Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

Gotcha!! I see your POV! And with the MTA touting SBS as true BRT as well. So what did they think was going to happen by not properly balancing service on local runs? People were just going to walk to SBS stops instead? Or did they count on more new people using the service then actually came? I kinda see what your talking about out here. I walked to Nostand about a week ago now that you say I did notice this type of pattern on the B44 with tons of SBS and like one local. What other routes are being affected in this way you think? Bx41? 12?

Less buses, less stops, more people having to get to less stops (along the route), more money in the longrun being saved..... I strongly believe when it is all said & done with SBS, there will be significantly less stops buses will be making system-wide..... Local service would likely be a thing of the past..... The MTA has an extensive history of robbing peter to pay paul (so to speak) & that would be the ultimate form of it.... I'd like to believe that the MTA isn't that draconian & diabolical, but who cares about feeeeee-liiings when you're trying to save a buck... Cut-throat world.

I get the sense that they were not only counting on ridership (from those taking LTD's) remaining the same, but newfound ridership to come pouring in as well.... Part of that to be quote-unquote converts from local to SBS, but the rest of it to have been this latent ridership that just couldn't wait to start taking buses that were initially promised to be much faster/save some bloated percentage of time (over the LTD's) per rider, with signal priority to boot.... So to your first string of questions, well, I'd say Both.....

The most egregious imbalance of SBS' to locals isn't happening on the Bx12 & the Bx41.... Remember, SBS inaugurated on the Bx12, so for them to have B46'd local service (lol) on the Bx12 local would not have gotten as favorable an impression of the (then) new service back in 2008 (IINM).... Then when they put it on the M15, they started taking more local service away (compared to the Bx12).... And the next route they put SBS on, the concept of local service was eliminated completely (the route became SBS only) - of course I'm talking about the M16/34; currently known as the M34/34a.... I've heard far more (and differing) complaints about bus service along 34th st after the fact, than I ever heard before the fact.... You've always heard that buses were slow, but you're not hearing about just the sluggishness of buses these days - digitally putting arrival indicators at the bus shelters had a lot to do with that..... Anyway, right afterward came the S79, which is where I think they should have stopped w/ SBS, but of course that wasn't going to happen.... And then the service making its inauguration here in Brooklyn, had not only local service seeing noticeably less service (compared to the Bx12 & M15), but a diversion of the physical bus route to make things work.... When the MTA (as my brother would say) "went mad" with making SBS work on the B44, I "went mad" with my criticism of SBS.....

Things aren't too bad w/ the balance of locals to SBS' on the Bx41, but what I didn't like about its implementation on that route, was the crap that was pre-planned to get things rolling (the Bx39/Bx41 terminal swap; which has Bx39's running to Wakefield instead of the Bx41 & which has Bx41's ending at Gun Hill rd/WPR instead of the Bx39)..... You could make the case that Bx41SBS is actually taking riders off the (2) (which the Bx41 LTD did, but not to the same extent)....

If I ignore the terminal swap (which is pretty hard to, but for discussion's sake), the S79 & the Bx41 IMO are the two best implementations of SBS.... I'm not sure if it's any co-incidence or not, but both Brooklyn routes (B44 & B46) have had the worst implementations of SBS - and it isn't all that close..... But let's see if they can top it with SBS along Woodhaven/Cross Bay.....

stay tuned.....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Less buses, less stops, more people having to get to less stops (along the route), more money in the longrun being saved..... I strongly believe when it is all said & done with SBS, there will be significantly less stops buses will be making system-wide..... Local service would likely be a thing of the past..... The MTA has an extensive history of robbing peter to pay paul (so to speak) & that would be the ultimate form of it.... I'd like to believe that the MTA isn't that draconian & diabolical, but who cares about feeeeee-liiings when you're trying to save a buck... Cut-throat world.

I get the sense that they were not only counting on ridership (from those taking LTD's) remaining the same, but newfound ridership to come pouring in as well.... Part of that to be quote-unquote converts from local to SBS, but the rest of it to have been this latent ridership that just couldn't wait to start taking buses that were initially promised to be much faster/save some bloated percentage of time (over the LTD's) per rider, with signal priority to boot.... So to your first string of questions, well, I'd say Both.....

The most egregious imbalance of SBS' to locals isn't happening on the Bx12 & the Bx41.... Remember, SBS inaugurated on the Bx12, so for them to have B46'd local service (lol) on the Bx12 local would not have gotten as favorable an impression of the (then) new service back in 2008 (IINM).... Then when they put it on the M15, they started taking more local service away (compared to the Bx12).... And the next route they put SBS on, the concept of local service was eliminated completely (the route became SBS only) - of course I'm talking about the M16/34; currently known as the M34/34a.... I've heard far more (and differing) complaints about bus service along 34th st after the fact, than I ever heard before the fact.... You've always heard that buses were slow, but you're not hearing about just the sluggishness of buses these days - digitally putting arrival indicators at the bus shelters had a lot to do with that..... Anyway, right afterward came the S79, which is where I think they should have stopped w/ SBS, but of course that wasn't going to happen.... And then the service making its inauguration here in Brooklyn, had not only local service seeing noticeably less service (compared to the Bx12 & M15), but a diversion of the physical bus route to make things work.... When the MTA (as my brother would say) "went mad" with making SBS work on the B44, I "went mad" with my criticism of SBS.....

