Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

18 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

Today and tomorrow are religious holidays so that ridership may be lower on the Kings Highway portion of the route. 

Which is also probably why traffic was so great today. But even still a lot of people in that area have to become familiar with sbs. The local B82 was packed but I guess over time those same people who want a faster service will hop on the sbs realizing they now have an all day limited service. Even when the B82 had limited service a lot of people just hopped whatever came first and it often lead to a lot of people becoming confused on to why they missed their local stop.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 of B82 sbs

So this morning taking the 82 sbs the bus was about 10 to 11 minutes to get to flatlands and avenue k. I'm assuming its off peak around by 8am so if it is the bus came as the schedule said it would come. There were about two locals that passed by. Since I travel for my job I took the 82 sbs three times today. So the second time the bus was on schedule to arrive in half and hour. I told the guys who were helping passengers with the tickets if it was right and they said a local is on its way so I got on that. As soon as I got to where I was going I checked the transit app and the bus was supposed to get to kings hwy and east 16th street in 14 minutes this was around 1pm. So i'm assuming another bus was starting up while I took the bus to my destination. On my way home which was the third time the bus came around a few minutes. It was around 4pm so I guess thats rush hour. There were two buses that came and It was a nice ride home. Got home shaving off 4 to 6 minutes like yesterday. 

My thoughts so far is this. Being how sbs is now live it seems that the 82 has a lot more buses on its route than before. Usually in the past I would wait for like 10-20 minutes for a bus and if it was off peak hours it would be a local and it would always be crowded. But now theres more options and if the sbs isn't there you could hop on the local. The crowd is more evened out for now being how some people may not know how to pay for sbs. Being how its a religious holiday I can't judge so much on time because about half of the people have taken sbs since yesterday than usual. So I guess tomorrow we'll see how sbs fairs out with regular traffic. 

What I think they can do better in this case is put more buses for sbs and have more frequent service during off peak hours. For instance I think waiting 10 minutes off peak is absurd because some people may be looking to get where they're going faster. If the local comes before sbs then why wait for sbs if the local is going to get there before? Also If I pay for sbs and a local comes up there's no guarantee the bus driver is going to accept my ticket. To add on the DOT and NYPD needs to enforce bus lanes and truck loading zones more. Too many personal vehicles are disregarding the laws as I have seen way too many people parked in the bus lanes on 16th street and loading zones. Also that new intersection on avenue K needs work. The buses are making tight turns and its a close call. 

2 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

Day 2 of B82 sbs

So this morning taking the 82 sbs the bus was about 10 to 11 minutes to get to flatlands and avenue k. I'm assuming its off peak around by 8am so if it is the bus came as the schedule said it would come. There were about two locals that passed by. Since I travel for my job I took the 82 sbs three times today. So the second time the bus was on schedule to arrive in half and hour. I told the guys who were helping passengers with the tickets if it was right and they said a local is on its way so I got on that. As soon as I got to where I was going I checked the transit app and the bus was supposed to get to kings hwy and east 16th street in 14 minutes this was around 1pm. So i'm assuming another bus was starting up while I took the bus to my destination. On my way home which was the third time the bus came around a few minutes. It was around 4pm so I guess thats rush hour. There were two buses that came and It was a nice ride home. Got home shaving off 4 to 6 minutes like yesterday. 

My thoughts so far is this. Being how sbs is now live it seems that the 82 has a lot more buses on its route than before. Usually in the past I would wait for like 10-20 minutes for a bus and if it was off peak hours it would be a local and it would always be crowded. But now theres more options and if the sbs isn't there you could hop on the local. The crowd is more evened out for now being how some people may not know how to pay for sbs. Being how its a religious holiday I can't judge so much on time because about half of the people have taken sbs since yesterday than usual. So I guess tomorrow we'll see how sbs fairs out with regular traffic. 

