Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

There is a code update for the Q5 +Select Bus but it's only on certain buses out of Queens depots.

Q5 or Q52/Q53? For them to put Q5 +Select Bus on "certain" buses makes no sense considering that buses are updated promptly. They would already be in Jamaica's buses if that's the case.

Edited by Cait Sith

sbs q52 pick is out and it starts on 11/12/17. From the looks of things the first bus from beach54 is at 6am and the return will be at 7:25am that Sunday. Weekdays first bus is 5am and return is 6:10am.  Considering that 18 out of the 23 weekday runs have no weekends off couple with low pay hours it’s not really a tempting assignment.  I’ll pass

4 hours ago, Rafa said:

sbs q52 pick is out and it starts on 11/12/17. From the looks of things the first bus from beach54 is at 6am and the return will be at 7:25am that Sunday. Weekdays first bus is 5am and return is 6:10am.  Considering that 18 out of the 23 weekday runs have no weekends off couple with low pay hours it’s not really a tempting assignment.  I’ll pass

how many peak busses?

On 10/12/2017 at 3:52 PM, Cait Sith said:

Q5 or Q52/Q53? For them to put Q5 +Select Bus on "certain" buses makes no sense considering that buses are updated promptly. They would already be in Jamaica's buses if that's the case.

On 10/12/2017 at 6:37 PM, Lawrence St said:

Q5. It's on the updated code sheet yet when I went to go put it in the Luminator Control Moduel it just showed up as a limited, yet my friend put it in his bus (which is a Queens bus) and it showed up as an Select.

This is actually correct, and both of you are actually correct, and as of today ALL the signs should be updated with all pending SBS routes as well as planned routes. Which includes the Q5.

Edited by East New York

49 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I want to know is what's up with Select Bus riders who wait until the last minute to get a damn ticket? If you're getting on the bus, get the ticket then and there.

Usually they want to see whether or not a local will show up before the Select does. Since some local drivers don't cross-honor SBS tickets, it sorta makes sense.

56 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

What I want to know is what's up with Select Bus riders who wait until the last minute to get a damn ticket? If you're getting on the bus, get the ticket then and there.

What's the last minute? With the Bx12 I don't get my ticket until I can see the bus approaching the stop i'm getting on at. I have yet to miss a bus getting a ticket with the bus 1 minute or less away. On a side note, a third ticket machine should be added to the Fordham Plaza stop in both directions.

25 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Usually they want to see whether or not a local will show up before the Select does. Since some local drivers don't cross-honor SBS tickets, it sorta makes sense.

12 minutes ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

What's the last minute? With the Bx12 I don't get my ticket until I can see the bus approaching the stop i'm getting on at. I have yet to miss a bus getting a ticket with the bus 1 minute or less away. On a side note, a third ticket machine should be added to the Fordham Plaza stop in both directions.

If you arrive before the bus is due why wait until the bus is coming? Then everyone is scrambling to get a ticket. People do the same nonsense with the local bus and express bus. It annoys me to no end. They want to be the first  ones on the damn bus and then they don't have their Metrocard out, or they pay with a thousand coins. I just don't understand people's logic. Even with the local or the SBS Bx12, I would get my ticket. The driver is supposed to honor the ticket. If they don't I would give it to them and keep it moving. I also don't understand the (MTA)Such poor training of drivers. It's like each driver thinks they're supposed to have their own set of rules.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

A lot of people wait for the select bus  to show up on the  B/44 pole before buying their ticket as if only the local is listed on the pole, it makes no sense to buy the ticket as the local  will come before the SBS. What I see as well is the ones that wait until they see the bus is 1-2 blocks away and then run to the machine to buy the ticket along with a dozen other people. The problem we have here is that the rider does not know what is at the terminal that may be ready to pull out from there. What i do is I buy my ticket regardless of what the sign says as I have a good idea as to what time the bus will come and there are many who do that if they know when the next bus is due at the stop.

2 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

A lot of people wait for the select bus  to show up on the  B/44 pole before buying their ticket as if only the local is listed on the pole, it makes no sense to buy the ticket as the local  will come before the SBS. What I see as well is the ones that wait until they see the bus is 1-2 blocks away and then run to the machine to buy the ticket along with a dozen other people. The problem we have here is that the rider does not know what is at the terminal that may be ready to pull out from there. What i do is I buy my ticket regardless of what the sign says as I have a good idea as to what time the bus will come and there are many who do that if they know when the next bus is due at the stop.

Local or not, customers should get their ticket in advance and local bus drivers should be cross-honoring.

As a Bus Operator we are suppose to honor the sbs tickets on local buses. It is still considered as a paying fare method. At FB depot at the yard Dispatcher office there are memo sign posted for the sbs tickets to be accepted on the local routes.

Delaying Service without having your fare ready:

One of the thing that really urks my nerves is whenever you arrive at a bus stop, and the passenger boarding the bus either is now looking for their metrocard or coins. Especially when passengers paying with coins, they start to drop one coin at a time just to make sure they pay the exact fare. You were suppose to have your fare ready while you were waiting on the bus.  Now you wonder why sometimes the service are behind service?....

47 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

As a Bus Operator we are suppose to honor the sbs tickets on local buses. It is still considered as a paying fare method. At FB depot at the yard Dispatcher office there are memo sign posted for the sbs tickets to be accepted on the local routes.

Delaying Service without having your fare ready:

One of the thing that really urks my nerves is whenever you arrive at a bus stop, and the passenger boarding the bus either is now looking for their metrocard or coins. Especially when passengers paying with coins, they start to drop one coin at a time just to make sure they pay the exact fare. You were suppose to have your fare ready while you were waiting on the bus.  Now you wonder why sometimes the service are behind service?....

I agree. Fares should be ready. On the same token,  we need a faster payment process and we need to get rid of coin payment. The machine gets jammed if too many coins are put in at once, so that's another reason some will drop one coin in at a time. Nevertheless, if we had one payment system without coins that would speed things up. Other countries have it. We have to stop trying to cater to every single person and get it together and create one easy payment system that can be accessible regardless of your income level or location. If you don't have a subway near you, that shouldn't determine how you pay your fare (or don't pay it).

On a side note, while we're talking about speeding up service, I can't stand it when a passenger is waiting at a stop where 2 or more routes stop, and they make no indication that the bus that's approaching isn't the route they want. For example, if I see an S59 and need an S44 specifically, I make sure to wave it off so the bus driver can keep it moving to get to the next stop. Instead, most of the time, they just stare blankly at the bus as if the B/O is supposed to read their mind.