Transportation in Co-op City

Shore El Express

Co-op City is the largest housing development in America, home to 50,000 residents in 42 buildings across 15,372 units of residence. The large, adjacent Bay Plaza mall is often considered part of the Co-op City area. It is one of the most major isolated locations in New York City. Deep in the Northeast Bronx, it is situated along the Hutchinson river and bounded by I-95 and the Hutch Parkway.  It was constructed in 1966-1973, and is cooperative housing for the "forgotten" working middle class. It is built on a Marshland, and 35 buildings range from 24 to 33 stories. It is spread out across five "sections', however, it is commonly known to be three different parts-

Dreiser in the North

Bartow in the Middle

And Section 5 in the Southeast, isolated by the Hutch

While many bus routes run to the large development, not one train directly serves it. The most common and fastest route is the 6 Train to Pelham Bay park, but once there one must exit and wait several minutes to crowd on a specific bus for another 15 or so minutes. The BXM7 Express Bus is the fastest, however it often gets caught in traffic along the Bruckner and Madison, and the fare price is ridiculous- $6.75 one way. Buses are the only way to get around. It is one of the most bus-dependent areas in the City. A subway extension of some sorts is a highly necessary item. However, there are many factors that need to be put into consideration when planning this new route.

Transit options in Co-op City (via refers to major street in co-op city)

BX5- Bay Plaza (Weekends only)-Longwood (via Bartow)

BX12- Bay Plaza (Nights only)- Inwood (via Bartow)

BX12 SBS- Bay Plaza- Inwood (Via Bartow)

BX23 Loop- Pelham Bay Station-Co-op city (via Sections 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1)

BX26- Bedford Park- Section Five ( viaSections 4-5)

BX28- Fordham- Section 5 (via sections 4-5)

BX30- Norwood- Section 5 (via bartow and baychester av)

BX38- Norwood- Bay Plaza (via Baychester av, co-op city Blvd)

Q50 LTD- Flushing- Section 5 (via sections 1-2-3-4-5)

BXM7- Express ($6.75, via dreiser, asch, section 5) Dreiser Loop- 23 St

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Newsflash: This is a New York City Transit Forum.

We don't need a history of Co-op City & a rundown of the current surface transit services in the area for the point to be made that there's no subway service there.....

Apparently we do. The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

2 hours ago, Shore El Express said:

Co-op City is the largest housing development in America, home to 50,000 residents in 42 buildings across 15,372 units of residence. The large, adjacent Bay Plaza mall is often considered part of the Co-op City area. It is one of the most major isolated locations in New York City. Deep in the Northeast Bronx, it is situated along the Hutchinson river and bounded by I-95 and the Hutch Parkway.  It was constructed in 1966-1973, and is cooperative housing for the "forgotten" working middle class. It is built on a Marshland, and 35 buildings range from 24 to 33 stories. It is spread out across five "sections', however, it is commonly known to be three different parts-

Dreiser in the North

Bartow in the Middle

And Section 5 in the Southeast, isolated by the Hutch

While many bus routes run to the large development, not one train directly serves it. The most common and fastest route is the 6 Train to Pelham Bay park, but once there one must exit and wait several minutes to crowd on a specific bus for another 15 or so minutes. The BXM7 Express Bus is the fastest, however it often gets caught in traffic along the Bruckner and Madison, and the fare price is ridiculous- $6.75 one way. Buses are the only way to get around. It is one of the most bus-dependent areas in the City. A subway extension of some sorts is a highly necessary item. However, there are many factors that need to be put into consideration when planning this new route.

Transit options in Co-op City (via refers to major street in co-op city)

BX5- Bay Plaza (Weekends only)-Longwood (via Bartow)

BX12- Bay Plaza (Nights only)- Inwood (via Bartow)

BX12 SBS- Bay Plaza- Inwood (Via Bartow)

BX23 Loop- Pelham Bay Station-Co-op city (via Sections 1-2-3-4-5 or 5-4-3-2-1)

BX26- Bedford Park- Section Five ( viaSections 4-5)

BX28- Fordham- Section 5 (via sections 4-5)

BX30- Norwood- Section 5 (via bartow and baychester av)

BX38- Norwood- Bay Plaza (via Baychester av, co-op city Blvd)

Q50 LTD- Flushing- Section 5 (via sections 1-2-3-4-5)

BXM7- Express ($6.75, via dreiser, asch, section 5) Dreiser Loop- 23 St

We get it. 😂. Thanks for the insight tho. Gladly appreciated. 

