NYCT - Bottlenecks Discussion Thread

LGA Link N Train

52 minutes ago, CenSin said:

I'm holding in between Neptune Avenue and West 8 Street right now. Yet the data shows that I'm already in the station. There's another (F) there.

This is exactly what I mean by elevated stops blending together. Because the system is beacon-based, near station ~ in station. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RR503 said:

This is exactly what I mean by elevated stops blending together. Because the system is beacon-based, near station ~ in station. 

It’s not just elevated stops. It’s characteristic of pretty much all the kinds of locations.

2 minutes ago, CenSin said:

It’s not just elevated stops. It’s characteristic of pretty much all the kinds of locations.

The effect is much less pronounced in tunnels -- there generally is registered a good bit of travel time between stations. Regardless, given the somewhat constant direction of the error, if you know how to weed it out of your calculations (using arrival-arrival or departure-departure metrics) you can circumvent issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

@RR503 Do you have any back-of-the-envelope estimate for the cost of rebuilding Astoria terminal?

If you happen to have the documentation of the 74 St switches project handy, that'd be a useful reference point. 

3 minutes ago, RR503 said:

If you happen to have the documentation of the 74 St switches project handy, that'd be a useful reference point. 

I will see if I can find anything about it. I know it was part of contract S-32716.

Edited by Union Tpke

Well, I made a default NYC Subway Map. I still have bottlenecks listed, but only within Merges, Terminal Op's, and Sharp Curves. I omitted Bottlenecks involving poor signaling and Dwell times from my new map because I don't have enough information on either of those categories: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10NdsBAa2i3EMzQrU87rxfcXDfsyPvNJL&usp=sharing

6 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I will see if I can find anything about it. I know it was part of contract S-32716.

There are no mentions of the project other than older editions of Peter Dougherty's book, someone's Linkedin page, and a few ERA Bulletins.

3 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Well, I made a default NYC Subway Map. I still have bottlenecks listed, but only within Merges, Terminal Op's, and Sharp Curves. I omitted Bottlenecks involving poor signaling and Dwell times from my new map because I don't have enough information on either of those categories: 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10NdsBAa2i3EMzQrU87rxfcXDfsyPvNJL&usp=sharing

I started a more comprehensive list of bottlenecks that I will share at some point.