Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

On a side note, while we're talking about speeding up service, I can't stand it when a passenger is waiting at a stop where 2 or more routes stop, and they make no indication that the bus that's approaching isn't the route they want. For example, if I see an S59 and need an S44 specifically, I make sure to wave it off so the bus driver can keep it moving to get to the next stop. Instead, most of the time, they just stare blankly at the bus as if the B/O is supposed to read their mind. 

Actually what I see more and more are passengers that do everything possible to make the driver believe they want the bus.  It's quite annoying.  I don't know if it's an attention thing or what, and some of them act like they've never used or seen a bus before.  Some of these people are regular riders who just like being obnoxious.  They will stand and look at the bus after the driver has committed to stopping to pick them up and then stare at the bus stop pole.  

They seem to believe that every bus should stop for them regardless of what bus it is. Yesterday there was an older man waiting at the stop with me at 158th and Grand Concourse.  Numerous Bx1 LTDs are passing by because they don't stop there.  Then a few Bx2s come and I don't make a move towards them since I wanted the BxM4. Later the elderly guy comes and sees a Bx1 LTD approaching. He tries feebly to wave the bus down with his cane and it passes by and he seems confused.  Then he looks at the bus stop and sees "Bx1 LTD" and then says out loud that the pole says that the bus should stop there (neglecting to read the actual timetable of course <_<). I completely ignored him since I knew he was just trying to make himself look as if he knew what he was talking about when he didn't.  Then a BxM4 comes and he goes standing up from the bench nearby. I look at him as if to say why are you getting up when you know damn well this isn't the bus you need?  Then he sits down.  

At the M79 stop at Amsterdam and 79th last night this lady had a whole conversation about the SBS machines and whether or not they were for the regular buses since she was apparently waiting for the M7 which also stops with the M79SBS. She's like yeah I've been seeing those machines around and I was wondering.  <_< I overhear the conversation and I'm saying to myself, how about you look at the machines and read then if you're so curious and confused? No, she would rather be lazy than do that.  Ignorance is bliss. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Actually what I see more and more are passengers that do everything possible to make the driver believe they want the bus.  It's quite annoying.  I don't know if it's an attention thing or what, and some of them act like they've never used or seen a bus before.  Some of these people are regular riders who just like being obnoxious.  The will stand and look at the bus after the driver has committed to stopping to pick them up and then stare at the bus stop pole.  

They seem to believe that every bus should stop for them regardless of what bus it is. Yesterday there was an older man waiting at the stop with me at 158th and Grand Concourse.  Numerous Bx1 LTDs are passing by because they don't stop there.  Then a few Bx2s come and I don't make a move towards them since I wanted the BxM4. Later the elderly guy comes and sees a Bx1 LTD approaching. He tries feebly to wave the bus down with his cane and it passes by and he seems confused.  Then he looks at the bus stop and sees "Bx1 LTD" and then says out loud that the pole says that the bus should stop there (neglecting to read the actual timetable of course <_<). I completely ignored him since I knew he was just trying to make himself look as if he knew what he was talking about when he didn't.  Then a BxM4 comes and he goes standing up from the bench nearby. I look at him as if to say why are you getting up when you know damn well this isn't the bus you need?  Then he sits down.  

At the M79 stop at Amsterdam and 79th last night this lady had a whole conversation about the SBS machines and whether or not they were for the regular buses since she was apparently waiting for the M7 which also stops with the M79SBS. She's like yeah I've been seeing those machines around and I was wondering.  <_< I overhear the conversation and I'm saying to myself, how about you look at the machines and read then if you're so curious and confused? No, she would rather be lazy than do that.  Ignorance is bliss. 

To be fair, if the sign did say "Bx1 LTD" instead of just "Bx1" then the buses should've stopped there since those were limited (I see the stop on Google Maps shows the local signage). In any case, I see your point but hey, hopefully he learned since the limiteds all passed him, and if not the system can survive with one less idiot riding it.

