Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

Now that I agree with! I have been arguing for quite sometime that this 25mph cap is a disaster. Thing is in many places bus operators still push 40mph to make up for the time. The one that always due 20-25 are doomed from the beginning of each run. Our schedules aren't set up for buses to do 20-25 miles per hour unless it's a congested area like crosstown Manhattan.

The DOT has also re-timed signals all over to prevent one from being able to do much faster than 25 mph. Queens Boulevard is a prime example of re-timed signals where the signals are timed for 25 mph. In the case of other streets, like Kings HIghway, the B82 SBS will likely reduce traffic to a 1 lane on the main road each way between Avenue K and Ocean Avenue, and Flatlands Avenue will also likely see traffic reduced to 1 lane (plus turn lanes) each way between Utica and Pennsylvania.

BTW, has it been announced when the B82 SBS will start? I would expect that either Kingsbridge or Gun Hill will give up artics for this service.

Since the topic also covers the Bx6 and an SBS corridor there, this would be a perfect opportunity to extend the Bx46 to Yankee Stadium so that the Bx46 is the local to the Bx6 SBS.

Edited by aemoreira81

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I agree with! I have been arguing for quite sometime that this 25mph cap is a disaster. Thing is in many places bus operators still push 40mph to make up for the time. The one that always due 20-25 are doomed from the beginning of each run. Our schedules aren't set up for buses to do 20-25 miles per hour unless it's a congested area like crosstown Manhattan.

But what about buses on highways? Going 25 when the speed limit is double and actual traffic can be faster, is really dangerous.  

I get the impression that some people don't want to pay and then decide to take a cab if the bus isn't there soon, so that's another reason that some wait. A frequent occurrence is for some to look for a bus, not see one and then hail a cab.  If you're not transferring from the bus or subway and have a pay-per-ride, I would wait too.  

Sunday I had the weirdest thing happen that I found rather annoying.  Stopped to get an espresso and a pastry, and as I'm making my way to 57th and 7th, I check BusTime to see if anything is coming via 57th or 7th.  I take whatever comes first which was an M7 via 7th Avenue.  It's me and two elderly people.  When we all get on and pay, THEN the B/O announces that he's six minutes early and that the bus would be held.  So I immediately get off and get the M104 behind it, as I needed to be somewhere and didn't want to wait.  If I had a pay-per-ride, I would've been stuck paying another fare since I had already used the BxM2 to get into the city.  My point is unless you have an unlimited pass, you have to be more careful about not just getting a SBS ticket.  I've also been in situations where I've purchased my SBS ticket without checking BusTime or the board to see where buses were and then decided to ditch the bus and take the subway to where I was going, which if I had a pay-per-ride, would've cost me another $2.75, given my final destination in those cases.

If you explained the situation to the B/O you probably could have gotten a transfer.  

You also have the issue of people not realizing you can use an SBS ticket on the local (so they wait until the last minute to buy their ticket).

Really? The local Bx12 B/O's kick people off the bus when you try to use an SBS ticket...

You can farebeat thru the back (and even the front) and they won't say anything, but if you flash the ol' SBS receipt, that's when they'll tell you to pay or get off. Go figure.

Really? The local Bx12 B/O's kick people off the bus when you try to use an SBS ticket...

You can farebeat thru the back (and even the front) and they won't say anything, but if you flash the ol' SBS receipt, that's when they'll tell you to pay or get off. Go figure.

Some drivers act like an ass when you try to give them your receipt, a few would take the ticket and store it in their pocket or something, and others glance at the ticket and that's that.

How about when the SBS stops running and the machines still give out tickets?

http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/faqs.htm

Can I use my SBS ticket to ride on other bus routes?

Your SBS ticket is your proof of payment for SBS service.  However, should another bus (local or limited) arrive at your stop before your SBS bus, you may board at the front door and give your ticket to the bus operator. 

Customers may check MTA Bus Time to learn when the next buses are expected to arrive at their stop.  Simply enter the bus stop code (which can be found in the Guide-A-Ride box on the bus stop pole), or the bus stop intersection (e.g. 2 Av/E 42) into the search function.  Learn more about MTA Bus Time, available on desktop and as an app, here.

http://web.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/faqs.htm

Can I use my SBS ticket to ride on other bus routes?

Your SBS ticket is your proof of payment for SBS service. However, should another bus (local or limited) arrive at your stop before your SBS bus, you may board at the front door and give your ticket to the bus operator.

Customers may check MTA Bus Time to learn when the next buses are expected to arrive at their stop. Simply enter the bus stop code (which can be found in the Guide-A-Ride box on the bus stop pole), or the bus stop intersection (e.g. 2 Av/E 42) into the search function. Learn more about MTA Bus Time, available on desktop and as an app, here.

