Indispensable Transfer Stations

CenSin

For Thanksgiving, I took some time to think about some of the flexibility afforded by the transfer station we have today which I take for granted all the time. I would probably have a hard time getting around in the event of a train reroute or sudden change of plans if these weren’t available:

• Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue ((D)(F)<F>(N)(Q))
  • New Utrecht Avenue/62 Street ((D)(N)(W))
  • Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center ((2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(W))
  • Jay Street–MetroTech ((A)(C)(F)<F>(R)) for the occasional (N)(Q) reroutes
  • Broadway–Lafayette Street ((6)<6>(B)(D)(F)<F>(M))
  • 14 Street/6 Avenue ((1)(2)(3)(F)<F>(M)(L))
  • 14 Street–Union Square ((4)(5)(6)<6>(L)(N)(Q)(R)(W))
  • 34 Street–Herald Square ((B)(D)(F)<F>(M)(N)(Q)(R)(W))
  • Times Square–42 Street ((1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E)(N)(Q)(R)(W))
  • 74 Street–Broadway/Jackson Heights–Roosevelt Avenue ((7)(E)(F)<F>(M)(R))

I use them often to strategically plan my trips pre-boarding and mid-route.

What are some other ones you find indispensable?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Court Sq. ((E)(M)(G)(7)) & Queensboro Plaza ((N)(W)(7)) for me personally....

I would imagine those come in handy during the rush hours in combination with the <7> for some people. Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue doesn't serve the Flushing market as well. I usually go reverse peak when heading to Queens, so I have little use for the <7>.

The (7)<7>, however, has such a crappy transfer to the (E)(M), I wouldn't use it unless I could guarantee a time savings over transferring elsewhere.

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

I would imagine those come in handy during the rush hours in combination with the <7> for some people. Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue doesn't serve the Flushing market as well. I usually go reverse peak when heading to Queens, so I have little use for the <7>.

The (7)<7>, however, has such a crappy transfer to the (E)(M), I wouldn't use it unless I could guarantee a time savings over transferring elsewhere.

I get you.

I have very little use for the E & no real use for the M, so those two are out..... Whenever I'm heading back home from Flushing, it's either [the (7) to TSQ for the (Q) to Church], or [the (7) to Court Sq. for the (G) to Broadway (for the B46 to Church)]... I'm one of these people that like to switch up their commutes (If I do the Q to the 7 to get to Flushing, I'm not doing the 7 to the Q to get back to Brooklyn)....

Edited by B35 via Church

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

It's real dumb too, since physically speaking they're practically on top of each other, but instead you have to walk all the way around the (G) to do it.

I honestly do not know what it would have been like to get from Queens Boulevard to the (6) without the Lex/51-53 transfer.

Jackson Heights is fantastic.

Lex/63 (F)(Q) is underrated.

15 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

The transfer passage from World Trade Center (E) to Cortlandt Street (R) (W) comes in clutch for me a lot...

Great when going to MTA Board Meetings!

This is not a free in system but I really do appreciate the Fulton Street/ WTC transit hub. Since I use an unlimited metrocard 99% of the time, I can easily transfer to the (E)(R)(W)(1) trains from the other lines. Or sometimes I’m just in the area and instead of walking in the heat or in the cold I can walk inside and access all the train lines that run through downtown Manhattan. 

I know the IND use to have long mezzanine’s that have since been sealed. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2019 at 7:27 AM, Union Tpke said:

Lex/63 (F)(Q) is underrated.

I use that only to transfer between the (F) and (Q). There’s no other reason to use it otherwise. I’ve tried that whole walking transfer thing… too much work to be practical. Nobody will use it.

If I read the original proposals correctly, the alignment of the 63 Street tunnel had several alternatives. One of them was avoided to not introduce vibrations to sensitive scientific equipment, but I don’t recall which one that was. 61 Street might have been the best alignment. Tunneling straight across to Queens would have allowed for a station underneath both Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza, creating a nice station complex that would serve 4 Manhattan-Queens crossings and 2 Queens trunks. There’d be easy transfers between the (7)(E)(F)(M)(N)(R)(W). In Manhattan, all but the (E) and (M) would also have transfer opportunities to the (4)(5) (but in that alternate reality, the (M) would probably be routed along 61 Street along with the (F) to ease crowding).

9 hours ago, CenSin said:

I use that only to transfer between the (F) and (Q). There’s no other reason to use it otherwise. I’ve tried that whole walking transfer thing… too much work to be practical. Nobody will use it.

If I read the original proposals correctly, the alignment of the 63 Street tunnel had several alternatives. One of them was avoided to not introduce vibrations to sensitive scientific equipment, but I don’t recall which one that was. 61 Street might have been the best alignment. Tunneling straight across to Queens would have allowed for a station underneath both Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza, creating a nice station complex that would serve 4 Manhattan-Queens crossings and 2 Queens trunks. There’d be easy transfers between the (7)(E)(F)(M)(N)(R)(W). In Manhattan, all but the (E) and (M) would also have transfer opportunities to the (4)(5) (but in that alternate reality, the (M) would probably be routed along 61 Street along with the (F) to ease crowding).

I am talking about between the (F) and the (Q). It is really useful to get to the UES, and it is much more convenient than transferring at Herald Square.

When 168th was opened on the (1) side, it was a pretty clutch transfer for me, especially if I'm on the (A) or (C) and I don't feel like getting off in Midtown. 

Lex-59th is very clutch as well, since they are on top of each other. 

Lafayette and Bleecker Street is a very useful transfer. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, Deucey said:

No one said DeKalb?

🤔🤔

And no one said Nevins St. 

When I worked for that shitty real estate startup, and I used to drink/side job in Bed-Stuy, both stations came in handy making sure I got on the Shaolin yacht late night.

I mean… they are literally the same station/platforms to their respective lines. But if a transfer were built between Nevins Street and DeKalb Avenue, that would warrant a thought.

On 12/13/2019 at 7:42 AM, Union Tpke said:

I am talking about between the (F) and the (Q). It is really useful to get to the UES, and it is much more convenient than transferring at Herald Square.

Sometimes I miss the (Q) at that station. Then I have to navigate the labyrinth of stairs and ramps at 34 Street–Herald Square. I have to say that despite the obvious roundabout route of the (Q) compared to the (F), I almost never catch that missed (Q) (and I'm very quick). Good thing there is either a (B) or (N)—the latter if I also miss the former.