Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

I know the b82 is going select next year. But one of the things I can’t wrap my head around is trying to solve the traffic issues in midwood Brooklyn. There’s just way too much congestion for that area. For instance you have double parked trucks that just sit in the middle of the street in the morning rush. No doubt the sbs would be faster but I think the city needs to solve double parking issues to make sure the buses can make it to their desitinations. 

I live in the southern park of Brooklyn so sbs would be very helpful for my area. I’m currently on the b41 and even though Flatbush is congested it’s no where near the congestion on the b6 and b82.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2017 at 6:00 PM, Brillant93 said:

I know the b82 is going select next year. But one of the things I can’t wrap my head around is trying to solve the traffic issues in midwood Brooklyn. There’s just way too much congestion for that area. For instance you have double parked trucks that just sit in the middle of the street in the morning rush. No doubt the sbs would be faster but I think the city needs to solve double parking issues to make sure the buses can make it to their desitinations. 

I live in the southern park of Brooklyn so sbs would be very helpful for my area. I’m currently on the b41 and even though Flatbush is congested it’s no where near the congestion on the b6 and b82.

One thing I might consider proposing might be to take the B82 SBS off of Kings Highway west of Coney Island Avenue and reroute it along Avenue P instead, filling a major gap in network coverage east-west. As a four lane road for most of it, traffic would move closer to the statutory speed limit than it would along Kings Highway. Service to the (N) would be lost, but service to the (F) would be maintained. Stops would be added at East 5 Street, McDonald Avenue/Dahill Road, West 8 Street, and Stillwell Avenue/Bay Parkway. Lost coverage along Kings Highway could be covered by a B7 extended to West 7 Street.

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

One thing I might consider proposing might be to take the B82 SBS off of Kings Highway west of Coney Island Avenue and reroute it along Avenue P instead, filling a major gap in network coverage east-west. As a four lane road for most of it, traffic would move closer to the statutory speed limit than it would along Kings Highway. Service to the (N) would be lost, but service to the (F) would be maintained. Stops would be added at East 5 Street, McDonald Avenue/Dahill Road, West 8 Street, and Stillwell Avenue/Bay Parkway. Lost coverage along Kings Highway could be covered by a B7 extended to West 7 Street.

That was my proposal, except instead of continuing down Ocean Parkway, I would continue the route west along 65 Street to the ferry terminal. Eastbound I would continue it to Gateway and JFK. Incidentally, during rush hours Avenue P is very slow in both directions. They need to consider banning parking at least for two hours in each direction. 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

That was my proposal, except instead of continuing down Ocean Parkway, I would continue the route west along 65 Street to the ferry terminal. Eastbound I would continue it to Gateway and JFK. Incidentally, during rush hours Avenue P is very slow in both directions. They need to consider banning parking at least for two hours in each direction. 

I think everyone’s expectations was for the 82 to be rerouted on Avenue P but how would it get to the B and Q train even if it’s just down the block. Personally I think avenue P is more logical but I know a lot of people would be upset if they had to walk one block up just to take the bus. It would ease congestion but avenue p also have its issues. I also believe a route going all the way to jfk is just to long in my opinion. They could have a link bus like they have in queens. I would say it could be from broadway junction because it could make less stops. 

A few question to those who know more about sbs development in the upcoming years. But what Brooklyn routes are they trying to implement after the B82? If so what bus fleet would they use for it. I've been hearing the 82 going artic next year but i'm assuming other routes that are being converted to artics will soon becoming sbs. 

8 hours ago, OIG119 said:

The B35 which is going to become an artic route in the future may be converted to SBS, but it will likely stay as it is for now. A B41 SBS is more likely, and it would probably also get artics.

I could see the 41 becoming an sbs next. Probably in 2019 or later. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Union Tpke said:

38814853134_b2aec0f350_b.jpgIMG_4239 by Union Turnpike, on Flickr

I rode the Q53 sbs and I tell you I never gotten to the eastern side any faster. I used to take a bus and two trains to get out there occassionally. I really liked the ride as well. Some of the seats were very suitable for me, being how I’m 6’3 it was very helpful. 

