Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

3 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

But aren’t these older buses on there way out? You taking about RTS’s  Orion 7s right? Also most of the routes in question are also articulate routes and buses are you taking ENY routes?  UP?  Both are XD40 depots could Nova and XD60’s even be used there? Why did they order articulates as  priority if that’s the case. What’s the avg age of the bus at these depots?

Even so lines with new buses generally have not had any other improvements.  I asked Assemblyman Cohen over a year go to allocate funding for countdown clocks in Riverdale and this is something that many of constituents have asked for.  He stated that he would do so.  We have yet to see any in all of Riverdale. There is ONE countdown clock at 231st and Broadway in Kingsbridge which is buggy at buest. Meanwhile, you go along the M79 and M86, and just about every stop has the high-end countdown clocks showing multiple buses that are coming, the way it should be in 2018.  It's a perfect example of how much priority SBS is give over other bus routes.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even so lines with new buses generally have not had any other improvements.  I asked Assemblyman Cohen over a year go to allocate funding for countdown clocks in Riverdale and this is something that many of constituents have asked for.  He stated that he would do so.  We have yet to see any in all of Riverdale. There is ONE countdown clock at 231st and Broadway in Kingsbridge which is buggy at buest. Meanwhile, you go along the M79 and M86, and just about every stop has the high-end countdown clocks showing multiple buses that are coming, the way it should be in 2018.  It's a perfect example of how much priority SBS is give over other bus routes.

The 231st and Broadway in Riverdale stop makes sense it’s a high volume transfer spot with 5 bus lines and subway in the immediate area. What’s the ridership numbers on the M86 vs the Bx10 or 20? That’s your answer. Maybe the 7 stops at 238 and 236 southbound I remember those stops being heavily used.  There are other measurements that should be used  in the decision for the clocks. Transfer points and stop ridership are the major two I can think of.   Affluent ranking and self worthiness  definitely down the line.  If you ask any person any Person in any neighborhood if they want countdown clocks of course they would say yes  who wouldn’t?Money doesn’t grow on trees you know.  Have to prioritize.

Edited by RailRunRob

Just now, RailRunRob said:

The 231st and Broadway in Riverdale stop makes sense it’s a high volume transfer spot with 5 bus lines and subway in the immediate area. What’s the ridership numbers on the M86 vs the Bx10 or 20? That’s your answer. Maybe the 7 stops at 238 and 236 southbound I remember those stops being heavily used.  There are other measurements that should be used  in the decision for the clocks transfer points and stop ridership are major two I can think of.   Affluent ranking and self worthiness  definitely down the line.  If you ask any person any Person in any neighborhood if they want countdown clocks of course they would say yes  who wouldn’t?Money doesn’t grow on tree you know.  Have to prioritize.

231st and Broadway is in Kingsbridge. There are no countdown clocks in all of Riverdale for a neighborhood where many people rely heavily on buses.  It's absurd, especially considering how many seniors live here.  The Councilman allocated the funds for the countdown clocks.  However, I'm not sure how the SBS countdown clocks were paid for.  They may be funded by elected officials.  If so, clearly our councilman can set aside funding for such clocks at some of the bigger stops like Kappock and Knolls Crescent in Spuyten Duyvil, Henry Hudson Parkway and West 239th and Riverdale and West 236th in Central Riverdale.

Regarding the new bus stop signs, they should really make some with only one or two screens. It's absurd to see a bus stop sign with three screens, of which two are never used.

Edited by P3F

1 minute ago, P3F said:

Regarding the new bus stop signs, they should really make some with only one or two screens. It's absurd to see a bus stop sign with three screens, of which two are never used.

Yeah we have one near me for the B67/B69 with a empty slot.

Edited by RailRunRob

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The Councilman allocated the funds for the countdown clocks

If that’s the case which I didn’t know it to be. No wonder the UES has them. Even we have some on this side. Maybe it’s a funding issue.

Edited by RailRunRob

2 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

What side of the street? If it’s on the western side of the side it’s Riverdale it’s always been.

Either way it's Kingsbridge.  You can look at Google maps to confirm. Riverdale does not go that far east at 231st and never has.  It ends east of Riverdale Avenue at West 231st, so as I said there are no countdown clocks anywhere in Riverdale.  If you're talking about Broadway, then sure at 242nd that is Riverdale, but not south of that.

6 minutes ago, P3F said:

There's a stop at Madison and 79th that I find really bizarre. There's no slot for the M4, so unless you have BusTime on your phone, you won't know when an M4 is coming aside from seeing one come down the street. I'm still wondering who in the hell approved of that one. <_<

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Either way it's Kingsbridge.  You can look at Google maps to confirm. Riverdale does not go that far east at 231st and never has.  It ends east of Riverdale Avenue at West 231st, so as I said there are no countdown clocks anywhere in Riverdale.  If you're talking about Broadway, then sure at 242nd that is Riverdale, but not south of that.

My Family’s lived in Riverdale for over 50 years I’ve never heard that. Broadway has always been the borderline. From 230th up.

Edited by RailRunRob

My Family’s lived in Riverdale for over 50 years I’ve never heard that. Broadway has always been the borderline. From 230th up.

