Are any of these traains slower than the others? B, D, N or Q?

Railfan123

B & D are the slowest I would imagine because the 160s have an easier time climbing the bridge than the 68s do... 160s certainty accelerate faster on level track so 160s run up the bridge's incline better.

Are the timers the same on both sides of the Bridge? That's one thing to consider as well.

They all are. But you can chalk that up to the bridge’s poor design, timers, the inclines on the Manhattan side and, of course, the poorly managed DeKalb/Gold St junction, where (B)(D) and (N)(Q) trains just can’t seem to get out of each other’s way.

Edited by T to Dyre Avenue

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 9:44 AM, T to Dyre Avenue said:

The poorly managed DeKalb/Gold St junction, where (B)(D) and (N)(Q) trains just can’t seem to get out of each other’s way.

I wish they could just demolish and redesign the whole junction so that trains wouldn't interfere with each other so much. Just looking at it makes my brain hurt.

1k9_O3OQPNrymYpbYP4ChHwE1VDZjhM5Pv1QxvgW

On 12/12/2019 at 6:31 PM, TrainRider Railfan said:

I wish they could just demolish and redesign the whole junction so that trains wouldn't interfere with each other so much. Just looking at it makes my brain hurt.

1k9_O3OQPNrymYpbYP4ChHwE1VDZjhM5Pv1QxvgW

One of the problems is they hold trains there for a minute or 2 when according to subwaytime it’s not necessary at all!  If they must they should ask the train operator who they are BEFORE they get to the homeball so as not to delay the train. This also  happened a lot on the (D) and (N) by 36th st when they were doing the work on the express tracks especally southbound There was one time where a (D) was stopped for maybe 3 min before . Is that really necessary when it didn’t even have to merge with the (R) ??  This seems like it’s not as much of an issue on the number lines however on Saturday night  on the  and (1) we sat for about 2 minutes south of 145 with a (3) . Neither train moved and then it was decided that (1) should go thank g-d. But these things can be easily avoided with better dispatch.

Edited by Abba

On 12/13/2019 at 4:37 PM, NY1635 said:

Easily the (B) and (D). The (Q) is just very infrequent due to all the delays in my experience. It's just a lot of waiting at 63rd and 72nd Streets for me to get to my job at MSK.

I’d be completely in favor of de-interlining to make DeKalb less shitty a junction so that (B)(D) ran down Brighton and (N)(Q) down 4th Av if it weren’t for the fact the only 6 Av-Broadway Express Lines useful transfer would be 34th St - since Barclays is a very long walk.

I think that’s why it hasn’t been done yet.

4 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

An infill station by MetroTech would be one way to solve that issue. But it would be a long, intrusive and super-expensive process to build a dual-island platform station that would allow cross-platform transfers between (B)(D) and (N)(Q)

I wonder if this would be easier and more beneficial longer term:

FYI I dunno track numbers
At DeKalb, reconfigure the following way:

(D)(N) bypass express track? Link it to 4th Av Local & Montague Tunnel tracks and have (R) bypass DeKalb

Current (R) track? Connect to 4th Av Express track and MB Southern tracks

Current (B)(Q) track? Leave as is; Connect to MB Northern tracks.

That way, if deinterlining is done, there’s no crossovers or waiting unless there’s a reroute where 6 Av trains run on B-way or vice versa.

But what would it cost?