Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

3 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

I used to ride the Bx6 Local before +SBS+ and my trip took longer, and talk to me about the line you have to make to pay at the Farebox, it was pitiful. I no longer even use the Bx6 Local and avoid it as much as I possibly can now. I get to the Bus Stop, pay at the machine, and board through any door. It is beneficial because not only do you get on the bus quicker, you may also find a seat quicker and help distribute passenger loading much more equally. I would take the Bx6 Local at 163 - 3 Av after transferring from the Bx21 and my trip was around 1 hour and 5 minutes, now with +SBS+ it is down to 45 minutes. 20 minute reduction on my trip and works on my favor, I get to work earlier which I can be able to go to McDonalds or Dunkin' Donuts and buy some coffee and something to eat before walking into work. Everyone has a different POV and +SBS+ has either negative or positive effects depending on the person and the type of neighborhood. I would not say that a route sucks without even riding it or living in the area to understand pros and cons and the quality of life with changes in that magnitude.

Same thing with me. When sbs first started with the B46 if needed it to get to crown heights I got there in about 15 minutes to 20 minutes, it used to be 25 or a little over 20 but the route was always reliable.

Right now the B82 is next up for the sbs but the current state of the route is problematic it takes me almost an hour to get from gravesend to my neighborhood and all because it fights with traffic. They were going to put small bus lanes and or que jumps during rush hour but right now the community in the areas that they would put them in are protesting. They claim it would hurt their businesses and such because of no parking during rush hour. But most of their customers arrive on foot because most live in the area. But even still you have cars that just double park and no one gives out tickets to these people. Its not small cars either but big ones like Suvs. Most of the time when it gets to the midwood area a lot of people walk from the train station to coney island avenue to get on because the buses are so crowded. Even going westbound in the morning its packed if you go early enough. But with the opposition some people want it rerouted on avenue P. My point of view as a person who relies on this bus to get to and from work wouldn't work out. For one a lot of people wouldn't know there would be an SBS on avenue P. Also that same avenue slip off and up so people who need it on kings hwy would need to walk one or two blocks. That's not helpful at all to me because it would put me further from where I need to go and if an elderly person needs it they would have to walk. As a passenger its not that much helpful in my opinion. Yes it probably would be easier for articulated buses to go straight through avenue P but still its out of the way for me. But whatever happens its beyond my control or anyone elses. I just hope they start it before next year. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/16/2018 at 8:44 PM, MidwoodMartin said:

Let me just weigh in one thing about Avenue P: you guys realize this is a street with residential houses, families and driveways? Now imagine a bus with 28k people daily just comes along, out of nowhere without asking, and stops in front of your house along a curbside bus lane? That's sort-of invading your privacy. And it can make it more difficult for people to exit their driveway too. 

The bus lane doesn't necessarily have to be curbside. That's one of the main reasons we're even discussing Avenue P: It's wider, so there's a better chance that offset bus lanes could be used.

In any case, I do agree that it's probably better to just go with the current proposal (bus lane during rush hours, parking other times), but Avenue P should've at least been considered as an alternative during the earlier planning stages and not now at the point where it delays the whole project.

On a side note, I noticed that part of the proposal entails converting Quentin Road between CI Avenue & East 12th Street to a one-way street and adding angled parking, so that already restores some parking spaces right there.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

7 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

The bus lane doesn't necessarily have to be curbside. That's one of the main reasons we're even discussing Avenue P: It's wider, so there's a better chance that offset bus lanes could be used.

In any case, I do agree that it's probably better to just go with the current proposal (bus lane during rush hours, parking other times), but Avenue P should've at least been considered as an alternative during the earlier planning stages and not now at the point where it delays the whole project.

On a side note, I noticed that part of the proposal entails converting Quentin Road between CI Avenue & East 12th Street to a one-way street and adding angled parking, so that already restores some parking spaces right there.

