Lost MetroCard Speed of Deactivation

CenSin

If I report a lost/stolen MetroCard how quickly is it deactivated? My card is one of those unlimited cards gotten through Wageworks TransitChek.

I lost it on the very first day due to it slipping out of my pocket. I backtraced my steps to home and did not see a trace of it, so I reported it to Wageworks just an hour and a half from the incident. Suppose someone picked it up and thought it was his lucky day, how quickly would it stop working to disappoint him?

5 minutes ago, CenSin said:

If I report a lost/stolen MetroCard how quickly is it deactivated? My card is one of those unlimited cards gotten through Wageworks TransitChek.

I lost it on the very first day due to it slipping out of my pocket. I backtraced my steps to home and did not see a trace of it, so I reported it to Wageworks just an hour and a half from the incident. Suppose someone picked it up and thought it was his lucky day, how quickly would it stop working to disappoint him?

I think the card is deactivated immediately and the turnstiles/fareboxes sync within 1 to 2 days. More importantly your replacement is ready the next day if you can go to the wageworks office to pick it up. 

16 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

I think the card is deactivated immediately and the turnstiles/fareboxes sync within 1 to 2 days. More importantly your replacement is ready the next day if you can go to the wageworks office to pick it up. 

I picked it up on the same day just 3 hours later. They had it ready when I got there. It's unfortunate that the deactivation isn't immediate. 😐

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, Abba said:

If you lose easy pay  express MetroCard can you pick one up somewhere next day?

I called HR, registered myself for a WeWorks account, sent in a replacement order, and went up to Bryant Park to pick it up immediately—all within 3 hours of losing it. Technically, I could have done it all within an hour had I not taken the time to contact HR.