Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

I feel like a broken record for the last 9 years when I say this lol.

Articulated buses have a tighter turning radius than their rigid (40 foot) counterparts.

XN60's are going on the B35 as well and their are some crazy right turns in that route.

You think that the XN60s for MTA are getting the shaker tests by now?

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think that the XN60s for MTA are getting the shaker tests by now?

Seeing as they are built just like the XD60's just with a different CG, I don't think one was required. 1000 should be coming off the assembly line in short order. Audit inspection is set to begin next month, and 1000-1004 are scheduled for delivery in September.

Seeing as they are built just like the XD60's just with a different CG, I don't think one was required. 1000 should be coming off the assembly line in short order. Audit inspection is set to begin next month, and 1000-1004 are scheduled for delivery in September.

Damn ENY, those OG Oranges are right by the boot.

With the exception of the best buses for reserve, and Bus Company, the entire Orion VII CNG fleet will be retired by the time 1109 comes in.

Damn MTA really relies on them Orions despite how soon their tanks will expire.

There are several things going on here that make it not that easy.

1. Reroutes. If trains are rerouted unexpectedly, they have station staff and PA systems to inform people already on the platforms. No such infrastructure exists at every single bus stop, and assuming everyone is going to check an app or Twitter for a bus diversion they may not even be aware of is simply not realistic. Also, rerouting to the next avenue down the grid may not work, because odds are that every other driver is doing the exact same thing.

2. Short turns. What is the MTA going to tell the riders? Hoof it through 20 blocks because the bus is gonna get stuck in traffic?

I was talking about very severe congestion when nothing is moving. The MTA has a communications system and if every avenue is blocked (especially when there are bus routes on all the avenues) they would know about it and if that is the case they obviously would not instruct drivers to reroute. But if the situation is localized, they certainly can reroute. The same is true for short turns. It may not be a mile. But which is better, keeping some passengers moving and telling the others to hoof it, nor not moving anyone at all? You seem to believe it is the latter. As far as missing some bus stops and keeping some people waiting for the bus while moving others, the same people would still be kept waiting if buses are not moving at all or moving at one or two mph.

I was talking about very severe congestion when nothing is moving. The MTA has a communications system and if every avenue is blocked (especially when there are bus routes on all the avenues) they would know about it and if that is the case they obviously would not instruct drivers to reroute. But if the situation is localized, they certainly can reroute. The same is true for short turns. It may not be a mile. But which is better, keeping some passengers moving and telling the others to hoof it, nor not moving anyone at all? You seem to believe it is the latter. As far as missing some bus stops and keeping some people waiting for the bus while moving others, the same people would still be kept waiting if buses are not moving at all or moving at one or two mph.

They are equivalent solutions, since they both fail to get passengers where they are going, except the former is actually even worse, since the MTA has no way of informing anyone at bus stops that buses will not be making stops due to short turns and reroutes, and you end up stranding passengers who have no way of knowing that they need to walk to another bus stop to get service.

The real solution is to give buses lanes to avoid systematic traffic trouble spots, not to throw up hands in the air and fail to deliver normal, regularly scheduled service.

They are equivalent solutions, since they both fail to get passengers where they are going, except the former is actually even worse, since the MTA has no way of informing anyone at bus stops that buses will not be making stops due to short turns and reroutes, and you end up stranding passengers who have no way of knowing that they need to walk to another bus stop to get service.

The real solution is to give buses lanes to avoid systematic traffic trouble spots, not to throw up hands in the air and fail to deliver normal, regularly scheduled service.

Yeah but in a city like New York you got narrow streets that can't accomodate bus lanes, if parking is taken away people complain even if it's rush hours only, Community opposition would shoot a plan with a single bullet, just like how Macy's shot down the 34th St Busway because it would interfere with their Thanksgiving day crap which is only once a year, Q44 only got bus lanes for a short section in Flushing because community opposed for loss of parking. Do not even get me started on the Road Block of NYC, Staten Island the most annoying borough in the city which is never conformed with anything. The @holes that shut off the Blue +SBS+ lights, the ones who made it a complete Satanary to add bus lanes on Hylan Boulevard, the ones who opposed off board payment on the S79 +SBS+, the one's who complained about an ADA Compliance alarm at a Bus Stop, the ones who begged for +SBS+ because they were feeling left out from the rest of NYC, as well as opposing off board payment even though it was required to do so to make the S79 real +SBS+ The ones who complained over a closing bridge that crossed from both sides of the SIR, the ones who find it offensive to repave a road without their own consultations. That borough is a complete fatal existence, anything bothers them, everything is inconvenient and unnecessary, Staten Island is the challenge of uniformity in NYC because their horrific satanic mouths have to nickel and dime everything they see being proposed or worked on, Screw that borough, and these are the challenges that has to be gone through to get something workin'

Do not even get me started on the Road Block of NYC, Staten Island the most annoying borough in the city which is never conformed with anything. The @holes that shut off the Blue +SBS+ lights, the ones who made it a complete Satanary to add bus lanes on Hylan Boulevard, the ones who opposed off board payment on the S79 +SBS+, the one's who complained about an ADA Compliance alarm at a Bus Stop, the ones who begged for +SBS+ because they were feeling left out from the rest of NYC, as well as opposing off board payment even though it was required to do so to make the S79 real +SBS+ The ones who complained over a closing bridge that crossed from both sides of the SIR, the ones who find it offensive to repave a road without their own consultations. That borough is a complete fatal existence, anything bothers them, everything is inconvenient and unnecessary, Staten Island is the challenge of uniformity in NYC because their horrific satanic mouths have to nickel and dime everything they see being proposed or worked on, Screw that borough, and these are the challenges that has to be gone through to get something workin'

"Satanic mouths"  :lol: This one went IN!

