What's Faster? - The Game

Lawrence St

A little game I created to test our transit knowledge to see what train is faster from Point A to Point B. The rules are; one person has to go at a time and include the two routes of their choice from Point A to Point B, and during what rush period you want (i.e AM, PM, weekends), I'll start off first;

What's Faster from 96th St to 14th St-Union Square?

The (6), or the (Q)?

GO!

Edited by Lawrence St

I get the point of the game, but you should've added a stipulation (like, during the AM rush only, PM rush only, weekends only, etc) to make the game a little more interesting....

Without running to the timetables & solely going off my own experiences, I still have to say the (Q)....

-------------------------------

IDK, What's faster from 34th st - Herald Sq. to Stillwell av, the (D) or the (Q) ?

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I get the point of the game, but you should've added a stipulation (like, during the AM rush only, PM rush only, weekends only, etc) to make the game a little more interesting....

Without running to the timetables & solely going off my own experiences, I still have to say the (Q)....

IDK, What's faster from 34th st - Herald Sq. to Stillwell av, the (D) or the (Q) ?

Alright I'll add that in, thanks for the suggestion.

30 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I believe the D is the fastest but I could be wrong lol

On 11/25/2019 at 11:30 PM, R68OnBroadway said:

In order of increasing time from 34th to CI, it goes (N)(D)(Q)(F) , right?

1. <F>: 47 minutes
    • most speed gained from the relatively straight alignment, gentle curves, and skipped stations from Church Avenue to Jay Street–MetroTech
    • most speed lost from the numerous station stops south of Church Avenue and north of Jay Street–MetroTech
  2. (N): 48~49 minutes
    • most speed gained from the relatively gentle curves and skipped station from 59 Street to 34 Street–Herald Square
    • most speed lost from the crooked alignment and numerous tight turns from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to DeKalb Avenue
  3. (Q): 51~52 minutes
    • most speed gained from the relatively straight alignment, gentle curves, and skipped stations in Manhattan
    • most speed lost from the numerous station stops and the numerous tight turns from Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center to DeKalb Avenue
  4. (D): 52~53 minutes
    • most speed gained from the express run between Brooklyn and Manhattan
    • most speed lost from the numerous station stops, crooked alignment, and curves in Brooklyn
  5. (F): 54 minutes
    • most speed gained from the relatively straight alignment and gentle curves
    • most speed lost from the numerous station stops—especially the busy ones

As you can see, they are all pretty tight. The maximum difference here is only 7 minutes between… the (F) and <F>. Much of the difference could be eaten up by passengers blocking doors, poor conditions on the road, or by unskilled crew members. (Example: The <F> has taken 53 minutes despite optimal conditions along the road and no passengers blocking the doors!)

When there are problems, decisions about which trains to take depends on the problem area, which I taxonomize thusly:

• 6 Avenue local/Culver:
    • between Bergen Street and Avenue X: take the (N), (Q), (D), (B)(Q), or (F)/<F> (in that order of priority).
    • south of Neptune Avenue or north of Bergen Street: do not take the (F)/<F>.
    • along Queens Boulevard involving rerouted trains: avoid the (F)/<F> and maybe the (N).
  • Manhattan Bridge:
    • Astoria: avoid the (N) and maybe the (Q).
    • 2 Avenue: avoid the (Q) and maybe the (B)(Q).
    • Broadway:
      • between 57 Street–7 Avenue and DeKalb Avenue: take the (F)/<F>, (D), or (B)(Q) (in that order of priority).
      • between Canal Street and Jay Street–MetroTech: avoid the (N) and (Q).
    • 6 Avenue express: take the (N), (Q), (F) (in that order of priority).
    • DeKalb Avenue: take the (F)/<F>.
    • Brighton:
      • north of Parkside Avenue: take the (F)/<F>, (D), or (N) (in that order of priority).
      • Brighton express: take the (F)/<F>, (N), (D), or (Q) (in that order of priority).
      • Brighton local: take the (F)/<F>, (D), (N), (B)(Q) (in that order of priority).
      • south of Ocean Parkway: do not take the (B)(Q) and (Q).
    • 4 Avenue:
      • between Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center and 9 Avenue: avoid the (D) and (N).
      • between 9 Avenue and Bay 50 Street: avoid the (D).
      • between Bay 50 Street and Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue: do not take the (D) and maybe avoid the (N).
      • between 59 Street and 8 Avenue: avoid the (N).
      • between 86 Street and Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue: do not take the (N) and maybe avoid the (D).

There are a few compelling reasons to follow the above guidelines:

1. Problems on the (F)<F> are usually isolated from the (D)(N)(Q) and vice versa.
  2. Problems in either borough’s trunks tend to spill over into the other borough depending on the duration, how long ago the problem occurred, and where it happened. A problem initially confined to Brighton local may quickly spread to engulf all Manhattan Bridge services, leaving only the (F)/<F> unaffected.
  3. When problems along the 4-track trunks arise, trains are usually diverted, causing delays for the entire trunk due to cramming more service along less tracks.
    • An exception may be the (F) along Culver, whose diversion usually results in same or faster service as the express tracks are presently underutilized.
    • Even if a reroute around the problem is imminent, chaos from passenger confusion will guarantee delays. It’s wise not to assume that a local-to-express diversion will result in a faster commute.

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

What’s faster from Jamaica to Far Rockaway?

Q113/114 or (J)(Z) to (A)?

Train always beats bus.

Fastest to Staten Island Ferry from any of the stations at 57/59th St:

(1) to South Ferry, (R)(W) to Whitehall, or (4)(5)  to Bowling Green and walking down State Street?

1 minute ago, Deucey said:

Train always beats bus.

Fastest to Staten Island Ferry from any of the stations at 57/59th St:

(1) to South Ferry, (R)(W) to Whitehall, or (4)(5)  to Bowling Green and walking down State Street?

The (4)(5) probably.

What’s faster from 125 St/Amsterdam to Riverdale?

M60+ to MNRR

(1) to MNRR

(A) to :bus_bullet_bx7:

(1) to :bus_bullet_bx7:

or something else?

5 hours ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Fastest from southern end of Central Park to Downtown Brooklyn (Borough Hall):

(A)(C) 

(1) to (2)(3) 

(F) 

(Q)  to (R) 

(A)(C) to (4)(5) 

The (Q), then walk, probably.

What’s faster from 42 St to W Farms Sq

(S) to (2)

(5)

(6) to Q44

(1) to :bus_bullet_bx9:

MNRR to :bus_bullet_bx9:

Edited by Jova42R

Challenging challenger:

1. Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue to Flushing–Main Street (midday)
    • (D)(7)
    • (D)(E)(7)
    • (D)(F)(7)
    • (F)(7)
    • (F)(G)(7)
    • (N)(7)
    • (Q)(7)
    • (Q)(B)(7)
    • (Q)(B)(E)(7)
    • (Q)(B)(F)(7)
    • (Q)(B)(N)(7)
    • (Q)(F)(7)
  2. Flushing–Main Street to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (PM rush)
    • (reverse of above)

Calculate the minimum travel time, maximum travel time, average travel time, and variance. 😀

Edited by CenSin