I get what Paul is saying. What the rules are and what actually happens are two different things. I think initially the (MTA) was fine with it, but as time has gone on, new drivers come in with the attitude of I don't give a damn what your situation is, treating EVERYONE as farebeaters unless you dip your Metrocard and it goes through, and they simply aren't trained well enough to remember such things unless people complain about it officially. There are so many people passing off their used SBS ticket that it isn't even funny. I have used various SBS lines and can recall people asking me for my ticket when I got off. It was not in view and I simply looked at them like they had four heads and kept walking. This was in the Bronx (not Manhattan) but still. It is happening. I myself have done it on the M15, but this was a while ago. The female driver took my ticket when I presented it but almost as if she had forgotten about the rule. I haven't done that in quite some time though.

Aren't they required to take them? Especially if it's a local variant of a SBS.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

They "should" take them. Whether they do or not... Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I mean, I'm aware the local variants of SBS routes are supposed to accept the SBS tickets as payment of fare, but the vast majority of drivers (at least on the 12, maybe the 41 too since they're both from the same depot) just choose not to accept them.

Yeah because they either aren't trained and told about it as they're supposed to be, of they decide to be difficult.  I have to say that anytime I deal with a driver that chooses to be difficult with me and rude, I report them. I simply won't tolerate it. If my card has a read error because of a dirty farebox, and it isn't saying that I have insufficient fare, I see no reason for them not to wave me on. I've had situations where I've had a B/O tell me to use a new card when I had just started the first one.  What do they care? It isn't their money nor their time being wasted constantly buying Metrocards and having to replace them.  If it's clear that the card has malfunctioned and I have a back up one me, I'll do it, but other times it's just a question of re-dipping until the farebox can read the card.  I had that happen years ago with a guy that was trying to be a jerk.  After the third time I dipped, it went through and I just looked at him.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

But what about buses on highways? Going 25 when the speed limit is double and actual traffic can be faster, is really dangerous.  

This is why pretty much the entire local fleet is speed-limited to 40 mph (the minimum allowable speed on limited access highways), except for perhaps designated training buses.

Trying to board some local bus with an SBS ticket is just asking for a hassle I want no part of.... I'm not looking to try to feel like I'm somehow getting over, or to find alternate ways of boarding the bus legally/rightfully - other than by way of dipping a metrocard, a paper xfer, or dropping some number of coins that amounts to the fare; the latter 2 of which I haven't done in ages.....

I have used various SBS lines and can recall people asking me for my ticket when I got off.

I've had that happen also.... My attitude is one of: You want it? Here - take it.....

Less shit I have to clean out of my bag.

I think initially the (MTA) was fine with it, but as time has gone on, new drivers come in with the attitude of I don't give a damn what your situation is, treating EVERYONE as farebeaters unless you dip your Metrocard and it goes through, and they simply aren't trained well enough to remember such things unless people complain about it officially

Poor customer service.....

If that's their sentiment, well then guess what..... This is what I think a lot of b/o's these days deem passengers as anyways (as all farebeaters), so it's no love lost AFAIC.... I pay my fare, don't say shit - get off at the stop I need to, still don't say shit....

...and leave em to think whatever they want of a PAYING customer.

1. Trying to board some local bus with an SBS ticket is just asking for a hassle I want no part of.... I'm not looking to try to feel like I'm somehow getting over, or to find alternate ways of boarding the bus legally/rightfully - other than by way of dipping a metrocard, a paper xfer, or dropping some number of coins that amounts to the fare; the latter 2 of which I haven't done in ages.....

2. I've had that happen also.... My attitude is one of: You want it? Here - take it.....

Less shit I have to clean out of my bag.

3. Poor customer service.....

If that's their sentiment, well then guess what..... This is what I think a lot of b/o's these days deem passengers as anyways (as all farebeaters), so it's no love lost AFAIC.... I pay my fare, don't say shit - get off at the stop I need to, still don't say shit....

...and leave em to think whatever they want of a PAYING customer.

1. I personally think the (MTA) doesn't give a damn about that whole transferring to a local bus if a SBS bus isn't coming.  What they would like is MORE SBS buses and fewer local buses.  Likely explains why they're probably not reminding drivers of said rule.  That's my take on it anyway.

2. lol I hate moochers, so I would never give mine up.  It goes with all of my other papers to be shredded.

