Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
GojiMet86

Last week, Byford resigned from MTA. He’s now reconsidered

Recommended Posts

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2019/10/18/sources-last-week-byford-resigned-from-mta-hes-now-reconsidering-1225679


 

Quote

 

Sources: Last week, Byford resigned from MTA. He’s now reconsidered.

By DANA RUBINSTEIN

 

10/18/2019 12:22 PM EDT

 

Andy Byford, the widely lauded New York City subways chief, resigned last week, multiple sources told POLITICO on Thursday. He's now reconsidering.

Since he sent his resignation letter to Ronnie Hakim, managing director of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, officials have been trying to talk him back from the ledge. They appear to have had some success, though as of Friday morning, Byford had yet to officially rescind the letter.

"I'm not going anywhere and I remain laser focused on improving day-to-day service for millions of New Yorkers and delivering a transformed transit network," Byford said in a statement provided by the MTA. "The historic $51 billion capital plan provides a golden opportunity to further transform the subway and bus network — with unprecedented investments in accessibility — and my team and I are totally focused on achieving that. The Governor and I are on exactly the same page about the need to dramatically improve the transit system in New York and we now have the plan and the funding to do that."

The reasons Byford elucidated for resigning were basically twofold, according to one source: He’s tired of having to help organize gubernatorial-driven conferences about signaling and technology, which distract him from his job of improving subway and bus service, and he’s disinclined to preside over possible service cuts or layoffs.

The MTA is considering reducing the size of its workforce and cutting service on one of Brooklyn's busiest bus lines, even as Gov. Andrew Cuomo is also imposing new operational costs on the MTA in the form of 500 new cops.

A spokesperson for the governor had no immediate comment.

Byford’s shot across the bow comes even as Cuomo has made an effort in recent months to paper over his differences with the subway chief, whom he had a hand in hiring. The governor has recently adopted a warmer tone — in public and in private — when mentioning Byford, leading to talk of a rapprochement, as POLITICO reported in September.

“Byford leaving would be a huge loss for New Yorkers,” said Nick Sifuentes, executive director of the Tri-State Transportation Campaign. “If Byford leaves, it’s hard to imagine who would want to fill that role that would be able to do it anywhere near as well as him.”

 

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope Andy Byford stays. It is remarkable what he’s actually accomplished so far. The trains do feel they move better now than they did in 2016-18. Though I can understand if he does leave. Who would want to preside over cutting service? And Cuomo being a bossy little prick is really not helpful at all. Not for Byford and not for his potential successor.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deucey headline: “Byford: UP YOURS MATE! Cuomo: Please Baby Baby Baby Please!!!!”

  • LMAO! 9
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well when we think about the Nazi Party Leader Adolf Hitler Andrew Cuomo it becomes very clear that this guy won't let people in the field exercise their profession without having to f*ck something up. Honestly I am glad that he has reconsidered to stay because he has dramatically Improved the Subway System since he first began, he has an excellent Blueprint for success, and has embarked on multiple Bus Network redesigns, and has pushed for many things that is a huge plus for us. Having Andy Byford go would be a disastrous occurrence, and honestly we cannot afford to loose such a talented Transit Individual like him.

  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

Well when we think about the Nazi Party Leader Adolf Hitler Andrew Cuomo it becomes very clear that this guy won't let people in the field exercise their profession without having to f*ck something up. Honestly I am glad that he has reconsidered to stay because he has dramatically Improved the Subway System since he first began, he has an excellent Blueprint for success, and has embarked on multiple Bus Network redesigns, and has pushed for many things that is a huge plus for us. Having Andy Byford go would be a disastrous occurrence, and honestly we cannot afford to loose such a talented Transit Individual like him.

If only NY followed the West Coast version of technocratic government instead of this big boss egoistic “I’m your savior” style that gets nothing done...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Deucey said:

If only NY followed the West Coast version of technocratic government instead of this big boss egoistic “I’m your savior” style that gets nothing done...

That's how Queens (Cuomo and Trump) and Long Island Natives (Michael Lohan, Run DMC, and Eddie Murphy) roll outside of the NY Metro area. Mineola has a statue of Teddy Roosevelt outside it's offices because he used to live in Oyster Bay

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I really hope Andy Byford stays. It is remarkable what he’s actually accomplished so far. The trains do feel they move better now than they did in 2016-18. Though I can understand if he does leave. Who would want to preside over cutting service? And Cuomo being a bossy little prick is really not helpful at all. Not for Byford and not for his potential successor.

I hope his potential successor is any of you guys on here (i.e, you, RR503, R68onBroadway, LaGuardia Link N Train, etc).