Have you seen Avenue P during the evening rush hour? It moves at about five miles per hour between Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Ave. it really isn't better than Kings Highway. It takes 15 minutes for a car between Ocean Parkway and Ocean Avenue. Part of the reason is the timing of the lights in favor of Ocean Parkway, Coney Island Ave and Ocean Ave. Ninety seconds for those streets and 30 seconds for Avenue P. All the other east west streets that go through the Brighton line are almost just as bad. 

And the conversion of Quentin Road adds only three or four spaces. Closing East 12th would worsen traffic by forcing East 12 Street traffic into Coney Island and Kings Highway. Then they have to use Kings Highway to get back to East 12 St. 

Just now, Brillant93 said:

They're making new pedestrian islands on Kings hwy and Flatbush avenue. Saw cones up around the area with markings on the street outlining it. Also they're almost complete with one side of new bus bulbs on flatlands avenue, avenue K and utica avenue. 

Was this recently started? Are they still doing construction?

Just now, MysteriousBtrain said:

Was this recently started? Are they still doing construction?

They've been doing construction in my area since January by redoing the pipes and so on. Its just recently they've started with doing bus bulbs for the B46 sbs and just now they're making new pedestrian islands for the B82 sbs on flatbush avenue. Nostrand and Kings Hwy was slowly finished I believe end of February or early march and they were doing it since end of November that year. 

17 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

I've been waiting to hear whats the update with the B82 sbs since it was delayed. The only thing was the DOT feedback site closed comments for it. So I wonder does anyone from inside knows whats going on. 

Don't you find it ironic that when DOT postpones the B82 SBS to receive additional community input after receiving complaints that many never knew of the plan, they decide to close the comments on their website. That should tell you they are not interested in what the public thinks. 

14 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Don't you find it ironic that when DOT postpones the B82 SBS to receive additional community input after receiving complaints that many never knew of the plan, they decide to close the comments on their website. That should tell you they are not interested in what the public thinks. 

And/or maybe because the SBS is going to start up soon. Whether if it'll be in July or later this year. 

3 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

And/or maybe because the SBS is going to start up soon. Whether if it'll be in July or later this year. 

But what's the point in saying you are postponing it to get more comments, then cutting off the comments. It just shows how dishonest the entire process has been. 

31 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

But what's the point in saying you are postponing it to get more comments, then cutting off the comments. It just shows how dishonest the entire process has been. 

Honestly I don’t think they are postponing it . Work and construction is still being done and the DOT wants sbs on the 82 so there going to put it on the 82 .

Edited by Kingjunior34

2 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Honestly I don’t think they are postponing it . Work and construction is still being done and the DOT wants sbs on the 82 so there going to put it on the 82 .

I think also having unfinished construction materials and equipment in nieghborhoods would cause disruption. It’s probably postponed to tweak whatever is cost effective and to thoroughly finish all the construction. 

1 hour ago, Brillant93 said:

I think also having unfinished construction materials and equipment in nieghborhoods would cause disruption. It’s probably postponed to tweak whatever is cost effective and to thoroughly finish all the construction. 

You don't tell people a project is on hold while you are continuing construction. That is just flat out lying. 

23 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

You don't tell people a project is on hold while you are continuing construction. That is just flat out lying. 

So you rather have a sidewalk closed for 3+ months instead of finishing the necessary pieces. The SBS machines can be postponed, but everything else i believe should be finished.

And quite honestly the MTA never officially told the actual public (not just the representatives) that construction wouldn't stop. We don't even truly know if the MTA is even going to postpone the start date. It's just undetermined ATM.

5 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

How is that lying? A project on hold doesn’t mean leaving construction uncompleted. That doesn’t mean the B82 sbs is being launched in July. Leaving unfinished work in certain areas with equipment and such is sloppy and dangerous for pedestrians. They said the launch was delayed I think you should at least not worry about that until they announce a new launch date. 

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

How is that lying? A project on hold doesn’t mean leaving construction uncompleted. That doesn’t mean the B82 sbs is being launched in July. Leaving unfinished work in certain areas with equipment and such is sloppy and dangerous for pedestrians. They said the launch was delayed I think you should at least not worry about that until they announce a new launch date. 