"Satanic mouths" [emoji38] This one went IN!

It's true, they have toxic bombs in their mouths that screw up everything, guess how long it took for the MTA to find a solution to replace the blue +SBS+ lights, they also opposed off board payment because the fare machines would "occupy sidewalk space", as well as them wanting to profit off the Bayonne bridge construction, preventing the DOT from shutting down a deteriorating bridge over the SIR which they deserve for it to collapse just over a 6 month rehab of a frickin pedestrian bridge, I just can't I quit with that borough, they're just the hole of New York City

Yeah but in a city like New York you got narrow streets that can't accomodate bus lanes, if parking is taken away people complain even if it's rush hours only, Community opposition would shoot a plan with a single bullet, just like how Macy's shot down the 34th St Busway because it would interfere with their Thanksgiving day crap which is only once a year, Q44 only got bus lanes for a short section in Flushing because community opposed for loss of parking. Do not even get me started on the Road Block of NYC, Staten Island the most annoying borough in the city which is never conformed with anything. The @holes that shut off the Blue +SBS+ lights, the ones who made it a complete Satanary to add bus lanes on Hylan Boulevard, the ones who opposed off board payment on the S79 +SBS+, the one's who complained about an ADA Compliance alarm at a Bus Stop, the ones who begged for +SBS+ because they were feeling left out from the rest of NYC, as well as opposing off board payment even though it was required to do so to make the S79 real +SBS+ The ones who complained over a closing bridge that crossed from both sides of the SIR, the ones who find it offensive to repave a road without their own consultations. That borough is a complete fatal existence, anything bothers them, everything is inconvenient and unnecessary, Staten Island is the challenge of uniformity in NYC because their horrific satanic mouths have to nickel and dime everything they see being proposed or worked on, Screw that borough, and these are the challenges that has to be gone through to get something workin'

Staten Islanders didn't oppose off-board payment...ridership levels didn't warrant the need for off-board payment.

I feel like MJQ will end up being the 1st +SBS+ Only route if things keep going at this pace...

Word in the depot is that the SBS 86 will be moved to quill in exchange for the M31. Let's see if it plays out

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Not debunking the rumor, but how would that happen if the M31 isn't fully artic and no regular 40 fters were in operation since 2014?

The 31 not being artic has nothing to do with it. When the new year begins, they may send hybrids back over to TU

And take some of the sbs Novas from TU in exchange.

I've been hearing this the last few months and even from the superiors that it may happen.

Again, don't hold any breath.

There are currently 32 runs on the sbs86 and 34 on the M31

As far as employees, it should be almost an even trade. Buses? That's a different scenario and might be more complicated with storage and placement of the Novas.

The 31 not being artic has nothing to do with it. When the new year begins, they may send hybrids back over to TU

And take some of the sbs Novas from TU in exchange.

I've been hearing this the last few months and even from the superiors that it may happen.

Again, don't hold any breath.

There are currently 32 runs on the sbs86 and 34 on the M31

As far as employees, it should be almost an even trade. Buses? That's a different scenario and might be more complicated with storage and placement of the Novas.

OK I get it now. Just wanted some clarification since I was a bit confused.

Word in the depot is that the SBS 86 will be moved to quill in exchange for the M31. Let's see if it plays out

Which could mean more strange swaps to the Bronx and possibly Flatbush if this rumor holds true. But definitely Manhattan and Bronx swaps.

Staten Islanders didn't oppose off-board payment...ridership levels didn't warrant the need for off-board payment.

More precisely, the crowds at each stop didn't warrant the need for off-board payment (the S79 is roughly in the same ballpark as the M34/34A +SBS+ in terms of ridership). Other than 86th & 4th and maybe the mall stops, most of the stops only have a few people getting on a particular bus (a few meaning that it generally doesn't hold up the bus much)

The S79 runs very well overall IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Q52/53 SBS: Ok, as of right now, unless things change, LG is stated to borrow 13-14 buses out of this current order in delivery, and up to 40 of TA's buses coming of the option. This should also allow time for the Nova's to come in on the base order. Options aren't anytime soon for that order.

This will also allow for the new SBS service to move forward as planned. MTA and the DOT are on a VERY tight schedule right now and may end up running right up to launch date this fall getting everything prepared.

Q52/53 SBS: Ok, as of right now, unless things change, LG is stated to borrow 13-14 buses out of this current order in delivery, and up to 40 of TA's buses coming of the option. This should also allow time for the Nova's to come in on the base order. Options aren't anytime soon for that order.

Are the option buses coming in on the heels of the evens? That's the only way I could see the Q52/53 SBS start on time...