Select Bus Service Discussion Thread

Union Tpke

4 hours ago, Brillant93 said:

No point. Kings plaza has most of the same stores that gateway has now. They’re opening a target in midwood soon. People who want to go to gateway don’t really have to anymore because they have options now. 

But Kings Plaza does not have a target store. But a 82SBS would be good plus it’s only a 1/2 mile on Flatlands to Schenck vs going via the Belt Parkway.  [Alternative SBS82’s]

So. New target store on Kings Highway and East 14th Street opens later this year  

and in about 18 mos from now. Target on Kings Highway and Foster Avenue. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

But Kings Plaza does not have a target store. But a 82SBS would be good plus it’s only a 1/2 mile on Flatlands to Schenck vs going via the Belt Parkway.  [Alternative SBS82’s]

I was thinking of all B82 SBS to Gateway Mall via the Belt Pkwy. This is the current B83 routing. All buses would stop at the Seaview Avenue Loop along Seaview Avenue (where the route currently turns around), whether coming to or from the mall. That plan would help better serve the mall for all of Spring Creek and Canarsie, and in fact, improve service between Southern Brooklyn and the mall by making it accessible with one or two buses.

One problem: that bus terminal would have to be doubled to fit more bus routes, unless we can do what is currently going on at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, where one bay can hole two route (at Williamsburg Plaza, lane 1 carries the B39 and the Q54, and Lanes 2 carries the more frequent B60 and B24). Maybe that could work.

10 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

If the B82 sbs extends to gateway might as well not call it B82 imo. B80?

I would rather keep the designations the same, just like the service pattern of the Bx12 Local and SBS, where the local short turns at Pelham Bay and the SBS goes to Bay Plaza.

22 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

So. New target store on Kings Highway and East 14th Street opens later this year  

and in about 18 mos from now. Target on Kings Highway and Foster Avenue. 

I know I’m just saying there won’t be any need for straphangers to go all the way to gateway mall when they have better options via bus. 

1 hour ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I would rather keep the designations the same, just like the service pattern of the Bx12 Local and SBS, where the local short turns at Pelham Bay and the SBS goes to Bay Plaza.

The Bx12 is confusing to tourists. You gor Bx12 local's terminating all over the dam place, while the Bx12 SBS is so bunched its insane.

Regardless of what Kings Plaza has or hasn't, now why would they extend the B82 SBS to Gateway when they've cut it back from Coney Island? Latent ridership is great & all - but not if it's going to compromise runtime & more or less nullify the mileage they saved by ending buses at the depot....

Leave that stint on the Belt for the B83; you don't need both of those routes (82/83) in Starrett running to Gateway... I don't see the MTA subjecting the SBS' to that highway traffic anyway...

Edited by B35 via Church

2 minutes ago, Yankees4life said:

Yeah, B82SBS to the mall? That's asking for trouble traffic wise. If people want the mall, they can transfer to the B83

Easy if you live along the route. If not, that would entail two transfers that would cost riders another $2.75 going in one direction. Better to have it run via the Belt Pkwy, and modifying the pkwy to have HOV lanes for them.

The purpose of the B82 extension to Gateway is to make it easier for those who live in Southern Brooklyn to get to that mall with one or two buses. Having people transfer from their origin bus route (such as the B74) to the B82 then to the B83 will cost them another $2.75. That plan saves the riders money, which could then be used for their shopping adventures there.

3 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Easy if you live along the route. If not, that would entail two transfers that would cost riders another $2.75 going in one direction. Better to have it run via the Belt Pkwy, and modifying the pkwy to have HOV lanes for them.

The purpose of the B82 extension to Gateway is to make it easier for those who live in Southern Brooklyn to get to that mall with one or two buses. Having people transfer from their origin bus route (such as the B74) to the B82 then to the B83 will cost them another $2.75. That plan saves the riders money, which could then be used for their shopping adventures there.

