Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Is there any place online where the sheet is visible?

If youean lists of codes, I found one from 1996:

http://www.hopetunnel.org/bus/dest/NYCTA_Vultron_04-09-1996.html

Another 10 years later:

http://www.hopetunnel.org/bus/dest/NYCTA_08-01-2006.txt

Ttmg lists (somewhat) recent codes:

http://ttmg.org/transitwiki/MTA_Regional_Bus_Destination_Sign_Codes

What is up with the Main Street bus lane? They painted over the bus lane (which was red) with a dark red/black. The curbside bus lane on one of the streets is also always filled with cars. It says 4pm-7pm no standing yet at 5pm today there was 7 cars lined up in the bus lane. Seems like they are laying off on bus lane reinforcements and it's stupid. 

On 10/30/2017 at 7:06 PM, limitednyc said:

what is gtfs, is there a link?

Google Transit Feed Specification.

Not a link, but a protocol that can be used to display real or static time that's open sourced so any developer can incorporate it into their app.

NYCT's feed is Quad-tier (static, real time, service alert, variable) which is the most detail.

The Bee Line GTFS, by comparison, is only single tier (static), and NICE is tri-tier (real, static, and variable).

3 hours ago, MassTransitHonchkrow said:

GTFS can't be appreciated or parsed in this form. Copy and paste into Notepad++ and screenshot it for better reading.

That probably doesn't work because it's an older specification.

When I was playing around with the GTFS I parsed it using MS Access. The text files are comma separated. 

14 hours ago, R188 7857 said:

What is up with the Main Street bus lane? They painted over the bus lane (which was red) with a dark red/black. The curbside bus lane on one of the streets is also always filled with cars. It says 4pm-7pm no standing yet at 5pm today there was 7 cars lined up in the bus lane. Seems like they are laying off on bus lane reinforcements and it's stupid. 

A Q44 operator I have talked to had told me that his bus has slipped before on the old bus lane when it was raining outside. It seems as the dark red bus lane is from Booth Memorial Ave to Flushing and is made of similar material to the material the DOT uses in pedestrian plazas. It also makes sense as this new bus lane is found in the hilly sections of Main Street, while a new, regular colored red bus lane with a textured pattern going horizontally (in the direction of the width of the lane) was installed in the flat part of Main Street. Bus stops were not repainted either as they are going slow while pulling in, which leads me to believe that the bus slippage was the main issue.  

2 hours ago, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

A Q44 operator I have talked to had told me that his bus has slipped before on the old bus lane when it was raining outside. It seems as the dark red bus lane is from Booth Memorial Ave to Flushing and is made of similar material to the material the DOT uses in pedestrian plazas. It also makes sense as this new bus lane is found in the hilly sections of Main Street, while a new, regular colored red bus lane with a textured pattern going horizontally (in the direction of the width of the lane) was installed in the flat part of Main Street. Bus stops were not repainted either as they are going slow while pulling in, which leads me to believe that the bus slippage was the main issue.  

Yes! I operate the B46 which uses the Bus lanes via on utica Ave until Eastern pkwy and Atlantic Ave. When that red paint surface is wet, normally on the New Flyers buses, You feel the wheels losing tractions and the bus doesn’t wants to stop on time without sliding. I usually when I have the space and time ride on the opposite of the lane and start to slow down and move over back to the bus lane to stop without sliding. I barely have that problem when using the hybrid buses. But so far with the New flyers and Nova Artics buses , the wheels loses tractions when that bus lane is wet.

Edited by DueceDrives
Miss spelled

The relocation of Eagle Eyes toward SBS is having a visible impact. I see less scoundrels on Brooklyn SBS, even in bad neighborhoods.

This is further proof that if you station cops, they won't come.

☝psst...there's a play on words in those italics!

=Another city known for city lights and  rowdy crowd.=

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow
Attempted manual strike though but failed.

The Eagle Team appeared twice now on the M79-SBS in the last few weeks. They seem to be issuing warnings for now, but soon they'll be issuing summonses. Way too many people getting on claiming they don't know that they have to get a receipt beforehand. I've seen at least three or four people pulled off of the bus. One was allowed to dip for a receipt and get back on. The one that was pulled off today was spoken to but not allowed to get back on, so we'll see how this works.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Eagle Team appeared twice now on the M79-SBS in the last few weeks. They seem to be issuing warnings for now, but soon they'll be issuing summonses. Way too many people getting on claiming they don't know that they have to get a receipt beforehand. I've seen at least three or four people pulled off of the bus. One was allowed to dip for a receipt and get back on. The one that was pulled off today was spoken to but not allowed to get back on, so we'll see how this works.

They come handy especially with fare beaters. What I hate is on the local routes when fare beaters try to sneak through the back door like we can’t see them on the mirrors that is position for that exit door.