Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

23 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Any updates on the B82 SBS ?

is construction still bring done ?

has any machines or roadworks been stared ?

Are they still implementing bus lines on kings hwy ?

Are Eny still get xd40s and xd60s 

No not as of yet.

But construction on pedestrian islands are still being done around kings hwy and Flatbush Avenue. 

Machines haven’t been installed yet and the cones are still on most of the stops.

we don’t know what is the update on the bus route designs.

again no one knows as of yet.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does the B82 run all the way down to CI when you could just take it to any of the subway lines and then head to CI from there? The B64 is already running near the waterfront there, so couldn't you just cut it back to Bath Av (or Cropsey if needed)?

Edited by R68OnBroadway
punctuation error

28 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Why does the B82 run all the way down to CI when you could just take it to any of the subway lines and then head to CI from there? The B64 is already running near the waterfront there, so couldn't you just cut it back to Bath Av (or Cropsey if needed)?

I always wondered why it got extended past the UP Depot myself, the extension to CI was done in the 2000s too, so its a fairly recent move.

Speaking of that portion of the B82, sometimes during the PM rush I see B82 short turns to West 7th Street, I didn't even know those existed until a couple months ago.

8 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I always wondered why it got extended past the UP Depot myself, the extension to CI was done in the 2000s too, so its a fairly recent move.

Speaking of that portion of the B82, sometimes during the PM rush I see B82 short turns to West 7th Street, I didn't even know those existed until a couple months ago.

The B82 never was extended from Ulmer Park to Coney Island. The B5 ran to Ulmer Park which became the B50. Pathmark Supermarket was built near Canal Avenue. Residents from Cropsey Avenue needed a way to access it so the route was extended to Canal Avenue which really was in the middle of nowhere and no place to terminate a bus route. It was a short distance from Coney Island where a transfer could be provided to the B74 and B36. It only took the MTA like 30 years to realize that but since they were pennywise and pound foolish, the same reason the B67 terminates a short distance from Williamsburg Bridge Plaza where it could provide numerous bus transfers, they finally agreed to the short extension to Coney Island but refused to provide the extra mileage, so in exchange to balance the miles, they decided to terminate every other bus at Ulmer Park. So the route was never designed to get people from parts of the B82 north of Bay Parkway or Cropsey to Coney Island. 

33 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

The B82 never was extended from Ulmer Park to Coney Island. The B5 ran to Ulmer Park which became the B50. Pathmark Supermarket was built near Canal Avenue. Residents from Cropsey Avenue needed a way to access it so the route was extended to Canal Avenue which really was in the middle of nowhere and no place to terminate a bus route. It was a short distance from Coney Island where a transfer could be provided to the B74 and B36. It only took the MTA like 30 years to realize that but since they were pennywise and pound foolish, the same reason the B67 terminates a short distance from Williamsburg Bridge Plaza where it could provide numerous bus transfers, they finally agreed to the short extension to Coney Island but refused to provide the extra mileage, so in exchange to balance the miles, they decided to terminate every other bus at Ulmer Park. So the route was never designed to get people from parts of the B82 north of Bay Parkway or Cropsey to Coney Island. 

I believe that is insane not designing the route to make it easier to get to Coney Island from north of Bay Pkwy. If I were designing the route and the SBS plan, it would be like this:

• B82 LOCAL: Coney Island to Brooklyn Sports Club, 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 PM, every day. Other times to Spring Creek Towers
  • B82 SBS: Coney Island to Gateway Mall, 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M, every day. Other Times no service
  • All buses serve the Spring Creek Towers loop on Seaview Avenue.

42 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I believe that is insane not designing the route to make it easier to get to Coney Island from north of Bay Pkwy. If I were designing the route and the SBS plan, it would be like this:

• B82 LOCAL: Coney Island to Brooklyn Sports Club, 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 PM, every day. Other times to Spring Creek Towers
  • B82 SBS: Coney Island to Gateway Mall, 5:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M, every day. Other Times no service
  • All buses serve the Spring Creek Towers loop on Seaview Avenue.

Why Brooklyn Sports Club???? You might as well terminate at Spring Creek-Seaview Avenue. No need to have buses sitting on Van Siclen Avenue.

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Why Brooklyn Sports Club???? You might as well terminate at Spring Creek-Seaview Avenue. No need to have buses sitting on Van Siclen Avenue.

There's a possible chance they may have the sbs82 splits into two destination similar to what the sbs44 does....On the sbs44 we have North bound where either Flushing Avenue is the last stop or Williams burgs Washington Plaza. I can see when they have the arctics buses running some of the routes will be split to either C.I./Stillwell and some by UP depot. I don't see the 82 going all the way to Gateway mall when the B83 already goes there Especially in the future it will be all Arctic buses.

3 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

There's a possible chance they may have the sbs82 splits into two destination similar to what the sbs44 does....On the sbs44 we have North bound where either Flushing Avenue is the last stop or Williams burgs Washington Plaza. I can see when they have the arctics buses running some of the routes will be split to either C.I./Stillwell and some by UP depot. I don't see the 82 going all the way to Gateway mall when the B83 already goes there Especially in the future it will be all Arctic buses.