Things aren't too bad w/ the balance of locals to SBS' on the Bx41, but what I didn't like about its implementation on that route, was the crap that was pre-planned to get things rolling (the Bx39/Bx41 terminal swap; which has Bx39's running to Wakefield instead of the Bx41 & which has Bx41's ending at Gun Hill rd/WPR instead of the Bx39)..... You could make the case that Bx41SBS is actually taking riders off the (2) (which the Bx41 LTD did, but not to the same extent)....

If I ignore the terminal swap (which is pretty hard to, but for discussion's sake), the S79 & the Bx41 IMO are the two best implementations of SBS.... I'm not sure if it's any co-incidence or not, but both Brooklyn routes (B44 & B46) have had the worst implementations of SBS - and it isn't all that close..... But let's see if they can top it with SBS along Woodhaven/Cross Bay.....

stay tuned.....

I've used the Bx41SBS, and I think the line benefits from the fact that traffic really isn't an issue until you reach the area around Fordham Road, as parts of Webster move well overall, so even though the local is slow (makes too many damn stops), it still moves from a traffic standpoint. The S79 has a similar set up in terms of it being able to move well without too much traffic interfering. Some of the other SBS routes aren't as lucky. The M34 is just awful. The (MTA) is basically treating the M34 and M34A as one route and running it on crappy headways. In addition to that, traffic West of 5th Avenue is awful, and the bus lanes are useless since they aren't enforced, so I generally try not to use it unless there's a bus there because the waits are just too long. It seems as if I rarely get one quickly and when I check BusTime, there are only a handful of buses on each branch, so I usually just walk to whatever express bus I'm trying to get. That's likely one big reason the service hasn't been as successful as it should be. It's like they are purposely being frugal with service along that corridor and I find it really annoying. If the whole point of SBS is to improve service overall, then take some of the damn savings and run more service.

I've used the Bx41SBS, and I think the line benefits from the fact that traffic really isn't an issue until you reach the area around Fordham Road, as parts of Webster move well overall, so even though the local is slow (makes too many damn stops), it still moves from a traffic standpoint. The S79 has a similar set up in terms of it being able to move well without too much traffic interfering. Some of the other SBS routes aren't as lucky. The M34 is just awful. The (MTA) is basically treating the M34 and M34A as one route and running it on crappy headways. In addition to that, traffic West of 5th Avenue is awful, and the bus lanes are useless since they aren't enforced, so I generally try not to use it unless there's a bus there because the waits are just too long. It seems as if I rarely get one quickly and when I check BusTime, there are only a handful of buses on each branch, so I usually just walk to whatever express bus I'm trying to get. That's likely one big reason the service hasn't been as successful as it should be. It's like they are purposely being frugal with service along that corridor and I find it really annoying. If the whole point of SBS is to improve service overall, then take some of the damn savings and run more service.

. The Crosstown routes I don't see how you can compare them to other SBS routes. They don't have local and SBS variations that changes the equation a bit what are you basing this off of? Did they lower headways with M34/M16 conversion into SBS? If an addition of a bus lane and off board fare collection didn't make it better shrugs?. How much did they cut service and which route? 34 or 34/A?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

. The Crosstown routes I don't see how you can compare them to other SBS routes. They don't have local and SBS variations that changes the equation a bit what are you basing this off of? Did they lower headways with M34/M16 conversion into SBS? If an addition of a bus lane and off board fare collection didn't make it better shrugs?. How much did they cut service and which route? 34 or 34/A?

SBS is SBS. Adding bus lanes that aren't enforced is pointless, be it a crosstown route or a north-south route.

SBS is SBS. Adding bus lanes that aren't enforced is pointless, be it a crosstown route or a north-south route.

Okay I'm confused what did the M34/16 do before the bus lane? Your saying it takes longer to load a bus now than it did waiting for every single person to pay one at a time? So service didn't improve at all with the crosstown routes?. Now the SBS pulling from local service on other routes I can see that. The Math shows someone's getting the short end of the stick as B35 and others pointed out . How's is that the case with M34 or M86?

Okay I'm confused what did the M34/16 do before the bus lane? Your saying it takes longer to load a bus now than it did waiting for every single person to pay one at a time? So service didn't improve at all with the crosstown routes?. Now the SBS pulling from local service on other routes I can see that. The Math shows someone's getting the short end of the stick as B35 and others pointed out . How's is that the case with M34 or M86?

