Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

4 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

They come handy especially with fare beaters. What I hate is on the local routes when fare beaters try to sneak through the back door like we can’t see them on the mirrors that is position for that exit door. 

They seem to work the same stops though. On the M79-SBS it's been that Central Park West and West 81st street stop going Westbound, which makes sense because that's where most people get off at, and they get a nice shock when they're at every door. The process was quicker than it's been yesterday, and they were pretty professional, even to those without receipts. I'm calling these passengers full of BS though that claim they don't know. The machines are big as day. I've seen numerous people get on as if the ride is free or getting a receipt is optional, like this lady last night. She gets on at Madison and 79th, doesn't get a receipt because she doesn't want to miss the bus. Well you know what, there's another one right behind this one. Get your ticket and PAY. She would've been fined if they were at 5th and 79th and rightfully so since the machines at Madison appeared to be working just fine. At 86th Street, I see them at Madison checking receipts. SBS doesn't mean that paying is optional. Start coming these people and we'll see how fast they catch on. Just annoys me how obnoxious people are with their entitlement.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

They seem to work the same stops though. On the M79-SBS it's been that Central Park West and West 81st street stop going Westbound, which makes sense because that's where most people get off at, and they get a nice shock when they're at every door. The process was quicker than it's been yesterday, and they were pretty professional, even to those without receipts. I'm calling these passengers full of BS though that claim they don't know. The machines are big as day. I've seen numerous people get on as if the ride is free or getting a receipt is optional, like this lady last night. She gets on at Madison and 79th, doesn't get a receipt because she doesn't want to miss the bus. Well you know what, there's another one right behind this one. Get your ticket and PAY. She would've been fined if they were at 5th and 79th and rightfully so since the machines at Madison appeared to be working just fine. At 86th Street, I see them at Madison checking receipts. SBS doesn't mean that paying is optional. Start coming these people and we'll see how fast they catch on. Just annoys me how obnoxious people are with their entitlement.

It looks like transit is about to make fare beaters tighten up. Words out there that they will be out there on the local buses riding just to catch fare beaters.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Eagle Team appeared twice now on the M79-SBS in the last few weeks. They seem to be issuing warnings for now, but soon they'll be issuing summonses. Way too many people getting on claiming they don't know that they have to get a receipt beforehand. I've seen at least three or four people pulled off of the bus. One was allowed to dip for a receipt and get back on. The one that was pulled off today was spoken to but not allowed to get back on, so we'll see how this works.

All MM23, 34, M79, M86 SBS and LGA Airport for Q70/M60 SBS, especially tourists don't understand SBS payment.

I'm sure during summer season, Rockaway Beach passengers will be more confuse.

I also one time when I took Bx12 SBS, before bus driver could say anything, I think one person, properly tourist dip his MetroCard on SBS.

Just now, FamousNYLover said:

All MM23, 34, M79, M86 SBS and LGA Airport for Q70/M60 SBS, especially tourists don't understand SBS payment.

I also one time when I took Bx12 SBS, before bus driver could say anything, I think one person, properly tourist dip his MetroCard on SBS.

There's nothing to understand.  READ the instructions and follow them.  The tourists usually come from places with a similar set up.  I've seen and overheard tourists speaking in their native language and they pick it up quite quickly.  I overheard some Italians while on an M86 or M79 bus that were trying to figure out how to pay. They saw the machines and figured out how to pay almost instantly, and they didn't even speak English.

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There's nothing to understand.  READ the instructions and follow them.  The tourists usually come from places with a similar set up.  I've seen and overheard tourists speaking in their native language and they pick it up quite quickly.  I overheard some Italians while on an M86 or M79 bus that were trying to figure out how to pay. They saw the machines and figured out how to pay almost instantly, and they didn't even speak English.

At LGA Airport, tourists think it's MetroCard Vending Machine and they try to buy MetroCard with credit card at SBS Machine.

I think people who will understand the SBS more quick is mostly B44 SBS, B46 SBS, Bx6 SBS, Bx12 SBS, Bx41 SBS, M15 SBS, M23 SBS, M34A, M60 SBS, M79 SBS, M86 SBS, Q44 SBS and Q70 SBS riders.

I'm going to do Q53 SBS only around 6-7am because I have to meet friends at Astoria at 2pm, so I'm planning to get to LGA Airport for M60 SBS by 1pm.

Also when MTA Eagle Teams ask, some people think "MetroCard" is ticket.

Even SBS Machines are clearly mark, some people think it's MetroCard Vending Machine.

Just little off-topic, everytime I take LIRR within City, tourist from JFK Airport boards LIRR and thinking it's subway and everytime LIRR C/O ask for ticket, one tourist show her MetroCard and she got summon.

Few days ago when I was in Woodside waiting for friend, some people were already getting Q70 SBS ticket for Q53 bus ride, think SBS started already.

Edited by FamousNYLover

On 11/8/2017 at 9:38 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Eagle Team appeared twice now on the M79-SBS in the last few weeks. They seem to be issuing warnings for now, but soon they'll be issuing summonses. Way too many people getting on claiming they don't know that they have to get a receipt beforehand. I've seen at least three or four people pulled off of the bus. One was allowed to dip for a receipt and get back on. The one that was pulled off today was spoken to but not allowed to get back on, so we'll see how this works.

The Eagle team usually lets you buy a receipt and hop back on if you have an unlimited card.  

10 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

The problem is that the fare box should reject the card. Once they hear the rejection sound, tourist or not, they will notice that. 

2 minutes ago, FamousNYLover said:

At LGA Airport, tourists think it's MetroCard Vending Machine and they try to buy MetroCard with credit card at SBS Machine.