I remember a few times I've seen people turn down the S94 during the PM rush when they were waiting at a stop west of Jewett (the S44 short-turns at Jewett during the PM rush, and the S94 handles everything west of it). Matter of fact, I remember one time, they asked the B/O if the S44 stopped there, and the B/O just said yes and pulled off (I mean, yeah, that's true but they'll be waiting a while). The other times, I think they just stood there (and the S94 was the only bus at the stop, so they wouldn't have been waiting for another bus). 

Another time, before they converted a couple more S44 trips to S94 trips, a woman told the B/O she was waiting for the limited (As a matter of fact, I think his leader was the last limited). I mean, to be fair, the B/Os should at least know the service patterns of their routes and the times they operate so they can inform the passengers accordingly. Some are just so used to things operating a certain way that they don't think of these things (e.g. If that lady knew that limiteds were faster, she probably made the reasonable assumption that they operate at least until 8AM). 

4 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

To be fair, if the sign did say "Bx1 LTD" instead of just "Bx1" then the buses should've stopped there since those were limited (I see the stop on Google Maps shows the local signage). In any case, I see your point but hey, hopefully he learned since the limiteds all passed him, and if not the system can survive with one less idiot riding it.

I remember a few times I've seen people turn down the S94 during the PM rush when they were waiting at a stop west of Jewett (the S44 short-turns at Jewett during the PM rush, and the S94 handles everything west of it). Matter of fact, I remember one time, they asked the B/O if the S44 stopped there, and the B/O just said yes and pulled off (I mean, yeah, that's true but they'll be waiting a while). The other times, I think they just stood there (and the S94 was the only bus at the stop, so they wouldn't have been waiting for another bus). 

Another time, before they converted a couple more S44 trips to S94 trips, a woman told the B/O she was waiting for the limited (As a matter of fact, I think his leader was the last limited). I mean, to be fair, the B/Os should at least know the service patterns of their routes and the times they operate so they can inform the passengers accordingly. Some are just so used to things operating a certain way that they don't think of these things (e.g. If that lady knew that limiteds were faster, she probably made the reasonable assumption that they operate at least until 8AM). 

I think some onus belongs on the riders.  There are just too many lazy people out here who want their hand held, and I've reached a point to where I refuse to enable it.  There is really no excuse for it these days.  Years ago you could excuse it because timetables weren't always at every stop and signage wasn't that clear, but now you see timetables at just about every stop with the schedules and maps of each line, with SBS lines having even more detailed information and countdown clocks.  The easier the (MTA) makes things, the lazier people become.  Plenty of people have smartphones. They will use them for everything BUT their commute, and some simply think it's your job to tell them about their commute.  No no buddy, I am not a freaking information booth.  Take the time to read and help yourself instead of being lazy and expecting others to do things that you should be doing for yourself. It's one thing if people legitimately don't know and you usually can tell, but you have tourists that know more about the system than New Yorkers that use it daily.

2 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Looks like the Bx9 is up for SBS after all that and Bx19. 

Yep that surprised me a bit but at the same time with the way SBS is being implemented, almost any route could be SBS.

Quick rundown of each proposed route:

A. Broadway to Central Bronx (Bx9)

B. Gun Hill Road (Bx28 and possibly Bx38)

C. University Av (Bx3)

D. Tremont Av (Bx40 and possibly Bx42)

E. Harlem to Southern Blvd (Bx19)

F. Soundview to Washington Heights (Bx36)

G. Church Av (B35)

H. South Brooklyn east-west (B82; B6 could still be on the table)

I. Downtown Brooklyn to Ridgewood (Myrtle Avenue SBS)

J. Brooklyn Access to JFK (B15)

K. Flatbush Avenue (B41; likely Kings Plaza branch)

L. Manhattan Crosstown Routes
(multiple, including 14th Street; M14 and M96 seems to be proposed)

M. Ridgewood to Flushing (Q58)

N. Flushing to Springfield Boulevard (Q27)

O. Hillside Avenue (Q43 and maybe other routes as well)

Q. Northern Boulevard (Q66)
R Southeast Queens (multiple; Brewer and Merrick Blvd, which likely means Q5 and Q113/114)
S. Jamaica to Flushing (Q25)
T. Queens Access to JFK (Q10)
U. North Shore* (S40/90)
* North Shore BRT is currently being studied by the MTA. NYC DOT supports this effort.

