Difference between R33/36 ML and R33/36 WF

Bracamonte

When the R33/36 ML was overhauled to become redbirds, the old interior lights were replaced and looked like the ones on the R32/38/40/M/42. But when the R33/36 WF was overhauled, they still had those old SMEE lights. Is there any explanation to this?

On a side note: when the redbirds were running, changing the destination sign was not allowed?

When the R33/36 ML was overhauled to become redbirds, the old interior lights were replaced and looked like the ones on the R32/38/40/M/42. But when the R33/36 WF was overhauled, they still had those old SMEE lights. Is there any explanation to this?

On a side note: when the redbirds were running, changing the destination sign was not allowed?

Not too sure about your first question and r u talking about the lights that were near the air vent on top, when it hits a junction it activated?

FOr your second ques, no because people would get confused on what route is it, if it were a (2) Train and I put a (1) Train, and the train was at Intervale, then most people would wonder if its a (1) or (2), even tho they can easily tell its a (2)

I belivie in the 36s the the wheel for changing the signs were replaced with a key whole like the 38s/32s

Changing the destination signs on the redbirds was so allowed. Esp on the deuce((2) line) and (5) lines at flatbush ave due to those two lines swaping fleets. Even commuters could change the signs on a redbird!! I remember when i rode on this redbird on the (2) and one of the side signs was signed up as the (6), i changed it to the correct (2) signage.

Here's the answer to your question.

From nycsubway.org

R36 ML

img_3982.jpg

R33 WF

img_4068.jpg

ah thats the reason, wow looks more like a 30 on the 33wf

the problem is, the 33WF was not equipped with ACs due to lack of room for ACs, it used fans, summer times the trains were not allowed to run, seeing that the cars were too hot

the 36 how ever had ACs B)

@trainfan22 true but it wouldnt be right to change it and leave, people dont know much u know, I use to LOVE playing with those B) :) making everything (2)(7)(5) haha

Seeing as I believe I know a thing or two about the Redbirds, I'll attempt to answer.

The reason for no AC on the R33WFs is because those cars are single units, i.e. they can stand alone. Adding an AC to one of those cars would make the thing too heavy.

They removed the cranks to prevent people from messing with the signs. Hex keys owned by employees (or certain lucky people) can turn the signs, and this applies on today's roll signs too. I believe there is at least one R32 where the cranks still exist.

As for the different lighting:

The WF cars were rebuilt by Coney Island Yard before they developed the standard GOH rebuild, hence the different interiors, I think.

I still don't get it. Why were the lights of the R33/36 ML overhauled into R32 style while the WF cars kept the original lights?

I belibie its becua the T/A was gonna retire the train fleet in the Mid 90s, in favor for the New R130s, till it fail, and wiated for the R142s

Archived