I think people who will understand the SBS more quick is mostly B44 SBS, B46 SBS, Bx6 SBS, Bx12 SBS, Bx41 SBS, M15 SBS, M23 SBS, M34A, M60 SBS, M79 SBS, M86 SBS, Q44 SBS and Q70 SBS riders.

Honestly the Airport stops (or at least the major ones) should be staffed considering both 24/7 routes to LGA are SBS. Those information stands that sell metro cards should be right next to the stop that way they can explain to the passengers to to use SBS.

Just now, FamousNYLover said:

Well those are the same idiots that don't understand how to use a Metrocard vending machine either. I've helped several tourists now in the past few weeks. The ones that don't speak English have an excuse, but the others... Reading is fundamental.  I was coming off of the (B) train a few weeks ago, and this Italian lady with her two kids asked me for help. I explained to her in Italian and showed her what to do since this particular machine didn't offer Italian as an option (most of them in Manhattan will depending on the area, as I use that option myself or Spanish when I don't feel like dealing with English).  In her defense, the machine she was trying to use malfunctioned, but even her kids understood with their limited English (I could tell they were learning here at some school they likely went to, but they were proficient enough in it to thank me in English and tell their mother how to work in Italian as we went through the options in English).

5 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well those are the same idiots that don't understand how to use a Metrocard vending machine either. I've helped several tourists now in the past few weeks. The ones that don't speak English have an excuse, but the others... Reading is fundamental.  I was coming off of the (B) train a few weeks ago, and this Italian lady with her two kids asked me for help. I explained to her in Italian and showed her what to do since this particular machine didn't offer Italian as an option (most of them in Manhattan will depending on the area, as I use that option myself or Spanish when I don't feel like dealing with English).  In her defense, the machine she was trying to use malfunctioned, but even her kids understood with their limited English (I could tell they were learning here at some school they likely went to, but they were proficient enough in it to thank me in English and tell their mother how to work in Italian as we went through the options in English).

Little off-topic, I also happen to help tourist at PATH Concourse when MTA fare and PATH fare was separate fare. One lady using PATH MetroCard Vending Machine was confuse and she thought subway fare was $2.75 and she was confuse when it said $2.50. I told her subway MVM is downstair by subway station.

All Airtrain JFK and PATH MVM is clearly mark, but people don't read the sign.

Even for NICE Bus's n6 Articulated trip at Hempstead or 165th St Bus Terminal, Articulated bus trips are clearly mark and where bus stop, but most of n6/6X bus riders stay at regular n6/6X bus stop until NICE Bus supervisior or MTA Dispatcher announces n6 Artic across the street, or at Hempstead, artic drivers on n6/6X have to honk as it pulls over to Jackson St.

Lots of people don't read sign at for SBS buses.

Edited by FamousNYLover

8 minutes ago, IAlam said:

The Eagle team usually lets you buy a receipt and hop back on if you have an unlimited card.  

Which is the problem IMO.  Issue warnings and then start fining people. We've had the Metrocard out for years now and yet there are still people that act like they've never used one before, and it's clear that they are not tourists either.  On the other hand, the (MTA) needs to do more to educate riders.  They really don't have anything on the buses talking about payment. The signs should be bigger on the payment machines too and in various languages (not done by Google translate either).

1 minute ago, FamousNYLover said:

Little off-topic, I also happen to help tourist at PATH turnstyle when MTA fare and PATH fare was separate fare. One lady using PATH MetroCard Vending Machine was confuse and she thought subway fare was $2.75 and PATH fare was at $2.50. I told her subway MetroCard fare is downstair by subway station.

All Airtrain JFK and PATH MVM is clearly mark, but people don't read the sign.

Yes, the easier you make things, the lazier people become.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Which is the problem IMO.  Issue warnings and then start fining people. We've had the Metrocard out for years now and yet there are still people that act like they've never used one before, and it's clear that they are not tourists either.  On the other hand, the (MTA) needs to do more to educate riders.  They really don't have anything on the buses talking about payment. The signs should be bigger on the payment machines too and in various languages (not done by Google translate either).

To be fair those with an unlimited already paid. It's not like they are evading the fare.

Edited by IAlam

Just now, IAlam said:

To be fair those with an unlimited already paid. It's not like they are evading the fare

That may be true but that still doesn't mean that you have carte blanche to just get on and take a seat. If I buy a unlimited Metrocard but don't activate the weekly or monthly pass, well that IS fare beating... 

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

That may be true but that still doesn't mean that you have carte blanche to just get on and take a seat. If I buy a unlimited Metrocard but don't activate the weekly or monthly pass, well that IS fare beating... 

isn't it obvious when you first activate it though? Sorry, I haven't had an unlimited of my own in over a year.

Edited by IAlam

22 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

I think the Metrocard machines actually take fare when signed in as an SBS still. A lady dipped her metrocard once and the noise for fare paid went off.

That's the problem because if the fare should not be deducted. The card should be rejected when the bus is signed up for an SBS route. 

12 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

Paper transfer doesn't count as ticket.

Actually if a passenger dip their card at the fare box by accident, they can request a transfer as proof. The transfer states the time, bus number,route and direction of the bus is going as far destination. If the eagle squad ask for receipt, and the passenger states they paid at the farebox and present the transfer, they will confirm it with the operator. I have encounter a few time with that situation when I use to do the sbs46.

On first day, two Q53 SBS drivers made mistake on northbound trip during early afternoon and late evening when he stop at old 63rd Drive-Penelope Av bus stop instead of across the street. He had to stop across the street at machine again.

I plan to take every SBS round trip in one day except S79 SBS.

Edited by FamousNYLover