2 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yep that surprised me a bit but at the same time with the way SBS is being implemented, almost any route could be SBS.

C. University Av (Bx3)

G. Church Av (B35)

R Southeast Queens (multiple; Brewer and Merrick Blvd, which likely means Q5 and Q113/114)
U. North Shore* (S40/90)
* North Shore BRT is currently being studied by the MTA. NYC DOT supports this effort.

The Bx19,Bx40/42 Q43,Q46,Q66 seem's the easiest to convert. The 28/38 needs it. The B15,Q58 and Bx36 I'd love to hear there plans for executing. 

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

C. University Av (Bx3)

G. Church Av (B35)

U. North Shore* (S40/90)

Forgot about P. Union Turnpike, which is the Q46.

Wouldn't the Bx9 SBS have to share Bx12's machines at the +Select stops? Seems like a recipe for fare beating to me. But then again, you'll still have to pay $2.75 to get the first ticket and you're not gonna bother swiping again unless you have to connect with the train at some point or just farebeat the whole trip altogether.

On 10/19/2017 at 6:43 AM, DueceDrives said:

As a Bus Operator we are suppose to honor the sbs tickets on local buses. It is still considered as a paying fare method. At FB depot at the yard Dispatcher office there are memo sign posted for the sbs tickets to be accepted on the local routes.

Delaying Service without having your fare ready:

One of the thing that really urks my nerves is whenever you arrive at a bus stop, and the passenger boarding the bus either is now looking for their metrocard or coins. Especially when passengers paying with coins, they start to drop one coin at a time just to make sure they pay the exact fare. You were suppose to have your fare ready while you were waiting on the bus.  Now you wonder why sometimes the service are behind service?....

It baffles me that despite having a memo posted up, some drivers still don't cross honor the Select tickets on local buses. I was waiting for a 44 Select by Nostrand/Church earlier this week to go to my AM classes and seeing that the next Select was all the way at  St John's Pl and a ticket already in hand, I decided on trying to board a local with a ticket for the first time but then the driver stopped and questioned me as to why i was using an SBS receipt to board his local bus.

I had no other source but the MTA website to explain the cross honoring situation to him but even then he kept saying that I'm only supposed to use the tickets on Select Buses only. He then told me I was holding him up and I subsequently kicked myself out of the bus then waited about 10 minutes for the Select to come by. Ironically i struck up a convo with a 44 Select driver about this and he said that Select tickets were supposed to be accepted on the locals.

Edited by RTSTdrive

6 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

I have two words: Holly Avenue.  There's no way the Q27 can be converted unless it's rerouted to Parsons Blvd between 46th and Sanford Avenues. Then the Q26 or Q65 can run on Kissena to replace the Q27.

One way operation on 45 and 46s has been a long time coming. Those roads are too narrow for two-way traffic for regular cars, damn it.

2 hours ago, JubaionBx12+SBS said:

So I guess the MTA thinks every high ridership route should be SBS. Wouldn't all door boarding coming in a couple years render this off-board stuff a bunch of nonsense?

Don't you know that Wasn't Invented HereTM, so it's irrelevant because New York is a special snowflake cause the MTA said so? /s

The Queens routes that are proposed for SBS have been discussed recently on the thread involving the Queens bus routes as have the problems with Holly Avenue and the Q/27. Personally I think that the suggestions on that thread make more sense for Queens as compared with SBS being implemented on  routes out there. The way I see it, SBS is an attempt to get federal funds for something that would be better done by improving traffic flow on narrow streets  where the buses are running and will continue to run even if SBS is implemented. SBS is not the cure all to improving bus service that is being toted as the best invention since sliced bread by the politicians and their friends. It is also a way to cut service on a route and this cut runs which has been done. There are other ways to do it and one of the ways (heaven forbid) is to deploy the traffic agents more often on the one lane in each direction streets where the bus routes operate but then the community will cry a river and their political friends will stop it right away by going to their friends. I see the agents in my area on a regular basis but I never see them when I venture up on the street where it is one lane in each direction.  

