Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

So why did people complain about the B82 SBS? To many lane closures?

My big problem is there is no justification for exclusive lanes on the wide portion of Kings Highway. bus speeds there are already about 17 to 20 mph and the speed limit is 25 mph, so exclusive lanes will not make them travel any faster. 

26 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

My big problem is there is no justification for exclusive lanes on the wide portion of Kings Highway. bus speeds there are already about 17 to 20 mph and the speed limit is 25 mph, so exclusive lanes will not make them travel any faster. 

Bus lanes works..... as long other vehicles stays off if them they help us move quicker through traffic.

9 hours ago, DueceDrives said:

Bus lanes works..... as long other vehicles stays off if them they help us move quicker through traffic.

But on the wide portion of Kings Highway there is no traffic even during the rush hours as the average bus speeds show. The lanes will create traffic where none exists now by reducing the main road to one traffic lane.

Speaking of the B46 +SBS, my concerns with FB to receive the 2019 XD60s along with the B44 +SBS was the when Utica after Eastern Parkway(into Crown Heights) gets a bit narrower making it a concerning space for those 60 footers. Especially with JG receiving the XN60s , Church Ave is a narrower street with much cars and dollar cabs huddled together.

3 hours ago, King Transit said:

Speaking of the B46 +SBS, my concerns with FB to receive the 2019 XD60s along with the B44 +SBS was the when Utica after Eastern Parkway(into Crown Heights) gets a bit narrower making it a concerning space for those 60 footers. Especially with JG receiving the XN60s , Church Ave is a narrower street with much cars and dollar cabs huddled together.

It will be tough cookies but it can be managed.... The 44+ Faces tight space on Nostrand Avenue near Plaza auto mall dealing with the double park vehicles on both direction of the road. But my concern is these commuters van that just don’t give a crap about us.

6 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

It will be tough cookies but it can be managed.... The 44+ Faces tight space on Nostrand Avenue near Plaza auto mall dealing with the double park vehicles on both direction of the road. But my concern is these commuters van that just don’t give a crap about us.

This reminds of last year around November , there's a black '98 Ford Victoria as a dollar cab that drives reckless and nearly crashed into the B46 +SBS I was riding in and everybody was right , those commuter vehicles don't stand this transit system as what you just said.

1 minute ago, King Transit said:

This reminds of last year around November , there's a black '98 Ford Victoria as a dollar cab that drives reckless and nearly crashed into the B46 +SBS I was riding in and everybody was right , those commuter vehicles don't stand this transit system as what you just said.

Who the hell in their right state of mind be capable of riding in a Dollar Van, not just only risking their life, but in danger of being abducted by god knows the person driving that thing.

1 minute ago, WestFarms36 said:

Who the hell in their right state of mind be capable of riding in a Dollar Van, not just only risking their life, but in danger of being abducted by god knows the person driving that thing.

IKR , I mean rhetorically "What's the coincidence" ?

I ride the dollar van/cabs sometimes when I run late to school or work

3 minutes ago, King Transit said:

IKR , I mean rhetorically "What's the coincidence" ?

I ride the dollar van/cabs sometimes when I run late to school or work

How the hell do you even trust riding in a dollar van? God forbid those never maintained old vans lose their brakes, or criminals are abducting people, or robbing in those unsafe vehicles. I would never ride on illegal, unregistered, profit hungry, unsafe vehicles. Never would I put my life, or my family's life in danger.

22 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

You mean like this poor woman... or this one.... or, this one ?

32 minutes ago, WestFarms36 said:

How the hell do you even trust riding in a dollar van? God forbid those never maintained old vans lose their brakes, or criminals are abducting people, or robbing in those unsafe vehicles. I would never ride on illegal, unregistered, profit hungry, unsafe vehicles. Never would I put my life, or my family's life in 

29 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

You mean like this poor woman... or this one.... or, this one ?

LMFAOOOOOOOOO exactly!!!!!!!!!!

In practice, the main difference in regards to the matter of passenger safety between an UBER driver and a MTA bus operator is the level of professionalism demanded by those jobs. Nobody's watching over an UBER/lyft/etc. driver except the passengers. MTA - whole different calibur.

Most NON-ride sharing/mobile app cabbies/dollar van drivers drive "reckless" (defensively) - unlike a bus that has established fares, they have to hunt for their fares, and first impression and professionalism is everything to keep a flowing customer base. The reason why some UBER/lyft/etc. drivers don't take the job seriously is because they don't have the task of hunting for passengers, the passengers come to them. They don't have to hunt, and I've heard more cases of those drivers engaging in criminal acts, as opposed to a dollar van or illegal cab or even a yellow cab. 

