Fantastic atmosphere on the late night trains!

I love NY

The last August I have been in the most important city in the world and I could see that it is truly the CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS. The more beatiful thing was seeing the late night crowd in the subway. In fact, I took the N train at 1.58AM in a normal weekday at 23rd Station on the Broadway and at 2.14AM, after the last Manhattan station (Lexington Avenue/59 Street), my car (it was a R68 car with 70 seats...) was standing room only, with some peolple standing !!! And the train had other 7 cars.... And, when I am arrived at my station (Queensboro Plaza station) at 2.17AM, there many persons which waiting the train.

In another normal weekday, I took the 7 train at Times Square at 2.53Am and in my car (it was a R188 with about 20 comfortable seats or max 28 total seats) we were about 20 persons  and after the last Manhattan station (Grand Central station) and before of the first Queens station (Vernon BLVD/ Jackson Avenue) at 3.00AM I have seen that also in the contiguous car there were about 20 seated persons. Now, I don't know how many people there were in the other 9 cars, but surely on that train there more than 120, 130 persons.... And also this time, at Queensboro Plaza station (at 3.07AM), there many persons which waiting the trains on the both level (even in Manhattan direction)!

P.S. In my total NYC subway experience, the trains were right on time.

Edited by I love NY

22 hours ago, I love NY said:

The last August I have been in the most important city in the world and I could see that it is truly the CITY THAT NEVER SLEEPS. The more beatiful thing was seeing the late night crowd in the subway. In fact, I took the N train at 1.58AM in a normal weekday at 23rd Station on the Broadway and at 2.14AM, after the last Manhattan station (Lexington Avenue/59 Street), my car (it was a R68 car with 70 seats...) was standing room only, with some peolple standing !!! And the train had other 7 cars.... And, when I am arrived at my station (Queensboro Plaza station) at 2.17AM, there were many persons which waited the train.

In another normal weekday, I took the 7 train at Times Square at 2.53Am and in my car (it was a R188 with about 20 comfortable seats or max 28 total seats) we were about 20 persons  and after the last Manhattan station (Grand Central station) and before of the first Queens station (Vernon BLVD/ Jackson Avenue) at 3.00AM I have seen that also in the contiguous car there were about 20 seated persons. Now, I don't know how many people there were in the other 9 cars, but surely on that train there more than 120, 130 persons.... And also this time, at Queensboro Plaza station (at 3.07AM), there were many persons which waited the trains on the both levels (even in Manhattan direction)!

P.S. In my total NYC subway experience, the trains were right on time.

Edited by I love NY
There is some small correction compared to the same article of 22 hours ago

Yep, the trains stay crowded all night, especially as the headways decrease (everybody clumps into one train). You only really see a decrease when you're in the terminal borough of a train – for instance, a southbound (1) train below the transfers at 14 and 42 is guaranteed to be almost empty at night, slight exception for SI ferry customers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, trainfan22 said:

An 68 (N) train in service at 2AM!? I would imagine an 68 N train running in service during the overnight hours is pretty rare these days.

That’s when the new Dispatchers drop the ball or certain train operators don’t want that late clear to lay up the SMEE equipment.