Where did I say anything about it taking longer to board??? All I said was that the bus lanes aren't enforced. What did the M16/M34 do before? They sat in traffic. Now they sit in traffic because of the bus lanes being blocked. When they aren't blocked, they move ok, provided there isn't a traffic back up, since they are sharing the bus lane with other buses along parts of 34th Street.

Some have called for 34th Street being completely carless and I agree with that, especially between 5th and 8th Avenue. That's where traffic is the worst and where buses tend to drag along the line, particularly if away an NYPD car is sitting in the bus lane.

Where did I say anything about it taking longer to board??? All I said was that the bus lanes aren't enforced. What did the M16/M34 do before? They sat in traffic. Now they sit in traffic because of the bus lanes being blocked. When they aren't blocked, they move ok, provided there isn't a traffic back up, since they are sharing the bus lane with other buses along parts of 34th Street.

Some have called for 34th Street being completely carless and I agree with that, especially between 5th and 8th Avenue. That's where traffic is the worst and where buses tend to drag along the line, particularly if away an NYPD car is sitting in the bus lane.

That was the original proposal, which also called for a good chunk of express buses to use it as a 'trunk' route. I believe the main reasons why it died were the residents on the eastern portion of 34th St who didn't want to walk to the avenues to catch a cab (lol) and opposition from Macy's because they didn't want any interference with that parade that doesn't happen 364 days out of the year.

That was the original proposal, which also called for a good chunk of express buses to use it as a 'trunk' route. I believe the main reasons why it died were the residents on the eastern portion of 34th St who didn't want to walk to the avenues to catch a cab (lol) and opposition from Macy's because they didn't want any interference with that parade that doesn't happen 364 days out of the year.

Macy's is a joke... They should re-visit that proposal down the road.

So service is better to some degree on 34th then. You didn't have a buslane before at all. I get it, it should be enforced. But even if the bus lane usable 4/10 times it's still better. I'm asking because I got the feeling that you were saying service was worse on 34th street.

Edited by RailRunRob

So service is better to some degree on 34th then. You didn't have a buslane before at all. I get it, it should be enforced. But even if the bus lane usable 4/10 times it's still better. I'm asking because I got the feeling that you were saying service was worse on 34th street.

In a way it is because of the gaps in service. They used to use 40 footers and then went to artics, and apparently cut back on frequencies. I assume they didn't count on buses getting stuck in traffic with the lanes, which accounts for the gaps more times than not.

Oh, don't be fooled/misinformed.... Just because you have routes that were fully converted to SBS doesn't mean they don't come with their own set of problems.... With the M34/M16, the effects of lost service along 34th were cumulative.... On the shared portion of the 2 routes (b/w 2nd & 8th), you had a bus (either an M16 or an M34) running something like every 4-5 mins during the rush.... Now, SBS's are running at about half that frequency....

Thank god for artics, I guess :(

Overall problem with buses citywide... It's a reason I put zero - and I do mean ZERO stock in bus lanes in NYC.... As a driver, I hate the fact I have to (not) consider a lane of traffic being a law abiding citizen, while I see drivers that giving no fux whatsoever just blazing past me.... Remember the merrie melodies cartoons where they'd have characters turning into asses (the actual animal) & writing SUCKER across it, as they're ran too far off a cliff? Well that's how I feel when I see that....

To tell the truth, at times, it makes me feel like saying f*** it - but of course, that'll be the time I get nailed by some enforcement officer...

What did the M16/M34 do before? They sat in traffic.....

LMAO!

Edited by B35 via Church

The thing with the S79 is that the people generally respect the bus lanes (not sure whether it's because there's good enforcement or if people don't think it's worth risking a ticket if they're going to end up sitting behind a stopped bus anyway). I've very rarely seen cars in the bus lane, but at the same time I haven't seen any enforcement along Hylan Blvd. In any case, there have been times where there's a wall of traffic, but the bus is just coasting through on Hylan.

I will say when I take the X17J in the morning, it's really annoying that the patrol car blocks the bus lane. But I find that it generally doesn't cost that much time (but then again, it's a different story on the express bus because the B/O usually just lets us out if he misses the light). 

Oh, don't be fooled/misinformed.... Just because you have routes that were fully converted to SBS doesn't mean they don't come with their own set of problems.... With the M34/M16, the effects of lost service along 34th were cumulative.... On the shared portion of the 2 routes (b/w 2nd & 8th), you had a bus (either an M16 or an M34) running something like every 4-5 mins during the rush.... Now, SBS's are running at about half that frequency....

...and people thought I was crazy when I said they should keep artics off the M34/34A....