There are 2 sbs proposals one from  ridgewood to Jamaica and ridgeweood to downtown Brooklyn. Why don’t  they make it one route , a sbs route from Jamaica to downtown Brooklyn it would be efficient and would have a lot of use throughout the whole route and would eliminate transferring 

On 1/5/2018 at 11:43 PM, Around the Horn said:

Was that an (R)@Union Tpke? Did you see if Corltandt was updated by any chance?

It was an (R). I got on at Queens Plaza because it was running express via the local to Roosevelt. I don't know if it was updated. By the way, this was a CI set.

Edited by Union Tpke

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:47 AM, Kingjunior34 said:

There are 2 sbs proposals one from  ridgewood to Jamaica and ridgeweood to downtown Brooklyn. Why don’t  they make it one route , a sbs route from Jamaica to downtown Brooklyn it would be efficient and would have a lot of use throughout the whole route and would eliminate transferring 

Too long.   The longer they are, the more unreliable they are.

But who am I?  Why not suggest it directly to NYCT?

On 1/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, Kingjunior34 said:

17 minutes ago, Bill from Maspeth said:

Too long.   The longer they are, the more unreliable they are.

But who am I?  Why not suggest it directly to NYCT?

Long routes can work like the Q53 +sbs, but a good portion of that route is crossing Jamaica Bay at nearly freeway speeds. The Downtown Brooklyn to Jamaica proposal would be much more different and might not work. +sbs routes need to be quick     

55 minutes ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

Long routes can work like the Q53 +sbs, but a good portion of that route is crossing Jamaica Bay at nearly freeway speeds. The Downtown Brooklyn to Jamaica proposal would be much more different and might not work. +sbs routes need to be quick     

From the downtown Brooklyn to Jamaica part my question is where would they run it from? Along Atlantic Avenue? 

On 1/6/2018 at 1:47 AM, Kingjunior34 said:

Jamaica to Downtown Brooklyn = Too long. 

1) it's essentially an Atlantic Center to Jamaica via Atlantic Avenue & LIRR. Atlantic Avenue is already traffic proned. Bad enough you don't have TSP or bus lane signaling on all Brooklyn routes. 

2) Ridgewood to Jamaica (This proposal is very new). Didn't know that was in consideration. What route(s) will be used? Will it come out of Grand, Fresh Pond or Jamaica depots? 

3) Ridgewood to Downtown Brooklyn. At least this proposal is picking a bit of steam. For right now it's possibly coming out of Grand and XD60's will be used. However, the routing is still undetermined. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

1) it's essentially an Atlantic Center to Jamaica via Atlantic Avenue & LIRR. Atlantic Avenue is already traffic proned. Bad enough you don't have TSP or bus lane signaling on all Brooklyn routes. 

2) Ridgewood to Jamaica (This proposal is very new). Didn't know that was in consideration. What route(s) will be used? Will it come out of Grand, Fresh Pond or Jamaica depots? 

3) Ridgewood to Downtown Brooklyn. At least this proposal is picking a bit of steam. For right now it's possibly coming out of Grand and XD60's will be used. However, the routing is still undetermined. 

where do they see the need for a route in that in that corridor?

5 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I would say going via myrtle the whole route 

On 1/8/2018 at 6:10 PM, Brillant93 said:

I guess LIRR is commuter rail so they’ll charge more for a more premium service. 

LIRR charges within city limits are way too high. That's the reason for the Freedom Ticket. I agree that the chances of the LIRR offering a $2.75 ride are very slim but one needs to look at existing capacity. If the trains are nearly empty during certain hours, it wouldn't cost them any more to offer the service at a much lower fare. Anyway, that still makes more sense than duplicating an existing service at a high cost just because of a reluctance to do what would make sense.