36 minutes ago, Rick44 said:

In practice, the main difference in regards to the matter of passenger safety between an UBER driver and a MTA bus operator is the level of professionalism demanded by those jobs. Nobody's watching over an UBER/lyft/etc. driver except the passengers. MTA - whole different calibur.

Most NON-ride sharing/mobile app cabbies/dollar van drivers drive "reckless" (defensively) - unlike a bus that has established fares, they have to hunt for their fares, and first impression and professionalism is everything to keep a flowing customer base. The reason why some UBER/lyft/etc. drivers don't take the job seriously is because they don't have the task of hunting for passengers, the passengers come to them. They don't have to hunt, and I've heard more cases of those drivers engaging in criminal acts, as opposed to a dollar van or illegal cab or even a yellow cab. 

Perfectly said 🙂 

2 hours ago, Rick44 said:

Yeah, dollar cab/van drivers aint out here abducting/kidnapping people; that's taking his point about safety too far......

While I'll admit the dollar cab/van drivers drive with a wanton disregard (you meant offensively btw; lot of them wouldn't know what defensive driving was if it hit em in the face), it's some of these uBer (and even the yellow/green) cab drivers out here going too far with the pu$$y hounding shit (keepin it all the way funky).... To add to your point about not taking it seriously (and I've said this before on here), some of these lames that do the Lyft, uBer, etc. thing use it as a "vehicle" to try to get women.... Sucker shit.

When it comes to professionalism, some MTA b/o's aren't exactly scoring too many points in that category either, but yes, they are held to a standard, regardless.... When an uBer, etc. driver is unprofessional, what, you give him a demerit (represented by lesser stars or whatever)... When you step into a dollar cab/van, you know going in that you aint goin' get professionalism... Not saying that's right or wrong, but the protocol is, he takes you where you're going, you STFU in-between, you give him the 2 bucks, and you GTFO.....

8 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Yeah, dollar cab/van drivers aint out here abducting/kidnapping people; that's taking his point about safety too far......

While I'll admit the dollar cab/van drivers drive with a wanton disregard (you meant offensively btw; lot of them wouldn't know what defensive driving was if it hit em in the face), it's some of these uBer (and even the yellow/green) cab drivers out here going too far with the pu$$y hounding shit (keepin it all the way funky).... To add to your point about not taking it seriously (and I've said this before on here), some of these lames that do the Lyft, uBer, etc. thing use it as a "vehicle" to try to get women.... Sucker shit.

When it comes to professionalism, some MTA b/o's aren't exactly scoring too many points in that category either, but yes, they are held to a standard, regardless.... When an uBer, etc. driver is unprofessional, what, you give him a demerit (represented by lesser stars or whatever)... When you step into a dollar cab/van, you know going in that you aint goin' get professionalism... Not saying that's right or wrong, but the protocol is, he takes you where you're going, you STFU in-between, you give him the 2 bucks, and you GTFO.....

extreme facts. especially on Flatbush. I've had my fair share of drivers being a**holes. Whether it be driving or taking the van.

Let me tell you about my experience yesterday on the M34 SBS at about 5:50 PM. Once a month I take the subway to 34th and 6th and then walk over to 8th Avenue. I look to see if an M34 is coming. Most of the time there is none in sight and I walk to 8th before a bus gets there or we get there about the same time.

Yesterday, I see an M34 SBS waiting at the traffic light so I get a receipt and get on the bus. There are only about 15 people on the bus and only about four got on or off, but rather than close the doors, the driver waits for about 30 seconds. I figured maybe he saw someone getting a receipt and he wanted to be nice. Then he starts moving no faster than five mph. I can't understand why he is going so slow but think maybe the signal mid block is red, so there is no reason to go faster. Once he passes it, he continues at the same slow speed. 

At 7th Avenue he stops and waits at least 30 seconds although no one is getting on or off. Then a bus dispatcher and another bus driver come over and start talking to the driver of the bus I am on. The dispatcher says, "I have no buses so take it easy." The driver answers: "That's what I have been doing." The other driver then chimes in: "Plenty of OTO," My driver says: " That's right." (OTO means Overtime Offset.) 

