Jump to content
Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Union Tpke

Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

It depends. Is there overnight demand for Co-Op City-Flushing service? (Serious question) I would say coverage-wise, it's worth it since the Bx5 doesn't even run overnight, and transfer-wise, the Q44 doesn't connect with any Co-Op City routes, so it makes sense in that regard. But the existing overcrowded buses are on the Q44, so additional service on the Q50 wouldn't do any good for those traveling south of Flushing or (especially) north of the Bruckner Interchange.

 

The premium pay is $1/hour on a $34-$36/hour salary. That's a joke. For fuel, a gallon of gas costs like $3, so even if a bus gets 10 mpg, you're still talking about doing a whole B44 trip for $3 worth of gas.

 

Buses don't use gasoline. They use diesel and they get about 4 miles a gallon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Buses don't use gasoline. They use diesel and they get about 4 miles a gallon. 

Whatever fuel they use, it's only a few dollars per gallon. They hedge the price too: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/2012FuelHedges.pdf

In any case, let's say it's $4 per gallon and buses get 4 miles to the gallon. That means a 10 mile trip uses $10 worth of fuel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen them on the M60 recently. Couple of times over at Amsterdam and 125th, another by Saint Nicholas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Whatever fuel they use, it's only a few dollars per gallon. They hedge the price too: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/docs/2012FuelHedges.pdf

In any case, let's say it's $4 per gallon and buses get 4 miles to the gallon. That means a 10 mile trip uses $10 worth of fuel. 

Even so the real cost is paying the driver.  The fuel is the one thing they can kind of control since they buy in bulk, but God help them if there's a supply problem...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so the real cost is paying the driver.  The fuel is the one thing they can kind of control since they buy in bulk, but God help them if there's a supply problem...

Yes, paying the driver is the primary cost. But you can't look at it as just a ten mile trip. You have look at it as what it costs for the entire overnight shift. So if four round trips are made, it's $40. But the MTA does all their costs annually. So that would be $14,600 + the labor differential and that's only one route. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes, paying the driver is the primary cost. But you can't look at it as just a ten mile trip. You have look at it as what it costs for the entire overnight shift. So if four round trips are made, it's $40. But the MTA does all their costs annually. So that would be $14,600 + the labor differential and that's only one route. 

Right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BrooklynBus said:

Actually, four round trips is $80. So it's $30,000. 

I was agreeing with your general comment, not the figures per se. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so the real cost is paying the driver.  The fuel is the one thing they can kind of control since they buy in bulk, but God help them if there's a supply problem...

Which only proves my point. A $1/hr differential for an 8 hour shift is $8. That's probably even less than the fuel differential which again isn't much. And many companies/agencies offer 10% night differential, so if that's the case at the MTA that alone I'd more than the artic differential. Like I said, $1/hr is a joke.

6 hours ago, BrooklynBus said:

Yes, paying the driver is the primary cost. But you can't look at it as just a ten mile trip. You have look at it as what it costs for the entire overnight shift. So if four round trips are made, it's $40. But the MTA does all their costs annually. So that would be $14,600 + the labor differential and that's only one route. 

Do artics actually use 1.5 times as much fuel per mile as standards  (serious question)? In any case, you're under the assumption that the extra capacity is useless for the entire shift. If a driver works from say, midnight to 8am the extra capacity is certainly useful between 6am and 8am.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Which only proves my point. A $1/hr differential for an 8 hour shift is $8. That's probably even less than the fuel differential which again isn't much. And many companies/agencies offer 10% night differential, so if that's the case at the MTA that alone I'd more than the artic differential. Like I said, $1/hr is a joke.

Do artics actually use 1.5 times as much fuel per mile as standards  (serious question)? In any case, you're under the assumption that the extra capacity is useless for the entire shift. If a driver works from say, midnight to 8am the extra capacity is certainly useful between 6am and 8am.

My calculations were incorrect and I don't know how much extra fuel artics use, but 50 percent more does not sound illogical. Regarding shifts I don't know how many of them end at 8 AM, but that is sonetging else to consider. Maybe if they were from 10 PM to 6 AM, it would save money by using standard buses. The Q53 doesn't carry more than a handful of passengers during those hours. Sixty foot buses do not seem to make sense there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Around the Horn said:

What they need to do is have the Eagle Team inspect tickets while the bus is motion.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:36 PM, Cait Sith said:

It would work if they were to ride the route the entire way.

I'm indifferent to the notion, but I chuckle at this b/c it's reminiscent of the old "we need more cops on the buses" suggestion/point/argument that used to be brought up on these transit forums (incl. here on NYCTF)....

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:56 PM, BrooklynBus said:

Why would they have to ride the route the entire way? The bus driver could just not open the doors again until they are finished. 

