Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

Effective 12/18 Q47s stop at Bulova. This will not survive the redesign.

Recommended Posts

In effect
Q47 - Bulova Corporate Center Stop

Q47 buses are making the stop at the Bulova Corporate Center and 77 St in both directions, during the following hours:

Northbound 6 AM to 3 PM
Southbound 10 AM to 7 PM 

12/18/19 11:53 AM
NYTB

https://mymtaalerts.com/m?CD225

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that I'm defending serving Bulova necessarily, but why do you say that it won't survive the redesign?

With the Jackson Hgts. routes, the map resembles it still serving Bulova (that encircling going on, just south of Astoria Blvd.)....

Personally, I wish they'd just kick the thing out of the airport on that end of the route... Whether it serves Bulova or not, is immaterial to me....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Not that I'm defending serving Bulova necessarily, but why do you say that it won't survive the redesign?

With the Jackson Hgts. routes, the map resembles it still serving Bulova (that encircling going on, just south of Astoria Blvd.)....

Personally, I wish they'd just kick the thing out of the airport on that end of the route... Whether it serves Bulova or not, is immaterial to me....

It is out of the way and goes against their wish for straight, direct routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t really have an opinion on whether or not it will still serve Bulova. If it doesn’t I wouldn’t be surprised, because it was less than a week that the Q47 started serving the place before it started bypassing it. I wouldn’t mind it if buses bypassed Bulova because the regular route is only a block away which isn’t too far. 
 

I do agree with B35, the Q47 just needs to get out of LGA. I would have the Q70 instead serve Terminal A. Eventually I see only the M60 and Q70 serving LGA, with them perhaps sparing the Q72. Maybe they’d extend the Q23 in there and keep the Q72 out, but who knows.

The last stop on the Q47 should be Astoria Blvd, because from the times I rode the Q47 up that far, I was usually either the only one on the bus, or there were perhaps between 1-3 people still on the bus and they would get off where I got off which was when the bus turned onto 82nd street from Astoria Blvd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

...I do agree with B35, the Q47 just needs to get out of LGA. I would have the Q70 instead serve Terminal A. Eventually I see only the M60 and Q70 serving LGA, with them perhaps sparing the Q72. Maybe they’d extend the Q23 in there and keep the Q72 out, but who knows.

The last stop on the Q47 should be Astoria Blvd, because from the times I rode the Q47 up that far, I was usually either the only one on the bus, or there were perhaps between 1-3 people still on the bus and they would get off where I got off which was when the bus turned onto 82nd street from Astoria Blvd.

I remember saying on here some time ago that the MTA will only have SBS' running in & out of LGA, and I still believe that to be the case.... Not necessarily w/ this redesign, but the eventual end goal....

I just find it funny that they absorbed the old Q45 into today's Q47, but are now opting to phase out that very portion of the Q47.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

I remember saying on here some time ago that the MTA will only have SBS' running in & out of LGA, and I still believe that to be the case.... Not necessarily w/ this redesign, but the eventual end goal....

I just find it funny that they absorbed the old Q45 into today's Q47, but are now opting to phase out that very portion of the Q47.....

The two parts of the route tank out completely at Roosevelt Ave and Broadway. Currently there might be one or two people riding from the old Q45 portion onto the original Q47 portion but in general Roosevelt Ave/ Broadway is where everyone gets off. They have two distinct ridership bases of their own so I’m not surprised that the MTA wants to cut the route in half again and fix the old Q45 portion of the Q47. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The two parts of the route tank out completely at Roosevelt Ave and Broadway. Currently there might be one or two people riding from the old Q45 portion onto the original Q47 portion but in general Roosevelt Ave/ Broadway is where everyone gets off. They have two distinct ridership bases of their own so I’m not surprised that the MTA wants to cut the route in half again and fix the old Q45 portion of the Q47. 

Completely discontinuing service along Calamus & eliminating a large chunk of service along 80th st isn't exactly what I'd call fixing the old Q45 portion.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Completely discontinuing service along Calamus & eliminating a large chunk of service along 80th st isn't exactly what I'd call fixing the old Q45 portion.....

I don’t think the two halves should have been combined in the first place, but I feel like the MTA combined the Q45 and Q47 for the sake that it worked. They had similar headway’s, (the Q45 probably slightly worst), shared a similar terminal Roosevelt Ave/74th street, and the runtime was similar. And they probably also did it to make room for the Q70.

I was never a fan of the Q45/Q47’s southern terminal because Atlas Mall is far from a popular destination in comparison to Queens Center Mall. Ridership tanks by the time the Q47 passes Elliot Ave so there is barely anyone left on the last stretch to Atlas. I find that more people utilize the Q54 then they do the Q29 and Q47 to the mall. 
I don’t think the Q47 is a waste down there either I just think it should go elsewhere to terminate. But I think what stopped that from happening is the fact that the MTA lazily combined both the 45 and the 47. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I don’t think the two halves should have been combined in the first place, but I feel like the MTA combined the Q45 and Q47 for the sake that it worked. They had similar headway’s, (the Q45 probably slightly worst), shared a similar terminal Roosevelt Ave/74th street, and the runtime was similar. And they probably also did it to make room for the Q70.

