OMNY Implementation/MetroCard Retirement Discussion Thread Bus Division

Lawrence St

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Question...OMNY cards can last 7 years...anyone know how much money you can add onto the card? Is there like a $500 limit now or still $99? Also, if you lose a OMNY card, is that money lost or can you just activate a new card and the money on file in your account gets synced to that one?

$600 cap on the OMNY. You can refill it and replace it online at OMNY.info. whenever you have less than $2.75 the card automatically becomes suspended.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

The 7/11 on 1st Avenue & E 87 Street has them, got mines from that location, and someone just recently got theirs today. Though I'd be quick, cuz they're selling out in the blink of an eye, which is another factor which has made it difficult to purchase on top of some locations not yet receiving their batch/updating their POS Systems to recognize the cards. The limit is $600 on the OMNY Card, you can add whatever you want in cash or card at a retail location, or reload it on the omny.info site with a credit/debit card. Apparently if you lose the OMNY Card, you can suspend it if you register it to your OMNY Account, and you can link a new OMNY Card in which you can use the balance frozen from a lost one.

7 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Don't even bother looking at these locations yet. Some 7/11's haven't been able to update their POS Systems to register the OMNY Cards, though the 7/11 on 1 Av & E 87 St is selling them, which is where I got mines from, as well as the 7/11 on 14 St & 2 Av (though they had 2 left when I last checked, so idk if they restocked), then there's a Speedway in Staten Island on Edgewater St & Willow Avenue that also has and is selling them. Since these cards are still being shipped, I don't expect there to be a list of retail locations until at least a few weeks from now. At the moment, it's just pure luck of walking into the right spot.

5 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

$600 cap on the OMNY. You can refill it and replace it online at OMNY.info. whenever you have less than $2.75 the card automatically becomes suspended.

Thank you everyone! I just picked up an OMNY card today around 9pm at the 7/11 on Hylan/Seaview in Staten Island. It was on the gift card rack and there was about 12 of them on the rack. Paid $6 total, $5 for the card and $1 for the minimum amount added. 

I already had an OMNY account for a few months ago just to have one. I logged on and linked both my OMNY card and the bank card. I see there in indeed a $600 LIMIT!! (though I'd only add about $250 max). My card was indeed suspended because I was below the $2.75 minimum at only $1 on the card. 

My card is ready to go! Now I just need to use up these metrocards and be done with those old beat up fareboxes. 

6 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

And when you add more than $2.75 on it, will the card be usable again (no longer suspended)?

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Thank you everyone! I just picked up an OMNY card today around 9pm at the 7/11 on Hylan/Seaview in Staten Island. It was on the gift card rack and there was about 12 of them on the rack. Paid $6 total, $5 for the card and $1 for the minimum amount added. 

I already had an OMNY account for a few months ago just to have one. I logged on and linked both my OMNY card and the bank card. I see there in indeed a $600 LIMIT!! (though I'd only add about $250 max). My card was indeed suspended because I was below the $2.75 minimum at only $1 on the card. 

My card is ready to go! Now I just need to use up these metrocards and be done with those old beat up fareboxes. 

That's cool. Did you pay with cash for it or is any payment method for purchasing the cards accepted?

Edited by JeremiahC99

8 hours ago, WestFarms36 said:

Don't even bother looking at these locations yet. Some 7/11's haven't been able to update their POS Systems to register the OMNY Cards, though the 7/11 on 1 Av & E 87 St is selling them, which is where I got mines from, as well as the 7/11 on 14 St & 2 Av (though they had 2 left when I last checked, so idk if they restocked), then there's a Speedway in Staten Island on Edgewater St & Willow Avenue that also has and is selling them. Since these cards are still being shipped, I don't expect there to be a list of retail locations until at least a few weeks from now. At the moment, it's just pure luck of walking into the right spot.

Someone I know got it from 29th & Lex. I may check there.

30 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

It's recommended that if you do get it from that CFSC, use cash. Apparently there's some fees you have to pay when you make low dollar amount transactions with card.

I'll have to remember to take out cash then when I go. I think $5.00 is enough and I am sick of having to have new contactless cards sent out because of the (MTA) 's incompetence.

10 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

And when you add more than $2.75 on it, will the card be usable again (no longer suspended)?