I can see how people would believe that, but it's officially incorrect.  They even named that Target in Marble Hill as "Target - Riverdale" which is comical. It's nowhere close to Riverdale, but hey if it works in charging higher rents, might as well name everything Riverdale. If that's all RIverdale going west of Broadway on 231st, then that makes Kingsbridge almost non-existent, which is simply not the case. lol 

Back to your point on the bus stops.  I believe Cohen has allocated funding for the stops, but I'm not sure why it's taking so long to put in more of them.  

9 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I can see how people would believe that, but it's officially incorrect.  They even named that Target in Marble Hill as "Target - Riverdale" which is comical. It's nowhere close to Riverdale, but hey if it works in charging higher rents, might as well name everything Riverdale. If that's all RIverdale going west of Broadway on 231st, then that makes Kingsbridge almost non-existent, which is simply not the case. lol 

Back to your point on the bus stops.  I believe Cohen has allocated funding for the stops, but I'm not sure why it's taking so long to put in more of them.  

Says the newcomer! Guy. My grandmother and Aunt both served on CB8 worked with Kopells they  verified and checked all the businesses on West 231st I was told the line is Broadway by  officials. Show me where it  officially says otherwise. And btw it’s all CB8 Riverdale Kingsbridge Heights  Kingsbridge Fieldston so your grouped in like it or not. FYI  we all know Marble Hill is Manhattan it’s the basics with 230th being the line.   Maybe they found more important things to allocate the funding to programs, education?

Edited by RailRunRob

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

Says the newcomer Guy. My grandmother and Aunt both served on CB8 worked with Kopells they  verified and checked all the businesses on West 231st I was told the line is Broadway by  officials. Show me where it  officially says otherwise. And btw it’s all CB8 Riverdale Kingsbridge Heights  Kingsbridge Fieldston so your grouped in like it or not. FYI  we all know Marble Hill is Manhattan it’s the basics with 230th being the line.   Maybe they found more important things to allocate the funding to programs, education?

I've been here almost 7 years now, but anywho, a simple search online confirms this, so you can bring up whoever you want if it makes you feel better.  As I said there are none in Riverdale, and only one in Kingsbridge from what I've seen. Bus stops were picked by the community as that's what they wanted the funding to go towards, so it's basically a question of how long will it take for them to be installed and how much funding is allocated for it.  There were supposed to be at least one or two going down in Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale.

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've been here almost 7 years now, but anywho, a simple search online confirms this, so you can bring up whoever you want if it makes you feel better.  As I said there are none in Riverdale, and only one in Kingsbridge from what I've seen. Bus stops were picked by the community as that's what they wanted the funding to go towards, so it's basically a question of how long will it take for them to be installed and how much funding is allocated for it.  There were supposed to be at least one or two going down in Spuyten Duyvil and Central Riverdale.

Indeed let’s agree to disagree  it’s just an imaginary man made line anyways same community board same ZIP Code. SBS types or what we have out this way and Staten Island bus sign types?

Indeed let’s agree to disagree  it’s just an imaginary man made line anyways same community board same ZIP Code. SBS types or what we have out this way and Staten Island bus sign types?

I wish they were SBS style.  That's what should be going up.  They're just the electronic version of the lollipop signs.

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I wish they were SBS style.  That's what should be going up.  They're just the electronic version of the lollipop signs.

They get the point across better then no information at all.

Edited by RailRunRob

1. We get freshly paved bus lanes on Pennsylvania Avenue 

2.theres all this construction on glenwood rd and around the Rockaway Parkway station 

3.there are bus land makers along flatlands Ave

4.Eny depots are getting their brands new bus and there sbs wrapped and it goes straight on the b82

Is this all a coincidence or is the b82 actually coming soon ? 

12 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

2.theres all this construction on glenwood rd and around the Rockaway Parkway station 

4.Eny depots are getting their brands new bus and there sbs wrapped and it goes straight on the b82

Im assuming this fall pick....

7 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Im assuming this fall pick....

So let me summarize. The plan was supposed to go into effect in July. There was protest because the community claimed they weren't heard. Byford delays the plan, supposedly halting construction so there could be more community input. Meanwhile there is no place on the MTA website to oust comments and DOT closed their comment page last May and no further events are held. Meanwhile construction continues for a likely fall implementation. So what did the delay accomplish? Just pretending to listen to the community and more phoniness and lies by DOT and the MTA. 

8 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

The construction around the Canarsie area has nothing to do with sbs. They’re redoing the pipes underground and that’s been going on since January. The only thing they would need to do around there is covert glenwood ave back into a two way street. 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBus said:

So let me summarize. The plan was supposed to go into effect in July. There was protest because the community claimed they weren't heard. Byford delays the plan, supposedly halting construction so there could be more community input. Meanwhile there is no place on the MTA website to oust comments and DOT closed their comment page last May and no further events are held. Meanwhile construction continues for a likely fall implementation. So what did the delay accomplish? Just pretending to listen to the community and more phoniness and lies by DOT and the MTA. 

I’m assuming early 2019 for SBS on Flatlands Avenue. However, (MTA) may quietly install this in September or a special pick in October. The south Brooklyn delegation needs to be on top of this or else you will see havoc on Kings Highway. 

26 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I’m assuming early 2019 for SBS on Flatlands Avenue. However, (MTA) may quietly install this in September or a special pick in October. The south Brooklyn delegation needs to be on top of this or else you will see havoc on Kings Highway. 

Whatever deals are being made, it is being done in private. No one is releasing any information.