I was never a fan of the Q45/Q47’s southern terminal because Atlas Mall is far from a popular destination in comparison to Queens Center Mall. Ridership tanks by the time the Q47 passes Elliot Ave so there is barely anyone left on the last stretch to Atlas. I find that more people utilize the Q54 then they do the Q29 and Q47 to the mall. 
I don’t think the Q47 is a waste down there either I just think it should go elsewhere to terminate. But I think what stopped that from happening is the fact that the MTA lazily combined both the 45 and the 47. 

It made sense to combine the two routes because of those reasons.... I'm not seeing how combining the two routes made it a hindrance to terminate it somewhere other than Atlas on the southern end of the thing... There's nothing saying that you have to keep both routes exactly the way they are in order to combine them..... Look, I didn't care for the creation of Atlas from the beginning (as a Mall or as a terminal for a bus) & the only reason I believe it terminates there (instead of running down to Myrtle) is due to lack of layover space for two full time routes.....

Regardless of where it terminated on that end though, phasing out the southern part of the Q47 is passively dictating what subway corridor those people have access to.... That isn't something that should be overlooked or minimized.... These questions are rhetorical, but why shouldn't those folks have direct access to the (7)? Why shouldn't those folks have basic coverage? The narrative is quite clear & I hope CB5 fights tooth & nail to get that rectified (if such a revocation is being proposed in this redesign).... It doesn't have to be exactly how the Q47 on that end of the route is routed, but a void is most certainly not the answer.....

Speaking of CB5, that's something else I'm going to pay more of an attention to - how these different community boards will (or if) they respond to what's being proposed in these redesigns.... Too many of 'em are pretty lax when it comes to issues regarding public transportation... It needs to be more than just the usual suspects showing some sort of concern....

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Regardless of where it terminated on that end though, phasing out the southern part of the Q47 is passively dictating what subway corridor those people have access to.... That isn't something that should be overlooked or minimized.... These questions are rhetorical, but why shouldn't those folks have direct access to the (7)? Why shouldn't those folks have basic coverage? The narrative is quite clear & I hope CB5 fights tooth & nail to get that rectified (if such a revocation is being proposed in this redesign).... It doesn't have to be exactly how the Q47 on that end of the route is routed, but a void is most certainly not the answer.....

 

I live in Glendale and my daily commute to work everyday requires me to take the Q47 to the 7 train. I would love love if the MTA keeps the Q47 at atlas park. While i could take the Q29 to the 7 train, that bus is the itself one of the worse unreliable buses ever. I had a ton of problems with the Q29 bus from very long wait times to bus drivers randomly decided to the end the route early at Queens Blvd even through the destination side on the top and side of the bus said Jackson heights and bustime shows it is a Jackson Heights bus. At Queens Blvd i have to either wait for the next Q29 and hope that runs the full route to Jackson Heights or hop on the R/M train a few stops to the 7 train. If the MTA wants to change the Q47 service then they need to do something to improve service on the Q29 and give the Q29 Jackson Heights bus that go the 7 train better headaways

 

Edited by azspeedbullet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azspeedbullet said:

 

I live in Glendale and my daily commute to work everyday requires me to take the Q47 to the 7 train. I would love love if the MTA keeps the Q47 at atlas park. While i could take the Q29 to the 7 train, that bus is the itself one of the worse unreliable buses ever. I had a ton of problems with the Q29 bus from very long wait times to bus drivers randomly decided to the end the route early at Queens Blvd even through the destination side on the top and side of the bus said Jackson heights and bustime shows it is a Jackson Heights bus. At Queens Blvd i have to either wait for the next Q29 and hope that runs the full route to Jackson Heights or hop on the R/M train a few stops to the 7 train. If the MTA wants to change the Q47 service then they need to do something to improve service on the Q29 and give the Q29 Jackson Heights bus that go the 7 train better headaways

 

Except under the map shown in the other thread, not only does that part of the Q47 no longer exist, but the Q29 no longer serves Jackson Heights and connects with the (7) at 103rd Street.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Except under the map shown in the other thread, not only does that part of the Q47 no longer exist, but the Q29 no longer serves Jackson Heights and connects with the (7) at 103rd Street.

Right.... I mean, if you're heading towards Manhattan, the backtrack is bad enough (74th vs. Corona Plaza).....

Then there's the commute on the bus itself - Getting to the (7) via today's Q47 would be significantly faster (which is saying a lot) than any route going 80th > Dry Harbor > Penelope > 63rd > QB > Junction > 57th > 99th > Corona > National, to Roosevelt.... To hell with the number of turns for a second, just navigating through Rego Park (Lefrak, inclusive) to get to Corona Plaza from Glendale in that manner would loom detrimental.... I don't see much of anybody doing that from his area... So you're going to have even more people xferring off the (M) or (R) to catch the (7) if they so need it....

Edited by B35 via Church

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Except under the map shown in the other thread, not only does that part of the Q47 no longer exist, but the Q29 no longer serves Jackson Heights and connects with the (7) at 103rd Street.

Wow..thats sad..how is it going to improve service if it is going to increase my commute time to take like an extra 30min to 60min longer..makes no sense.

on an average day, taking the Q47 to the 7 train to Long Island city is about 45 minutes. there is no way this is  possible if i have to go all the way to 103rd station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.