That's cool. Did you pay with cash for it or is any payment method for purchasing the cards accepted?

Yes, soon as the limit goes above $2.75, the card is automatically switched to "Active".

I paid debit when I bought it. The clerk scanned the barcode, I said "I wanna add a minimum $1". Then it prompts you to select the amount on the screen, then press yes. Then on your receipt it shows $5 for the card, plus any extra funds you add on the metrocard. So anyone looking to get an OMNY card has to spend a minimum $6 to buy one. You can pay cash/debit and probably credit. I just tapped the screen with Apple Pay (using my debit card on my phone), and it worked with no problem.

8 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Yes, soon as the limit goes above $2.75, the card is automatically switched to "Active".

I paid debit when I bought it. The clerk scanned the barcode, I said "I wanna add a minimum $1". Then it prompts you to select the amount on the screen, then press yes. Then on your receipt it shows $5 for the card, plus any extra funds you add on the metrocard. So anyone looking to get an OMNY card has to spend a minimum $6 to buy one. You can pay cash/debit and probably credit. I just tapped the screen with Apple Pay (using my debit card on my phone), and it worked with no problem.

Just got mine over at 7-Eleven at Utica Avenue and Avenue O. I can confirm that I paid for mine with a bank card and it went well with no problems. My receipt shows the same thing as you mentioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone notice the bus readers when it boots up.  Yesterday Oct 27,2021 The bus I was on the reader was looping like when you turn on the computer and there is a problem with the BIOS and it restart itself or Windows encounter an error and states press any key to continue and it can't load the OS and it loops back.  The bus reader indicates the firmware and the app version.  I took the picture but I don't know how to upload in the forum.  Anyway the firmware states its 1.15 and the app version is 3.4.16.b41 CUBIC Transport System Bus Validator.  Right now they don't display the balance on the readers and on the subway readers too.  I wonder when they can upgrade the firmware version so it can display the balance of your OMNY card, Credit Card, Debit card etc.

17 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Anyone who uses OMNY and needs to transfer at a non-OMNY bus,

Go to a MTA Bus stop and tap your phone on the reader and ask for a paper transfer, that way you don't have to pay for a metrocard.

What non-OMNY buses are you talking about since all (MTA) buses have OMNY. @mikecintel That info is not needed. You can check your balance online using your OMNY account, and if you use a debit or credit card, there wouldn't be a balance. There would only be a balance to check if you used an OMNY card. Better off not showing that, as it would hold up service.

24 minutes ago, mikecintel said:

I don't know if anyone notice the bus readers when it boots up.  Yesterday Oct 27,2021 The bus I was on the reader was looping like when you turn on the computer and there is a problem with the BIOS and it restart itself or Windows encounter an error and states press any key to continue and it can't load the OS and it loops back.  The bus reader indicates the firmware and the app version.  I took the picture but I don't know how to upload in the forum.  Anyway the firmware states its 1.15 and the app version is 3.4.16.b41 CUBIC Transport System Bus Validator.  Right now they don't display the balance on the readers and on the subway readers too.  I wonder when they can upgrade the firmware version so it can display the balance of your OMNY card, Credit Card, Debit card etc.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

29 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

I guess he's talking about Bee-Line and NICE...

In that case, it would just make sense to use a MetroCard then. Why go through that aggravation just to use OMNY for part of the trip? There is no guarantee that the driver will give you a paper transfer because they are going to say that you already have one, which is true, and the (MTA) makes it clear that for certain things like unlimited passes, senior fare, etc. unless there's an OMNY option out, you continue to use the MetroCard.

1 hour ago, paulrivera said:

I guess he's talking about Bee-Line and NICE...

I was talking about NICE.

42 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

In that case, it would just make sense to use a MetroCard then. Why go through that aggravation just to use OMNY for part of the trip? There is no guarantee that the driver will give you a paper transfer because they are going to say that you already have one, which is true, and the (MTA) makes it clear that for certain things like unlimited passes, senior fare, etc. unless there's an OMNY option out, you continue to use the MetroCard.

When your in a rush you don't have time to get a metrocard.

6 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

@mikecintel That info is not needed. You can check your balance online using your OMNY account, and if you use a debit or credit card, there wouldn't be a balance. There would only be a balance to check if you used an OMNY card. Better off not showing that, as it would hold up service.