What I think they can do better in this case is put more buses for sbs and have more frequent service during off peak hours. For instance I think waiting 10 minutes off peak is absurd because some people may be looking to get where they're going faster. If the local comes before sbs then why wait for sbs if the local is going to get there before? Also If I pay for sbs and a local comes up there's no guarantee the bus driver is going to accept my ticket. To add on the DOT and NYPD needs to enforce bus lanes and truck loading zones more. Too many personal vehicles are disregarding the laws as I have seen way too many people parked in the bus lanes on 16th street and loading zones. Also that new intersection on avenue K needs work. The buses are making tight turns and its a close call. 

If you pay for an SBS ticket and get on the local instead, the operator suppose to honor it. You paid your fare respectively.

DOT and NYPD needs to help us out but it doesn’t looks like things will change unless the Mayor say something.

41 minutes ago, DueceDrives said:

If you pay for an SBS ticket and get on the local instead, the operator suppose to honor it. You paid your fare respectively.

DOT and NYPD needs to help us out but it doesn’t looks like things will change unless the Mayor say something.

DOT and NYPD are always at MTA's throat.

DOT takes forever to do road stuff.

NYPD likes to park in our bus lanes and MTA gets the heat for it.

Don’t you think 9min in the am is kinda long for a sbs bus when the 6 limited comes in 3-4 mins and pm 10 min when the 6 limited comes in like every 3-4 min in bunches as well. The 6 is being used extra because people don’t know about sbs or the 6 just comes before and by the time 82 sbs comes the stops are empty . I think am and pm rush should be aleast 5-7 minutes and we need to continue to promote sbs so it can gain ridership because who used to take the limited aren’t taking the sbs.

3 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Don’t you think 9min in the am is kinda long for a sbs bus when the 6 limited comes in 3-4 mins and pm 10 min when the 6 limited comes in like every 3-4 min in bunches as well. The 6 is being used extra because people don’t know about sbs or the 6 just comes before and by the time 82 sbs comes the stops are empty . I think am and pm rush should be aleast 5-7 minutes and we need to continue to promote sbs so it can gain ridership because who used to take the limited aren’t taking the sbs.

They aren't taking the sbs because they aren't familiar with the service yet. B44 was the same way and it took years for northbound buses to start filling up. 

17 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

I think its 4 to 6 minutes in the rush hour and 10 minutes off peak. But yeah I do feel that it is way too long to wait. The only benefit from this is that the local 82 can just focus on itself while sbs is its own and not interlined. So to from what I see is that there's more buses for people. The crowds on the 82 are more spread out though which is also beneficial. 

43 minutes ago, Kingjunior34 said:

People still wait for the B82 LTD even though I had to explain to them then it dosen't run anymore.

Also, someone got into a heated argument with a B82 SBS driver because he thought that she was lying about not going to Coney Island.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

People still wait for the B82 LTD even though I had to explain to them then it dosen't run anymore.

Also, someone got into a heated argument with a B82 SBS driver because he thought that she was lying about not going to Coney Island.

Now.. that's crazy.

1 hour ago, Kingjunior34 said:

Right now it is early to tell if the (MTA) goofed on this 82SBS. However, from what I'm reading right now is that it is a total mess. NO SBS should be running with 10 minute headways during the PEAK rush. That's no way to be running an SBS. If that were the case, keep the LTD and expand headways along with the bus lanes.

Also, some of those riders are looking for Coney Island bound service and not Bay 37th Street

2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Now.. that's crazy.

Right now it is early to tell if the (MTA) goofed on this 82SBS. However, from what I'm reading right now is that it is a total mess. NO SBS should be running with 10 minute headways during the PEAK rush. That's no way to be running an SBS. If that were the case, keep the LTD and expand headways along with the bus lanes.

Also, some of those riders are looking for Coney Island bound service and not Bay 37th Street

Thank you . It’s sbs buses are supposed to come back to back especially since they running 40 footers 

and we need weekends service as well . I don’t understand the b82 sbs is getting the under treatment as if it’s not a major line . Honestly I believe this all because of the postponement. 

Edited by Kingjunior34

1 hour ago, Kingjunior34 said:

7 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Now.. that's crazy.

Rush is 4-7 minutes and off peak is 8-12 minutes.

