Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

By that logic, the M15 SBS should be scrapped as soon as possible, because it parallels the (Q)

Yeah, for like a mile and a half. That's like saying the B44 duplicates the (2)(5) (whether somebody likes the fact that they put SBS on the route, the fact that it spends a relatively short segment of its route duplicating it doesn't equate to the entire line duplicating it).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By that logic, the M15 SBS should be scrapped as soon as possible, because it parallels the (Q) . I don't see why the subway should be a sticking point for not giving buses LTD or SBS service. The Bx1 has LTD service, runs articulated buses, runs with the Bx2, and parallels the (D) for a good portion of the route.

Also, since when does the Q103 mirror any subway line?

The Q102 is longer than the crosstowns from end to end. The Astoria-bound route is shorter than the Roosevelt Island-bound route (since it doesn't serve the northern parts of the island), but is 4.9 miles long. The M34A is 2.9 miles long, the M34 is 1.9 miles long, the M23 is 2.5 miles long, and the M79 is 2.2 miles long.

May I ask why you mentioned the Bx1/2 and the D on the GC when that whole Blvd is the busiest street in the Bronx other than Fordham Rd & Boston Road north of Pelham Pkway in terms of transit?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I don't see why the subway should be a sticking point for not giving buses LTD or SBS service....

I agree with this, to a point.....

If I see SBS service being propped along a bus line that mirrors a significant portion of an already lengthy subway stint, I would see that as throwing shade as to how ineffective/inefficient that subway line is, as well as the local/LTD bus variant of that line.... As far as LTD service though, that's where I concur with what you're saying.... The subway isn't really equivalent to LTD service for a local line that runs above/below it..... The Bx1 LTD is obviously proof of that....

in retrospect there must be a bus variant of a subway line corridor is a law in transit...the M15 cant be scrapped since there are some who wish to take buses rather than subways as well as the BX1-2 and B44

Which law is this now? Because it's clearly being broken along McDonald av.....

May I ask why you mentioned the Bx1/2 and the D on the GC when that whole Blvd is the busiest street in the Bronx other than Fordham Rd & Boston Road north of Pelham Pkway in terms of transit?

To prove my point (and you're proving it by asking me that question too).

Disregarding some of the examples you mentioned regarding duplication, you can't just say that the subway runs above/below it, and therefore LTD/SBS service is immediately out the window. You pointing out that Grand Concourse buses carry is a clear indication of a corridor which does not follow said "guideline". You have Locals, LTD's, and the subway, and all three are utilized. This is not the route that would break such a rule.

Judging by what you count as duplication on the Bx19 example, over half the routes which have LIMITED service wouldn't have them today. It's not like you can even transfer between the (2)(5) and the (6) in The Bronx.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I agree with this, to a point.....

If I see SBS service being propped along a bus line that mirrors a significant portion of an already lengthy subway stint, I would see that as throwing shade as to how ineffective/inefficient that subway line is, as well as the local/LTD bus variant of that line.... As far as LTD service though, that's where I concur with what you're saying.... The subway isn't really equivalent to LTD service for a local line that runs above/below it..... The Bx1 LTD is obviously proof of that....

Which law is this now? Because it's clearly being broken along McDonald av.....

And 4th Avenue in Brooklyn... 

(except for the Staten Island buses and the B9; I wouldn't consider the B37 or B63 an (R) variant as the buses serve different purposes than the train e.g. bus for short trips, subway for Manhattan)

Thinking ahead is the proposed M14 SBS going to continue going to the Ferry on the Eastern end after the L Train is fixed...guess we will see as the story develops. As for the M14A/D I really don't see a smooth way to convert either one into the main SBS with the other being the Lcl counterpart or both being SBS so its nice that they chose not to touch either of them route wise

Thinking ahead is the proposed M14 SBS going to continue going to the Ferry on the Eastern end after the L Train is fixed...guess we will see as the story develops. As for the M14A/D I really don't see a smooth way to convert either one into the main SBS with the other being the Lcl counterpart or both being SBS so its nice that they chose not to touch either of them route wise

Lol @ your banner

I remember when the original B50 was rerouted onto Avenue K between Flatlands and Kings Highway in both directions. It didn't last long....

I believe that this was in the 90s when I was in high school.....

It was on Nov 12, 1978 when the B50 started and it ran on Avenue K for about three weeks or three months, I am not sure. The residents of Avenue K protested and with the help of elected officials got it removed. I think it should have stayed on Avenue K. The difference this time is that DOT and the MTA won't listen if the residents protest this time.

It was on Nov 12, 1978 when the B50 started and it ran on Avenue K for about three weeks or three months, I am not sure. The residents of Avenue K protested and with the help of elected officials got it removed. I think it should have stayed on Avenue K. The difference this time is that DOT and the MTA won't listen if the residents protest this time.

I mean, anyone who was old enough and had time to protest in 1978 is also probably long gone by now... It's almost four decades now.

With the rockaway sbs and the fact they are going to get island bus stops, they better be smart and put barriers or bollards in as wide as the bus door area just like in LA cause once a car drives into the bus stop it's all over 

found this on wiki credit goes to someone called metro96

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Harbor_Freeway_Metro_Green_%26_Silver_Lines_Station-_Picture_1.JPG

I think you're trying to insult Interested Rider, BrooklynBus, and myself, lol. I forgive you.

I guess to clarify what I mean without being insulting, a lot has changed since 1978. I'd find it hard to believe that any neighborhood looks or feels the same way since way back when, and that the residents have the same objections or the same feelings about things back then.

I guess to clarify what I mean without being insulting, a lot has changed since 1978. I'd find it hard to believe that any neighborhood looks or feels the same way since way back when, and that the residents have the same objections or the same feelings about things back then.

I doubt it if anyone at the MTA even realizes the route is nice used Avenue K. They probably just looked at the map and thought it was a good idea without knowing the history.

The DOT tents are up under the Kings Highway (B)(Q) station, with people explaining SBS and collecting emails for the mailing list.

I wish they were there yesterday. I took the B7 from Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue at around 2:30. The trip took 15 minutes for ten blocks. There was a B82 SBS right behind us that never passed us. I would have asked them how SBS would have made that trip faster.

I doubt it if anyone at the MTA even realizes the route is nice used Avenue K. They probably just looked at the map and thought it was a good idea without knowing the history.

I wish they were there yesterday. I took the B7 from Coney Island Avenue to Ocean Avenue at around 2:30. The trip took 15 minutes for ten blocks. There was a B82 SBS right behind us that never passed us. I would have asked them how SBS would have made that trip faster.

B82 SBS?

With Kings Highway congestion there's no way to get past the traffic woes. I'd rather walk the ten blocks than to wait for a B7 or B82 limited.

With Kings Highway congestion there's no way to get past the traffic woes. I'd rather walk the ten blocks than to wait for a B7 or B82 limited.

I would have walked if my back was not hurting. Since there is no way to get past the traffic woes, SBS on Kings Highway names no sense. It should run on Avenue P as a new route or not run at all. SBS supposed to be fast. If it can't be, then it is just a fancy name without any effectiveness.