Yes OK I see.  Just a thought.  Yes I don't intend to use the debit or credit card but just saying.  It would be better when they have the OMNY app and shows the current balance on your OMNY card.

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was talking about NICE.

When your in a rush you don't have time to get a metrocard.

Well as I said, there is no guarantee that drivers are going to give you a paper transfer, so that's not the best advice, and they definitely won't give one if you're transferring from an express bus.

16 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What non-OMNY buses are you talking about since all (MTA) buses have OMNY. @mikecintel That info is not needed. You can check your balance online using your OMNY account, and if you use a debit or credit card, there wouldn't be a balance. There would only be a balance to check if you used an OMNY card. Better off not showing that, as it would hold up service.

I asked in Facebook group Academy Bus Complains if SIM23/SIM24 has OMNY reader install and they say no.

He's talking about Bee-Line Bus and NICE Bus. Bee-Line Bus is planning to install on early 2022. https://transportation.westchestergov.com/omny

4 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

I asked in Facebook group Academy Bus Complains if SIM23/SIM24 has OMNY reader install and they say no.

He's talking about Bee-Line Bus and NICE Bus. Bee-Line Bus is planning to install on early 2022. https://transportation.westchestergov.com/omny

Academy will likely not have the SIM23 and SIM24 lines for much longer, so it wouldn't make sense for them to install the readers.

Some odd quirks I've experienced while using my OMNY card the other day(I had left my unlimited in my other jacket🙄).

14th Street (A)(C)(E) Station, the GO sign on the screen didn't light up, but I was able to go through the turnstile anyway.

28th Street (R)(W), paid the fare, and I checked my account and got a 50 cent credit, so I guess I only paid $2.25?  🤔 The transaction was white and the credit was in green.

Northbound M20, used a transfer that didn't register completely online. It initially showed a $2.75 deduction but I ended up getting a $2.75 credit back an hour later.

Gotta say though, my first full, unintentional day with an OMNY card with up to 9 trips used, it was sweet not having to swipe multiple times at turnstiles or fare gates lol.

Has anyone used it on the express bus? If so, do you still get the express bus to local bus/subway transfer? I'm close to making this my express bus card for now. I've been taking the X64 into and out of the city on some days as of late on some days.

Edited by Cait Sith

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Some odd quirks I've experienced while using my OMNY card the other day(I had left my unlimited in my other jacket🙄).

14th Street (A)(C)(E) Station, the GO sign on the screen didn't light up, but I was able to go through the turnstile anyway.

28th Street (R)(W), paid the fare, and I checked my account and got a 50 cent credit, so I guess I only paid $2.25?  🤔 The transaction was white and the credit was in green.

Northbound M20, used a transfer that didn't register completely online. It initially showed a $2.75 deduction but I ended up getting a $2.75 credit back an hour later.

Gotta say though, my first full, unintentional day with an OMNY card with up to 9 trips used, it was sweet not having to swipe multiple times at turnstiles or fare gates lol.

Has anyone used it on the express bus? If so, do you still get the express bus to local bus/subway transfer? I'm close to making this my express bus card for now. I've been taking the X64 into and out of the city on some days as of late on some days.

When I've used OMNY from Local Bus/Subway to Express Bus, I've been charged the $4 difference & when transferring from Express Bus to Local Bus/Subway, it's also reflected the transfer. I'm trying to experiment the walking transfer from Lex-59 to Lex-63 next.

10 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Yes you do. You also can do round trips via the express bus on one fare, so for example, I have taken the BxM2 in to run to Whole Foods, and taken the BxM1 back out and was only charged $6.75. I asked the (MTA) what the transfer time was and they claim it's just like the MetroCard... Two hours and 18 minutes. Some have said it seems longer than that. I'm also not sure yet if they have any restrictions in place in terms of transfers in terms of round trips on one fare. For example, trying to do a round trip is not possible via Metrocard with some Queens express buses.

@WestFarms36 Yeah, someone asked those out of system transfers. What I'm also waiting for is OMNY to be available on the Hudson Raillink shuttle buses. You get a free transfer with that too, so if say you took a subway or local bus to Metro-North, you'd have a free transfer to the Hudson Raillink, but right now that is still only taking MetroCards.

• 3 weeks later...