Then the driver continues again slower than 5 mph, barely moving. So I get up to see if cars or trucks are in the bus lane and I see the entire block to Eighth Avenue is 100 percent clear and the bus stop is on the near side, so it doesn't matter if the light is read or green and rather than getting there in 15 seconds or so, it takes him like two minutes. 

So I finally say to him. "I thought SBS supposed to be fast, so why are you going so slow? He answers: "Do you want to drive the bus?" People cut in front of you all the time." I said, "but there are no people or cars in front of you right now." Then he says. " Have a nice day." Then I made several more remarks and he answered all of them with " Have a nice day." 

Bottom line: with no waiting for the bus, an empty bus lane, zero traffic and a nearly empty bus. The two blocks from Sixth to Eighth Avenue took six or seven minutes, the same as walking speed. That is a far cry from a 15 minute river to river trip the MTA was initially promising when it first proposed SBS on 34th Street. 

It was easy to see what is happening here. The MTA blames slow crosstown travel times on blocked lanes or traffic, when the reality is the drivers are in cahoots with the dispatchers for them to acquire needless overtime while the passengers suffer.

19 minutes ago, BrooklynBus said:

Let me tell you about my experience yesterday on the M34 SBS at about 5:50 PM. Once a month I take the subway to 34th and 6th and then walk over to 8th Avenue. I look to see if an M34 is coming. Most of the time there is none in sight and I walk to 8th before a bus gets there or we get there about the same time.

Yesterday, I see an M34 SBS waiting at the traffic light so I get a receipt and get on the bus. There are only about 15 people on the bus and only about four got on or off, but rather than close the doors, the driver waits for about 30 seconds. I figured maybe he saw someone getting a receipt and he wanted to be nice. Then he starts moving no faster than five mph. I can't understand why he is going so slow but think maybe the signal mid block is red, so there is no reason to go faster. Once he passes it, he continues at the same slow speed. 

At 7th Avenue he stops and waits at least 30 seconds although no one is getting on or off. Then a bus dispatcher and another bus driver come over and start talking to the driver of the bus I am on. The dispatcher says, "I have no buses so take it easy." The driver answers: "That's what I have been doing." The other driver then chimes in: "Plenty of OTO," My driver says: " That's right." (OTO means Overtime Offset.) 

Then the driver continues again slower than 5 mph, barely moving. So I get up to see if cars or trucks are in the bus lane and I see the entire block to Eighth Avenue is 100 percent clear and the bus stop is on the near side, so it doesn't matter if the light is read or green and rather than getting there in 15 seconds or so, it takes him like two minutes. 

So I finally say to him. "I thought SBS supposed to be fast, so why are you going so slow? He answers: "Do you want to drive the bus?" People cut in front of you all the time." I said, "but there are no people or cars in front of you right now." Then he says. " Have a nice day." Then I made several more remarks and he answered all of them with " Have a nice day." 

Bottom line: with no waiting for the bus, an empty bus lane, zero traffic and a nearly empty bus. The two blocks from Sixth to Eighth Avenue took six or seven minutes, the same as walking speed. That is a far cry from a 15 minute river to river trip the MTA was initially promising when it first proposed SBS on 34th Street. 

It was easy to see what is happening here. The MTA blames slow crosstown travel times on blocked lanes or traffic, when the reality is the drivers are in cahoots with the dispatchers for them to acquire needless overtime while the passengers suffer.

Buses are on schedule...... Sometimes we have to slow down to avoid being ahead of schedule. Transit rather us late than early...... 

5 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

Buses are on schedule...... Sometimes we have to slow down to avoid being ahead of schedule. Transit rather us late than early...... 

Yeah but if you have a schedule, then the M34SBS should show that schedule at the bus stops.  If you look at the timetables on the M34 at each bus stop, it gives you an approximate time of when a bus should be there rather the actual time.  I absolutely HATE that set up because the M34 runs usually four buses off-peak in each direction, so if you don't have access to BusTime, you may be waiting a while because you have no idea when a bus is actually due.  You could guess that a bus is due say 15 minutes from the time you arrived at the stop, and that's about it.

I should also point out that the whole point of that set up and SBS is to allow B/Os to pick-up and keep going, not sit around and wait, otherwise it isn't SBS at all. What BrooklynBus described is not what I've seen on most other SBS lines, but since that line runs so infrequently it's clear that dispatch had the driver sit around and wait to see if there was anyone else to pick up. They would be better off running more service if anything. 15 minutes is far too long for a crosstown bus.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8