That's too bad for them. You can't get ANOTHER bus on Belt Parkway especially with that traffic. Those people better think of alternative routes quick if they don't want to pay another 2.75. Not my problem. And certainly not worth the (MTA)'s time in extending a route for those people.

Day 3 of 82sbs

So I didn't take it going to work today but I did end up taking it coming home. Since after the religious holidays and traffic is back to its usual the sbs seems to be the same as the limited. Dwell times at bus stops are significantly shorter and getting to the bus stops on the big part of kings hwy are much faster. But as I said before they need to put more sbs buses. Waiting for 10 minutes off peak is bad but on the flip side the local buses are more frequent. On my way home I decided to wait for the sbs but when I got to the bus stop the local was there. The crowding is picking up on the sbs buses now. I think if you're in a hurry to get home wait and see which bus is coming first local or sbs before you pay. I believe if you get on whatever comes first your travel time is cut down but if you're waiting for sbs and its a few minutes behind the local and you're not going far its going to take you a while.  

33 minutes ago, P3F said:

Kings Highway's bus lane from E 16 to E 17 Street.vV5DzF5.jpg

I was just there this morning. Saw it when on the bus riding the B82 SBS for the first and on the platform as well? Are they not finished painting yet?

Also, speaking of riding the B82 SBS, here is my experience riding the route on Day 4:

I arrive at the bus stop at 7:14 A.M. Despite being a new service, I promptly insert my MetroCard into the MetroCard Machine and get my receipt. 2 minutes later, the bus arrives, and I board and notice a moderate crowd, even though were in rush hour. We then travel on its new routing along Avenue K and Kings Hwy, which honestly should've been done a LONG TIME AGO. As we turn onto the Kings Hwy service road, I notice there are bus lanes in the main roadway, yet the bus stop for BOTH the B7 and B82 SBS is on the service road, which begs the question of WHY? Anyway, once the stop is made, we then proceed down the service road, finally merging onto the main roadway bus lanes at about East 40th St. At Ryder St, I notice how there are new leaning benches there, like what the renovated (R) train stations have. After travelling down the wide portion of Kings Hwy and passing two B7 and a B82 local at Bedford Avenue, and heading on Avenue P, I notice how there are new left-turn bans for all vehicles except for buses, which is beneficial, although they should also have a left turn signal for them as well, which is activated when a bus nears. 15 minutes later, the bus finally arrives at the station.

My thought: Its great, but it could uses some modifications by having the bus stops near the main roadway bus lanes, especially at Avenue K. Just my opinion, but it could be beneficial to eliminate the somewhat slow merge onto the main roadway.

10 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

As we turn onto the Kings Hwy service road, I notice there are bus lanes in the main roadway, yet the bus stop for BOTH the B7 and B82 SBS is on the service road, which begs the question of WHY? 

My thought: Its great, but it could uses some modifications by having the bus stops near the main roadway bus lanes, especially at Avenue K. Just my opinion, but it could be beneficial to eliminate the somewhat slow merge onto the main roadway.

Either the DOT is incompetent, or they are trying to spite the area's residents. My guess is a mix of both.

I've heard that the E 23 St to Av K bus lanes will operate 24/7, even though the Select Bus doesn't operate nights and weekends. Kings Hwy doesn't even have any buses on it between Flatbush Av and Av K overnight, since the B7's overnight service was eliminated in 2010. If the 24/7 part turns out to be true, this is absolutely ridiculous and means it's time to start contacting elected officials. Nobody should be getting bus lane tickets from bus lanes that buses don't use!

Edited by P3F

3 minutes ago, P3F said:

Either the DOT is incompetent, or they are trying to spite the area's residents. My guess is a mix of both.

I've heard that the E 23 St to Av K bus lanes will operate 24/7, even though the Select Bus doesn't operate nights and weekends. Kings Hwy doesn't even have any buses on it between Flatbush Av and Av K overnight, since the B7's overnight service was eliminated in 2010. If the 24/7 part turns out to be true, this is absolutely ridiculous and means it's time to start contacting elected officials. Nobody should be getting bus lane tickets from bus lanes that buses don't use!