The more (farebeaters caught), the merrier?

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, Cait Sith said:

The issue is that Eagle Teams are largely nonexistent for the most part, I can't remember the last time I've seen any in Manhattan, or in Queens (except for the debut of the Q52/Q53 SBS).

Yeah, that's the thing about the program; I haven't seen 'em on any SBS bus I've rode on in years - it was to the point where I thought they abandoned the program & laid those guys off......

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, BrooklynBus said:

Sounds like they could use more than one route over the Whitestone.

They could stand to run another BPH overnight on the Q44.

The Q50 (the other route that runs via the Whitestone.... which doesn't have/need overnight service) won't do too much for those riders (I have also been on several crushloaded Q44's from Flushing [towards the Bronx] during those hours & I find that most folks get off b/w Parkchester & E. Tremont av......

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

My calculations were incorrect and I don't know how much extra fuel artics use, but 50 percent more does not sound illogical. Regarding shifts I don't know how many of them end at 8 AM, but that is sonetging else to consider. Maybe if they were from 10 PM to 6 AM, it would save money by using standard buses. The Q53 doesn't carry more than a handful of passengers during those hours. Sixty foot buses do not seem to make sense there. 

I'm inclined to agree here...... Bee-Line for instance, has a tendency to use artics as willy-nilly as they do 40 footers....

For example, you have people sardined on 40 foot buses operating on the BL-60 sometimes on the weekend b/w The Bronx & White Plains.... At the same time, artics being ran on BL-6's (Yonkers-Pleasantvlle) not even coming close to a seated load, let alone SRO on the weekends....

Edited by B35 via Church
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2018 at 1:18 PM, Around the Horn said:

What they need to do is have the Eagle Team inspect tickets while the bus is motion.

They are starting to do this already. A week or two ago I seen eagle team posted at the doors of a Q44 riding along, checking people as they come on. There were only people at the first two doors however. Still a good concept and they should do it more often 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 11:38 AM, Q64 To Forest Hills said:

They are starting to do this already. A week or two ago I seen eagle team posted at the doors of a Q44 riding along, checking people as they come on. There were only people at the first two doors however. Still a good concept and they should do it more often 

over the last 2 weeks, i've seen the eagle team have team members board the q53sbs on 75 & bway and exit at hoffman, covering all 3 doors

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

over the last 2 weeks, i've seen the eagle team have team members board the q53sbs on 75 & bway and exit at hoffman, covering all 3 doors

They need to have 3 sets of teams covering the B44 & B46 SBS covering major intersections and riding along. Haven't heard anything in regards to the Brooklyn eagle teams patrolling those lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lately they've been cracking down harder on the Manhattan crosstowns. I used to never see eagle teams out one them but I've seen them quite a few times over the past few weeks checking out the 23 and both 34s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, Future ENY OP said:

They need to have 3 sets of teams covering the B44 & B46 SBS covering major intersections and riding along. Haven't heard anything in regards to the Brooklyn eagle teams patrolling those lines. 

Actually on the 44 they have boarded on my bus just to take a ride to the next inspection point on the line.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2018 at 12:43 PM, DueceDrives said:

Actually on the 44 they have boarded on my bus just to take a ride to the next inspection point on the line.

It's been over 2 years since I've last been checked and I ride SBS routes all over the city. I find it weird that I haven't been checked in so long.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IAlam said:

It's been over 2 years since I've last been checked and I ride SBS routes all over the city. I find it weird that I haven't been checked in so long.

They're too busy stuffing their faces that's why.  I was on the BxM2 passing by West 81st and Central Park West and I always look to see if they're around because that's a favorite stop of theirs.  I go to look at the Belgian Waffle truck and spot two of them online waiting to order waffles. A M79 was coming into the stop heading west too, which they obviously weren't going to check. I guess all of those tickets they have to scan make them hungry. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four out of every five mornings I’d see the Eagle teams at the (4) train stop for the Bx12. After the morning however.... very sporadic.

I laugh to myself whenever i see them by Baychester (the stop before the mall) because it shows how lazy they can be as the depot that they clock in and out of is literally around the corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All quiet on the B/82 front in terms of the local newspaper and magazine coverage down in southern Brooklyn.

Chaim Deutsch has found another issue to get himself in front of the cameras as he wants the party boats to be moved to Flatbush Avenue or opposite the Mill Basin Community. Another way to dump his problems on another councilman's (Allan Meisel) district.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually board the 44SBS a few times and not one eagle team was present. You would think they would be around in the Junction but nope

Edited by Yankees4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

I actually board the 44SBS a few times and not one eagle team was present. You would think they would be around in the Junction but nope

I’ve seen them at Nostrand/St. Johns a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.