Correct. Definitely aware of the SBS44 splitting into 2 sections

Section A: Flushing/Bedford to Sheepshead

Section B: Williamsburg Bridge to Sheepshead.

I can't foresee the 82 heading to Gateway Mall. The route is already long as it is. 82 & 83 definitely needs to be all artic.

23 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Correct. Definitely aware of the SBS44 splitting into 2 sections

Section A: Flushing/Bedford to Sheepshead

Section B: Williamsburg Bridge to Sheepshead.

I can't foresee the 82 heading to Gateway Mall. The route is already long as it is. 82 & 83 definitely needs to be all artic.

Yes...Plus the public doesn't understand that Transit is willing to fix the transportation issues, but at the same time they are trying to cover cost on payroll by reducing less runs and placing bigger buses for certain routes that can handle it.. That's where the Arctics buses comes in play....

13 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Yes...Plus the public doesn't understand that Transit is willing to fix the transportation issues, but at the same time they are trying to cover cost on payroll by reducing less runs and placing bigger buses for certain routes that can handle it.. That's where the Arctics buses comes in play....

It's not like they have much of a choice.  Workers keep saying they aren't getting paid enough and need raises, and healthcare costs continue to skyrocket, so either they pay out more or find ways to cut costs.  I just wish they'd stop cutting the damn service.  Hire less project managers making $90,000+ a year and maybe they could find some savings there.  Bloated management...

59 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

The B82 to Brooklyn Sports Club was proposed 13 years ago by @BrooklynBus. It is found in this website: http://brooklynbus.tripod.com/id22.html. It is labeled under Proposal P.

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

It's not like they have much of a choice.  Workers keep saying they aren't getting paid enough and need raises, and healthcare costs continue to skyrocket, so either they pay out more or find ways to cut costs.  I just wish they'd stop cutting the damn service.  Hire less project managers making $90,000+ a year and maybe they could find some savings there.  Bloated management...

Yes too much high level management that does little other than to delve out assignments to subordinates adding little to the process. Need more middle level managers and supervision. Why aren't the bus managers responsible for a half dozen routes? The few they do have can't possibly watch all the routes. 

And don't forget that although artics carry more passengers they may not be more cost efficient since operators receive premium pay as of the last contract and the buses use more fuel. Whenever they carry less than 60 passengers they are less efficient. Why don't they switch to 40 foot buses overnight instead of running artics nearly empty? I wonder how much money that would save? Reassigning buses to different depots by allowing MTA Buses and NYCT buses in each other's depots would also save money. Why should the B100 come all the way from Spring Creek when it passes directly in front of Flatbush Depot? 

There are many ways to save money without negatively affecting service. 

11 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes too much high level management that does little other than to delve out assignments to subordinates adding little to the process. Need more middle level managers and supervision. Why aren't the bus managers responsible for a half dozen routes? The few they do have can't possibly watch all the routes. 

And don't forget that although artics carry more passengers they may not be more cost efficient since operators receive premium pay as of the last contract and the buses use more fuel. Whenever they carry less than 60 passengers they are less efficient. Why don't they switch to 40 foot buses overnight instead of running artics nearly empty? I wonder how much money that would save? Reassigning buses to different depots by allowing MTA Buses and NYCT buses in each other's depots would also save money. Why should the B100 come all the way from Spring Creek when it passes directly in front of Flatbush Depot? 

There are many ways to save money without negatively affecting service. 

Well then the question is pulling the artics and bringing in 40 footers... How much mileage and fuel is wasted doing that?

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well then the question is pulling the artics and bringing in 40 footers... How much mileage and fuel is wasted doing that?

It may not make sense in every case. That all has to be studied. But I doubt it if it was ever considered. That is the point. Maybe whenever you do it, you also refill the fuel tank so the bus doesn't have to come in just for refueling and it can stay on the road longer. I believe a bus needs refueling every 48 hours on the road. So maybe you bring it in every other time and half the time they run overnight. 

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

It may not make sense in every case. That all has to be studied. But I doubt it if it was ever considered. That is the point. Maybe whenever you do it, you also refill the fuel tank so the bus doesn't have to come in just for refueling and it can stay on the road longer. I believe a bus needs refueling every 48 hours on the road. So maybe you bring it in every other time and half the time they run overnight. 

I think they do consider it.  I've seen 40 footers on the M79 late nights, but I think it's wise to stick with the artics on those lines. It's rare that you'll get crazy crowding but people travel at all hours now despite the (MTA) running such crappy bus service overnight.  We shouldn't be trying to constantly "curtail" usage overnight, which is something else the (MTA) has consistently done over the years. 

In many cases, they have the same schedules they did 10 years ago.  It's high time that they start adding more off-peak service and late night service and restoring overnight service that they took away.  On the M79 for example, they have one bus every 40 - 45 minutes in some cases.  That's absurd.  Have two buses an hour overnight so this way there's a bus every 30 minutes. That's a lot more tolerable than a 40 - 45 minute wait.  Waiting that long you basically put off riders from using the service.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

I had totally forgot about that one. 

