Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's what I am afraid of. A big emphasis on service cuts and route eliminations with new routes only operating every 30 minutes. The MTA has shown no interest in spending mre money on service so why should that change now? Even the purpose of the double decker buses is to provide fewer buses. While some bus stops may not be necessary, it makes no sense to eliminate very underutilized stops since mist buses skip those stops anyway. The result is that the few users who do use those stops will have increased travel times as they just miss a bus while walking longer and buses don't save time without those stops. 

50 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

That's what I am afraid of. A big emphasis on service cuts and route eliminations with new routes only operating every 30 minutes. The MTA has shown no interest in spending mre money on service so why should that change now? Even the purpose of the double decker buses is to provide fewer buses. While some bus stops may not be necessary, it makes no sense to eliminate very underutilized stops since mist buses skip those stops anyway. The result is that the few users who do use those stops will have increased travel times as they just miss a bus while walking longer and buses don't save time without those stops. 

Especially in Brooklyn. I feel the (MTA) doesn't focus enough with Brooklyn service. I get that everything is Manhattan centered. However, when you have Brooklyn traffic resembling like Manhattan, and essential routes are being reduced left and right. One has to ask how will expanded routes and the routes that are already in service get POSSIBLE service increases rather than getting reduced and or discontinued. 

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Who said anything about "new routes" operating every 30 min? Sure, maybe if you make certain "market routes" like the M12 and B32, but for splitting routes for better reliability like the M101 and B82, I feel they would at the very least be running every 10-15 minutes in peak times.

9 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Who said anything about "new routes" operating every 30 min? Sure, maybe if you make certain "market routes" like the M12 and B32, but for splitting routes for better reliability like the M101 and B82, I feel they would at the very least be running every 10-15 minutes in peak times.

Also eliminating bus stops close to each other isn’t a bad thing either. Why would someone’s commute take longer if one bus stop is a block away from another. 

18 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

....which would amount to a service cut.... Which he mentioned.

By pointing out the fact that the newer routes run on coverage headways, it's a part of the point illustrating how reluctant the MTA would be with wanting to spend money (resulting in a net positive anyway) on bus service....

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

I'm worried about a bunch of stop consolidations city-wide, as well as trying to create perfect/straight grid networks within the boroughs....

Edited by B35 via Church

15 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

That has been their policy thus far. Even when they returned the B37, they cut the route and instituted only 20 minute headways. They have also shown no interest in returning a modified B71. Splitting routes, unless you overlap the central portion which is what should be done means more trips will require two or three buses

7 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

Also eliminating bus stops close to each other isn’t a bad thing either. Why would someone’s commute take longer if one bus stop is a block away from another. 

It al, depends on the bus stop's usage. In 2006, they eliminated my bus stop which had a grand total of 56 passengers per day using it. That meant that only one in 20 buses ever stopped there anyway, so virtually no time was saved by eliminating it. Now when I walk 200 feet extra to the closest bus stop, there is a 30 percent chance I will miss a bus I would have not missed if I went to the old stop that was eliminated. So you made travel more difficult for 56 people and helped no one. Rarely did a bus ever have to stop at both stops anyway because the usage is light. If the bus did save one stop, it saved only about ten seconds, the time it took to slow down, pick up a passenger, and accelerate. 

6 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

....which would amount to a service cut.... Which he mentioned.

By pointing out the fact that the newer routes run on coverage headways, it's a part of the point illustrating how reluctant the MTA would be with wanting to spend money (resulting in a net positive anyway) on bus service....

I'm worried about a bunch of stop consolidations city-wide, as well as trying to create perfect/straight grid networks within the boroughs....

Exactly. Until they change their metric to be passenger travel times, not bus travel times. That will be the problem. 

I am continuing to monitor the local papers that are distributed in the community for anything on the B/82 sbs and if there is anything I will post it at the end of the week. Rest assured that if something will happen, good ole Chaim Deutsch will be plastering it all over those local newspapers along with his pals at the NYCDOT pontificating as to how it improves service to the public (yes! In dreamland)

As far as this new idea for improving bus service is concerned, count me as a skeptic of anything that is being proposed right now. Until I see what is being suggested, I do not plan to pass judgment on it as I have seen too many of these plans that were proclaimed to be the greatest changes since time immemorial, to be absolute duds  The problem remains that the people on top in all agencies like to push things on those on the bottom and then when it does not work, they  blame everyone but themselves for its failure. All I have to do is to see the proposal for double decker express buses on Staten Island  and then  just wait for the first traffic problem on Hylan Boulevard either in New Dorp or at Old Town Road and watch the fun.