I will say that whenever I've been to a Community Board meeting and the subject of artics comes up, I make sure to let everybody know that artics means less frequent service, and especially on the frequencies a lot of bus routes run on out here in SI, we can't afford to have headways cut. My answer to overcrowding on routes out here is always to run more frequent service. (I remember at one meeting another resident said "Well, he has a point about more frequent service, but I think artics could work on some routes like the S93 at certain times", and I'm like "Nope, no artics whatsoever. The S93 (at that time) runs every 30 minutes during midday and is overcrowded. When you add service and get below 10 minute headways, then get back to me". You want to call me a NIMBY because I'm against artics out here go right ahead lol

The thing with the S79 is that the people generally respect the bus lanes (not sure whether it's because there's good enforcement or if people don't think it's worth risking a ticket if they're going to end up sitting behind a stopped bus anyway). I've very rarely seen cars in the bus lane, but at the same time I haven't seen any enforcement along Hylan Blvd. In any case, there have been times where there's a wall of traffic, but the bus is just coasting through on Hylan.

I will say when I take the X17J in the morning, it's really annoying that the patrol car blocks the bus lane. But I find that it generally doesn't cost that much time (but then again, it's a different story on the express bus because the B/O usually just lets us out if he misses the light). 

The main reason folks on Staten Island don't bother with the lane is because they don't want to be stuck behind a bus.  There was all sorts of talk about the difficulty of turning and so on. 

Overall problem with buses citywide... It's a reason I put zero - and I do mean ZERO stock in bus lanes in NYC.... As a driver, I hate the fact I have to (not) consider a lane of traffic being a law abiding citizen, while I see drivers that giving no fux whatsoever just blazing past me.... Remember the merrie melodies cartoons where they'd have characters turning into asses (the actual animal) & writing SUCKER across it, as they're ran too far off a cliff? Well that's how I feel when I see that....

To tell the truth, at times, it makes me feel like saying f*** it - but of course, that'll be the time I get nailed by some enforcement officer...

LMAO!

I never studied the schedule to be honest, but that's the impression that I got. When they first started SBS service on the M34, I hated it because they used those little 40 footers.  The line needed the artics because those buses were insanely crowded.  At the same time, the headways now are so abysmal that I rarely use the bus along 34th unless I have to.  I've often times walked to my destination and the M34 can still be stuck in traffic.  I don't know how the (MTA) will try to spin the M34 because as far as I'm concerned it's been a failure.  I have used it sometimes late at night to go from say 8th Avenue to 3rd to get the BxM1, and even then the traffic between 8th and 5th can be insane (we're talking past 23:00).  That's even more of a reason why having the bus lanes enforced would help, because then the bus is just sitting in traffic, just like it did before.  The off-board set up helps but that's about the only benefit. I don't think any intersection along 34th street has traffic signal priority, and what I also don't understand is why signal priority is only used at select lights? For example, I recall reading somewhere that the M15 has signal priority below East Houston street, which is actually the fastest part of the route.  When I shop at Whole Foods down along Houston, and get a M15 up to the BxM1, that bus flies, especially later on in the evening. I suppose the prolonged lights is part of the reason.

stay tuned.....

A route like the BX12 is actually a great candidate for SBS, it's that it just need a dispatcher on each end to make sure that the buses are making the frequencies and are not bunching. M15 SBS has a 3min frequency during the AM rush which is better than most trains in the morning so it really seems as they wanna push the M15 as own Subway line. The Q44 can only work if there are 4 dispatchers (1 at each end and 2 at Flushing) with the removal of the stopover at Flushing for both the Q20 and Q44.

Also SBS would be better if you can pay of the bus as well as buy a ticket, the operator just prints a nullified transfer (Says Roue and direction but doesn't work on other buses) that acts as your ticket. that'll save the time B/O's have to wait for late passengers who are printing tickets from the machine.

M34 only works in the morning ... that's it. 

M34 only works in the morning ... that's it. 

I very much disagree. That M34 tends to be pretty good during both rush hours. It just gets bad after 8pm in my opinion.

The M23, in my opinion, is the worst of the Crosstown SBS routes.

I very much disagree. That M34 tends to be pretty good during both rush hours. It just gets bad after 8pm in my opinion.

I thought someone said it had improved since it received the SBS designation? I have yet to use it since I always walk when I'm on 23rd.

I thought someone said it had improved since it received the SBS designation? I have yet to use it since I always walk when I'm on 23rd.

During the rush, it's good. Buses are packed and it runs frequently. Good sign of usage.

However, because of work, I tend to use it between the hours of 6pm and 10pm. The wait tends to be longer, and sometimes the buses comes in twos. It tends to not be as frequent during the off-peak hours compared to the M34, where that tends to run consistently, mostly because of its two branches(except after 9pm).

I've neev

r had much luck with the M24 after PM rush ... to much traffic. Morning traffic seem to never be as bad as evening traffic, it it seem to be a city wide issue.