N16J?

Hound

The n16j is a college shuttle funded by Nassau Community College to get people from Jamaica over to the campus. It's merely a test run to see if it would be feasible, just like the Port Washington Shuttle, and the now defunct NICE Link service.

2 hours ago, Axis said:

Since NICE Link has been silently killed off, is there like any plan for that part of Nassau County, bus-wise?

It was killed off because it didn't garner any riders. That area just wants the n45, n50, and n51 back even though they were eliminated due to low ridership and low funding.

The n50 and n51 have a better shot at being revived thanks to demands for bus service on Merrick Avenue, and Newbridge Road south of the Hempstead Turnpike respectively.  MSK at the Coliseum could also boost ridership on the n51 far more than RXR Plaza ever did. 

I still say the n45 should remain dead because the n43 pretty much gets everyone on Uniondale Avenue, and NICE would rather extend it to Bellmore via Babylon Turnpike than bring the route back. 

15 hours ago, NY1635 said:

It was killed off because it didn't garner any riders. That area just wants the n45, n50, and n51 back even though they were eliminated due to low ridership and low funding.

The n50 and n51 have a better shot at being revived thanks to demands for bus service on Merrick Avenue, and Newbridge Road south of the Hempstead Turnpike respectively.  MSK at the Coliseum could also boost ridership on the n51 far more than RXR Plaza ever did. 

I still say the n45 should remain dead because the n43 pretty much gets everyone on Uniondale Avenue, and NICE would rather extend it to Bellmore via Babylon Turnpike than bring the route back. 

n51 has VERY low ridership along Merrick Ave when it was killed off. It was mostly used to supplement NCC service. I don't see that coming back.

n45 also has VERY low ridership along its unique portion in Bellmore (Camp Av, etc). Uniondale Ave is now served by the more frequent n43, so I don't see that coming back also.

n50 wasn't a bad route in terms of ridership but it was extremely indirect, It should've gone straight up Newbridge Rd. The only problem I see is that it duplicates the n49 on its northern leg.

I do want to see some form of n73/74 come back though. It wasn't the best performing bus, but it filled a gap in that area which has no service now

n16j..... I have yet to see the thing...

6 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

n51 has VERY low ridership along Merrick Ave when it was killed off. It was mostly used to supplement NCC service. I don't see that coming back.

n45 also has VERY low ridership along its unique portion in Bellmore (Camp Av, etc). Uniondale Ave is now served by the more frequent n43, so I don't see that coming back also.

n50 wasn't a bad route in terms of ridership but it was extremely indirect, It should've gone straight up Newbridge Rd. The only problem I see is that it duplicates the n49 on its northern leg.

I do want to see some form of n73/74 come back though. It wasn't the best performing bus, but it filled a gap in that area which has no service now

How is ridership on the old N37 leg of the current n35?

17 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

n16j..... I have yet to see the thing...

How is ridership on the old N37 leg of the current n35?

It gets decent ridership South of HTC along Grand Avenue in Baldwin.  The n37 leg of the route gets usage at the Shopping Centers, Baldwin Railroad Station and Merrick Road. South of Merrick is just used by people who want access to Baldwin Harbor, which is mainly residential. 

All NICE did was stop turning the n35 into a workhorse and let it supplement the n15/16 north of HTC. Riders at Roosevelt Field just prefer it over the other two because the n16 is very slow and non existent along Franklin/Hempstead Ave, and the n15's main focus is getting people in and out of Long Beach/Oceanside.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:38 AM, NY1635 said:

It gets decent ridership South of HTC along Grand Avenue in Baldwin.  The n37 leg of the route gets usage at the Shopping Centers, Baldwin Railroad Station and Merrick Road. South of Merrick is just used by people who want access to Baldwin Harbor, which is mainly residential. 

All NICE did was stop turning the n35 into a workhorse and let it supplement the n15/16 north of HTC. Riders at Roosevelt Field just prefer it over the other two because the n16 is very slow and non existent along Franklin/Hempstead Ave, and the n15's main focus is getting people in and out of Long Beach/Oceanside.

Back in the day when I took the bus to Roosevelt Field, the N35 was preferred because it was the quickest and most direct to/from HTC.

2nd Place was N15 (but that's because I was usually going to Old Country Road, [this is when the N15 always went to Old Country Rd])

Thanks.

This sentiment completely ignores the importance of the n35 in Westbury....

On 10/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, N6 Limited said:

Back in the day when I took the bus to Roosevelt Field, the N35 was preferred because it was the quickest and most direct to/from HTC.

2nd Place was N15 (but that's because I was usually going to Old Country Road, [this is when the N15 always went to Old Country Rd])

Maybe it's just timing, but just about every time I drive along and/or pass an n15 along Old Country (either direction), there's very few people on it.... I'd say about a handful or so.... Back in the N15 days, yeah, clearly that wasn't the case.... I never get to see how the n15's via Clinton perform though....

As for the n35, whenever I see an n35 along Stewart, it's always crushloaded.....

Edited by B35 via Church

On 10/25/2019 at 7:14 PM, B35 via Church said:

Maybe it's just timing, but just about every time I drive along and/or pass an n15 along Old Country (either direction), there's very few people on it.... I'd say about a handful or so.... Back in the N15 days, yeah, clearly that wasn't the case.... I never get to see how the n15's via Clinton perform though....

As for the n35, whenever I see an n35 along Stewart, it's always crushloaded.....

I think they deterred riders from using the N15 because it only goes to Old Country Rd during Court hours, so riders use other means, Probably the N27 from HTC or N22/N24 from Roosevelt Field or Mineola/N40/41. 

Back then the N15 basically went non-stop from County Seat Drive to One Old Country Road. You had nursing students getting off there, and Clinton Rd for those going to the Country Glen Center and Petco, Red Lobster shopping centers. Then the rest got off on East Gate Blvd to go to Wendys/ Best buy /DMV etc. Same thing in reverse in the evening, especially as workers were going home from those places.

I haven't seen the N15 via Clinton Rd on weekdays (it always ran via Clinton Rd on Sundays), but I thought it might just as busy as the N35 because it runs in place of the N35 at times, but looking at the schedules it appears that they sometimes run in pairs or 5 mins a part along Clinton Rd although the N35 is on 30 min headway and the N15 is on 20 min headway.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:02 PM, N6 Limited said:

I think they deterred riders from using the N15 because it only goes to Old Country Rd during Court hours, so riders use other means, Probably the N27 from HTC or N22/N24 from Roosevelt Field or Mineola/N40/41. 

Back then the N15 basically went non-stop from County Seat Drive to One Old Country Road. You had nursing students getting off there, and Clinton Rd for those going to the Country Glen Center and Petco, Red Lobster shopping centers. Then the rest got off on East Gate Blvd to go to Wendys/ Best buy /DMV etc. Same thing in reverse in the evening, especially as workers were going home from those places.

I haven't seen the N15 via Clinton Rd on weekdays (it always ran via Clinton Rd on Sundays), but I thought it might just as busy as the N35 because it runs in place of the N35 at times, but looking at the schedules it appears that they sometimes run in pairs or 5 mins a part along Clinton Rd although the N35 is on 30 min headway and the N15 is on 20 min headway.

According to NICE's own statistics, the n15 averages 5000 riders daily and the n35 gets about 3000 riders. A lot of it has to do with service hours and since the n35 is mainly used by people shopping, it gets cut early. 

The n35 south of HTC used to end later, but it got cut for security reasons relating to Hempstead Transit Center. Now it's North of HTC that ends at 11pm.