3. That how I feel 100%... All passengers (except for maybe a nice looking female) are farebeaters.  

A better question why hasn't it been addressed? It's going on that long and STILL occurs and people wonder why bus ridership keeps tanking... lol

Sorry for the belated reply. It seems to be addressed on an individual​ basis. Years ago my neighbor/friend worked the (2) line as a M/M. Had a regular job starting at New Lots and finishing at Flatbush around midnight. I picked up a similar job from a guy who was on vacation. Same New Lots, ending at the " Bush. He finished at 11:50 pm and me at 12:02 am. There was a scheduled e/b B6 bus due to arrive at Nostrand/Glenwood at 12:30 am. The w/b B6 was also scheduled to meet at the same time across the street. A s/b B44 would also arrive at 12:20-12:25 making a connection with both B6 buses. First week everything went as scheduled. End of the B/O pick. The second Monday​ we walk up to the stop and waited. The w/b B6 B/O called us over, my friend and I, and told us the bus we were waiting for passed by him before he turned on Albany Avenue and before Glenwood Road 8-10 minutes before that. At that time our options were to board the w/b​ B6 and ride with him to Cropsey and ride back with him. There were only two buses on the line at that time with an hour between them. Other option was to ride the (2) back to Franklin and cross over for a (4) to New Lots. We caught a cab who was willing to take two brothers in uniform and two older folks who were going in that direction. The next day we were at the stop at 12:15 am and we caught the bus. We get to Rockaway Parkway enter the loop and he announces " last stop". We call him on it and before the argument escalates a B42 B/O pulls him over, talks to him, and our B/O grudgingly tells us to re-board. We rode to Pennsylvania Avenue and got off. Told my buddy I'd drop him off at the last stop, Cozine/Ashford.. An RTO supervisor saw us and we stopped to talk. Lo and behold the B/O short turned the bus,​ and headed back west in front of 3 employees who knew what he did. The supervisor took down the bus number and said he'd take care of it. We didn't see the B/O next day because we were all delayed and got to Flatbush late. The following day, Thursday, we had a young cheerful, polite B/O. We struck up a conversation with him and he told us what happened to the malcontent B/O the night we missed him. Seems he pulled the same okey dokey at Rockaway Parkway that he tried to pull on us earlier in the week. He had no one on board heading further east so he chilled at the Canarsie /B42 loop. He didn't know that there was a Surface supervisor watching him at that stop and ​another one waiting at Cozine/ Ashford his last-first stop. Heard that when he started up his bus and changed the destination signs to Harway/Cropsey Avenues the dispatcher on scene identified himself, took the guy out of service and put a B/O he had with him in his vehicle and sent the new ​B/O out to East New York, somewhat late but at least there was service being provided out there. It's no joke standing at a bus stop in the midnight hours when there's an hour between buses. It's even worse when the extended wait is for no good reason like a breakdown, accident or similar. That B/O  excuse as told to us by a Surface supervisor was that he was ​afraid to go to East New York because of his skin color.​ Never mind the fact that the w/b B/O we encountered and the e/b B/O that we rode with the week before all had his skin color. Makes you wonder how many other times this has happened to riders throughout the city. I had to relate this story because it's bugged me over the years and I'll never forget it. Carry on.

Sorry for the belated reply. It seems to be addressed on an individual​ basis. Years ago my neighbor/friend worked the (2) line as a M/M. Had a regular job starting at New Lots and finishing at Flatbush around midnight. I picked up a similar job from a guy who was on vacation. Same New Lots, ending at the " Bush. He finished at 11:50 pm and me at 12:02 am. There was a scheduled e/b B6 bus due to arrive at Nostrand/Glenwood at 12:30 am. The w/b B6 was also scheduled to meet at the same time across the street. A s/b B44 would also arrive at 12:20-12:25 making a connection with both B6 buses. First week everything went as scheduled. End of the B/O pick. The second Monday​ we walk up to the stop and waited. The w/b B6 B/O called us over, my friend and I, and told us the bus we were waiting for passed by him before he turned on Albany Avenue and before Glenwood Road 8-10 minutes before that. At that time our options were to board the w/b​ B6 and ride with him to Cropsey and ride back with him. There were only two buses on the line at that time with an hour between them. Other option was to ride the (2) back to Franklin and cross over for a (4) to New Lots. We caught a cab who was willing to take two brothers in uniform and two older folks who were going in that direction. The next day we were at the stop at 12:15 am and we caught the bus. We get to Rockaway Parkway enter the loop and he announces " last stop". We call him on it and before the argument escalates a B42 B/O pulls him over, talks to him, and our B/O grudgingly tells us to re-board. We rode to Pennsylvania Avenue and got off. Told my buddy I'd drop him off at the last stop, Cozine/Ashford.. An RTO supervisor saw us and we stopped to talk. Lo and behold the B/O short turned the bus,​ and headed back west in front of 3 employees who knew what he did. The supervisor took down the bus number and said he'd take care of it. We didn't see the B/O next day because we were all delayed and got to Flatbush late. The following day, Thursday, we had a young cheerful, polite B/O. We struck up a conversation with him and he told us what happened to the malcontent B/O the night we missed him. Seems he pulled the same okey dokey at Rockaway Parkway that he tried to pull on us earlier in the week. He had no one on board heading further east so he chilled at the Canarsie /B42 loop. He didn't know that there was a Surface supervisor watching him at that stop and ​another one waiting at Cozine/ Ashford his last-first stop. Heard that when he started up his bus and changed the destination signs to Harway/Cropsey Avenues the dispatcher on scene identified himself, took the guy out of service and put a B/O he had with him in his vehicle and sent the new ​B/O out to East New York, somewhat late but at least there was service being provided out there. It's no joke standing at a bus stop in the midnight hours when there's an hour between buses. It's even worse when the extended wait is for no good reason like a breakdown, accident or similar. That B/O excuse as told to us by a Surface supervisor was that he was ​afraid to go to East New York because of his skin color.​ Never mind the fact that the w/b B/O we encountered and the e/b B/O that we rode with the week before all had his skin color. Makes you wonder how many other times this has happened to riders throughout the city. I had to relate this story because it's bugged me over the years and I'll never forget it. Carry on.