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were him, I would have gone running to London where coincidentally the job of Transport for London commissioner just opened up this week. The current head, Mike Brown will be leaving in May to head the renovations of Parliament.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

If I were him, I would have gone running to London where coincidentally the job of Transport for London commissioner just opened up this week. The current head, Mike Brown will be leaving in May to head the renovations of Parliament.

Even with the Tories in charge (because Corbyn is Britain’s William Jennings Bryan), TfL has to be a better gig than (MTA).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Deucey said:

If only NY followed the West Coast version of technocratic government instead of this big boss egoistic “I’m your savior” style that gets nothing done...

It ain't all roses on the west coast. Dumb property tax laws/referendums will do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deucey said:

Even with the Tories in charge (because Corbyn is Britain’s William Jennings Bryan), TfL has to be a better gig than (MTA).

 

TfL is run by the Mayor of London, which is Labour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a side note, the guy who had all of London's articulated buses replaced by his own failure-prone Borismasters is now PM. Gotta love that political interference.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

It ain't all roses on the west coast. Dumb property tax laws/referendums will do that.

Don’t get me started on Prop 13...

4 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

TfL is run by the Mayor of London, which is Labour.

But that 23% parliamentary funding though. 
 

George Osborne was an ass in 2015. But Crossrail’s almost done, so 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by Deucey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 9:46 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

The NY post has confirmed that he is staying. 

When did Vogue start writing for the NY Post?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

honestly Cuomo and the MTA should be lucky Byford is reconsidering and giving them a second chance. he's been hassled and bossed around far too much by our "glorious" governor that if we had anyone else besides him in the position, they definitely would've resigned without a single question asked. thankfully Byford is smart enough to not fall into the atmosphere of intense pressure...

Also this a second chance for the governor and MTA to get their acts together and let Byford do his job...assuming they actually do learn this time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

f**k NO!!!! Smh! I Wish Cuomo should be f**king Impeached/Removed or Voted out of Office either in a Primary or a Election in 2022. This is a Fatal Blow to the MTA and NYC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, NY1635 said:

That's how Queens (Cuomo and Trump) and Long Island Natives (Michael Lohan, Run DMC, and Eddie Murphy) roll outside of the NY Metro area. Mineola has a statue of Teddy Roosevelt outside it's offices because he used to live in Oyster Bay

f**k these Rich Pricks, This is why we need Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren for President, Cynthia Nixon for Governor and Scott Stringer for Mayor to Fix this Mess that these Rich Conservative Pigs that Ruined and f**king it up.

Cuomo is a Closeted Republican.

Keep in mind that +50% Long Island had voted for Trump in 2016.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, subwayfan1998 said:

Cuomo is a Closeted Republican

Most centrists are.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

f**k these Rich Pricks, This is why we need Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren for President, Cynthia Nixon for Governor and Scott Stringer for Mayor to Fix this Mess that these Rich Pigs that Ruined and f**king it up.

Cuomo is a Closeted Republican.

Keep in mind that +50% Long Island had voted for Trump in 2016.

Long Island voted for Trump because they hate NYC. Including Nassau/Suffolk Democrats. Cuomo and Count Executive Curran bond over their mutual hatred of Deblasio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2019 at 5:52 PM, Deucey said:

Most centrists are.

I'm Actually a Centrist, but a True Centrist democrat should not appeal to the Republicans what they should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 10:22 AM, NY1635 said:

Long Island voted for Trump because they hate NYC. Including Nassau/Suffolk Democrats. Cuomo and Count Executive Curran bond over their mutual hatred of Deblasio

I Don't like DeBlasio either, he is just as bad as Trump and Cuomo. Even Left-Wing Democrats and Liberals despise DeBlasio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

I'm Actually a Centrist, but a True Centrist democrat should not appeal to the Republicans what they should do.

Keep telling yourself both of these lies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2019 at 6:03 PM, Deucey said:

Keep telling yourself both of these lies.

Time has managed to obscure many party labels. Nelson Rockefeller (R), Jacob Javits (R), Al D'Amato (R), Rudy G (R), Andrew Cuomo (D), RFK (D), JV Lindsay (R), Mario Cuomo (D), Michael Bloomberg (R), local politicians, and nationally LBJ (D), and RM Nixon (R). Look carefully at the party labels and add Barack Obama, Liz Warren, Joe Biden, and GW Bush to the list. I don't think many younger posters would put those names into the same categories that an older person such as myself would. Of those names who is considered centrist, liberal or conservative today compared to their heyday ?  I will honestly say that if I happened across a crime scene involving any of those folks I would cooperate with the PD to some degree. If I came across the same scene today and any local or national ( R ) was involved I wouldn't lend a hand if I witnessed the crime, saw the getaway car, and memorized the license plate. I wouldn't even report the crime if I was the only witness. Just my opinion though. Carry on.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.