On 10/3/2019 at 7:27 AM, B35 via Church said:

Newsflash: This is a New York City Transit Forum.

We don't need a history of Co-op City & a rundown of the current surface transit services in the area for the point to be made that there's no subway service there.....

I think you'd be the adequate person to go to 2 Broadway & Lecture the Judy McCain lady who still has her head in her ass, by making insane service cuts on Important routes.

11 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’ll bite:

Why does Co-Op City need a Subway expansion when Dyre Av (5) and Baychester Av (5) are right there?

Well I used to think this as well, but neither Dyre nor Baychester Av actually have a bus that goes to Co-op City. Most that take the 5 go to Gun Hill Road to take the BX28 or BX38, but this actually takes longer then the most common route, 6 Train to Pelham Bay Park. And there, its incredibly crowded and wait times for buses take forever. At least what I saw.

5 hours ago, Shore El Express said:

Well I used to think this as well, but neither Dyre nor Baychester Av actually have a bus that goes to Co-op City. Most that take the 5 go to Gun Hill Road to take the BX28 or BX38, but this actually takes longer then the most common route, 6 Train to Pelham Bay Park. And there, its incredibly crowded and wait times for buses take forever. At least what I saw.

So then a possible solution would be a bendy bus to Baychester at least during peak times?

5 hours ago, Shore El Express said:

Neither has a direct route, but the Bx30 is in walking distance to both.

4 minutes ago, Shore El Express said:

This is true, but the Bx30 goes further north, and doesn't serve all of Co-op City.

The only portions that are at a remote disadvantage are the northern part of Section 3 (Bellamy Loop/Benchley Place), the southern portion of Bay Plaza (a mall), and the southwestern part of Section 5 (De Reimer and Palmer Avenues between Stillwell Avenue and Erskine Place). Even then, the Bx30 is a short walk away.

In other words, coverage isn't the issue.

21 hours ago, Deucey said:

I’ll bite:

Why does Co-Op City need a Subway expansion when Dyre Av (5) and Baychester Av (5) are right there?

Agree with the general point, however Baychester (5) does nothing for Co-op residents (even though it's physically proximate).... The thruway barricades it from all of of Co-op.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

So then a possible solution would be a bendy bus to Baychester at least during peak times?

No point; Bx28/38 to Gun Hill (5) suffices.

On 10/4/2019 at 8:47 PM, WestFarms36 said:

I think you'd be the adequate person to go to 2 Broadway & Lecture the Judy McCain lady who still has her head in her ass, by making insane service cuts on Important routes.

I suppose this is a compliment... Thanks.

But more importantly, as much as I would like to get on a soapbox & defend the riding public (bus or train) as only I can to these out-of-touch numbnuts, I just don't have the patience anymore to try to instill common sense into the minds of the vapid & obtuse.... It's a helpless feeling going in, knowing that an entity is going to do what it wants at the end of the day anyway.....

On 10/5/2019 at 6:13 PM, Shore El Express said:

Well that didn’t go as planned.

Anyway, the point was more about Co-op City Transit in general, not a subway extension. My bad

Yeah, but reading your comments in this thread, it's really coming across as if you're vying for a subway extension into Co-Op....

In theory, yeah, sure - Wouldn't hurt to have a subway station out there.... However, in actuality, where are you physically putting a subway station in Co-Op? And in what manner?

Judging from a Satellite view of Co-Op City, If the Baychester (5) Station were to be effective to Co-Op Residents in any way, some adjustments would need to be made at/or along  the New England Highway. Even then, I'm not sure if changing that part of the Highway into a Boulevard is even worth it since Co-Op city seems like its been shut off from the rest of the Bronx to me. I could be wrong though. 

3 hours ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Judging from a Satellite view of Co-Op City, If the Baychester (5) Station were to be effective to Co-Op Residents in any way, some adjustments would need to be made at/or along  the New England Highway. Even then, I'm not sure if changing that part of the Highway into a Boulevard is even worth it since Co-Op city seems like its been shut off from the rest of the Bronx to me. I could be wrong though. 

There's also the issue of requiring federal approval for that change (Interstate designations are different beasts from other highway designations). Considering which Interstate it is (95, which only recently got rid of a gap between New Jersey and Pennsylvania), don't hold your breath.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:24 AM, Lex said:

There's also the issue of requiring federal approval for that change (Interstate designations are different beasts from other highway designations). Considering which Interstate it is (95, which only recently got rid of a gap between New Jersey and Pennsylvania), don't hold your breath.