23 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

I am continuing to monitor the local papers that are distributed in the community for anything on the B/82 sbs and if there is anything I will post it at the end of the week. Rest assured that if something will happen, good ole Chaim Deutsch will be plastering it all over those local newspapers along with his pals at the NYCDOT pontificating as to how it improves service to the public (yes! In dreamland)

As far as this new idea for improving bus service is concerned, count me as a skeptic of anything that is being proposed right now. Until I see what is being suggested, I do not plan to pass judgment on it as I have seen too many of these plans that were proclaimed to be the greatest changes since time immemorial, to be absolute duds  The problem remains that the people on top in all agencies like to push things on those on the bottom and then when it does not work, they  blame everyone but themselves for its failure. All I have to do is to see the proposal for double decker express buses on Staten Island  and then  just wait for the first traffic problem on Hylan Boulevard either in New Dorp or at Old Town Road and watch the fun.

I heard that it will be on a "via NJ" route and not a Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel route.

Today I seen construction at glenwood  Ave near the rockaway parkway station on the side that’s supposed to be turned into a way bus lane . That whole section was being worked on 

however im not sure or positive it is sbs related 

Edited by Kingjunior34

33 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Today I seen construction at glenwood  Ave near the rockaway parkway station on the side that’s supposed to be turned into a way bus lane . That whole section was being worked on 

however im not sure or positive it is sbs related 

I passed by there yesterday. It probably isn’t. They’ve been working on the pipes for a few months in the area. 

http://www.qchron.com/editions/queenswide/sbs-is-not-helping-riders-commutes/article_9070d9c0-e022-56c3-a854-4f590211002a.html

According to this article, MTA spokesman Shams Tarek said, “The Comptroller’s report affirms that SBS runs much faster than local routes and is a vast improvement over regular bus service, and that riders like it.” 

The Comptroller's report says nothing of the sort. The report states: "Over the last decade, bus ridership in New York City has nosedived and many local routes have become less reliable, slower, and increasingly outdated. While Select Bus routes have performed slightly better, there is ample room for improvement." It further states: "Select Bus routes travel only slightly faster than the average local route (8.9 mph versus 7.4 mph) and are identical in their on-time performance – a meager 62 percent (see Chart 5).2""

"Slightly better" and "slightly faster" is not "vast improvement" and "much faster". This is typical of the lies made by the MTA and DOT to gain acceptance of SBS from the public. 

As for passenger satisfaction levels with SBS, the Comptroller's survey showed a 64 percent satisfaction rate whereas the MTA's faulty methodology showed a 95 percent satisfaction rate. The Comptroller does not state if local riders were also surveyed. If not, then the 64 percent approval rating would most likely be even lower since those riders did not opt for the SBS service.

The Q70 at 11.3 miles per hour? That's totally bogus. Maybe in the terminals and in Woodside/Jackson Heights, but definitely not along the Parkway. I've had to use that to connect to the M60 for work purposes in and out of the rush hour periods. 11.3MPH my ass.

Edited by Cait Sith

49 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The Q70 at 11.3 miles per hour? That's totally bogus. Maybe in the terminals and in Woodside/Jackson Heights, but definitely not along the Parkway. I've had to use that to connect to the M60 for work purposes in and out of the rush hour periods. 11.3MPH my ass.

Number crunching. (MTA) definitely hiding. Rush hour traffic is horrible on that GCP. Don't care how this information is being supplied. However, those numbers aren't accurate at all. 

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Number crunching. (MTA) definitely hiding. Rush hour traffic is horrible on that GCP. Don't care how this information is being supplied. However, those numbers aren't accurate at all. 

I wasn't implying that it was slow....

21 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The Q70 is quick, but it's a loop trip from Woodside to Woodside, so the traffic/dwell on Roosevelt Ave, Brodaway and LGA Traffic lowers its average speed.

21 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I think Woodside/Jackson Heights and the absolute mess that the terminals are now is bringing down that average speed.

25 minutes ago, N6 Limited said:

The Q70 is quick, but it's a loop trip from Woodside to Woodside, so the traffic/dwell on Roosevelt Ave, Brodaway and LGA Traffic lowers its average speed.

Are you allowed to go around the whole loop for one fare?