Smh... That is absolutely crazy. My uncle was set to retire, but he used to take the bus during the week to his depot and complained that it was always late. I don't know what's going on, but there are a lot of newbies out and about. Seems like some are really making an effort to be on time. What's concerning is how bad the situation has become to get to this state. Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

SBS update. I may even change the title to include it.

With new temporary bus assignments in, Stengel will ship more LFSA's to Quill for the M14 and future M14SBS which is now confirmed as of today.

Any idea what the M14 SBS stops will be?

SBS update. I may even change the title to include it.

With new temporary bus assignments in, Stengel will ship more LFSA's to Quill for the M14 and future M14SBS which is now confirmed as of today.

Thank you for the update. I had a feeling that would happen. That should have been put in place before M79SBS.

I would assume like the other crosstowns (M79, M86 and M23), the stops will be the same, give or take one or two low ridership stops.

So in other words, the M14 SBS will be just as slow as the M14A/D, just with off-board fare payment.

And maybe signal prioritization. But blue lights and fancy vinyls though. Thanks Andy C!!!

====

Since M14A/D basically run the same route except at the east end, if dropping stops on 14th St isn't going to happen, alternation should be the method: ie the A stops at 5th Av, the D at 6th, A at 7th, D at 8th and so on. Might speed up the line.

====

Since M14A/D basically run the same route except at the east end, if dropping stops on 14th St isn't going to happen, alternation should be the method: ie the A stops at 5th Av, the D at 6th, A at 7th, D at 8th and so on. Might speed up the line.

That sounds good. However, realistically it's not going to happen. Just simply b/c you have quite a few seniors and elderly people who live on the D portion of the route. You can't tell those people to walk 2 blocks to the nearest Avenue D stop.

The D bus has to make the right on Avenue C down East 10 than to proceed down to Avenue D. Tons of seniors live on that portion of the route.

Remember that this M14SBS is developing. I do not have any information on planning for either variant of the M14. I have many of the same questions that you all do. My contact does not know at this time, so I'm not going to go into anymore details until I can confirm things. For the veterans, you all know how I operate. As I get it, you all are usually the second or third to know. I will be on top of it because we have discussed the M14 many times and someone just asked me about SBS on the route a week or two ago.

So let's just see how this all plays out. In the meanwhile, Quill is supposed to be getting Stengels buses. So this may happen sooner than even I might expect.

For the veterans, you all know how I operate. As I get it, you all are usually the second or third to know.

So let's just see how this all plays out. In the meanwhile, Quill is supposed to be getting Stengels buses. So this may happen sooner than even I might expect.

As always. Thank you ENY for the insight and latest information.

Will Quill ship some their artics to OH/OF, The Bronx or Flatbush? or a combination of all 3?

As it stands Stengel has 23 artics. Will the even set of numbers make delivery very soon for their order to complete?

As always. Thank you ENY for the insight and latest information.

Will Quill ship some their artics to OH/OF, The Bronx or Flatbush? or a combination of all 3?

As it stands Stengel has 23 artics. Will the even set of numbers make delivery very soon for their order to complete?

They'd have to considering Grand Avenue needs all of those 17 buses for the (M) shuttle in what, three weeks?