It's not a total mess at all. It's going a lot more smooth than some other introductions. However one major issue is the fact that none of the buses were showing up on BusTime, and the schedule was not available in a timely fashion. I also think there could have been more timepoints on the schedule, but then again most people don't use it anymore. I know if I'm checking  schedule there's a slim chance it will one of MTA's printed PDF ones. 

32 minutes ago, East New York said:

It's not a total mess at all. It's going a lot more smooth than some other introductions. However one major issue is the fact that none of the buses were showing up on BusTime, and the schedule was not available in a timely fashion. I also think there could have been more timepoints on the schedule, but then again most people don't use it anymore. I know if I'm checking  schedule there's a slim chance it will one of MTA's printed PDF ones. 

As I said in my post earlier there’s more buses for the 82 than when it was just the local and rush hour limited. For every two sbs there’s two locals. It’s amazing to me because literally last week every local would be jammed packed because it would be a long wait but now since there’s two versions of the 82 you have more buses for people. Today when I was waiting for the 82 midday/off peak the sbs was sort of late but right after a few minutes a local showed up. Last week it would have taken that local 15 minutes to get there. Basically more frequent 82 buses and I feel that’s a plus. 

Could there be better improvements with 82 sbs? Yes but even still it’s an improvement from what we had. 

Edited by Brillant93

3 minutes ago, Brillant93 said:

As I said in my post earlier there’s more buses for the 82 than when it was just the local and rush hour limited. For every two sbs there’s two locals. It’s amazing to me because literally last week every local would be jammed packed because it would be a long wait but now since there’s two versions of the 82 you have more buses for people. Today when I was waiting for the 82 midday/off peak the sbs was sort of late but right after a few minutes a local showed up. Last week it would have taken that local 15 minutes to get there. Basically more frequent 82 buses and I feel that’s a plus. 

Could there be better improvements with 82 sbs? Yes but even still it’s an improvement from what we had. 

Yes I think there could be a couple more improvements, and I will be bringing that up soon. One of which is weekend service. after a couple weeks of evaluation I will complete my assessment and then give the rest of my opinion.

9 hours ago, East New York said:

If I can give my opinion, why don't we set it up like the Bx12/Bx12+?

Have the B82 local operate between Spring Creek and Bay 37th St while the B82 SBS operates the full line?

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Have the B82 local operate between Spring Creek and Bay 37th St while the B82 SBS operates the full line?

How about we take it another step and have the SBS go to Gateway Mall? Have the businesses over there accept the SBS receipts for a discount on their purchases and that should bring the connectivity to traffic generators that is so desperately needed.

Better than having the SBS miss major areas, like the People’s Playground (Coney Island) and major shopping areas. 

11 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

How about we take it another step and have the SBS go to Gateway Mall? Have the businesses over there accept the SBS receipts for a discount on their purchases and that should bring the connectivity to traffic generators that is so desperately needed.

Better than having the SBS miss major areas, like the People’s Playground (Coney Island) and major shopping areas. 

No point. Kings plaza has most of the same stores that gateway has now. They’re opening a target in midwood soon. People who want to go to gateway don’t really have to anymore because they have options now. 

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The stated reason was that the rest of the line to Coney Island has low ridership.

2 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

There is a mistake on the bus map service guide.

"During periods when B82 Limited service operates (see below), all service between

Coney Island and Pennsylvania/Seaview Avs is operated as limited service."

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/busbkln2.pdf

There's multiple mistakes in that service guide. Go take a look at the S79 box for example

1 hour ago, P3F said:

The stated reason was that the rest of the line to Coney Island has low ridership.

I believe it was because of faster alternatives and the fact that the B82 was not designed to go to Coney Island. When the proposal was first made, they wanted to have all buses to go to Coney Island. Instead, because of MTA cost-cutting philosophy, they had alternate trips terminating not at Canal Avenue, but at Bay 38th St. If all trips went to Coney Island, we would not have low ridership, and thus, the SBS short-turn at Bay 38th St. I think it was @BrooklynBus who made this concern.