There were other items you proposed such as splitting the B68, the 2 routes to JFK Airport, etc. I find these a piece of art that they should be fine tuned for the NY of 2018 (the old proposals predate SBS), notably:

• Borough Park: B16 runs straight along Ft. Hamilton Pkwy as proposed. Proposed B21 route to replace the now-discontinued B23 route would be a restored B23 route. Also B23 would be extended on the other end to Canarsie Plaza.
  • Flatlands: B9 extended to Bergen Beach as proposed. B41 on Bergen Beach cut to rush hours and overnights only (for night service on Avenue N). New B41 SBS to operate to both Kings Plaza and Bergen Beach all day. B11 extended to Ralph Avenue via Avenue K in both directions.
  • Gerritsen Beach and Marine Park: B2 extendes along 65th Street and absorbs B64 along Bay Ridge Avenue. Operates along Bay Ride Avenue in both directions. B31 extended to Bensonhurst as proposed.
  • Canarsie: Proposed B81 LTD becomes B82 SBS from Coney Island to Gateway Mall.

These are some ways the proposals can be  tailored to a modern NY. What do you think?

5 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

There were other items you proposed such as splitting the B68, the 2 routes to JFK Airport, etc. I find these a piece of art that they should be fine tuned for the NY of 2018 (the old proposals predate SBS), notably:

• Borough Park: B16 runs straight along Ft. Hamilton Pkwy as proposed. Proposed B21 route to replace the now-discontinued B23 route would be a restored B23 route. Also B23 would be extended on the other end to Canarsie Plaza.
  • Flatlands: B9 extended to Bergen Beach as proposed. B41 on Bergen Beach cut to rush hours and overnights only (for night service on Avenue N). New B41 SBS to operate to both Kings Plaza and Bergen Beach all day. B11 extended to Ralph Avenue via Avenue K in both directions.
  • Gerritsen Beach and Marine Park: B2 extendes along 65th Street and absorbs B64 along Bay Ridge Avenue. Operates along Bay Ride Avenue in both directions. B31 extended to Bensonhurst as proposed.
  • Canarsie: Proposed B81 LTD becomes B82 SBS from Coney Island to Gateway Mall.

These are some ways the proposals can be  tailored to a modern NY. What do you think?

There are many alternatives that would be bette than what is out there now. They just don't want to invest the money. They only want to cut. 

43 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I think they do consider it.  I've seen 40 footers on the M79 late nights, but I think it's wise to stick with the artics on those lines. It's rare that you'll get crazy crowding but people travel at all hours now despite the (MTA) running such crappy bus service overnight.  We shouldn't be trying to constantly "curtail" usage overnight, which is something else the (MTA) has consistently done over the years. 

In many cases, they have the same schedules they did 10 years ago.  It's high time that they start adding more off-peak service and late night service and restoring overnight service that they took away.  On the M79 for example, they have one bus every 40 - 45 minutes in some cases.  That's absurd.  Have two buses an hour overnight so this way there's a bus every 30 minutes. That's a lot more tolerable than a 40 - 45 minute wait.  Waiting that long you basically put off riders from using the service.  

I fully agree that no overnight service shoukd be greater than every 30 minutes even if it means fewer routes running overnight. They also could have special night time routes.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I have been on the Q44sbs with standing loads at 1am & 2 am when I get off work after a long day only to stand on my way home from Parkchester to Flushing. I believe they run every 15 to 20 minutes at that hour and even the buses heading in the opposite direction also have a standing load its a very heavy line. 

2 minutes ago, nuyorican said:

I have been on the Q44sbs with standing loads at 1am & 2 am when I get off work after a long day only to stand on my way home from Parkchester to Flushing. I believe they run every 15 to 20 minutes at that hour and even the buses heading in the opposite direction also have a standing load its a very heavy line. 

Yes it is.  I have used it and it runs incredibly slow.  It's easy to see how they bunch.  I don't know how much signal priority they're using on the Q44, but it clearly needs to be expanded.  It seems like it stops CONSTANTLY too, between traffic lights and bus stops. I would cut back on the number of stops and have more lights held longer so that the bus could keep moving.  

58 minutes ago, nuyorican said:

Sounds like they could use more than one route over the Whitestone.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes it is.  I have used it and it runs incredibly slow.  It's easy to see how they bunch.  I don't know how much signal priority they're using on the Q44, but it clearly needs to be expanded.  It seems like it stops CONSTANTLY too, between traffic lights and bus stops. I would cut back on the number of stops and have more lights held longer so that the bus could keep moving.  

Because the DOT wants to be lazy and spend 5 years adding TSP to the traffic lights, which is something that can be done in months. The DOT Slacks in general. Tell me how it can take up to 3 months or more to re install a new light pole?

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

Because the DOT wants to be lazy and spend 5 years adding TSP to the traffic lights, which is something that can be done in months. The DOT Slacks in general. Tell me how it can take up to 3 months or more to re install a new light pole?

You see how it takes them to change or put in bus stops....