Uni-Ticket LIRR + MTA

pranavbhat924

Hello y'all. Hope your doing well this fine morning :)

I came here because 511 was of no use. I purchased a Weekly LIRR UniTicket yesterday from Little Neck to Flushing then onwards on the "MTA BUS" (see Port Washington LIRR Schedule Brochure Section titled "UniTicket" for more info)

I recieved the ticket at the machine, and it just looks like a normal LIRR ticket, but it has the words "MTA Bus" on it. My question is how do I use it, do I have to use it on the bus lines mentioned, or will the drives not care if I use it on any bus departing from Flushing (Q48 or Q27)?

Please advise. I hope you all have some clue. Thanks!

I went to Jamaica station yesterday to trade my Weekly for a Monthly, and none of the personnel at Jamaica knew about the Uni Ticket (not even the manager!) 

They had to call corporate to find out how to use it, and they said to just show the ticket to the bus driver. However, the monthly is on a metro card with a swipe bar. So now I'm skeptical if what they said is true. Oh well!

• 1 month later...

The UniTickets should just be flashed to the bus driver.  There is an endorsement on the front of the ticket that differentiates it from a normal ticket....where you see the printed "MTA" logo on the face of the tickets is replaced with a block with text in it, like this:ChjQn8rXEAEmw-E.jpg

I'm not surprised nobody seemed to know anything about the UniTickets, with such poor coordination between trains and buses, hardly anybody uses them.  Just 422 monthly NYCT/MTA Bus UniTickets were sold in all of 2018.

17 hours ago, lirr42 said:

The UniTickets should just be flashed to the bus driver.  There is an endorsement on the front of the ticket that differentiates it from a normal ticket....where you see the printed "MTA" logo on the face of the tickets is replaced with a block with text in it, like this:ChjQn8rXEAEmw-E.jpg

I'm not surprised nobody seemed to know anything about the UniTickets, with such poor coordination between trains and buses, hardly anybody uses them.  Just 422 monthly NYCT/MTA Bus UniTickets were sold in all of 2018.

1) Perfect Halloween picture, that price is scary.

2) Not only is the coordination between trains and buses poor, the UniTickets are typically limited to certain bus routes and can't be used on the subway. They're used less because they're essentially useless.

UniTickets
UniTickets (combination bus/rail tickets) offer special discounts for monthly and weekly travel from certain suburban LIRR stations on local bus routes. UniTickets are valid on certain MTA Bus and NYC Transit buses in Queens, NICE Bus routes in Nassau County, and Long Beach Bus routes. The following discounted bus options are available with the purchase of LIRR Monthly or Weekly tickets:

UniTickets Available:

Bus Operator|Monthly|Weekly

NICE - All Buses |$54.75| $13.25

Long Beach - All Buses |$30.00|N/A

NYCT - Q5, Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q17, Q20, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q31, Q44, Q48, Q85
(at Rosedale, Bayside & Flushing LIRR Stations only)|$44.75|$11.50

MTA Bus - Q19, Q25, Q34, Q50, Q65 and Q66 (at Flushing LIRR Station only)|$44.75|$11.50

23 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

1) Perfect Halloween picture, that price is scary.

2) Not only is the coordination between trains and buses poor, the UniTickets are typically limited to certain bus routes and can't be used on the subway. They're used less because they're essentially useless.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, lirr42 said:

On 9/28/2019 at 8:58 AM, pranavbhat924 said:

I went to Jamaica station yesterday to trade my Weekly for a Monthly, and none of the personnel at Jamaica knew about the Uni Ticket (not even the manager!) 

They had to call corporate to find out how to use it, and they said to just show the ticket to the bus driver. However, the monthly is on a metro card with a swipe bar. So now I'm skeptical if what they said is true. Oh well!

The information given to the OP is correct.  Only monthly passes come printed on a "Metrocard" (it's actually a paper one, and not the standard Metrocard) when you get a Uniticket, because the thinking is that monthly commuters will likely use their Metrocard to transfer to the bus or subway afterwards. When I get monthly tickets for Metro-North, I keep a separate Metrocard for the express bus because those paper Metrocards can wear out or bend very easily despite being printed on heavy paper stock, and yes, if you get a monthly with the Uniticket, you can simply flash the pass to the bus driver, showing the part that is shown above where the (MTA) "HD TD" is stamped.

That said, I have not bought a MNRR or LIRR paper ticket in ages!! I use e-Tix app for both. They are on my phone and iPad and come in super handy when I need a ticket and am in a rush.  There's even the option for a monthly pass.  Cuts down on a lot of waste...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

On 11/1/2019 at 10:54 AM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That said, I have not bought a MNRR or LIRR paper ticket in ages!! I use e-Tix app for both. They are on my phone and iPad and come in super handy when I need a ticket and am in a rush.  There's even the option for a monthly pass.  Cuts down on a lot of waste...

Off topic, but eTix was a godsend when it came out. Before it came out, when I was going to SBU and had to travel home on the weekends I would have to show up to the train station up to a half hour early to get a paper ticket printed out in time, because there were only about three ticket machines at the entire station, and large amounts of people show up to leave SBU on weekends.

After eTix I could cut it a lot closer by just having prepurchased the ticket.