I didn't see any listed times the lanes would be in effect? Can't they do 7 AM to 7 PM enforcement, like every other bus lane? Call me when overnight traffic on Kings Hwy and Flatlands Avenue goes into a huge mess.

What does the DOT have against Southern Brooklyn?

2 minutes ago, JeremiahC99 said:

I didn't see any listed times the lanes would be in effect? Can't they do 7 AM to 7 PM enforcement, like every other bus lane? Call me when overnight traffic on Kings Hwy and Flatlands Avenue goes into a huge mess.

What does the DOT have against Southern Brooklyn?

7 AM-10 AM + 3 PM-7 PM is a common setup, and would be adequate. 7 AM - 7 PM would still be better than 24/7.

I don't know. If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say that they're mad about most of the bus lanes further west being defeated by community opposition. Either that, or it's just a part of their continuous efforts to make driving in NYC more time-consuming and difficult.

1 hour ago, P3F said:

7 AM-10 AM + 3 PM-7 PM is a common setup, and would be adequate. 7 AM - 7 PM would still be better than 24/7.

I don't know. If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say that they're mad about most of the bus lanes further west being defeated by community opposition. Either that, or it's just a part of their continuous efforts to make driving in NYC more time-consuming and difficult.

So this is the DOT retaliating against he community for rejecting their bus lanes?

Day 4 of B82 sbs

Things seems like they're evening more out with service. SBS this morning was about 9 minutes wait time but it seemed less than that. Looks like more people are packing on sbs now instead of the local. The locals again seem more frequent. Got home this afternoon very fast. Lets see how tomorrow is. 

Overrall my experience with the B82 sbs has been okay for this week so far. It comes when it says its supposed to come and the locals are more frequent. More options on kings hwy for passengers to get where they're supposed to be going. There are things that could be worked out on the route but so far its steadily going. 

13 minutes ago, Interested Rider said:

The week to watch will  not be next week as Columbus Day is Monday and while the public schools are closed, the religious schools most likely are open.

The following week will be the real test as all the schools will be open and it will basically be a normal work week.

You are correct. However, the rest of next week is still business as usual. 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:47 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

So this is the DOT retaliating against he community for rejecting their bus lanes?

No, it was a compromise with elected officials. Originally only rush hour lanes were planned. Then Councilman Chaim Deutsch and others complained about parking spots. So DOT offered two alternatives. 

Those alternatives included less bus lanes (meaning more parking spots for Chaim Deutsch and others) but in return things such as left-turn bans. The alternative they chose (a variation of alternative 2) was the one with the least amount of bus lanes, but also one with them being 7-7 instead of rush hour only. You can find the details for each alternative at https://bklyner.com/two-alternatives-for-select-bus-route-along-kings-highway/.

TL;DR: 7-7 lanes weren't retaliation, but part of one of the alternatives offered to parking-obsessed politicians that would reduce bus lanes.

1 hour ago, MidwoodMartin said:

No, it was a compromise with elected officials. Originally only rush hour lanes were planned. Then Councilman Chaim Deutsch and others complained about parking spots. So DOT offered two alternatives. 

Those alternatives included less bus lanes (meaning more parking spots for Chaim Deutsch and others) but in return things such as left-turn bans. The alternative they chose (a variation of alternative 2) was the one with the least amount of bus lanes, but also one with them being 7-7 instead of rush hour only. You can find the details for each alternative at https://bklyner.com/two-alternatives-for-select-bus-route-along-kings-highway/.

TL;DR: 7-7 lanes weren't retaliation, but part of one of the alternatives offered to parking-obsessed politicians that would reduce bus lanes.

I was talking about the lanes on Kings Hwy between Flatbush Avenue and Avenue K. Those are the bus lanes whose 24-hour operation, even though there is no bus service there overnight, are in question. I was wondering if the main road bus lane hours were in retaliation for bus lane rejection, since it would make absolutely no sense to have bus lanes in effect if there are no overnight bus lines to use them.