Clearing equipment and not leaving dangerous conditions is one thing. Proceeding with construction to finish it shows there is no intention of making changes, delaying  or scrubbing the project. 

8 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

So you rather have a sidewalk closed for 3+ months instead of finishing the necessary pieces. The SBS machines can be postponed, but everything else i believe should be finished.

And quite honestly the MTA never officially told the actual public (not just the representatives) that construction wouldn't stop. We don't even truly know if the MTA is even going to postpone the start date. It's just undetermined ATM.

And there are many who believe the project as proposed should not go forward at all. And you seem to be saying it is alright to tell representatives one thing and tell or not tel, the public something else. That what they tell, representative to appease them does not matter. I repeat you don't tell representatives that you are delaying the project to obtain additional community input and then close down the input on the web. But this is typical of how DOT has handled every SBS project thus far with lies, distortions and omissions to deliberately mislead the public and reduce opposition. Why is it that you won't find a single SBS report that states a general traffic lane will be converted to an exclusive bus lane? Why is something like 90 percent of the people caught by surprise when SBS starts if publicity was so great? Why is there no mention of any proposed SBS routes on the MTA website? That is where someone would look to go to learn about it, not to the DOT website where if you want to learn about the B82 SBS, you have to look under Southern Brooklyn SBS. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

Clearing equipment and not leaving dangerous conditions is one thing. Proceeding with construction to finish it shows there is no intention of making changes, delaying  or scrubbing the project. 

The changes your community wanted was no bus lanes. What does that have to do with construction in the areas that aren’t in your community? My community had its streets torn up for construction since January. Seems like you personally want the project cancelled but yet the B82 won’t get better if they just leave it be. 

51 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

The changes your community wanted was no bus lanes. What does that have to do with construction in the areas that aren’t in your community? My community had its streets torn up for construction since January. Seems like you personally want the project cancelled but yet the B82 won’t get better if they just leave it be. 

I only heard them say they didn't want bus lanes on the narrow portion of Kings Highway. There shouldn't be bus lanes in the wide portion of Kings Highway because there is no way to justify them. They won't improve service. Some of the other recommendations would improve B82 service, but they do not require SBS. I not only want this project to be put on an indefinite hold. The entire SBS program for new routes needs to be put on hold until the many problems associated with it are adequately addressed. 

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

I only heard them say they didn't want bus lanes on the narrow portion of Kings Highway. There shouldn't be bus lanes in the wide portion of Kings Highway because there is no way to justify them. They won't improve service. Some of the other recommendations would improve B82 service, but they do not require SBS. I not only want this project to be put on an indefinite hold. The entire SBS program for new routes needs to be put on hold until the many problems associated with it are adequately addressed. 

They released the bus plan city wide today so that’s already addressed. Why would they still not at least complete construction  that would reroute the B82? On top of that one of the representatives got money from the city to redo kings hwy anyway. Even if sbs was canceled for the B82 construction on the pedestrian islands along kings hwy would see need to be done because most of them are decayed. I believe they set aside 20 million to it. 

3 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

They released the bus plan city wide today so that’s already addressed. Why would they still not at least complete construction  that would reroute the B82? On top of that one of the representatives got money from the city to redo kings hwy anyway. Even if sbs was canceled for the B82 construction on the pedestrian islands along kings hwy would see need to be done because most of them are decayed. I believe they set aside 20 million to it. 

Where do I find this citywide bus plan that addresses SBS problems? I don't see it on their website. The buses would work just as fine in the service roads as in the main roads. Reconstruction of the bus stops is a waste of $20 million. 

22 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Where do I find this citywide bus plan that addresses SBS problems? I don't see it on their website. The buses would work just as fine in the service roads as in the main roads. Reconstruction of the bus stops is a waste of $20 million. 

The bus plan that was released today. Which outlines how they want to help the bus system. Via redesigning the routes, enforcing bus lanes, all door boarding, and so on.