Just a comment on those riders who are what I call "stone monuments" who just stand there and every bus driver should stop at their beck and call even though they do not want the bus.  if I want the particular route,, I stick up my hand so the driver can see it and keep it up even if the bus is a block away. When I am standing at a bus stop where there are multiple routes and there is no one else waiting for the route that I do not want, I wave my hand to indicate to the driver that I do not want this bus. Let's face it as there are those of us who care and will indicate to the driver our intentions and those who live in another world who think that the bus driver has a Phd degree in mind reading. He/she do not want to hear from above that he/she missed a stop as it is the "stone monuments" who are usually heard first so the driver will make the stop anyway

19 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Wouldn't the Bx9 SBS have to share Bx12's machines at the +Select stops? Seems like a recipe for fare beating to me. But then again, you'll still have to pay $2.75 to get the first ticket and you're not gonna bother swiping again unless you have to connect with the train at some point or just farebeat the whole trip altogether.

I'm sure they'll keep the Bx9 and Bx12 stops separated. If anything, they'll move the Bx22 stops on Fordham Plaza away from the Bx9 and pair the 22 with the local Bx12.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:23 PM, danielhg121 said:

They can easily share a stop if anything. Both the M60 and Q70 share stops within the airport and the receipts say "LG00" instead of the individual route.

22 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

....Just a comment on those riders who are what I call "stone monuments" who just stand there and every bus driver should stop at their beck and call even though they do not want the bus.  if I want the particular route,, I stick up my hand so the driver can see it and keep it up even if the bus is a block away. When I am standing at a bus stop where there are multiple routes and there is no one else waiting for the route that I do not want, I wave my hand to indicate to the driver that I do not want this bus.

I'm not as bothered with that (as, say, CheckmateChamp is), but I see it as more of a nuisance than anything.... The problem I more have, is when ppl. use bus stops as temporary hangout spots (hate to say it, but it's usually the elderly that do this) - full knowing that they don't want any bus.....

As for making it known that I want the bus, I tend to walk as close to the curb as possible while waving my hand or w/e.... At times, when I'm the only person at the stop, I'll step down onto the street & wave my hand - with the logic being that I don't want the b/o to waste any more time pulling up to the curb... I don't have a problem boarding a bus while it's still in the right-most lane of moving traffic....

As for making it known that I don't want a particular route (at a stop where multiple routes stop at), I have a tendency as of late to turn my back & to try to make sure that the b/o sees me doing it.... I won't do any waving b/c it's seen as a gesture from a distance that you want the bus..... Something else I'll do (when I'm the only person at the stop) is simply, slowly walk away from the stop & start looking at random shit (lol) - as if I'm gingerly walking to some destination....

Yes, I have all this figured out like it's a science.... lol.... It's what 2+ decades of routefanning in multiple counties/states kinda prepares you for :D

I have no clue how they are going to implement SBS on the Q10. Kew Gardens Road, 80th Road, Austin Street, and Lefferts Boulevard are too narrow. People in the community would not give up parking in any case. In addition, there is constant congestion at the terminal in Kew Gardens, so I am not sure how that will work out. There will be no room for the payment machines. I really want to see what kind of ideas they come up with.

19 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

I have no clue how they are going to implement SBS on the Q10. Kew Gardens Road, 80th Road, Austin Street, and Lefferts Boulevard are too narrow. People in the community would not give up parking in any case. In addition, there is constant congestion at the terminal in Kew Gardens, so I am not sure how that will work out. There will be no room for the payment machines. I really want to see what kind of ideas they come up with.

They don't necessarily need a bus lane on the route. The gist of it is just to implement all-door boarding, which is kinda dumb. The dwell times isn't THAT bad on the Q10, even with the artics.

13 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

They don't necessarily need a bus lane on the route. The gist of it is just to implement all-door boarding, which is kinda dumb. The dwell times isn't THAT bad on the Q10, even with the artics.

It should have bus lanes though. You can't even say it is fake BRT without any bus lanes.