Op City Area? Your only running the Q50 at peak that savings from current ops and that extra bus or two is pushed to the Bx23 that's savings. What does that have to do with the slots for the BMX7 @ ECH I dont see how that's Cost neutral wouldn't cost you anything more to leave it as is.

These buses have to deadhead to/from Midtown either way. Empty.

Let that sink in.

After re-reading the plan and actually going in depth with it, I’ve came to the realization that, the MTA takes express bus riders as a joke now. I retract my statement that was said earlier, simply because it was ludicrous, and I wasn’t having logic towards it. 

These damn TA officials really don’t want any of the express bus riders to be happy, first with the SIMs (which is not entirely all fixed yet), now with the BxMs, which is possibly gonna get worse unless if we all have a say so in it. I can’t speak for everyone, but it seems like people are okay with the routing of the lines, I’m not 100% sure, but the timing, definitely has to get fixed ASAP. The next few meetings, are gonna be hell for them, and they better fix what’s wrong, FAST, or they are definitely losing ridership to all of the cab companies in the city.

24 minutes ago, NBTA said:

After re-reading the plan and actually going in depth with it, I’ve came to the realization that, the MTA takes express bus riders as a joke now. I retract my statement that was said earlier, simply because it was ludicrous, and I wasn’t having logic towards it. 

Don't worry about it.

Anyway, the attitude towards bus riders in this city by this agency has been one of expendability for the longest....

Edited by B35 via Church

16 hours ago, RailRunRob said:

I was told by someone that also is working a redesign there was was totally independent teams working the different redesigns.With the Bronx working and testing the Remix software.

I can back this up as I was told the same at the Wakefield meeting.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

None of these frequency changes were mentioned for the draft plan OR the open houses. Ridiculous.

Every route in the draft plan had frequencies noted.

Being the final plan, it shouldn't be a shock that headways have changed.

24 minutes ago, LTA1992 said:

Every route in the draft plan had frequencies noted.

Being the final plan, it shouldn't be a shock that headways have changed.

Nowhere in these plans mentioned anything about the express buses going peak direction only.

Hell, even the SIM routes don't do that!

Just now, ViaWaterViaChurch said:

I'm curious to see ultimately how much faster the new BxM2 and BxM18 routes will be since they're supposedly more direct.  I'm not sure how great ridership was up around Mt Sinai but it sucks those people have to hoof it over to Lex now for service from Riverdale.  

At least they don’t have to wait until  1pm to get back to Riverdale...

So the bean counters are back at it again with the express bus cuts.

Theoretically, what this means is that depots with lots of express bus routes would essentially be operating at similar capacities, with overall less service. They're cutting buses but are still making them deadhead from Manhattan back to The Bronx during the morning and early midday (and vice-versa during the late midday, afternoon, and evening). In what world does this make sense? The amount of time the bus takes to go to & from Manhattan, and then start another trip to Manhattan would be virtually the same as running the buses inbound, deadheading them to their Bronx terminal, and placing them into service again. I don't know who the genius behind that was, but this is so embarrassing that such a concept isn't even understood.  

They talk about direct this and that, but don't talk about the frequency changes. If the BxM4/BxM5 proposal is the new final product, they might as well have left the BxM4 routing alone. Also, at the very least the BxM11 could have been extended to Woodlawn to provide off-peak service there, but I'm pretty sure cOsT went into that too. 

And on the local side, the M100 and Bx15 truncations are still on the table on the local side. Not only that, but overnight Bx15 service will be reduced.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

29 minutes ago, Lex said:

I'd willingly trade BxM3 service north of 262nd Street for Sunday service. (Seriously, why is that still a thing?)

Based on the headways and runtime, cutting service to 262nd Street wouldn't save much of anything. Buses will still need to DH (now further), but the same cycle time would be applicable regardless if the bus originated from Yonkers or Riverdale (and the B.O still gets paid when he or she is on layover). 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

So the bean counters are back at it again with the express bus cuts.

Theoretically, what this means is that depots with lots of express bus routes would essentially be operating at much lower capacity. YO would only be running what, one route on Saturdays (and none on Sundays)? In what world does this make sense? Some of those B.Os might have to be transferred to NYCT (and essentially start from scratch in terms of seniority). 

And on the local side, the M100 and Bx15 truncations are still on the table. Not only that, but overnight Bx15 service will be reduced.

What depots does the BxM1, 2, and 11 run out of on weekends?

55 minutes ago, limitednyc said:

i bet you they would have cut these spans cuts without the redesign .  look at what they have done in Brooklyn  on the bm routes

I read in one of the (MTA) 's materials a few months ago that they wanted to make XX million dollars in cuts to MTA Bus in 2020.

The ax was gonna come no matter what.

Next up: The Long Island Rail Road.