Personal Jerome <4> Express Pilot Study

Lawrence St

17 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Wow 😳! That’s way more than riders than I thought who would be losing service with a <4> express. Even if the <4> also stopped at Mosholu and Bedford Park, that’s still a fraction of the whole (4) line’s ridership north of 149th. 

I thought that’s why they did for at least one of the two express trials. Something along the lines of the current (F)<F> operations. But I might be wrong about that. Though that’s probably the closest thing to a realistic option for any kind of Jerome express service, given the ridership at the stations south of Burnside, including 161st, which has the highest ridership in all of The Bronx.

Does the <F> also not skip high ridership stations between Church Av & Jay St-MetroTech? It skips 3 high volume ridership transfer stations, like 4th Av-9th St, Smith 9 Sts and Bergen St.

In theory, the (4) already does a similar (6)<6> set up during the PM rush, where Burnside Av-bound (4) trains run express and Woodlawn bound (4) trains run local.

17 minutes ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

Wow 😳! That’s way more than riders than I thought who would be losing service with a <4> express. Even if the <4> also stopped at Mosholu and Bedford Park, that’s still a fraction of the whole (4) line’s ridership north of 149th. 

I thought that’s why they did for at least one of the two express trials. Something along the lines of the current (F)<F> operations. But I might be wrong about that. Though that’s probably the closest thing to a realistic option for any kind of Jerome express service, given the ridership at the stations south of Burnside, including 161st, which has the highest ridership in all of The Bronx.

Does the <F> also not skip high ridership stations between Church Av & Jay St-MetroTech? It skips 3 high volume ridership transfer stations, like 4th Av-9th St, Smith 9 Sts and Bergen St.

In theory, the (4) already does a similar (6)<6> set up during the PM rush, where Burnside Av-bound (4) trains run express and Woodlawn bound (4) trains run local.

1 minute ago, Lawrence St said:

Burnside Avenue-bound (4) trains serve only one market: those getting off at Burnside Avenue. It’s the reverse of the (6)<6> setup.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

The <F> makes local stops from Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue to Church Avenue and also stops at 7 Avenue. The ridership is more balanced in that the stops skipped contribute roughly the same number of passengers as the stops not skipped. That was pretty obvious to me at Jay Street–MetroTech going southbound when half of the people chose to remain on the platform instead of boarding the train.

The (4) cannot do the same because of how the switches are arranged. It can: skip 4 stops between 149 Street–Grand Concourse and Burnside Avenue, serving more people but saving only 2~3 minutes; or it can additionally skip Kingsbridge Road, Fordham Road, and 183 Street, saving another 2~3 minutes at the cost of extending the wait time of 8,000,000 passengers/year. The trade-off is much greater.

21 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Yes, it sure does. That’s why I don’t see Transit operating the <F> any more frequently or for longer hours than how they’re currently operating it. Hell, I’d be surprised if the current <F> service sticks around for the long term. 

3 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Smh. You already know those (4) trains to Burnside Avenue get taken out of service and run empty to the yard so that after rush hour is over, the entire (4) line in both directions is maintaining service at 7.5 tph (8-minute headways).

Edited by Jemorie

Just now, Jemorie said:

Smh. You already know those (4) trains to Burnside Avenue get taken out of service and run empty to the yard so that after rush hour is over, the entire (4) line in both directions is maintaining service at 7.5 tph (8-minute headways).

That's what "Burnside Av-bound" (4) trains implies...

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

That's what "Burnside Av-bound" (4) trains implies...

But the setup is not similar to the current Pelham Line setup, as @CenSin stated. The setup is more like the (3) and (4) in Brooklyn, the latter is express yet terminates at Utica; and the (B) and (Q), also in Brooklyn, the former is express yet terminates at Brighton Beach. Local service serves the entire line.

Edited by Jemorie

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

Burnside Avenue-bound (4) trains serve only one market: those getting off at Burnside Avenue. It’s the reverse of the (6)<6> setup.

The <F> makes local stops from Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue to Church Avenue and also stops at 7 Avenue. The ridership is more balanced in that the stops skipped contribute roughly the same number of passengers as the stops not skipped. That was pretty obvious to me at Jay Street–MetroTech going southbound when half of the people chose to remain on the platform instead of boarding the train.

The (4) cannot do the same because of how the switches are arranged. It can: skip 4 stops between 149 Street–Grand Concourse and Burnside Avenue, serving more people but saving only 2~3 minutes; or it can additionally skip Kingsbridge Road, Fordham Road, and 183 Street, saving another 2~3 minutes at the cost of extending the wait time of 8,000,000 passengers/year. The trade-off is much greater.

These are the express pilot service stops I had:

1. Woodlawn-->Moshulu-->Burnside Av-->149 St-->125 St.

2. Woodlawn-->Burnside Av-->167-->161-->149

3. Woodlawn-->Moshulu-->Burnside Av-->167-->161-->149

I chose option 1 because of the fewer switching options it has.

You can't really do a (6)<6> setup because of the way how Burnside's switches are set up. Those local (4) trains would delay <4> service. If there was a switch built between the  northbound local and M track SOUTH of Burnside Av, then it would work.

If Bedford Park was built as an express station, those Burnside Av-bound (4) trains would be extended to Bedford Park, making the put in's/drop-outs a lot easier.

Edited by Lawrence St