New Flyer XD60 Delivery And Discussion Thread

davemackey

26 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

One of the New Flyers is receiving a new transmission and/or trailer. They aint even that old yet to be breaking down 🤣

Also, has anyone else noticed that some Xcelsiors are better built then others?

here's the answer

What is the importance of burn in testing?

Burn-in tests allow detecting problem trends so as to prevent usage of reliability-critical components. Burn-in is the backbone of parts screening, the major vehicle to eliminate defective parts at the early phase of the product life and to ensure product reliability.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Suydam Street said:

here's the answer

Burn-in tests allow detecting problem trends so as to prevent usage of reliability-critical components. Burn-in is the backbone of parts screening, the major vehicle to eliminate defective parts at the early phase of the product life and to ensure product reliability.

Thats not what I was talking about. New Flyer tends to have quality issues with buses depending on what day of the week their manufactured and/or what facility they come from.

4 hours ago, Suydam Street said:

here's the answer

Preventative maintenance, in a nutshell

On 12/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, Lawrence St said:

One of the New Flyers is receiving a new transmission and/or trailer. They aint even that old yet to be breaking down 🤣

Also, has anyone else noticed that some Xcelsiors are better built then others?

It was neither of that.....the transmission was fine, and if they needed a new trailer end, they'd have to return that bus, not do it in-house...

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

I'm just reading what I see off the NJT FB group.

A lot of us are in that group. Don't take what's being said there seriously.

Also, it was getting a new rear end differential, big difference to what you interpreted.

Edited by Cait Sith

On 12/6/2020 at 10:22 PM, Cait Sith said:

A lot of us are in that group. Don't take what's being said there seriously.

Also, it was getting a new rear end differential, big difference to what you interpreted.

If you don’t know what a rear differential is don’t speak lol. It amazes me the information I see posted. 

NJT buses go through rear differentials quick. Like with the MCIS, the rear bellows have a 18mo life span but 319 Lav buses and Wayne buses are cut in 1/2 because of the terrain Wayne travels and the heavy usage on the 319 lavs. 

What I will say the last quality built MCIS was the CNGS and Hybrids. Everything after has been nothing but problematic. These new flyers they will have issues especially with alternator belts, power issues. Njt tends to over-govern there buses at CMF. Cummins can’t take that. 

On 12/3/2020 at 10:58 PM, Suydam Street said:

here's the answer

We don’t burn-in new buses. That’s what 20801 was for to find any issues. Production models after that already had necessary issues fixed but the problem with mass production no one bus is created equal.

16001 demo for 17000s

16002 will never see passenger service 

16003 demo for 18000s/19000s

17185 demo for Cummins x12 buses 19150s on up.

4009 demo for 4008, 4010-4044

7501-7503(102-DW3SS) demos for 40ft mcis

8200 demo for 45ft mcis

7278 demo for 45ft Cngs 

No production model buses will burn-in they come and go straight into service. Whatever issue is found then the bus is sent to cmf or Cummins or mci comes to the garage.

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, davemackey said:

20846 and 20848 running 159 which I believe is a Fairview route. Guess with Meadowlands getting the last batch of artics, they can start giving 20845-20849 back to Fairview.

It's tough to tell. Meadowlands got some pieces of the 156/158/159 recently, so those buses may not have left there just yet.

Edited by DaTransitMan4608

4 hours ago, davemackey said:

20846 and 20848 running 159 which I believe is a Fairview route. Guess with Meadowlands getting the last batch of artics, they can start giving 20845-20849 back to Fairview.

Without 20845-20849, is the current in-service roster for Fairview so far 20850-20879? 

On 12/31/2020 at 1:43 PM, davemackey said:

Lately Meadowlands has been helping Fairview with those Routes...And i seen 20846 on the 126 just the other day....This covid has a lot of garages short on driver where as any garage might pop up on any Route...Last week i saw 5436 working the 87 out of market st....Go figure...Lol