Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
B46+SBS via Utica Av

Expanding the Crosstown Line aka The (G)

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, Lex said:

Reading is fundamental.

You didn't read mine either, eh? LIC is growing, and that'll spread. Manhattan doesn't have infinite growth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CenSin said:

You didn't read mine either, eh? LIC is growing, and that'll spread. Manhattan doesn't have infinite growth.

Because Franklin Avenue is so full of potential and relevant to LIC...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2019 at 8:55 PM, Lex said:

Because Franklin Avenue is so full of potential and relevant to LIC...

I'm not sure you understand the concept of “playing the long game.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CenSin said:

I'm not sure you understand the concept of “playing the long game.”

North-south buses (which already connect with the (G), to say nothing of the ones already serving LIC) and Manhattan connections (damn near everything on Broadway, along with the 6th Avenue locals, Flushing, and the (E)) already exist. Aside from Park Place, the primary purpose of that shuttle (thanks to not serving Downtown Brooklyn) is to provide a shortcut between points south of Franklin Avenue and points east. The absolute most I'd be willing to do with it is send it to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, particularly since there's no north-south rail connector between points south of Franklin Avenue and points north and west of the Crosstown bend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the move when it comes to the shuttle is attaching it to the (G) itself. Branch Crosstown south of Bedford Nostrand, tunnel down to somewhere between Fulton and Eastern Parkway, and then just reclaim the ROW. Voila, you’ve got yourself a good approximation of the BMT’s crosstown line and in doing so have provided a decent north-south substitute to buses like the 44. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lex said:

North-south buses (which already connect with the (G), to say nothing of the ones already serving LIC) and Manhattan connections (damn near everything on Broadway, along with the 6th Avenue locals, Flushing, and the (E)) already exist. Aside from Park Place, the primary purpose of that shuttle (thanks to not serving Downtown Brooklyn) is to provide a shortcut between points south of Franklin Avenue and points east. The absolute most I'd be willing to do with it is send it to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, particularly since there's no north-south rail connector between points south of Franklin Avenue and points north and west of the Crosstown bend.

(V) - Prospect Park to 96th St UES via Bed-Stuy, Williamsburg and Christie Street?

Sounds like a plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree 100% with the idea of connecting the (G) to the Franklin Avenue (S) - but of course it should be its own route going all the way up to Court Square, not just a slightly longer shuttle.

Going off further into never-going-to-happen land, A 21 St subway line would connect to the (F) at Queensbridge, serves Astoria, could potentially go all the way to LaGuardia, and would still connect to the (E)(M) at Court Square. Would require closing 21 St but it doesn't exactly have high ridership to begin with. 

My deepest, most never-going-to-happen fantasy for the (G) would probably be to close down 21 St and build a new platform at Vernon Blvd-Jackson Av connecting to the (7), since the (G) literally passes right below the station (Thanks John Hylan?) Would definitely be tight and disruptive to build, but like anything it would be possible with enough money and political will. This could save 7-10 mins on some Brooklyn-bound trips as by no longer having to go the additional 2 stops to Court Square you'd be able to catch the previous (G) trip to Brooklyn sometimes. You'd see smaller but still noticeable time savings going Brooklyn-to-Manhattan since the (7) runs more frequently.

Edited by Mysterious2train

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RR503 said:

I think the move when it comes to the shuttle is attaching it to the (G) itself. Branch Crosstown south of Bedford Nostrand, tunnel down to somewhere between Fulton and Eastern Parkway, and then just reclaim the ROW. Voila, you’ve got yourself a good approximation of the BMT’s crosstown line and in doing so have provided a decent north-south substitute to buses like the 44. 

It may be an okay (at best) alternative to the B48. It'll do precious little for the B44.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lex said:

It may be an okay (at best) alternative to the B48. It'll do precious little for the B44.

There's a good bit of B44 ridership that goes from [points within subway service area along Nostrand] to [points north of EPW]. I'd expect a good bit of that traffic would opt for IRT to this new (G) branch rather than bus, especially if (G)(J)(M) transfer is added. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RR503 said:

There's a good bit of B44 ridership that goes from [points within subway service area along Nostrand] to [points north of EPW]. I'd expect a good bit of that traffic would opt for IRT to this new (G) branch rather than bus, especially if (G)(J)(M) transfer is added. 

Oh, sure, they'll totally get off the bus to transfer to a train/gun straight for the train, only to have to transfer to another train instead of just using the bus to reach Lafayette Avenue or wherever the hell they're going.😏

Edited by Lex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lex said:

Oh, sure, they'll totally get off the bus to transfer to a train/gun straight for the train, only to have to transfer to another train instead of just using the bus to reach Lafayette Avenue or wherever the hell they're going.😏

1) Crosstown buses do indeed exist -- and I would hope that any plan which added a (G) branch to the Brighton line would invest further in their frequencies to help fully reap the benefits of the line. 

2) Let's say I live at Nostrand and Foster. Today, to get to Nostrand and Lafayette, I walk over to Rogers and get on the SBS -- that's a half hour trip. With this (G) branch, you take the (2)(5) to Franklin (15ish minutes), transfer to the (G) branch, and take that to Bedford-Nostrand (5ish minutes). That's twenty minutes, and let's throw in 2 minutes for the transfer time. 22 vs 30, take your pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.