There is a “thing” going on to remove I-81 in Syracuse; and then The Sheridan in the Bx.

Not that hard, relatively speaking, to do.

57 minutes ago, Deucey said:

There is a “thing” going on to remove I-81 in Syracuse; and then The Sheridan in the Bx.

Much of no one was using 895 (the fact that it was a stub didn't help). As for 81, that coincides with the bigger plan to do something about it in Syracuse, as the highway hasn't exactly been in good shape for a number of years. In addition, it doesn't hold nearly as much importance.

5 hours ago, Deucey said:

The Sheridan Expressway is more or less useless due to the existence of I-87, and I-81 has an alternative in Syracuse (although I disagree with its removal).

Neither of those applies to I-95, which is a major commercial route at the section next to Co-Op City. Something that's much less insane than suggesting its removal, is building a bridge over it (or bridging it over a new connecting road). Just from a cursory glance, it looks like there's a decent amount of space around Donizetti Place. 

3 hours ago, P3F said:

The Sheridan Expressway is more or less useless due to the existence of I-87, and I-81 has an alternative in Syracuse (although I disagree with its removal).

Neither of those applies to I-95, which is a major commercial route at the section next to Co-Op City. Something that's much less insane than suggesting its removal, is building a bridge over it (or bridging it over a new connecting road). Just from a cursory glance, it looks like there's a decent amount of space around Donizetti Place. 

The point is that removing a highway isn’t insurmountable. Aside the aforementioned, the BQE is a major commuter and commercial route and there’s serious discussion of removing the two level viaduct to make a park in Bk - advocated for by several people here, in fact.

Notwithstanding 95 being “Main Street” of the eastern seaboard, the damned thing was just completed almost 60 years after it was commissioned and built, and still doesn’t go into DC save that 1/2 mile before the bridge to VA. So let’s not act like the current Thruway couldn’t be torn up and rerouted onto an Interstate Standard-compliant Hutch River Pkwy.

9 minutes ago, Deucey said:

So let’s not act like the current Thruway couldn’t be torn up and rerouted onto an Interstate Standard-compliant Hutch River Pkwy.

You're not really familiar with that portion of the highway, are you?

48 minutes ago, Deucey said:

The point is that removing a highway isn’t insurmountable. Aside the aforementioned, the BQE is a major commuter and commercial route and there’s serious discussion of removing the two level viaduct to make a park in Bk - advocated for by several people here, in fact.

Not everything supported by users here is actually a good idea. Being the NYC Transit Forums, there are many individuals here who are incredibly knowledgeable about the subway and bus systems. But, from paying attention to certain users' posts, it appears knowledge of driving and road design aren't really their forté.

Notwithstanding 95 being “Main Street” of the eastern seaboard, the damned thing was just completed almost 60 years after it was commissioned and built, and still doesn’t go into DC save that 1/2 mile before the bridge to VA.

Okay? I-95 was completed in New York in 1957, so I'd say it's fairly cemented by now. And DC is a bit too far away to be part of a discussion about a 2.5 mile stretch of the highway in The Bronx.

So let’s not act like the current Thruway couldn’t be torn up and rerouted onto an Interstate Standard-compliant Hutch River Pkwy.

Fun fact: The Hutchinson Parkway has a functioning drawbridge over the Hutchinson River, which I suspect is at least slightly not in adherence with Interstate standards. By the time you're done replacing that bridge, and upgrading the rest of everything to the standards (which would be quite a lot of work), you'll wish you had just built the two bridges for I-95 just north of Exit 12 instead.

Edited by P3F

On 10/6/2019 at 9:11 PM, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Like the Sheridan thru Hunts Point?

Not gonna work. The New England Thruway is a major interstate highway that gets clogged at all hours with not just cars but all kinds of tractor-trailers and interstate buses making their way up and down the northeastern United States.

The Sheridan Expressway (in the process of being converted to a boulevard) is only vital for Hunts Point Market deliveries and the BxM6/10/11 (a much smaller and more localized market compared to I-95 traffic.)

I mean, if they really wanted to maybe they *could* merge I-95 into the Hutch between Co-op City and the county line, but upgrading the Hutch to federal standards along with adding new lanes to handle the combined traffic would be a hard sell, and we can’t forget about that draw bridge along the Hutch that present day I-95 does not have.

Edited by paulrivera